Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

deathrat posted:

Oh god, good catch. That's really weird, I'll see if I can do anything about that.

In the meantime, these are the current 2 patches, first one is the same one I linked earlier:

Removed diagonal-speed-decrease(will move faster diagonally than other directions): http://urcraft.com/download/SV-DiagPatch.zip
Increased diagonal-speed(moves same speed in all directions, or as close as I can get it at least): http://urcraft.com/download/SV-IncreasedDiag.zip

So everyone is aware, if you are using one of these modified .exes, and you disable DPI display scaling, the game will crash on startup. This isn't an issue with the vanilla .exe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
For anyone still wondering, confirmed by ConcernedApe on twitter that walking over your plants has no adverse effects.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Can anyone tell me how to feed chickens? Do they just eat grass or something?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is it possible to split stacks? :saddowns:

Hold shift.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Can you get a cat/dog that isn't the one you chose in character creation? Or at all, if you told the lady to kick rocks when she brought it to your house?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

For the building upgrades, do they go in certain spots or do you get to pick where they go? I've got a tree seed and I'm trying to figure out where to put it.

deathrat
May 25, 2010
I just added a patch to increase the in-game time slightly. It adds ~4 seconds to every 10 in-game minutes. Just a heads up though, it isn't really tested, besides me making sure that it was actually taking extra time for the clock to move. There may be some adverse effects, but from my initial glance at the code, it doesn't look like it should hurt anything.

You can get it here: http://urcraft.com/download/SV-Patches-0.3.zip

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Why does one of my parsnips have a little star on it?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Higher quality, silver is middle then gold is highest.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

It means it's higher quality, and will sell for more and give you more experience.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

the fiberglass fishing rod(its the 2nd one) is wonderful first day with it and I already paid it back in full

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

It has a higher quality to it. If it's a silver star then it's good, and a gold star denotes best. They sell for more and give more health/energy back if you eat them.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I loaded up my game after the patch and all my quests in my journal are gone (like meet 28 people, build a scarecrow etc)

Anyone had the same thing and does it matter? Just wondering if I should start again since I'm only ~7 days in

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wallet posted:

Can anyone tell me how to feed chickens? Do they just eat grass or something?

You can either fence off the area infront of the coop, plant grass in there, and take them outside and they'll eat that, or build a silo and then when you cut down grass with a scythe you'll automatically get hay which you can grab from the hopper in the coop and feed them that way.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Is it possible to move Farm Buildings around after you place them?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it being confirmed that walking on your plants doesn't harm them is the greatest news

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like Harvest Moon, and I am more or less buying this game sight unseen (I knew of it, but I did not really follow it too closely). Hope I am not making a mistake!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Is there any way to drop stuff if, say, you craft a chest and have all 12 of your current spaces filled? I'm thinking not but I thought I'd ask. In fact, I'm not sure if there's a way to drop anything period vs. trashing it entirely.

e: Okay so you can in fact drop stuff by selecting it and then clicking outside the inventory, this didn't seem to work when I tried to craft chests though so I just have to remember next game to drop stuff before crafting.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 27, 2016

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
The Wizard is basically this guy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I timed how fast the time is ticking and it's around 7 seconds per 10 min ingame. That's about 42 sec per ingame hour.

Is my ingame time running abnormally fast or is it this fast for everyone? It's not chill at all, and chill is all I want from this game :negative:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
These controls are pretty annoying. Maybe I need to try a controller, right now it feels like the wasd and mouse are working against one another. Time also seems to blaze by, standing around town talking to people and everything is already closed with like 50 left to greet. I was willing to overlook the bad art style, but even then it's inconsistent.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Frigg how many eggs do you need to get to win the egg hunt? Abigail is kicking my rear end.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I got the Spring Foraging seeds as a reward. Was I supposed to plant these like any other seeds? They're not growing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

what do the stars next to items donate, like I have coral, silver star coral and gold star coral. I assume it's how nice it is, but should I save gold star ones for gifts or something?

edit: that will teach me not to refresh for a new page before posting.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

sell everything gently caress the townspeople

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Plan Z posted:

I got the Spring Foraging seeds as a reward. Was I supposed to plant these like any other seeds? They're not growing.
They work like normal seeds. Plant, water, wait. They take like a week to mature and produce the stuff you bundled to get them.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Frigg how many eggs do you need to get to win the egg hunt? Abigail is kicking my rear end.
Can the player even win? Every post about it has had Abigail winning. I was going to savescum that day, but I get hit by the leveling save bug that day and don't want to repeat a day over and over.

Also, the stuffed bunny you can buy at the egg festival is a furniture decoration item. Spent 2k gold on it thinking it would be a good birthday present for Haley the next day.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I timed how fast the time is ticking and it's around 7 seconds per 10 min ingame. That's about 42 sec per ingame hour.

Is my ingame time running abnormally fast or is it this fast for everyone? It's not chill at all, and chill is all I want from this game :negative:

You could give this a try if planning fewer activities each day to compensate is too much:

deathrat posted:

I just added a patch to increase the in-game time slightly. It adds ~4 seconds to every 10 in-game minutes. Just a heads up though, it isn't really tested, besides me making sure that it was actually taking extra time for the clock to move. There may be some adverse effects, but from my initial glance at the code, it doesn't look like it should hurt anything.

You can get it here: http://urcraft.com/download/SV-Patches-0.3.zip

Personally I figure I'll just pause more often to really figure out what I want to commit to instead of make the game run slower. Having time to be tempted to do all the things every day isn't really chill either.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat it, my crops all die overnight when it rolls over into the next season?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I did it. You have to get 9 eggs to win. 8 or lower and Abigail wins.

I won a straw hat.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zoe posted:

drat it, my crops all die overnight when it rolls over into the next season?

Yep. You gotta look carefully at your crops' harvest times and make sure they don't go into the next season.

Your Computer posted:

Just focus on getting what you can done within a day, yo. There's absolutely no time limit, it isn't such a big deal to get a small amount done.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I saw on that reddit tips thread posted a few pages back that I should get a silo before I get my coop. How do I go about getting a silo?
Also, if anyone wants, I can set up a channel in synirc so we can party like it's 1992 :corsair:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

grrarg posted:

Can the player even win? Every post about it has had Abigail winning. I was going to savescum that day, but I get hit by the leveling save bug that day and don't want to repeat a day over and over.

Also, the stuffed bunny you can buy at the egg festival is a furniture decoration item. Spent 2k gold on it thinking it would be a good birthday present for Haley the next day.

I got 9 eggs the first year and won a Straw Hat

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I got 11 and won, yeah 9 seems like the magic number.

It's always a straw hat, too.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Spaced God posted:

I saw on that reddit tips thread posted a few pages back that I should get a silo before I get my coop. How do I go about getting a silo?
Also, if anyone wants, I can set up a channel in synirc so we can party like it's 1992 :corsair:

I'll hop on there if you make one.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Silo is at the carpenter's, same as the coop (there are arrows underneath the picture of the coop if you didn't realize you can select something else). 100 gold, 100 stone, 10 clay and 5 copper bars are what you need to build it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Spaced God posted:

Silo needs 5 copper bars and 10 clay [along with basic mats]. Do some hoe-ing for clay, spelunk for copper.

I'd definitely use the IRC b/c I'm stuck in the 90s

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Thanks for your help with the silo!
And :siren:WE HAVE AN IRC CHAN NOW:siren:

#stardew on synirc.net! Hope to see you there

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dmboogie posted:

Just focus on getting what you can done within a day, yo. There's absolutely no time limit, it isn't such a big deal to get a small amount done.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Personally I figure I'll just pause more often to really figure out what I want to commit to instead of make the game run slower. Having time to be tempted to do all the things every day isn't really chill either.

Planning everything out so you won't run out of time isn't chill at all :colbert: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the game, and I understand that he put effort into making the time and run speed to get the tempo he wanted.. but different folk like different stuff, and I like taking my time and not planning everything in advance so it would greatly suit me to slow down time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm the kind of person who will occasionally spend hours in an an RPG scouring every corner of a town.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You could give this a try if planning fewer activities each day to compensate is too much:

That, however, sounds like exactly what I want! Was it posted in the thread and I somehow missed it?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Game good?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

One kinda nitpicky complaint - it really bothers me how Harvey and Maru's sprites don't match their portraits. Harvey doesn't have his rad doctor stache, Maru doesn't have her glasses. It's jarring because every other character looks pretty accurate to their portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The time in the game flows at just the right rate in my opinion. There's not enough time to do absolutely everything, which I actually see as an advantage. It's not just a game about growing crops. It's also a game about time management. In Harvest Moon games, I usually was in bed by around 4pm because I completely finished all my chores for the day and talked to everyone I cared about talking to, while I was out of Stamina. Usually I was out by around noon because of all the chores I did in the morning.

Running does feel a little slow. That much I would give you as a complaint.

But overall, the game is good. It's the closest thing we have to a Harvest Moon game on PC. Amazing it was developed by just one person. Not to mention that Multiplayer isn't out yet. It has brought a light hearted farming game into the limelight. While Farming Simulator is boring (in my opinion. It was my first Steam refund after 30 minutes of being bored to death), this game is charming, even with the small issues it has.