Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

I AM LEGEND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Someone Awful! posted:

It takes more than a single gift to make people like you, even if you can figure out what their favorite thing is. Also keep in mind you can only give people two things a week, so leveling up friendship is a ~process~.

What do you miss out on if you ignore this mechanic? Other than the marriage thing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SuicideSnowman posted:

What do you miss out on if you ignore this mechanic? Other than the marriage thing.

A lot of the cooking recipes can only be gotten by people mailing them to you if you're friendly with them. Also people will mail you stuff now and then if friendly.

Fans fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 28, 2016

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Is there a way to make certain forage items more likely? Sure could use some horseradish.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Fans posted:

A lot of the cooking recipes can only be gotten by people mailing them to you if you're friendly with them. Also people will mail you stuff now and then if friendly.

OK. Also, it seems possible for the heart level to decay over time? I had one heart on Shane a while back for gifting him something on his birthday but now it's gone, or maybe because I gave him a gift he didn't like?

One more, is there any way to move farm buildings once they are built?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Share yer farmers.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Why are my goddamn chickens grumpy? They have fud in feed.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Does getting a little "Perfect!" popup on the fishing game actually affect anything? Or is it just an ego boost

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
How do I see heart levels and poo poo for the cat? I think I see a water bowl for it, but not sure if there is other stuff I need to do besides pet it once per day.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Problem Sleuth posted:

Does getting a little "Perfect!" popup on the fishing game actually affect anything? Or is it just an ego boost

I thought it resulted in higher chance of a high-quality fish :confused:

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

SweetBro posted:

Why are my goddamn chickens grumpy? They have fud in feed.

On this same note, I can't figure out if they eat the grass in their pen or not. One chicken seems to be fine, and the other says it's getting thinner.

dammit chickens, i don't want to keep feeding you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress I got a level 7 sword via a fishing treasure chest and I accidentally clicked 'ok' instead of dragging it into my inventory

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when do the second tier sprinklers become available? i kinda want to get those instead of the junky basic ones.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I ...

:swoon:

Turning in artifacts is great, guys.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

when do the second tier sprinklers become available? i kinda want to get those instead of the junky basic ones.

It's really late, I think level 7 in farming and it requires a gold bar to craft. It's not really economical in your first year. Try to see if you can farm a bunch of copper iron and gold during your first winter and craft a bunch though.

Edit: Welp, the post below this one proves me loving wrong.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 28, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What is the Skeleton Key for?

What am I supposed to do after hitting "the bottom" of the mine?

HopperUK posted:

Please post pictures of your sick farming setups, thanks
I set this up around fall 1st and plan on having a much larger setup during next spring.

It's just the upgraded sprinkler + first tier fertilizer and I am doing bok choy because they grow fast and have good returns. I accidentally destroyed most of my corn near the end of summer because I am a big dummy, but I've been using the late autumn corn that's left to turn it into seeds for next year to save money. I also did some sunflower stuff because I plan on just planting a ton of those next fall probably.

The top 96 get around 11k, seeds cost just shy of 5k, so every 4 days I'm getting about 6k from that. And then I have another 48 or so growing. It's pretty sweet and I finally have money for the first time. By the end of fall I should have around 60k. I definitely screwed up tons of stuff though. It should be possible to have significantly more money and things done.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 28, 2016

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
A magical fairy flew in during the night and made all my crops grow.

I'm fuckin rich :3:

e: well ok all crop within a certain radius of the melon he cast the spell on

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I made a simple mod to Content\Data\Crops.xnb that should set all crops growable in all seasons. I would appreciate some testing! Unzip in main Stardew Valley folder so that Crops.xnb winds up in Stardew Valley\Content\Data (make a backup if you want).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8acb5e8ujkbimc2/all_crops_all_seasons.zip

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Khorne posted:

What is the Skeleton Key for?

It's for the other arcade cabinet in the bar.

Speaking of, I just got my 2 heart event with Abigail and you end up chilling out and playing co-op Prairie King with her this game is so loving great :swoon:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Emalde posted:

It's for the other arcade cabinet in the bar.

Speaking of, I just got my 2 heart event with Abigail and you end up chilling out and playing co-op Prairie King with her this game is so loving great :swoon:

What kinda stuff does she like? I've been experimenting but so far she just gets mad at me and goes to her room :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
*gives Abigail a quartz because she doesn't seem to be feeling the flowers*

"Hey, how'd you know I was hungry? This looks delicious.

...:raise:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Shirec posted:

What kinda stuff does she like? I've been experimenting but so far she just gets mad at me and goes to her room :(

Amethyst, which are really easy to collect every week.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Demiurge4 posted:

It's really late, I think level 7 in farming and it requires a gold bar to craft. It's not really economical in your first year. Try to see if you can farm a bunch of copper iron and gold during your first winter and craft a bunch though.

Edit: Welp, the post below this one proves me loving wrong.

well, now i'm even more confused

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There are certain things that everyone likes; this includes all veggies and minerals.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hopeandjoy posted:

There are certain things that everyone likes; this includes all veggies and minerals.

nah, some people distinctly don't enjoy certain crops and the like. in fact, abigail seems to be pretty confused by most food gifts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Emalde posted:

Amethyst, which are really easy to collect every week.

also, where are you supposedly finding amethyst so easily? it seems so rare in the mines and i spend a lot of time in there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Joestar posted:

also, where are you supposedly finding amethyst so easily? it seems so rare in the mines and i spend a lot of time in there.

i break boxes and I can get a couple a week p easy

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Found a fun little bug/feature with the dog. It decided to sleep right next to my bed...meaning I couldn't walk into it. With no way to pick up or move the dog (he was sleeping right on the edge of the bed, so I couldn't get around him to push him 'out' of the way), all I could do was wait until I passed out from exhaustion. Goddammit, dog.

Grass/hay is a bit worrisome in your first year, the random slow growth/spread of grass isn't working out that well for me. I definitely won't have enough to last the winter, even with just 1 cow and 4 chickens.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fhqwhgads posted:

Found a fun little bug/feature with the dog. It decided to sleep right next to my bed...meaning I couldn't walk into it. With no way to pick up or move the dog (he was sleeping right on the edge of the bed, so I couldn't get around him to push him 'out' of the way), all I could do was wait until I passed out from exhaustion. Goddammit, dog.

Grass/hay is a bit worrisome in your first year, the random slow growth/spread of grass isn't working out that well for me. I definitely won't have enough to last the winter, even with just 1 cow and 4 chickens.

walk into the cat/dog for a few seconds and it will move

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eonwe posted:

gently caress I got a level 7 sword via a fishing treasure chest and I accidentally clicked 'ok' instead of dragging it into my inventory
Yeah, the inventory interface feels a little jank. The game feels like it was half designed for a gamepad and half designed for KB+M, but not either-or.

:hf:

always good to see someone who knows the correct spot to put their storage chest (hint it isn't loving outdoors)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Johnny Joestar posted:

walk into the cat/dog for a few seconds and it will move

The edge of the bed is some sort of funnel, though. Once the dog was wedged in to the funnel, there was no way to push him to get him to move. I tried for a while before just saying gently caress it and passed out. Not a huge deal.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

nah, some people distinctly don't enjoy certain crops and the like. in fact, abigail seems to be pretty confused by most food gifts.

The wiki lied to me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fhqwhgads posted:

The edge of the bed is some sort of funnel, though. Once the dog was wedged in to the funnel, there was no way to push him to get him to move. I tried for a while before just saying gently caress it and passed out. Not a huge deal.

oh, that sucks. yeah, a minor bug here or there for sure.

hopeandjoy posted:

The wiki lied to me.

it's been updated pretty frequently and the like lists are getting fleshed out some. there's at least 3 tiers going on, for 'love', 'like', and 'hate', but yeah things are still sketchy. i know for a fact that abigail loves amethyst and tulips.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I gave the jock dude a quartz and he called it trash and I cried.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The wizard loves the solar and void essences, big 'ol heart. I found that the mayor loves peppers and Maru loves Diamonds. The only other match I found was the fishing dude loves sea cucumbers (yellow ones) but mostly I just give people food.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tired Moritz posted:

I gave the jock dude a quartz and he called it trash and I cried.

He frigging loves summertime flowers.

e: :frogsiren: Sebastian likes a thing and it is radishes :frogsiren:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 28, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Demiurge4 posted:

The wizard loves the solar and void essences, big 'ol heart. I found that the mayor loves peppers and Maru loves Diamonds. The only other match I found was the fishing dude loves sea cucumbers (yellow ones) but mostly I just give people food.

don't be like me and give a diamond to someone thinking they'll automatically love it. abigail likes minerals and whatever but she only regular likes diamonds and made that odd comment about eating it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is this game easy to pick up and play for someone who has never played Harvest Moon or any of the other games mentioned in the thread title?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ryuga Death posted:

Is this game easy to pick up and play for someone who has never played Harvest Moon or any of the other games mentioned in the thread title?

I was kind of wondering how much tutorializing it does, myself. Didn't seem like much, from a couple introductory youtube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Anyone having save issues? I ended up replaying a day, and since I figured it was my own mistake, I was careful to watch for the save message before quitting. Just opened the game again and I'm back at the start of that same day.