Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
Reading, religious activities and volunteering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
physical training, volunteering Let's get swole and help people.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Reading, Socializing, Religious, Volunteering. She's not going to be a superstar, but she's going to be a nice lady, drat it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nerdpony posted:

I haven't seen this before either, except after immigrating, when you suddenly speak a different language and are a different religion.

The language and religion change make me suspect we must have moved to Bali (where Balinese Hinduism is actually the most common religion by far).

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Checked out Real Lives 2010, but the amount of bugs is staggering. Some highlights:

• Sometimes not being able to invest money (the game shows "invalid amount")
  • Spontaneous conversions, even when not changing regions. This led to a hilarious situation where my Muslim Punjabi character became Hindu after first six years, re-converted after marrying, then became a Sikh. Every conversion she also changed her language.
  • My Russian character's love life was terrible - every woman the game generated had the same name (a male one) and was never interested in him.
  • A Serbian character was born in . As in - the game put an empty string there.
  • A family member had an accident, damaged his spine and become paralyzed. The game still lists them as completely fine and working as a laborer.
  • Tried to have a child and impregnated my character's wife. The child was never born and the button to try to have another one was grayed out, even after 10 years.

This is a nice, funny app, but simply not worth $30.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The dev did say they were working on a 2016 version. Hopefully those things will get fixed.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

Checked out Real Lives 2010, but the amount of bugs is staggering. Some highlights:

• My Russian character's love life was terrible - every woman the game generated had the same name (a male one) and was never interested in him.

This happened to me as well, and for some reason it was an English name. So my Indian male character was married to "Samuel Burns", who also happened to be the boyfriend of his daughter, and the wife of two of his sons. When his father died and his mother remarried, she - of course - married Samuel Burns as well.

Moreover, immigration in the 2010 version seems to be hosed. It only seems to cost you money when you move to rich countries, while other poor areas are apparently totally free to move to. Moving from Brazil to Bhutan didn't cost me a thing, and every newly generated character after that still had a Brazilian/Portugese name for some reason. Also, it would seem that your entire extended family (parents, siblings and their spouses/children) always move with you even if you have your own residence.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The most hilarious thing I found was my character's brother who would constantly romance men despite having died from multiple sclerosis 20 years before. All his boyfriends would die after one, maybe two years - apparently unprotected ghost sex can have really bad consequences.

Edit:

Comrade Koba posted:

This happened to me as well, and for some reason it was an English name. So my Indian male character was married to "Samuel Burns", who also happened to be the boyfriend of his daughter, and the wife of two of his sons. When his father died and his mother remarried, she - of course - married Samuel Burns as well.

Should be "Palmer Eldritch".

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

There is a demo of 2007 kicking around the internet, though, and it's super easy to cheese the 3-life limit

How? I know you can revert to birth and replay the same life over again; is there another way?

Gantolandon posted:

The most hilarious thing I found was my character's brother who would constantly romance men despite having died from multiple sclerosis 20 years before. All his boyfriends would die after one, maybe two years - apparently unprotected ghost sex can have really bad consequences.

*Name* used Curse! It's super effective!

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
In the life I'm doing now, I'm a wealthy doctor living in Berlin. Gourmand diet. My daughter has a goiter. THIS GAME.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The life of Rasuna Irawan, part 2

Age 8

Rasuna is a peculiar girl, rarely seen playing with the other children. Instead, she spends most of her time poring over books, with a particular interest in religious texts and history books. She also becomes an appreciated presence in the village, helping out less fortunate families in any way she can.

Age 9

Martial arts with knives sounds like a rather dangerous hobby if you ask me. I'd stick to badminton.

Rasuna has yet another brother!

Her mother is still young enough that she might be able to plop out a few more siblings for Rasuna if she puts her back into it! Economically, the family is put under a bit of strain with the new mouth to feed.

Hadjer, the brother who was hit by the car, has recovered enough to return to his active lifestyle of adventuring. He celebrates by promptly falling out of a tree and hurting his brain :saddowns:

Age 10

Baby keeps everybody awake with his incessant coughing for a while, but recovers decently quickly.

Rasuna gets goit again, due to her family's reduced diet.

LP goitre count: 3

:ohdear:

More interesting hinduism facts!

Age 11

Rasuna's oldest brother turns eighteen! :toot:

Shortly afterwards, he marries a nice girl from the village.

Together they make ends meet by scavenging and reselling used goods from the local area.

More coughing in the family.

Rasuna's kid brother starts school.

Indonesian food is pretty drat good and I kinda want to have some now.

Age 12

Hairun moves out, to start a new scrap collecting family with his wife.

Brother-Manusama has worms again. Rasuna is now old enough to understand how disgusting it is very well.

He also graduates school, and is engaged to be married to his girlfriend for a while although it ultimately doesn't work out for them.

He follows in his older brother's footsteps, helping him out on his scavenging runs to the local garbage dumps.

Rasuna is un-goitered!

Age 13

Rasuna falls in love for the first time, becoming smitten with the youngest son of a neighbouring family. He's not much to look at, but Rasuna is kind-hearted enough to see his inner beauty. Does she dare tell him how she feels?

Hadjar is in really bad shape due to his tendency to constantly get into bad accidents. The rest of the family is in decent shape though. With the extra money Manusama Jr is bringing in, they are currently eating pretty well too.

Also, kid bro has goitre.

LP goitre count: 4

Rasuna is still a melancholy girl, but her hitting the books has paid off, and she is practically on the path to sainthood at this rate.

So, time to decide Rasuna's policy regarding relationships. How picky is she? What is she looking for in a partner? Will she actively pursue relationships? Should she try to get married?

Also, just in case: Should she try to go to trade school if the option is given? I think it's unlikely, but it's best to be prepared!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

No relationships until trade school or its confirmed unavailable

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rasuna is a nice girl and should not have to settle for someone that isn't as nice as her. Her relationships must be with people that are as conscious and wise as she is, and ugly here does not fit the bill. Oh, and since education is a must, she'll go to trade school if the chance appears.

Also people in Indonesia sure marry young.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
No relationships for a while for so many reasons. Trade school is a good idea

I think before Rasuna gets entangled with some of these dudes, she should try get a decent job and move to a place with safe water/sanitation/healthcare. Then look for a dude with conscience >=80.

I am concerned about her lowish health and especially her melancholic happiness. Is depression a thing that can happen to you? What affects that happiness stat besides relationships?

I was hoping she would turn out to be a lesbian because I'm afraid any serious relationship for a heterosexual girl in this environment will lead to lots of kids, extra poverty, and hardship :ohdear:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
No relationships until we go to Trade School, if we can't we die alone.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Any (and every) port in a storm

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Wow it's cool and kinda weird to see other people talking about this game. My latest life looks pretty promising already, newborn boy in India with 81 intelligence, 91 artistic and 97 musical ability.

As for this game, we should stay away from relationships for a while, and give trade school a shot if we can.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, is conscience a practical trait like say intellect, or is it just something the game uses to give you points for not min-maxing?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

No relationships just yet, and yes to trade school.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
No relationships, we're married to Ganeesha :colbert:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Indonesian food is way, way too good. Nasi Goereng 4 lyfe yo.

Also Trade School

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Covski posted:

This is a Good Post, as well as a good username/post combo. Please post stuff like this if you have any more disgusting trivia about diseases we encounter in the game!

Thanks! Fortunately there's no shortage fascinating and grotesque medical conditions in the world. If we see some other particularly interesting conditions, I'll definitely post on them.

No to boys, yes to trade school

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

ButtDoktor posted:

Thanks! Fortunately there's no shortage fascinating and grotesque medical conditions in the world. If we see some other particularly interesting conditions, I'll definitely post on them.

Dr. ButtDoktor sir, while I have you here, a quick question:

Is it your medical opinion that Rasuna's childhood might be described approximately as a survival horror experience with Rasuna and her family as the protagonists and various horrific worms as the antagonists?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Is it your medical opinion that Rasuna's childhood might be described approximately as a survival horror experience with Rasuna and her family as the protagonists and various horrific worms as the antagonists?

Let's just say that there's a reason why "body horror" can cause such universal revulsion, and it's not because foreign invaders in your body are a new or unusual concept.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Does the game model skipping school to earn money for the family, or dropping out entirely? I'm guessing we can sort-of do that for ourselves by selecting our focus to shape the stats, but I'd have to think that our siblings in this case would also be doing something like that.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
There's an option to quit school, but until you're about ~14 it will say something like, 'it's better to play while you're still young' if you try to get a job. Though in some cases the game can randomly decide a family member will 'not be able to attend school' despite their health and apparent resources being sufficient. Oh, and naturally, if you're starving to death you 'become too sick' to go.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

Surprisingly, I'd say no.

If I had to choose worm to be infected with, the hookworms that Rasuna and her family have would be probably #2 on my list. They're pretty unpleasant and also do the "pop out into the lungs and get swallowed" deal, but the worms will die off in a year or two even without medication, as long as village decides to dig a latrine and not grow their crops with night soil (human feces as fertilizer). There's extremely cheap and effective meds to get rid of them too, if her family can get access.

Now the real body invasion / worm horror happens with two of my favorites, the first of which I've actually seen in the US.

One is the pork tapeworm. If you eat under-cooked pork from an infected pig, there will be little larva hanging out in the meat, and then you'll get a tapeworm in the gut. This isn't so bad. The problem is that adult tapeworms send out eggs in their host's poop, and if you happen to eat an egg, like if an infected food-handler hasn't washed his hands, now the larva treat you as a pig. They break out of your gut, and float in your blood looking for a good place to wait until their host (you) gets eaten by another animal, so that they can become adult tapeworms. A common place they end up is your brain. They'll hang out in a cyst and live for years/decades without causing any symptoms, until they die of old age (assuming you haven't been eaten). Then, your body finally realizes it has brain worms and you start having terrible headaches or seizures when your immune system tries to fight it.

Here's a scan of a normal human brain vs one with a bunch of worms hanging out:

Each one of those little white dots inside the black circles is a worm larva.

The most horrific worm I can think of is Loa loa. You get this by hanging out in Africa or India, and then get infected with worm larva through a deerfly bite. These bad boys then go for a road trip under your skin, and are known to end up in your eyes. It's not gory, but some people might find this a bit unpleasant so I'll spoiler the picture. You treat the worm in the eye with surgery, which you can easily find on GIS if you're inclined to see something really gruesome.

tl;dr: don't eat at dirty places and wear bug spray in Africa.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

I knew some woman in college who had that happen to her in high school.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thank you for the information, but thank you even more for spoiling that last picture.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

ButtDoktor posted:

Eyewormseyewormseyewormseyewormseyewormseyewormseyewormswormseyewormseyewormseyewormsthatliveinyoureye

:ohdear:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Oh man, I really enjoy this non-game a lot. It's nice to see it getting some love!

I think my most successful run was a guy from Martinique who managed to save enough to pack his bags (and his wife and sons' bags) and move to Australia. There he sunk his last $10,000 into a clothes cleaning business and became a billionaire. Yes, billion. It was crazy! On the down side, he died fairly young... from eating gourmet foods for half his life - or a broken heart since his wife died not long before him. :<
He was well known for giving a LOT of money to charity, so was greatly missed.

Far better than the run where I had a poor blind potter who had been blind since she was 50 and died at 84. She kept making those pots and supporting her family and ended up outliving all but one of her children (and her husband). :<

Also yes to the saintly, wise young men that she'll meet in trade school.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ButtDoktor posted:

It's not gory, but some people might find this a bit unpleasant so I'll spoiler the picture.

Hey, it's probably that one where they pull out a tiny worm from under your eyelid with a tweezer, that one isn't so b...

... :stonk: :barf:

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Yes to trade school and waiting on a boyfriend who has a similarly high conscience.

(No to eye worms.)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The life of Rasuna Irawan, part three

Age 13

Rasuna commits to waiting for the right boy.

Big sis graduates school!

She takes up farm work, like her father.

Age 14

While Rasuna and here family are not exactly wealthy, she can definitely spare 100 rupees (around 1 cent).

:unsmith:

Manusama takes up nursing, having grown tired of the adventurous life of rummaging through people's junk.

Hadjar's incredible run of bad luck continues. (For those of you keeping track it's: Hit by car, fell and hurt his brains, roundworms)

oh god this is the first time i've noticed that the worms can become as thick as pencils my eyes must have glossed over that every time i've read that before

Even so, he has managed to survive long enough to graduate secondary school :toot:

Six-year-old Madja, the youngest brother, idolizes his big bro to point of emulating even his most dangerous misadventures, and pays for it with permanent afflictions of his own.

That same year, he begins school. All the other kids call him Limpy. :saddowns:

Age 15

Thread goitre count: lost track

Fire strikes.

Luckily, it's on a completely different island. Indonesia has a lot of islands, as we've learned.

I wanted to make a "No smoke without fire" joke here, but I couldn't make one work. Anyway, Rasuna currently doesn't strike me as the smoking type.

He is attractive, but too much of a 'bad boy' type for Rasuna.

Big sis marries and moves out on her own.

Poor Hadjar. (hit by car, fell and hurt brain, roundworms, malaria) :smith:

Despite his ailing health, he moves out on his own. Maybe he feels he needs to get away from this unlucky place.

worms worms worms worms worms :can:

Age 16

See you soon! :wave:

Rasuna is now old enough to be keenly aware of the injustices of society.

Another fire, again nothing that affects Rasuna.

Another boy is rejected.

After a long hard life, Rasuna's father enters a new line of less physically demanding work.

Another one of Rasuna's brothers, the quiet one who doesn't have horrible thing happening to him all the time, graduates and starts working. Like the rest of his family, he does good honest manual labour.

Age 17

There is fighting in another part of the country.

Brother-Manusama moves out. The house is rapidly starting to feel very empty.

Rasuna's first niece is born :3:

The Quiet Brother is engaged to be married.

Shortly afterwards he starts working in the mines, earning a nice paycheck to pay for the future wedding.

Age 18

Rasuna graduates from secondary school! You'll note that she wasn't offered to go to trade school, I guess being a girl of mediocre intelligence in a rural part of a relatively poor country will do that. On the other hand, none of her older brothers went on to any kind of higher education either.

Time to look for a job!

This is the full list of jobs Rasuna can apply for right now. Her options are quite limited due to being a woman, uneducated, as well as living in a rural area.

With the parents at the height of their life-income cycle and Mahisa-Campaka bringing in a third salary to the household they are decently wealthy, having even been able to afford a television! Oh, and they're Indonesian-speaking muslims now. I don't even know :dawkins101:

Votes!

First, what should Rasuna do about her living situation?

A) Move to the city, she can probably do a lot of good there
B) Move out on her own, but stay in the local area
C) Keep living with her parents, someone will have to take care them when they grow old

Secondly, what sort of career should Rasuna pursue? A general category of jobs is fine, as the specific options will change over time anyway.

Thirdly: Rasuna now has the option to spend her leisure time on social/political activism. She already has a large social pathos, but acting against the government might be dangerous. Should she do it?

Covski fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 1, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I swear I'm going to develop a worm phobia by the end of this LP.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

All this has led up to one thing: activist Rasuna.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
For now, Rasuna should be content living at home and helping out her family.

She is considering a job with the Nursery School, as she finds caring for young children to be a great outlet for her maternal character.

However, the living conditions and inequality of her neighbors have led her on the path to greater social consciousness and she seeks to follow in the footsteps of her idol into activism

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ah yes this is the buggy piece of crap game I remember

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shiki Dan posted:

For now, Rasuna should be content living at home and helping out her family.

She is considering a job with the Nursery School, as she finds caring for young children to be a great outlet for her maternal character.

However, the living conditions and inequality of her neighbors have led her on the path to greater social consciousness and she seeks to follow in the footsteps of her idol into activism

I agree with all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Well, and I guess some of the changes in language and religion make a little bit of sense, in a way...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mataram_%28city%29

quote:

Mataram society normally speaks the Sasak language, Bahasa Sasak, which is the native language of the indigenous people of Lombok. Indonesian is the language most widely used in formal business, education and government contexts. When at home or a place of recreation Mataram residents tend to use Mataram Sasak language.

Rasuna started life speaking Sasak at home, most likely because her family are indigenous Sasak. The Sasak are overwhelmingly Muslim.
Sasak language is very closely related to Balinese, and Lombok island where Rasuna lives has a significant minority of Balinese settlers as it is the closest neighbor to the much more famous island of Bali.

So...likely Rasuna's family lived in a very poor and rural village when her father was a stonecutter and her mother was taking care of the kids, but they probably moved when her father and mother got new jobs and Rasuna started school.
They then probably became more influenced by some Balinese neighbors (Bali is majorly Hindu), and mixed some of their beliefs, as religions tend to mix A LOT in Indonesia, with Islam in some regions being able to mix somewhat with Hinduism, Buddhism, and even traditional animist beliefs.

By the time Rasuna and her siblings started traveling to the bigger towns to go to secondary school, they probably became more accustomed to learning and using the lingua franca Indonesian.

• Locked thread