Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Work Friend Keven posted:

No I know you can get by the door but to get onto the hallway that leads to the door you drop off a broken pillar and I didn't think you could get back up.

Nah I just did it last night. You don't get to drop in through the windows and kill everything by knocking the barrel over, but you can climb down instead. It is a tricky area to get in and out of without killing anything, admittedly.

e: hooray for wisdom? anyway f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Fun fact, the door to the tower that separates the rest of Lost Bastille from the bonfire that you get dropped at from The Pursuer fight can be opened from the other side. The barrels and crates are explosive and thus a tossed firebomb or a fire arrow from the ramparts will blow them up and make the door openable. You can completely skip The Pursuer and still get to that other bonfire and the stuff accessible on that side. :eng101:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I was enjoying the Drangleic Sword, but I decided to give the other greatswords I'd picked up a try and see if I liked any of them more. And holy poo poo, I am in love with the claymore!

It has about the same speed and stamina properties as the DS, but R1 is a wide sweep that hits everything in the same area code, and R2 is a lunging attack with incredible range. And since it upgrades with plain titanite, I was able to take it straight to +10; I've been murdering people in Belfry Luna all week and I just finished Harvest Valley, so I'm swimming in titanite. And it weighs less, too, giving me a bit more carrying capacity for armour.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
does anyone have a relative idea of what sl different areas are?

i was getting summoned constantly in the bastille at ~55ish, but am having trouble finding stuff in earthen spire at ~80.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Tabletops posted:

does anyone have a relative idea of what sl different areas are?

i was getting summoned constantly in the bastille at ~55ish, but am having trouble finding stuff in earthen spire at ~80.

Soul level doesn't matter, it's soul memory. People with close enough soul memory can summon one another, zone doesn't matter.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/online-matchmaking might be outdated / incorrect but should give you the general idea.

If you want to summon/get summoned, go to a bonfire and check which zones have orange borders. Those have the most online activity in your SM range.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Trogdos! posted:

Soul level doesn't matter, it's soul memory. People with close enough soul memory can summon one another, zone doesn't matter.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/online-matchmaking might be outdated / incorrect but should give you the general idea.

If you want to summon/get summoned, go to a bonfire and check which zones have orange borders. Those have the most online activity in your SM range.

awesome, thanks!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Fun fact, the door to the tower that separates the rest of Lost Bastille from the bonfire that you get dropped at from The Pursuer fight can be opened from the other side. The barrels and crates are explosive and thus a tossed firebomb or a fire arrow from the ramparts will blow them up and make the door openable. You can completely skip The Pursuer and still get to that other bonfire and the stuff accessible on that side. :eng101:

Waaaait a minute. I've been wandering around the lost bastille and opened a gate near the blacksmith that linked the two areas, but I don't recall noticing the door, crates or barrels you're talking about. Can you post a screengrab? I *think* I've stumbled upon the shortcut that bypasses the ruin sentinels (explored far enough to get to a dark room with a lockstone device and an assassin dude hiding on the ceiling that I promptly murdered) but I don't think I've seen the other route yet. The only bit I've found but not opened yet is the building that's blocked by a petrified guy.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Crazy Achmed posted:

Waaaait a minute. I've been wandering around the lost bastille and opened a gate near the blacksmith that linked the two areas, but I don't recall noticing the door, crates or barrels you're talking about. Can you post a screengrab? I *think* I've stumbled upon the shortcut that bypasses the ruin sentinels (explored far enough to get to a dark room with a lockstone device and an assassin dude hiding on the ceiling that I promptly murdered) but I don't think I've seen the other route yet. The only bit I've found but not opened yet is the building that's blocked by a petrified guy.

if you see a boarded-up wall, smash it to pieces

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You can get over to the other side, but you can't get to the bonfire. There's a knee-high pile of rubble that's impossible to jump over.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Lovely Senorita posted:

if you see a boarded-up wall, smash it to pieces
I found one boarded-up room with exploding mummies in the area with the pursuer and the dogs, that led to the lockstone room I mentioned earlier. I'll go for a jog and see if I missed anything.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well ... if you're going to cheat, you may as well cheat in style ... (no, that's not me, I wouldn't even know how to do that)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

Have you met Lucatiel? It's the room with her.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:darksouls:

e: beat him on my next attempt, I must be overleveled because this guy is way easier than I remember :psyduck:

e2: lmao what even is my life

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 27, 2016

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Your Computer posted:

e: beat him on my next attempt, I must be overleveled because this guy is way easier than I remember :psyduck:

i doubt your level makes much of a difference one way or the other. you're just better at the game now than you were then.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, I finally beat the game. I know it's a thing to have your first Souls game be your favorite, but I'm really hopeful for DS3 because even if I already liked the combat in this game, what I've seen of DS3 makes it a fair bit more faster-paced and brutal which appeals to my love for character-action games.

And even if the general feeling is that this one is the "worst Souls game", it's still absolutely fantastic in a lot of areas, particularly in the diversity of equipment and the art direction in some areas. One of my bigger regrets is sticking to my trio of Estoc/Mace/Zweihander to the end, because on a whim after the final boss I went on a shopping spree for "mundane" weapons like the Longsword and what have you since I felt that that was my run's gimmick and it turns out a fair number of them are pretty drat good weapons too. The Claymore and Winged Spear, in particular, felt like they could've replaced the Estoc and Zweihander with their fantastic movesets.

Also, this series has one of the coolest co-op systems I've ever seen, and I really like how it's justified (or at least, contextualized) in the world of Dark Souls because it gives a surreal feel to everything in the game. The juxtaposition of seeing player ghosts, messages, and bloodstains despite how hauntingly lonesome the game's environments feels great, and the ability to have buddies rolling with you in areas that may be absolutely intimidating to travel in is a welcome option because there are plenty of them.

Thanks for the all the advice I got when I asked questions here as a newbie, and I hope to see you dudes in DS3! (please don't invade me)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i liked dark souls 2 more than 1 overall

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls 2 is way more convenient. Having teleports right off the bat is fantastic.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Dark Souls 2 was the first game I played in the series, and after beating it I decided to run through the first game, finally beating it a few days ago. The general gameplay and mechanics of 2 are definite improvements over the first game. The first game felt better in terms of atmosphere and level design; it had a lot more "now where the hell am I, and what the hell is that?" moments than the second.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
try tounge but hole

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've started a new game to try out SotFS and do all the DLC since i only did sunken king last time and i'm trying to play without shields and i can't get a handle on dodging past small enemies. Anything that has a few swings means that when I've finished dodging I'm out of stamina or just not in a good position to attack. Is it just because I started as deprived and I'm still only level 8? I've got the stats to use the mail breaker now at least which is a step up from the dagger

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Crazy Achmed posted:

I can't grab my own screenshots right now since I recently had to replace my computer and haven't reinstalled DS2 yet so google will have to suffice.

It's that tower in the back, this is the run up straight ahead from McDuff's place.

This is the place from the Pursuer side with the precise door that is blocked by barrels and crates. To the left is that previously pictured run up so there's lots of angles to get to shoot one of the gunpowder barrels and blow up the junk

Alabaster White posted:

You can get over to the other side, but you can't get to the bonfire. There's a knee-high pile of rubble that's impossible to jump over.

And I forgot about this part, which is a shame. I think you can get to a fair bit of stuff on that side still though but it's been awhile since I've run around in there to remember. Still, it's a neat trick that a lot of people never notice.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 27, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jose posted:

I've started a new game to try out SotFS and do all the DLC since i only did sunken king last time and i'm trying to play without shields and i can't get a handle on dodging past small enemies. Anything that has a few swings means that when I've finished dodging I'm out of stamina or just not in a good position to attack. Is it just because I started as deprived and I'm still only level 8? I've got the stats to use the mail breaker now at least which is a step up from the dagger

remember that a neutral dodge is a backstep, which is super handy for a lot of attacks because it puts you outside the enemy range without burning a ton of stamina rolling all over. it's also generally better to roll towards an attack and use your iframes to clip through it than to roll sideways or backwards, because rolling towards will often end you behind your foe, while backwards or sideways keeps them in front of you.

also yeah starting as deprived means you have very little stamina and very few iframes. your roll is going to be poo poo until you hit roughly 95 agility (which i think gives one less iframe than mid-roll in DS1).

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is the place from the Pursuer side with the precise door that is blocked by barrels and crates. To the left is that previously pictured run up so there's lots of angles to get to shoot one of the gunpowder barrels and blow up the junk

also you can just stand inside the tower, a little ways back from the door, and toss a firebomb at the door. the fire damage clips through the door and sets off the barrels.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I've been using the Greatsword all this time and just +5ed a Fume Ultra Greatsword!!! Is it just me or does it have durability problems? The two ultra greatswords both have 70 durability but the Fume UGS is losing durability so quickly for some reason... kind of really disappointed right now

actually it doesn't appear that it's losing durability any faster than the other sword. egads, this is such an inconvenience though. both swords are dropping durability real quick in this zone forsome reason

whalestory fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 27, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

homeless poster posted:

remember that a neutral dodge is a backstep, which is super handy for a lot of attacks because it puts you outside the enemy range without burning a ton of stamina rolling all over. it's also generally better to roll towards an attack and use your iframes to clip through it than to roll sideways or backwards, because rolling towards will often end you behind your foe, while backwards or sideways keeps them in front of you.

also yeah starting as deprived means you have very little stamina and very few iframes. your roll is going to be poo poo until you hit roughly 95 agility (which i think gives one less iframe than mid-roll in DS1).

ok I thought it might be the case and I never remember to backstep. I have no problems dodging through stuff in bloodborne most of the time but I guess if the roll has gently caress all iframes thats the problem

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
I'm trying to max out all the covenants, and the Bellkeepers are giving me grief. At what SM are the towers most active? I'm at 1M right now (Just finished Sunbros) and my map screen shows Belfry Sol as being populated, but I'm getting 1 hit every 20 minutes. Should I just keep going and hope to loop back around in NG+?

PS4, not softbanned, etc.

sex shop clearance rack fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 27, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

White Phosphorus posted:

Am I gonna get banned if I use the x360ce custom driver?

Bandai-Namco has said it's quite possible, whatever that means. That's all we know.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wow, gently caress the Iron Keep.

The knights are easy to kill, at least, but they aggro from ~infinity meters away. The level is full of instakill fire and lava traps, and the archers (who will also aggro from well outside sight range, but not, apparently, outside archery range) are armed with greatbows that will knock you into the lava. Half of the loot is on burning rocks that, even with Flash Sweat running, will kill you faster than the "pick up an item" animation can play.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

ToxicFrog posted:

Wow, gently caress the Iron Keep.

The knights are easy to kill, at least, but they aggro from ~infinity meters away. The level is full of instakill fire and lava traps, and the archers (who will also aggro from well outside sight range, but not, apparently, outside archery range) are armed with greatbows that will knock you into the lava. Half of the loot is on burning rocks that, even with Flash Sweat running, will kill you faster than the "pick up an item" animation can play.

Try rolling through the water pots and then activating flash sweat and then eating a small orange burr and then wearing your best fire resist equipment and then chowing down on a few lifegems.

Should work like a charm.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

When should I be doing the DLC? I'm like 110 right now and just finished the last Great Soul, but can't seem to get any summons for Gank Squad or Sinh, and would like some because I'm a baby. Should I go do some more normal game and level up some more first?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Mr E posted:

When should I be doing the DLC? I'm like 110 right now and just finished the last Great Soul, but can't seem to get any summons for Gank Squad or Sinh, and would like some because I'm a baby. Should I go do some more normal game and level up some more first?

Yeah normally I get to around Undead Crypt before I start seeing major activity in the DLCs. Dunno why.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Sinh is easy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I'll probably go ahead and kill him before heading back, I just have trouble on multi-enemy fights in this game

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

activating flash sweat and then eating a small orange burr
Do not do this. Active Flash Sweat, OR Great Magic Barrier, OR Small Orange Burr, in order of priority.

All of the above stack with being soaked in water, but they do not stack with eachother.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

^^^^^^ what he said

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Try rolling through the water pots and then activating flash sweat and then eating a small orange burr and then wearing your best fire resist equipment and then chowing down on a few lifegems.

Should work like a charm.

Water pots and anything else will do it. I tried doing fire quartz+3 with orange burr, flash sweat and smelter armor and I still couldn't make it through until i rolled through water pots or the lil water pool you can activate with a pharros lockstone at the top of the outside area.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dark Fume Sword with Dark Weapon and Dark Clutch Ring, yea or nay? I love straight swords and I figure this could be a fun build.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Trogdos! posted:

woops. my SM is ~600k i guess. earthen spire/peak/bastille were all orange border'd. Was getting almost no summons though.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
if irony keep and Bastille are orange that USUALLY means pvp.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Dark Fume Sword with Dark Weapon and Dark Clutch Ring, yea or nay? I love straight swords and I figure this could be a fun build.

Dark Fume Sword only gains one tier in Dark whilst losing one in Dex, so if you're 40 Dex you're probably best just keeping it vanilla

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

multijoe posted:

Dark Fume Sword only gains one tier in Dark whilst losing one in Dex, so if you're 40 Dex you're probably best just keeping it vanilla

Plus you can buff it with resins. When I use the sword I max out dex, don't bother with faith/int, and use RobFlynn (Dark Clutch ring as well if there's a free slot) and buff with Dark Pine Resin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Darn. I was envisioning a non-ranged Dark build with the Dark Fume Sword and some Dark Greatswords for coolness points.