Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Moldy Taxes posted:

This makes me ask, what should my left side melds shoot for? I melded two Crit IVs on my Midas feet, but if I'm prepping for Savage once me and the rest of my crew gear up some should I throw in some accuracy somewhere?

ilifinicus posted:

meld crit when you can, otherwise get your skill speed thresholds next, then determination

This. Crit>det>SS for tanks. Warriors need a certain skillspeed threshold to get in triple fell cleave, but after that crit all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Melding guide for pretty much all classes:

healers -> accuracy and then piety/crit depending on your needs.
tanks -> strength in your first slot rightside, SS for warriors up to threshold, otherwise crit to cap, then det, then ss.
melee dps -> crit, det, ss
casters -> I dunno, but I'm going to guess BLM can use more SS than summoner, but crit is probably still top choice.

EDIT: remember that you can get materia pretty easy these days. All of the ARR rank 3 beast quests will give a choice between 5 different grade IVs and you can get a grade V weekly from void ark. If you need gil, just sell some eso mats on the marketboard.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 27, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Lorev's on Excal with the rest of us. They just share a data center, which is what the instance servers pull from :v:

And now I have learned a thing. So what, you can DF with people who are on other servers, but not form your own parties and what not?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SonicRulez posted:

And now I have learned a thing. So what, you can DF with people who are on other servers, but not form your own parties and what not?

Within the same data center, yes. It's both a cost cutting measure (only need one set of hardware for transferring players between areas) and a way to keep queue times down by pulling from the entire data center for players looking to run specific instances.

It's also why Primal and the two other data centers imploded on Tuesday.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Yes, the duty finder pulls from the whole data center to have a larger pool of players and ostensibly reduce wait times.

I want to echo the use of Centurio Seals to help gear to i170. You get 110 from daily hunts, 100 for the weekly elite, and more for A and S ranks.

The cost for the former i170 Law pieces is super reasonable (140 seals for weapon, 120 for chest/legs, 75 for other armor and 55 for accessories) and the upgrade tokens to 180 are only 65/60/25 seals each. Use this in tandem with Esos from the 60 dungeons and roulettes you CAN do and you can jumpstart your item level quickly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also void ark's weekly farthing drop can be used on gobdip now so you can upgrade your eso weapons to 210.

One thing I find funny is how little they expect out of paladin dps. I can go into a stone, sky, sea for paladin and crush it while my equally geared warrior will struggle or fail.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also void ark's weekly farthing drop can be used on gobdip now so you can upgrade your eso weapons to 210.

One thing I find funny is how little they expect out of paladin dps. I can go into a stone, sky, sea for paladin and crush it while my equally geared warrior will struggle or fail.

Ahem.

Void Ark's whenever you want farthing. Weekly limits were removed on armor and farthings, matter was added and is the only item on a weekly limit there now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skaw posted:

Ahem.

Void Ark's whenever you want farthing. Weekly limits were removed on armor and farthings, matter was added and is the only item on a weekly limit there now.

Ah, gotcha. So yeah, run a bunch of void arks to upgrade all your eso poo poo. It's super easy.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

BLM: pick crit or spellspeed as primary and maximize that, then fill the rest with whatever you didn't choose. If you still have slots left over do whatever with them.

You should always stack a stat as high as possible.

When you're standing still, pure spellspeed is better than pure crit. Once you start moving around, crit pulls ahead the less uptime you have.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Melding guide for pretty much all classes:

healers -> accuracy and then piety/crit depending on your needs.

I'm sure that there are many clear-cut charts that explain why PIE is better. but I like Crit because it makes me feel more powerful of a healer. My heals my heals heal more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Volume posted:

I'm sure that there are many clear-cut charts that explain why PIE is better. but I like Crit because it makes me feel more powerful of a healer. My heals my heals heal more.

If you don't need piety then don't meld it. It's definitely an as needed thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

PIE is totally dependent on whether you're running OOM in a fight. If your passive and cooldown based MP refresh is enough to keep up then whatever, if it's not, add more PIE. Crit remains too swingy to stack as a replacement for more MP/refresh. If healers didn't have to stack Acc now just to land hits on bosses this wouldn't even be a discussion, but as it stands healers are probably almost 300 short to always hit in EXDR, let alone Midas Savage.

Essentially what it boils down to is group composition and your own job on whether you should stack PIE or Crit, and that's probably not something anyone can state reliably yet. Hit your accuracy caps, then go with what feels right for the content you're aiming to do, I guess.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Ignimbrite posted:

Ah :v: Do the ARF, Neverreap and The Fractal Dimension to get gear and endgame currency. When you have enough esoterics to buy some armour, do that. Find a group (if you're on excalibur this'll be easy) to run you through Bismark EX and Ravana EX for weapons. Start your Relic quest (grinding fates) to get an i180 weapon (then do 10 dungeons for an i200 weapon). Once you're i170, do mocciane's and pharos hm, alex and the void ark. Those and esoterics gear will get you to i200. You'll also start getting Lore Tomestones, which is the next (and current) currency gear.

That.... does not sound fun :(

It's really frustrating they put this obstacle in continuing the story.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kwyndig posted:

Within the same data center, yes. It's both a cost cutting measure (only need one set of hardware for transferring players between areas) and a way to keep queue times down by pulling from the entire data center for players looking to run specific instances.

It's also why Primal and the two other data centers imploded on Tuesday.

That makes me kinda sad when a queue takes eons then.

Any advice for me just jumping into HW? I'm still not through 2.5 MSQ, but I'm on the way. My plan was to finish that, the last 2 turns of Coil (I kinda really wanna farm it for the glamour), and try and get through CT before diving in.

EDIT: I also wanted to ask, what's the ETA on the primal gear?

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 27, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

theblackw0lf posted:

As an alternative, you can find a buddy'/group and do hunts. You can get 170 gear quickly and 200/210 gear more gradually.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

It was... more intuitive for first timers last patch, but really Clan Hunts have filled the niche that Law filled. If you're struggling, try to find some A and S class hunts, and do the daily and weekly hunts.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Check out some of the other comments on the subject too, not just the ones which were quoting you. You've got a variety of options. For weapons, with boldface as my suggestions (skip 170/180 and go to 200 if you have the tomes for it):
  • 150 from NPC vendor in Azys Lla (or high quality from a friendly crafter, shouldn't be too expensive)
  • 160 from Neverreap/Fractal
  • 170 from Centurio seals
  • 170 from doing the first step of the anima quest (grinding a bunch of fates)
  • 175 from Bismarck ex
  • 180 from upgrading your Centurio seal weapon (upgrade comes from Centurio seals too)
  • 190 from Ravana ex
  • 200 from esoteric tomes which the game will throw at you for doing pretty much any group content
  • 200 from doing the second step of the anima quest (running 10 specific dungeons, this is easy)
  • 205 from Thordan ex
  • 210 from upgrading your esoteric weapon (upgrade comes as guaranteed drop from every Void Ark)
  • 210 from doing the third step of the anima quest (a painful megagrind)
  • 210 from savage mode Alex Gordias
And for armor/accessories:
  • 150 from NPC vendor in Azys Lla (or high quality from a friendly crafter, shouldn't be too expensive)
  • 160 from Neverreap/Fractal
  • 160 from most common Diadem drops
  • 170 from Centurio seals
  • 180 from upgrading your Centurio seal armor (upgrade comes from Centurio seals too)
  • 180 from uncommon Diadem drops
  • 180 or 185 (compare prices, 185 will probably win) by throwing unreasonable amounts of gil (for a newbie) at crafters
  • 185 from Pharos/Arboretum
  • 190 from normal mode Alex Gordias
  • 195 from Antitower/Amdapor
  • 200 from esoteric tomes which the game will throw at you for doing pretty much any group content
  • 200 from Void Ark (does not give accessories)
  • 210 from upgrading your esoteric armor (upgrade comes as guaranteed drop from every Void Ark)
  • 210 from savage mode Alex Gordias
  • 210 from rare Diadem drops
Basically you can boil it down to, get some easy wins with Centurio seals and any dungeon drops you happen across, and otherwise gear heavily with the esoteric tomes you'll be getting from everything, and once you can run Void Ark, spam that to upgrade your esoteric items (and some additional stopgap 200 gear drops if you're lucky). If you can't even get in the door for the first few dungeons, either do hunts for Centurio seals or grab that 150 gear from the Azys Lla vendor to bump your ilvl high enough to do that.

e: Also I guess PvP has a few options but I'm too lazy to update the list.

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 27, 2016

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Leveling my professions with levequests makes me want to die. Just got Alchemist done, now i need armorer, blacksmith, and goldsmith to round them out to 50.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ravana EX is pretty easy these days if you have an i210 group and semi-competence. The only thing that can really screw you up is the 1-4 sword part.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Finally did the Antitower and right now I wish that Matoya was conscripted to take Minfilia's place. He could be like the chief in a hard boiled noir detective story. Giving you orders. Yelling at you for being stupid. A guy can dream.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

theblackw0lf posted:

Your timing is just awful. One more patch and you will be able to buy NQ 220 crafted gear for pennies because it won't be in demand anymore, like how you can buy vendor whites to get i115 stuff at 50 (well, not that cheap, but same logic). And they just changed up how the tomestones work too, so you can't even bank law and blow through that really fast. Sorry :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As a Dragoon which secondary stats should I be prioritizing on my equipment (aside from Strength of course)? Accuracy, Determination, Criticals, Skill speed...any of these in particular that should be given more attention?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Requesting that the next thread title be "FINAL FANTASY XIV: Go and pick up the drat rocks."

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I'm trying this out on my PS3. It's kind of weird to play an MMO with a controller, but Carbuncle covers me if I fudge it up. May be easier on the PC...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tortolia posted:

Yes, the duty finder pulls from the whole data center to have a larger pool of players and ostensibly reduce wait times.

I want to echo the use of Centurio Seals to help gear to i170. You get 110 from daily hunts, 100 for the weekly elite, and more for A and S ranks.

The cost for the former i170 Law pieces is super reasonable (140 seals for weapon, 120 for chest/legs, 75 for other armor and 55 for accessories) and the upgrade tokens to 180 are only 65/60/25 seals each. Use this in tandem with Esos from the 60 dungeons and roulettes you CAN do and you can jumpstart your item level quickly.

I went from 143 to 183 in 2 days just doing hunts and the levelling and trial roulettes, no extra dungeons. It's really easy.

I did get to do 2 elites in one week though so that extra 100 seals helped. But I had been slacking and had no stockpile before that, so others might have some banked.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Augus posted:

As a Dragoon which secondary stats should I be prioritizing on my equipment (aside from Strength of course)? Accuracy, Determination, Criticals, Skill speed...any of these in particular that should be given more attention?

Crit first then det then skillspeed. You should have more than enough accuracy from your other gear.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Do Heavensward hunts to get Centurio Seals and buy the law gear to get you started. Then run alex 1 when you hit 170 to get 190 gear.

Isn't there a limit for how many Centurios you can get each day though?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 27, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

50DR is also both a good source of esos and fun for its own sake, though you might not have all the dungeons unlocked. It'll also get you poetics which you can dump into ironworks gear and relic items.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

theblackw0lf posted:

Isn't there a limit for how many Centurios you can get each day though?
None whatsoever. If the hunt train is a-rollin' you can probably get over 1k in a day.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Doing your Levelling, Trial and 50 Roulette every day can quickly give you a stock of Esos, so you can run them whilst waiting for the Hunt Train Express.

Also, if you have money to burn, the level 180 craftable gear is pretty cheap now on most servers, especially the NQ, so you can toss cash down on them if you want a quick and easy way to gear up. It's even quicker if you've got goon buddies to craft the gear for you.

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 27, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

None whatsoever. If the hunt train is a-rollin' you can probably get over 1k in a day.

Yeah, there's a limit on marks but you can kill A and S ranks.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
When I first saw the cutscene after beating A8, my first thought was that the book Quickthinx carries around is the hardcover edition of Boingo's manga that told him to stand in that exact spot and the fragment would fall into his paw.

The reality was a lot more disappointing. You thought it was a mere walking fortress, but it was me, Dio!

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 27, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think with the materia and tank changes, they're going to have to elucidate the stats in this game. Now that you can tweak your equipment to a much finer degree, people are going to need to have better feedback on what they're getting out of it. Most players aren't going to know that determination gives you a much lower damage increase than strength, so you get idiots in DF yelling at tanks for melding strength on their jewelry. Few people will know that crit is the best substat unless someone tells them. The fact that there are accuracy requirements in the game but completely invisible to most players is just stupid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What's really bad is that stone, sea, sky has no defense or whatever accuracy is measured against so you can't even tell with that.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Just realized I have 180 esoterics. Maybe I should just do ARF 6 times to get another 300 esos and upgrade to a lvl 200 weapon?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

theblackw0lf posted:

Just realized I have 180 esoterics. Maybe I should just do ARF 6 times to get another 300 esos and upgrade to a lvl 200 weapon?

Do a void ark and make it a 210 weapon.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Really? The hunt board says they're updated daily, and I've already finished the lvl 3 hunts for the day, and am about to finish lvl 2 and 1.

How else can you get more? (besides the weekly elite ones).

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

vOv posted:

50DR is also both a good source of esos and fun for its own sake, though you might not have all the dungeons unlocked. It'll also get you poetics which you can dump into ironworks gear and relic items.

I don't think I have any of the dungeons unlocked for 50DR. Just a bunch of question marks

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

theblackw0lf posted:

Really? The hunt board says they're updated daily, and I've already finished the lvl 3 hunts for the day, and am about to finish lvl 2 and 1.

How else can you get more? (besides the weekly elite ones).
A and S rank hunts. Install Guildwork if you're on PC (and the patch hasn't broken it) or find a hunt ls (probably by shouting until you get an invite to one). In general, I didn't find the level one and two hunts to be worth my time when I could just do an A rank or two instead.

e: to the post directly above: then go unlock 50DR! You get a first-timer bonus of poetics for each dungeon, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Brony Hunter posted:

Doing your Levelling, Trial and 50 Roulette every day can quickly give you a stock of Esos, so you can run them whilst waiting for the Hunt Train Express.

Also, if you have money to burn, the level 180 craftable gear is pretty cheap now on most servers, especially the NQ, so you can toss cash down on them if you want a quick and easy way to gear up. It's even quicker if you've got goon buddies to craft the gear for you.

Wait where do you buy craftable gear? I could never find a market.

• Locked thread