Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like i gaze into the code and see lines i want to delete

constants i want to reorganize

but ultimately it does not necessarily move us closer to our goals

is it a worthwhile endeavor?

or is it friday make-work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

if it will later on enable you to make enhancements to the code or debug the code more rapidly and with higher quality, it's absolutely worthwhile to refactor. there's so many times i wish i could do that to code im staring at but we've got too much committed work so im not allowed. if you are, take advantage.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Bloody posted:

will it improve maintainability? if so, do it. it'll pay off later when you need to fix a bug, or bring on someone new.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah

but its hard

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Bloody posted:

yeah

but its hard

I'm in the middle of doing this and it's hard but VERY satisfying

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phobeste posted:

I'm in the middle of doing this and it's hard but VERY satisfying

how did you get inside my pants

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Captain Foo posted:

how did you get inside my pants

because you kept making pull requests?

this joke made me realize that my first real code review by another programmer was filled with all the same anxieties as losing my virginity (concern that the commit was too big :smug:)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i have a REST client that is frequently POSTing data and receiving 200 OK

i want a way to flag that it should go ask another endpoint for something. i don't want to poll on the other endpoint because updates to it are infrequent, if I could just signal it through the existing 200 OK that would be much better

is there a different response code that i want to use? or can I just add bytes after the OK so it'd be content-length 4 and say OKGO when there's something fresh at the other endpoint?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

i want a way to flag that it should go ask another endpoint for something. i don't want to poll on the other endpoint because updates to it are infrequent, if I could just signal it through the existing 200 OK that would be much better

is there a different response code that i want to use? or can I just add bytes after the OK so it'd be content-length 4 and say OKGO when there's something fresh at the other endpoint?

wtf do you do that you write both assembly and rest services?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

asm.js

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

welcome to the internet of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

you could send a temporary redirect with the other endpoint as the redirect address

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

last night it took me a good 5 minutes to explain that my firmware responds to the BLE radio waves that a phone sends out, please don't do this to me here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
alternatively send the 200 w/ the directive in the message body

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

alternatively send the 200 w/ the directive in the message body

this looks like what im going to do, because "300 redirect" looks like something i'd have to handle in pretty much the same place/way

i thought there might be some rule i was unaware of, like "200 must ONLY have OK in the body" or w/e

cool, thanks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the thing that sucks about rest is that it's all convention

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol i like how on hired.com you can see the companies who looked at your profile and didn't send an offer. my profile apparently isn't worthy of TotalFratMove.com's time :(

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

i thought there might be some rule i was unaware of, like "200 must ONLY have OK in the body" or w/e

that would make the web a pretty boring place.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just how fuckin dumb is your jira guy?
tyvm for this, we've had some hearty lols at the idea of being big enough to have "a jira guy"

computer toucher posted:

yeah i had my little implementers hat on and clearly wasn't thinking of the global internet implications of the made-up rule i'd tossed out

is crafting raw wifi packets things humans do outside of (anti-)security?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

computer toucher posted:

at least ud finally be an ok poster

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Flat Daddy posted:

lol i like how on hired.com you can see the companies who looked at your profile and didn't send an offer. my profile apparently isn't worthy of TotalFratMove.com's time :(

that is the saddest thing i have ever read

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
and ive read flowers for algernon AND of mice and men

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Asymmetrikon posted:

is this a proprietary, custom thing, or is there a way the rest of us could get in on this action
i think they're planning on open-sourcing it at some point in the near future! here's a presentation the authors gave at Devoxx last year.

some of the stuff is still being worked on, especially the database part, but I can ask around when it's supposed to be released if anyone's interested.

(sorry for derailing this thread with non-terrible things)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this joke made me realize that my first real code review by another programmer was filled with all the same anxieties as losing my virginity (concern that the commit was too big :smug:)

same but "merge failed: permission denied" so i had to stick to my local branch

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

same but "merge failed: permission denied" so i had to stick to my local branch
excellent username/post combination

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i enjoy taking peoples code review virginities

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you can always let your mom go on top if youre worried about squashing her

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

how easy is it to get a terrible programmer job in the USA if you're not American. I am white if that helps

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

how easy is it to get a terrible programmer job in the USA if you're not American. I am white if that helps

most of the programmers i work with aren't american or white, i don't think its a factor you should worry about too much. it might be harder if you need the company to get you an h1b visa, i don't know much about it but i've heard its a pain in the rear end.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
getting an h1b is mostly a matter of luck, and the odds are really not that bad.

transitioning from an h1b to permanent residency is the pain in the rear end. (it is much easier if you are not indian or chinese, though)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm not actually bothered about getting permanent residency, so that sounds pretty good, thanks.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

I'm not actually bothered about getting permanent residency, so that sounds pretty good, thanks.

we'll see how you feel about it after a couple of years

the great thing about an h-1b is that it's dual intent. you're allowed to change your mind

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

if you're canadian I think there's some special visa (TN-1?) that is even easier to get than H1B and has better perks, which has done a good job of draining a lot of university talent out of canada

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

piratepilates posted:

if you're canadian I think there's some special visa (TN-1?) that is even easier to get than H1B and has better perks, which has done a good job of draining a lot of university talent out of canada

the tn-* (nafta) visas are not dual intent, which gets really sticky

yeah yeah yeah i hear you "oh i don't want to live in the u.s. forever, just temporarily." you say that now. after you spend 2-4 years of your life in a place, you have friends and familiar places and reasons to stay.

1+ year of your life is never "temporary," it will always be a loss to leave

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1+ year of your life is never "temporary," it will always be a loss to leave

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

just traveling to USA I had to vouch I had never employed child soldiers or instigated a mass sterilisation campaign.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

computer toucher posted:

just traveling to USA I had to vouch I had never employed child soldiers or instigated a mass sterilisation campaign.

well maybe if they'd do a bit more mass sterilisation there would be fewer child soldiers, did you think of that uncle sam?

logic solves the worlds problems once again

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's a trick question, if you don't answer "yes" we don't want you here.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
you should see what you have to fill out for security clearance

i'm still not 100% sure none of my friends have plotted to overthrow the government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i've done like 4 or 5 security clearance questionnaires for college friends

something that i've said more than once: "no, he's not an edward snowden type"

• Locked thread