Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bitch is a gendered insult, like this isn't even debatable.

Anyways, from the LoK WOFF, I really like the contrast they made between it and the reviews for God Hand. As for Abject Suffering, I'll post a pic of my siqqq whip when I get home. :v:

I'm super excited for next week's Esports Today given the shitshow the Shanghai Dota2 Major has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

okay then I guess what I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with saying bitch depending on the context.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
What are your thoughts on using slurs not directed at minorities?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Man Whore posted:

okay then I guess what I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with saying bitch depending on the context.

maybe this is not a good hill to die on my dude

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

y'all are whack

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

HMS Boromir posted:

maybe this is not a good hill to die on my dude

If saying that you can say bitch sometimes is a controversial opinion on Something Awful then I don't know what to say.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

umalt posted:

Hey Gary and Kole, just wanna say I enjoyed listening to the last Abject Suffering. It was really cathartic for me. :unsmith:

Also wanna hear your thoughts on the Witness; any plans to do an Extra Level on that?

I know Kole is playing it. I'm scared off by the price tag, Jonathan Blow's personality, the fact that it's solving a bunch of puzzles that could, for the most part, be done on paper and the fact that apparently there's an optional puzzle that requires listening to a GDC speech that JBlow likes. It has an air of patronizing that stokes my contrarian streak. That is a cocktail of turn-offs for me.

That said, I'd like to try it when I"m more economically sound or it goes down in price. But I'm not in a rush.

With regards to the word, "bitch," that discussion is just going to turn this board into a big dumpster fire again and we had just got back to talking about video game podcasts. I choose not to use it and don't like its casual use and that's OK! Also, pointing out areas of a game that feel squicky in their treatment, such as slavery in Morrowind, is part of my experience so it's going to end up in the episode. Also OK!

Bringing back to gaming podcasts: The most recent Retronauts, dawgs. It's real, real good. It was so good that despite my strong feelings of disagreement about FF8's soundtrack, I powered through. Where is my parade?

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Edit: Never mind.

Kole sent me an annotated copy of Final Fantasy XIII for 360. I don't own the console, but I will treasure these three entire discs.

Cast Iron Brick fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 27, 2016

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Gary, when's the cutoff for responses on Shadow Tower Abyss? This game is so rad

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It is. Imagine if you could take out the final boss of a Souls game with a loving sniper rifle

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
whoo boy bonfireside chat better clear its loving schedule

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't like the art design at all but this actually looks decent. Endless runner stylings but actual level design like someone merged Ghosts n Goblins with Splatterhouse.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

that dislike bar :eyepop:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

Gary, when's the cutoff for responses on Shadow Tower Abyss? This game is so rad

Less than 3 weeks, most likely. Sooner is better. I can't wait to start Abyss. I'm in the weeds with WOFF games at the moment but looking forward to clearing my schedule.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Woffle posted:

Bringing back to gaming podcasts: The most recent Retronauts, dawgs. It's real, real good. It was so good that despite my strong feelings of disagreement about FF8's soundtrack, I powered through. Where is my parade?

Yeah, I'm the opposite of Jeremy there. I love FF9's music, and couldn't even remember a track off of 8's. Then again I really disliked that game and never played it past the year it came out.

It warmed my heart to hear them all highlight Into the Darkness from FF4 though. It's probably still my favorite piece of Final Fantasy music and, though it may seem a bit quaint today, back in 1992 it was definitely a I-can't-believe-this-coming-out-my-videogames moment.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm listening to the Retronauts now and I'm in full agreement of its awesomeness. This has to be one of the best episodes they've ever done.

I'm so happy they highlighted the intro to FF6 where Terra's theme plays while the Magitek armors walk through the snow. That is one of my favorite combinations of music and narrative in any game ever. Most of the really great music moments in games up until that had been all about epic, awesome, adventure moments but that was the first time I sat and thought "Wow, that's.... evocative," even though I don't know if I knew that word when I was 12.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
You can hear how much love and work went into that Retronauts episode, and all of the hosts were super on-point with their commentary (even though I'd love if FF9 got more love). The whole thing was a delightful part of my week, and I'm looking forward to whenever they around to talking Mitsuda.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Whatever you think about FF8's music as a whole I don't know how anyone can forget The Man with the Machine Gun. It's one of the few video game songs I know by name beyond "XYZ Game Level 5 song" or whatever.

I haven't listened to the Retronauts episode but I really enjoy how Uematsu builds upon his own style. Like The Dark Messenger, Intention of the Earth, and Living Forest have similar melodies but are completely different songs thematically and there's even some DNA from Tyrano Lair and Heresy.

Also Uematsu loves his prog rock. Tell me you don't hear some Emerson Lake and Palmer in Fight On!

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Yeah, they did an entire episode on the influence of Prog-Rock over video game composers, one of their other best episodes too, imo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I must have missed that one, but I'm sure they must have talked about Motoi Sakuraba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JWAGs7zkwo

But yeah, sticking to Uematsu, I unironically love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U
That is Deep Purple's Ian Gillan.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 28, 2016

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Before we get off of that Retronauts, how on earth did you gets get away with not mentioning Matoya's Theme? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cydRVuK8OoM

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Woffle posted:

I know Kole is playing it. I'm scared off by the price tag... the fact that it's solving a bunch of puzzles that could, for the most part, be done on
The 3D environment is completely integral to the game, there's a whole hidden side to it that definitely wouldn't work on paper, and the progression of that stuff that does work on paper often ends up being twisted in a way that would only work as a video game. Or some sort of physical installation or something.

And there's a ton of content, my friends and I easily got our money's worth! But the value is down to how much you enjoy the puzzles, obviously. It's my GOTY so far for sure.

The rest is true, though.

Edit: and the last boss loving rules

Akuma fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 28, 2016

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Listening to the Faceball 2000 (MIDI Maze!) episode of Abject Suffering, and it seems like a good excuse to post this wonderful video of an ancestral game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7chDIySXK2Q

A cool historical artifact, and electrifying video presentation.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Woffle posted:

Before we get off of that Retronauts, how on earth did you gets get away with not mentioning Matoya's Theme? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cydRVuK8OoM

We could have mentioned everything, and probably would have, but Kohler has changed since he created life. He was super fidgety to leave for the final half hour of recording, in case he missed baby's first SEGA diss while he was out, or whatever.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

fruitpunch posted:

Yeah, they did an entire episode on the influence of Prog-Rock over video game composers, one of their other best episodes too, imo.

At some point I think the influence started to loop back in the other direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBWTkEzIj0

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

We could have mentioned everything, and probably would have, but Kohler has changed since he created life. He was super fidgety to leave for the final half hour of recording, in case he missed baby's first SEGA diss while he was out, or whatever.

Sorry, I'm sure you've gotten a flood of "Why didn't you mention this???" messages. And no matter how much I love Matoya's Theme, I can agree Mini-Kohler's first SEGA diss is more important.

As far as the Witness, the key word in my point about the paper thing is "largely." I'm aware that several puzzles incorporate the environment, but the vast majority don't.

Each of those off putting factors would have been something I would have overcome if I were more of a puzzle game guy, I think. I love Portal, I'm loving The Talos Principle. But I'm never super psyched to do puzzles in the news paper or anything Again, some day I'm sure I'll check it out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Black Mages' rendition of Matoya's theme has been one of my favorite music tracks for many years. It's really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl8_r4NPNjg

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Man Whore posted:

yeah goddamn, to be honest I think an endless runner where there's no death (just being knocked down/back and getting up again) except for being caught by the abyss/fog is actually a good concept for a cheapo souls mobile game; stuff like having lil sprite nitos as speedbump enemies is very kitschy but anybody who takes that stuff seriously and gets real mad about it reminds me of the goons who were actually angry that dark souls 2 had sunbros and "praise the sun" in it

the ship on dark souls being some singular, sacred thing sailed years ago

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I disliked it because it looks really lovely not because I have any reverence for dark souls

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Boy I can't wait for the Bonfireside Chat on Slashy Souls, I just can't figure out the lore implications of such mysterious characters as "blue skeleton" and "Gravelord Nito but at 1/7th scale."

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Woffle posted:

As far as the Witness, the key word in my point about the paper thing is "largely." I'm aware that several puzzles incorporate the environment, but the vast majority don't.

Each of those off putting factors would have been something I would have overcome if I were more of a puzzle game guy, I think. I love Portal, I'm loving The Talos Principle. But I'm never super psyched to do puzzles in the news paper or anything Again, some day I'm sure I'll check it out.

Thinking about it, the game really wouldn't work on paper, because opaque rules enforcement is a huge part of how it plays out. Learning the rules of the puzzles often involves finding a solution through experimentation and further experimenting to hone your understanding, and any hypothetical paper version of the Witness' puzzles would have to include the very rules they're trying to teach you so you can check your answers. It would completely fall apart without something else checking your answers. Could some of it work as a simple 2D video game? I guess, but the additional dimension of the island environment opens up the solution possibility space for all puzzles, even if they don't directly involve it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

I disliked it because it looks really lovely not because I have any reverence for dark souls

gently caress you, pal!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're not my pal, buddy

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

Save yourself the $40 and just do a mock SAT test online or something. It's just as fun and productive as playing the witness! :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Woffle posted:

The Witness is one huge hackneyed Blow-ism and I don't expect or care if people enjoy it or not but you're wrong if you think the island is just a framing device for a ton of diner tray mazes or whatever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Captain Invictus posted:

The Black Mages' rendition of Matoya's theme has been one of my favorite music tracks for many years. It's really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl8_r4NPNjg

Yeah, it's good poo poo. I like the XIV version too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orvKqkgWZOc

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Witness is one huge hackneyed Blow-ism and I don't expect or care if people enjoy it or not but you're wrong if you think the island is just a framing device for a ton of diner tray mazes or whatever.

You're arguing with someone who isn't here. I haven't played it, I'm just going by what I've heard (from people who played, and loved, the game). So, now I have heard from them that a lot of the puzzles are sequential dinner tray puzzles (good term!) and from you that it's 100% wrong. :shrug: I don't care enough to argue about it, definitely not before playing it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Man Whore posted:

Sometimes I wish there really was a conspiracy to end all Gamers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Sometimes I wish there really was a conspiracy to end all Gamers.

It looks like extremely cheap garbage, I'm not sure why people are rushing to defend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

It looks like extremely cheap garbage, I'm not sure why people are rushing to defend it

Earnest Evans animation aside it doesn't look like cheap garbage. There's actual level design to it or at least the illusion that someone made an endless runner that has more nuance to it than 100% flat terrain with bottomless pits and static obstacles.

• Locked thread