Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Anti-vax friend shared this thing, from March Against Monsanto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Nuebot posted:

I've been seeing the whole "Sexbots! And then feminists will go away!" thing a lot lately. Not only is it a weird leap of logic that makes no sense, but isn't it far more likely that someone would shut advanced AI down for ethical reasons long before they even made a sexbot?

I'm sure feminists everywhere would be relieved when creepers stay in their basements constantly loving a robot instead of harassing women on the street/internet.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm sure feminists everywhere would be relieved when creepers stay in their basements constantly loving a robot instead of harassing women on the street/internet.

On behalf of all feminists everywhere, I will say yes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Literally my dream.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Stop dreaming about creepers loving robots

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Stop dreaming about creepers loving robots

Don't kink shame.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Don't kink shame.

Futurama warned us about this poo poo though! :argh:

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

RareAcumen posted:

Futurama warned us about this poo poo though! :argh:

They can't help it, they got metal fever

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

goose fleet posted:

Come to think of it, what happens if something happens to a sitting president between the nomination season and the next inauguration? Like, does the vice president become president, but they just kind of sit around and do nothing but awkwardly pose for photos because they don't have any time to do anything and it's too late for them to campaign for an actual term?

If they serve one day as president they are only eligible for one more term and I think if its >2yrs into a term its not worth wanting to run again because you can't do the full 8. So I think the answer to your question is yes.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
But what if it happens after the party already nominated someone else? Or, worse, if the next president already won the election?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Je suis fatigue posted:

They can't help it, they got metal fever

Metal fever, bwah!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

RareAcumen posted:

'Just wait you guys, a few years of guys nonstop loving their robot wives and then real women will be throwing themselves at our feet begging for the D!'

'Oh and also we'll be breaking the law and hunted down by SWAT and living in sewers but ROBOT WAIFUS YOU GUYS!!!'

I love the idea that politically educated feminists would be completely neutered without access to dicks. That's been feminists MO from the get-go, huh? World dominance, but also access to weiners? Man, if only we'd offered them cocks and mustache-twiddling evil villain levels of world domination instead of the vote, ha-ha!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
So now you know the truth.

The real reason feminism is pushing to open up STEM fields to women is just so we can make sure we get our own robot hasubandos when the inevitable sexbot rising replaces all intimate human interaction and everyone's perfectly fine with it because that's how emotions work.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I knew a guy (friend of a friend), a medical student no less, who subsisted entirely on ramen for a period of months until he started getting fevers and other nasty symptoms. His doctor concluded that, as he ate literally nothing but instant ramen, his symptoms were consistent with those of scurvy. From that point on his diet was instant ramen and Sunny D. :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Article posted:

Coal companies have every incentive to publicize a "war on coal" as the source of their woes. It diverts anger toward Barack Obama and perpetuates the illusion that a Republican president might revive coal's fortunes.

But US coal faces pressures no president can ease. Most significantly, structural shifts underway in China are almost certain to continue, leading to suppressed export markets for met coal. There's not much anyone in the US can do about it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I knew a guy (friend of a friend), a medical student no less, who subsisted entirely on ramen for a period of months until he started getting fevers and other nasty symptoms. His doctor concluded that, as he ate literally nothing but instant ramen, his symptoms were consistent with those of scurvy. From that point on his diet was instant ramen and Sunny D. :v:

I heard of this expect it was multiple people in college [No specific names come to mind however] suffering from this because they couldn't afford to have a better diet.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

TheDon01 posted:

This just showed up in my local Facebook Buy/Sell group. Too lazy to block out names and it's a public page.

Is that a young Randy Bobandy?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Well, if you want the Special wax and the Vitamin C at the same time, you should probably go for fruit snacks.

How much of political discourse in the US, do you think, can be reduced to "Didn't even have to read it. One word, Obama"?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Just eat nothing but vitamin gummies and Metamucil and you'll be fine

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

cash crab posted:

How much of political discourse in the US, do you think, can be reduced to "Didn't even have to read it. One word, Obama"?

Too much :smith:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Snopes has a few documented cases of this actually happening: http://www.snopes.com/college/horrors/scurvy.asp

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Snopes has a few documented cases of this actually happening: http://www.snopes.com/college/horrors/scurvy.asp

quote:

Surprisingly, a version one would expect to see does not surface: the fad diet. Search as we might, we've yet to encounter a telling in which a foolhardy diet regimen adopted by someone looking to drop pounds in a hurry causes him to develop scurvy. Given the proliferation of exotic weight loss schemes and the importance society places on thinness, this lack comes as a bit of a shock. Do we therefore perceive weight conscious students as being more nutritionally knowledgeable or common-sensical than their impoverished or immature counterparts?

This was an episode on House! But seriously, I'm sure more than a few people have developed it, especially college students for obvious reasons (lack of money, lack of knowledge in nutrition and cooking, and so forth). Being a med student doesn't exempt you.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

snergle posted:

If they serve one day as president they are only eligible for one more term
You can serve up to two years in office via succession/etc. before you become ineligible for being elected to a second full term. Total possible time in office is ten years.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
It wasn't scurvy, but an old housemate of mine once made himself very ill by eating nothing but bacon, sausages and Pepsi for about six months. He didn't get visibly fatter, he just got redder and redder every time I saw him until eventually his family staged an intervention to get him to eat a vegetable.

Don't underestimate the ability of stubborn manchildren to eat themselves into hospital.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Nuebot posted:

but isn't it far more likely that someone would shut advanced AI down for ethical reasons long before they even made a sexbot?
Wtf is "advanced AI"? Not even asking about the ethical stuff because that discussion doesn't belong here, just want to know what "advanced AI" is.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

Wtf is "advanced AI"? Not even asking about the ethical stuff because that discussion doesn't belong here, just want to know what "advanced AI" is.

An AI that can feel sadness and shame, so they can be in a realistic relationship with the people who want to make sexbots.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Slime posted:

An AI that can feel sadness and shame, so they can be in a realistic relationship with the people who want to make sexbots.

Don't forget disgust, anomie, and stockholm syndrome.

Last I checked, we weren't anywhere near sapient AI. It's about as far off as fusion power generators.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ratoslov posted:

Don't forget disgust, anomie, and stockholm syndrome.

Last I checked, we weren't anywhere near sapient AI. It's about as far off as fusion power generators.

Truly sapient AI would require computers so much better than ours it'd be measured in orders of magnitude. The best brain that can be simulated right now is that of very simple worms and even that is poorly.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Truly sapient AI would require computers so much better than ours it'd be measured in orders of magnitude. The best brain that can be simulated right now is that of very simple worms and even that is poorly.
They can simulate much more complex brains than that, just not even close to in real time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

They can simulate much more complex brains than that, just not even close to in real time.

Yeah I know. Sorry, I really should have specified. IBM apparently did a mouse brain but at like 1/20 the speed of a real one or somewhere thereabouts.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It wasn't scurvy, but an old housemate of mine once made himself very ill by eating nothing but bacon, sausages and Pepsi for about six months. He didn't get visibly fatter, he just got redder and redder every time I saw him until eventually his family staged an intervention to get him to eat a vegetable.

Don't underestimate the ability of stubborn manchildren to eat themselves into hospital.

If his skin was getting redder maybe all the extra sodium was spiking his blood pressure.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I read that as very simple women and thought I accidentally read a LoB post.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure that the kind of robot girlfriend these guys want doesn't require actual complexity. Just program in a bunch of stock responses and Bob's your uncle.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Posted by a fellow I got to know back in my freshman year of college. He never stopped singing the praises of South Park (especially the last season) or Aaron Sorkin. How many more red flags should this raise?

Baofu has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Feb 28, 2016

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Baofu posted:

Posted by a fellow I got to know back in my freshman year of college. He never stopped singing the praises of South Park (especially the last season) or Aaron Sorkin. How many more red flags should this raise?

Fixed your link for you. Man, it's be nice of the "social justice" to "skeleton" extension worked on images.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

I'm pretty sure that the kind of robot girlfriend these guys want doesn't require actual complexity. Just program in a bunch of stock responses and Bob's your uncle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xbyJGM1iUY

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

trapped mouse posted:

Fixed your link for you. Man, it's be nice of the "social justice" to "skeleton" extension worked on images.

Ahahaha the petition is literally just "By "signing" below I confirm that I don't believe that Dave Sim is a misogynist." Yes, this will fix everything!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is there any context for the Aardvark Comic Strip Man thing? I'd like to decide who's the idiot.

probably everyone

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Puppy Time posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Puppy Time posted:

"Bob, Your Uncle" is probably DLC actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Our brave and proud gun owners :downsgun: