Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Alaan posted:

Apparently melons can also do that. Not sure what else.

I'm gonna say pumpkins and cabbage probably can too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:argh: Rosids!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

This is up behind the blacksmiths, I get a hand icon on that wooden thing behind the tree but what is it?

I hosed up the img tags earlier so I think some folk missed this.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it looks like a box

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

HopperUK posted:

This was very startling to me.

:psyboom:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Is it random when crops don't all sprout at the same time, or have different harvest times? I mean in Harvest Moon, it could be due to fertilizer, but there isn't any in Stardew Valley, as far as I know.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im on day 16 and the dog hasnt shown up yet im devestated

Alaan
May 24, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

Is it random when crops don't all sprout at the same time, or have different harvest times? I mean in Harvest Moon, it could be due to fertilizer, but there isn't any in Stardew Valley, as far as I know.

There is fertilizer later. But the growing speed seems to have some level of randomization. It seems to be plus or minus a day from an average grow time.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You can hover over houses on the town map to find where some villagers might live.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Where do I find the homeless guy?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Where do I find the homeless guy?

Northeast, up by the mine. He's usually hanging out near the lake there.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

people with coal problems, if you turn in the Construction Bundle in the community center you get a charcoal kiln which lets you make coal out of 20 wood. I just basically live in the mine though so coal hasn't been a huge issue for me. :shrug:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

HopperUK posted:

This was very startling to me.

It's... Beautiful.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
How big of a Pumpkin can you make

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Northeast, up by the mine. He's usually hanging out near the lake there.

Great I can't wait to meet him

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jesto posted:

Aaaah this game is so stressful. I can barely go out and do anything before it's turning to night, just exploring a few areas wastes the entire day. I even have to make a mad dash to NPCs in their homes to avoid wasting time, just going into their houses wastes like 10-20 minutes. :aaa: This is supposed to be a relaxing game. Is there a timesaving thing I'm missing?

You're not really able to do everything each day. Tend to the farm before 9am and then pick one thing to do that day instead of running about.

If you plant a rare seed in fall, does it have to be Day 1? Or any day?

Also how the heck do you mill wheat?

I had a meteorite crash in my backyard, but I ain't got a manly enough pickaxe to deal with it. I must know what lies inside.

And as a tip, making Mayo from small eggs is pretty quick and turns them from 25 gold each to 100 gold each. I will have a Mayo Empire.

Fans fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 28, 2016

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Fans posted:

And as a tip, making Mayo from eggs is pretty quick and turns them from 25 gold each to 100 gold each. I will have a Mayo Empire.

I am also the mayoman. It's a good life, but I wish mayonnaise makers didn't take ~4 ingame hours.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pylons posted:

I am also the mayoman. It's a good life, but I wish mayonnaise makers didn't take ~4 ingame hours.

They're super cheap to build. Just make more of them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Those big plants were in Rune Factory/ Harvest Moon too, not sure when they first showed up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YES bread posted:

if you ain't dumpster diving you're missing the gently caress out

Linus knows what's up

Am I supposed to use a tool to rummage through the trash? Because I've been hitting every dumpster I see and I haven't gotten anything yet.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The White Dragon posted:

Am I supposed to use a tool to rummage through the trash? Because I've been hitting every dumpster I see and I haven't gotten anything yet.

Nah it's just luck. All I've ever got is trash, which I stuck in the recycler.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I too click on every trash can I see and one time even got yelled at for it :saddowns:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've found a Geode once and Green Algae once and nothing else.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think your foraging skill comes into it since there's food boosters for it. Also if you check the fortune teller on TV she'll tell you if it's your lucky day or not.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Digging this game with the steam controller, but my pet never came. Think I'm going to have to restart tonight, which is fine because I can be more efficient now that I know what I'm doing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
When does your pet arrive?

Really liking this game, it sucked up my entire Saturday afternoon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Popete posted:

When does your pet arrive?

It seems to be pretty random, but I got mine on the Spring 5. Earlier in the thread, people were on day 20 and asking what the trigger is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Please post pictures of your sick farming setups, thanks

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Someone Awful! posted:

people with coal problems, if you turn in the Construction Bundle in the community center you get a charcoal kiln which lets you make coal out of 20 wood. I just basically live in the mine though so coal hasn't been a huge issue for me. :shrug:

Once you hit level 40 in the mine you will never-ever have a problem with Coal again.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How long does it take to get tree juice out of a tree tap? A week?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Should I be doing something like upgrading my sword before trying to go deeper into the mine? I stopped at level like 15 or whenever you first see the crab enemies because those and slimes take like 10 hits to kill and I assumed I was going too deep too fast

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

HopperUK posted:

Please post pictures of your sick farming setups, thanks

Laughing if you aren't tessellating your basic sprinklers. Or sporting purple boots.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Should I be doing something like upgrading my sword before trying to go deeper into the mine? I stopped at level like 15 or whenever you first see the crab enemies because those and slimes take like 10 hits to kill and I assumed I was going too deep too fast

You can make it pretty far with just the first sword if you're careful, but the adventurers store sells better swords too. Also those crab enemies, you can hit the rock they hide under with a pickaxe a few times and break it and then they become pretty harmless.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

how do you people have time to go into the mines and get poo poo. I have like 150 active crops up right now, and even with the bronze watering can it takes me forever to get it done and I use up most of my stamina before eating all the eggs I get to recover.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Laughing if you aren't tessellating your basic sprinklers. Or sporting purple boots.

Dear lord, that's awful.

I'll be moving my bee's to the greenhouse when it's repaired. They get a boost from flowers so I'll build a nice little bed of flowers there.

Form over function.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 28, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Nice tiki scarecrow!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Alaan posted:

Apparently melons can also do that. Not sure what else.

Oh god I have a fully fertilized 3x3 of melons, I cannot wait for my Supermelon to explode into starry value.

It's like the rock crabs from Link's Awakening: You remove the rock from them and they're suddenly useless :3:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 28, 2016

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Someone Awful! posted:

You can make it pretty far with just the first sword if you're careful, but the adventurers store sells better swords too. Also those crab enemies, you can hit the rock they hide under with a pickaxe a few times and break it and then they become pretty harmless.

:aaaaa:

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I can't figure out how to use bait. I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ankle posted:

I can't figure out how to use bait. I'm an idiot.

You need the fiberglass rod. When you have it, get the bait on your cursor and then right-click the rod.