Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Part 7 anime gonna be fun guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I'm reading Part 5, and the translation I'm looking at references a big plot hole in the chapters right around the time Buccellati first shows up. However, I, uh, I have no idea so far what that plot hole is. Anyone care to fill me in?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad they didn't drag the fight on like some dbz poo poo. who would want that

agreed. the entire point of the fight is jotaro scrambling to outwit dio. jotaro hits dio, what, four times or so before super saiyan dio. (punch rushes count as one time) everything else in the fight is about jotaro outwitting dio, the most careful vampire in egypt, so he can land those punches

1. when they're punchrushing each other, jotaro scratches dio's face
2. post-magnet trick.
3. heart-stopping action
4. man-hole cover

did i forget one?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Both the anime and the OVA have really good Dio vs Jotaro fights and I'd watch either again right now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uua_GIQsbqg

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Von Humboldt posted:

I'm reading Part 5, and the translation I'm looking at references a big plot hole in the chapters right around the time Buccellati first shows up. However, I, uh, I have no idea so far what that plot hole is. Anyone care to fill me in?

The most obvious one that comes to mind is Gold Experience seemingly losing the retaliation ability without explanation (with good reason, though; Gold Experience is powerful enough as it is).

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Von Humboldt posted:

If this is your first time reading the series, it's tied to a big end-of-arc thing and is a fairly big spoiler. If it's not your first time, it's probably referring to how Gold Experience gets pierced with the arrow during the Black Sabbath fight yet doesn't become a Requiem stand.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think that the arrow that Polnareff had was a special arrow that was (one of?) the only one capable of making Requiem stands making it a weird niche case, rather than "any arrow can do this?" I think that what should have happened there is Gold Experience should've gained a new skill from Black Sabbath because that's what happened to Kira with a normal arrow at the end of Diamond is Unbreakable.

E; But even then, I'd be willing to give that a pass because even without any new tricks, Gold Experience is ridiculously powerful and didn't need any upgrades at that point to begin with.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

I think that the arrow that Polnareff had was a special arrow that was (one of?) the only one capable of making Requiem stands making it a weird niche case, rather than "any arrow can do this?" I think that what should have happened there is Gold Experience should've gained a new skill from Black Sabbath because that's what happened to Kira with a normal arrow at the end of Diamond is Unbreakable.

E; But even then, I'd be willing to give that a pass because even without any new tricks, Gold Experience is ridiculously powerful and didn't need any upgrades at that point to begin with.

That's not what happened in part 4

In part 4 Kira got hit by the arrow a second time, not his stand

Really the biggest issue with gold experience is that a lot of its powers do make some degree of sense, but it has a couple powers that are never used again and don't fit with its overall theme of "giving life." Even the requiem's ability to gently caress with diavolo and keep him alive for eternity but in a constant state of suffering is pretty much an evolved version of the slowmo punches he used on Bruno

RIP luca and his shovel. Only guy who managed to get into bruno's gang without letting the lighter go out

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Regarding the Vento Aureo spoiler/plot hole, the answer is never explicitly stated, and there are multiple interpretations, so feel free to pick your favorite:

-Giorno isn't ready to awaken Gold Experience Requiem yet
At this point, Giorno only barely knows how to use his stand. Just as the stand arrow only awakens stands in those who are worthy, it only awakens requiems in stands that are worthy of it. It is only after the events of Part 5 that Giorno achieves enough mastery of the stand to the point that he can use a Requiem.

-Black Sabbath doesn't have a true arrow
You can see the arrow in its mouth is a bit less intricate than the one Polnareff carries. Perhaps Black Sabbath from the lighter only carries a copy of the arrow in Polpo's possession, or perhaps Polpo's arrow itself is a fake that doesn't have the ability to create requiem stands.

-Polpo's arrow is already a part of Black Sabbath
Once the arrow is removed from a stand, it returns to its non-requiem self. Since the arrow is already a part of Black Sabbath, Gold Experience can't absorb it to become GE Requiem.

-Araki forgot

Dragonatrix posted:

If anything, the story seems to imply that any stand arrow can create requiems. Maybe Buccellati isn't an authoritative expert on the arrow, but he goes "Someone would have discovered the secret of the arrow[s] sooner or later" and Polnareff never corrects him on that.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Daxing Dan posted:

-Araki forgot

Funny enough this is the explanation I'm coolest with, no harm no foul

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Daxing Dan posted:

Regarding the Vento Aureo spoiler/plot hole, the answer is never explicitly stated, and there are multiple interpretations, so feel free to pick your favorite:

-Giorno isn't ready to awaken Gold Experience Requiem yet
At this point, Giorno only barely knows how to use his stand. Just as the stand arrow only awakens stands in those who are worthy, it only awakens requiems in stands that are worthy of it. It is only after the events of Part 5 that Giorno achieves enough mastery of the stand to the point that he can use a Requiem.

-Black Sabbath doesn't have a true arrow
You can see the arrow in its mouth is a bit less intricate than the one Polnareff carries. Perhaps Black Sabbath from the lighter only carries a copy of the arrow in Polpo's possession, or perhaps Polpo's arrow itself is a fake that doesn't have the ability to create requiem stands.

-Polpo's arrow is already a part of Black Sabbath
Once the arrow is removed from a stand, it returns to its non-requiem self. Since the arrow is already a part of Black Sabbath, Gold Experience can't absorb it to become GE Requiem.

-Araki forgot

If anything, the story seems to imply that any stand arrow can create requiems. Maybe Buccellati isn't an authoritative expert on the arrow, but he goes "Someone would have discovered the secret of the arrow[s] sooner or later" and Polnareff never corrects him on that.

I had figured it was simpler then that;

both Requiems we see are holding the arrow. When Kira's Stand is pierced, he gains new powers, which in Giorno's case may have resulted in his eventual change in powers or loss of his Reflection Ability. However, both Gold Experience Requiem and Silver Chariot Requiem are holding or a part of the arrow. The reason Gold Experience Requiem didn't emerge when stabbed is because he was just stabbed with it, instead of 'merging' with it. We never see Gold Experience after the Arrow falls out of his head, so it's entirely possible he actually transformed back.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Stallion Cabana posted:

I had figured it was simpler then that;

both Requiems we see are holding the arrow. When Kira's Stand is pierced, he gains new powers, which in Giorno's case may have resulted in his eventual change in powers or loss of his Reflection Ability. However, both Gold Experience Requiem and Silver Chariot Requiem are holding or a part of the arrow. The reason Gold Experience Requiem didn't emerge when stabbed is because he was just stabbed with it, instead of 'merging' with it. We never see Gold Experience after the Arrow falls out of his head, so it's entirely possible he actually transformed back.

Killer Queen is never hit with the arrow, only Kira is. Requiem stands are stated to have "dominion over souls" too, which doesn't exactly line up with Bite the Dust's power either.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 27, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Daxing Dan posted:

Killer Queen is never hit with the arrow, only Kira is. Requiem stands are stated to have "dominion over souls" too, which doesn't exactly line up with Bite the Dust's power either.

yeah, i'm pretty sure the distinction is that stabbing yourself again will only give your stand a new ability or something since you already have a stand and it can't exactly give you a new one. stabbing the STAND, though, does weird poo poo because it's like giving a stand a stand.

but, honestly, good riddance to dumb plot poo poo that i'm glad was discarded in the move to steel ball run.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, I re-read the final battle of Part IV on a whim today and I noticed something I hadn't the first time before.

Nice watch. Too bad you won't be able to tell time after I break it. Break your face, that is.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 27, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
New chapter is up!

Holy poo poo, Damo is hardcore. The fact that he looks ridiculous just makes him that much scarier. Also, that cliffhanger! At least because the chapter was a little late this month, the wait won't be as long.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 27, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

10/10 chapter

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Yeah, JJL was good from the start but this latest arc has been amazing. I have so many questions: What's Karera's deal? Is Damo going to be the "final boss" of Part 8, or is there someone above him, yet? Will Norisuke betray Gappy in order to protect his family, or will he surprise everyone? Also, the present-day gang's totally going to find a way to help Holly, right? Right...?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I will never get over Araki's ability to take powers that sound super lame on paper ("My power lets me make things softer") and turn them into terrifying instruments in the hands of dangerous people ("So soft I can cut you up with a crisp yen note"). I mean, Vitamin C was already pretty terrifying, but even so.

Phenomenal chapter. It's all starting to come together. I just wonder who else is involved that we haven't already seen.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

God Damo is such a good villain.

Also I really like that we're seeing more of the Rock Folk who are currently dead.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

damo definitely has more of a 'main antagonist' vibe going on now, that's for sure

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

That one is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZqFb6DP_aE

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That new chapter is loving dope

JoJolion is really good

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
:stonk: Let's hope Hato's stand can reattach limbs. Either that, or Nut King Call might actually be useful after this fight.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

God Damo is such a good villain.

Also I really like that we're seeing more of the Rock Folk who are currently dead.
Yeah, it's a neat little trick to get a bit more character out of people who're gone.

For awhile now I've felt like Part 8 was a step down from Part 7 in terms of humanizing its villains of the week, but this flashback arc is doing a pretty good job of fixing that. Still not back to where we were, but it's more obvious Araki has a plan he's sticking to - which I'd say would go without saying if it were anybody else other than Hirohiko "I forgot" Araki.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

:stonk: Let's hope Hato's stand can reattach limbs. Either that, or Nut King Call might actually be useful after this fight.

If they can pull Joshuu out of the sewer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

araki is doing a really good job of making this goofy-rear end alt universe elvis impersonator come off as being terrifying as hell, so he definitely deserves credit for that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

If they can pull Joshuu out of the sewer.
Leave him.

He's home now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
One thing I think JoJolion does very well is make a situation incredibly tense. Right now in the present day, I think it's a fair assumption Gappy will figure something out, but it doesn't seem like there's just some simple trick that, once discovered, will allow him to beat up Damo and then we move forward from there. This part, more than any other, keeps me guessing and constantly asking questions, and it's really really awesome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WRYYYYYYYEAH!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The way Araki is mixing the flashbacks into the narrative is great. You think that Damo's only got the upperhand on the Higashikata household because he took them out one by one, but then you see Josifumi and Kira can't lay a finger on him even inside a cramped room.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Broseph Brostar posted:

The way Araki is mixing the flashbacks into the narrative is great. You think that Damo's only got the upperhand on the Higashikata household because he took them out one by one, but then you see Josifumi and Kira can't lay a finger on him even inside a cramped room.
Granted, Kira was just rushing straight in without a second thought. Not knowing what your opponent can do is always a bad idea in Stand Land.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJolion has been such a ride so far, and gently caress is it just getting better,

I'm super surprised how interested I am in the Josefumi and Kira sequences, probably because we already have some how idea at that'll work out in the end. Damo is a really impressive villain. I hate his presence, but yeah I don't see him totally leaving the picture after this fight, but I don't think he's quite the Main Antagonist.

I was always worried at how JoJolion would tie up it's threads when I started it, but as we get further into it, I feel more and more confident that Araki has totally got this.

Also here's my favorite panel of this chapter

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
The moment I saw the fingerprints on the flashback boat I felt 40% more sure that Damo's a prime player, maybe even Main Antagonist.

I'd also accept Hato ending the situation with a Stand, though

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The longer this arc goes on the less I wanna see Hato manifest/reveal her stand, though it's possible Araki could still make it work I guess.

The more Damo's level of menace increases, the more I want to see our heroes beat him using the tools they've already got - as opposed to Hato developing a stand which conveniently allows them to simply circumvent Damo's position of power.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Bad Seafood posted:

The longer this arc goes on the less I wanna see Hato manifest/reveal her stand, though it's possible Araki could still make it work I guess.

The more Damo's level of menace increases, the more I want to see our heroes beat him using the tools they've already got - as opposed to Hato developing a stand which conveniently allows them to simply circumvent Damo's position of power.

Alternatively, Josuke and co. have to beat Damo on their own because Hato just forgets her stand would be useful here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If Damo's not the final boss, he's at least final boss-adjacent.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MelvinBison posted:

Alternatively, Josuke and co. have to beat Damo on their own because Hato just forgets her stand would be useful here.
This would also be acceptable.

Waffleman_ posted:

If Damo's not the final boss, he's at least final boss-adjacent.
The supreme one always delegates.

There'll be somebody behind Damo, but Damo's pretty obviously the trashman around here.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Damo isn't hot enough to be a final Jojo villain.

EDIT: Unless he pulls a Valentine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm assuming the actual main villain will be a new Kars equivalent. The only really antagonistic characters left at this point are Damo and Joubin; Joubin clearly isn't powerful enough to be a main villain, and even if Damo survives the current fight, he won't be much of a threat by himself if the entire Higashikata family (plus Yasuho and Karera, probably) knows his ability. There's theoretically room for either of them to get a powerup, of course (every main villain except Diavolo gets one at some point), but there isn't really an obvious mechanism for either of them to get one.