Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which sister is best
This poll is closed.
sakura 11 6.96%
hinoka 21 13.29%
camilla 42 26.58%
elise 15 9.49%
im gay (in a nonironic sense) 69 43.67%
Total: 158 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i married Azama, but the enemies in Mitama's stage seem sorta strong. not hard to kill, but a lot of raw physical damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really want to know what Suetonius reckoned about time.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kana is very cute

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

the biggest sad about ancient studies is so much of the written record is gone and will most likely never be found barring us finding a perfectly preserved library in some hereto unknown and buried estate

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

“Jiang Wei s loyally assiduous towards the affairs of the day and his thoughts are fine and exact. As for his qualities, Li Shao and Ma Liang are not his equals. He is a superior gentleman of Liang province. Jiang Wei is very competent in military affairs; not only is he courageous and proficient in warfare but his heart is loyal to the House of Han and his talents combine those of other people.” - the guy who hired Jiang Wei and made him his second in command

List of battles Jiang Wei won: 0

Look, he was moral support, alright?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I'm finally home

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I recently read an article about how Alexander the Great encountered a tribe of people who had not yet discovered fire, and only ate what they could scrounge from the beach. I thought that was very fascinating, and I wonder where exactly these people fit within the chronology of mankind's ascension.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I recently read an article about how Alexander the Great encountered a tribe of people who had not yet discovered fire, and only ate what they could scrounge from the beach. I thought that was very fascinating, and I wonder where exactly these people fit within the chronology of mankind's ascension.
the homeless population of hawaii?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
a merciless rejection

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Endorph posted:

the homeless population of hawaii?

I don't think Alexander the Great made it as far as Hawaii, but what do I know, really?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

a merciless rejection

How is that series compared to Binbougami Ga? I've been meaning to get around to reading it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a merciless rejection

owned

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

How is that series compared to Binbougami Ga? I've been meaning to get around to reading it.

no idea, never read Binbougami Ga and have barely read any of this one. Just thought I'd read a little to get some idea of what the anime might be like tbh.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There was an ancient historian whose name escapes me...he wrote and (eventually) published two different histories of the royal court in which he served.

The first, released during the reign of king and queen to whom he swore fealty, described the king as a man of great wisdom and power, and the queen as a woman of great beauty and grace.

The second, released after the death of the then-royal family, called him an idiot and her a harpy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

no idea, never read Binbougami Ga

Imo, you should

I've read it twice in fact and it is good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I looked it up to see what it was since I'd never heard of it and it doesn't really look like my kinda thing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

“Jiang Wei s loyally assiduous towards the affairs of the day and his thoughts are fine and exact. As for his qualities, Li Shao and Ma Liang are not his equals. He is a superior gentleman of Liang province. Jiang Wei is very competent in military affairs; not only is he courageous and proficient in warfare but his heart is loyal to the House of Han and his talents combine those of other people.” - the guy who hired Jiang Wei and made him his second in command

List of battles Jiang Wei won: 0

Romance of the 3 kingdoms being biased as hell for Shu will always amuse me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

no idea, never read Binbougami Ga and have barely read any of this one. Just thought I'd read a little to get some idea of what the anime might be like tbh.

You should read it.

Sadly this series of gifs and images did not include best girl Ranmaru.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Stranger, if you read this name, revile it not . . . auctioneer, son of Lucius. This he made in life an everlasting dwelling-place for himself. He believed that what nature gave him was a guest-chamber, and as was proper he enjoyed his means in company with his friends. See to it that you too use your friends so while you live. Farewell.

this dudes name got worn off his so nobody knows who it is

I revile his unknown name.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

There was an ancient historian whose name escapes me...he wrote and (eventually) published two different histories of the royal court in which he served.

The first, released during the reign of king and queen to whom he swore fealty, described the king as a man of great wisdom and power, and the queen as a woman of great beauty and grace.

The second, released after the death of the then-royal family, called him an idiot and her a harpy.

Procopios?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Is the Colonel around? I started playing Gurumin. Cute game, but pretty simple so far.

I beat a level and was awarded an S rank, after which the achievement for obtaining an S rank popped up. I did not get any achievements for bypassing the lower ranks. This bugs me a little bit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Is the Colonel around? I started playing Gurumin. Cute game, but pretty simple so far.

I beat a level and was awarded an S rank, after which the achievement for obtaining an S rank popped up. I did not get any achievements for bypassing the lower ranks. This bugs me a little bit.

I am reminded of unlocking the alternate costume for Trish in DMC4SE. You have to intentionally do poorly on the final boss, which is actually harder.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That's him! The only thing I could remember off the top of my head was that it had something to do with the Byzantines.

Obviously, of course, there's plenty of room to doubt which history is an accurate reflection of the court, whether one or the other might be embellished, but it makes me chuckle to think he might've kept separate records.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Erg posted:

Pokemon/owner themed pictures are always cool

I need to see if I can find a good one for my man Typhlosion

i can think of one poke owner associated with thphlosion

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The liquor store had a big ol' sale this weekend, so now I have cognac and Cointreau for the the first time in a while. A whole world of classic cocktails has been reopened to me.

...I maybe made this Sidecar a bit too big.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Bad Seafood posted:

That's a neat game and I should play some more of it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Flannery goes better with Typhlosion than uh, Torkoal imo

Torkoal is still cooler but whatev

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

imagine having a Torkoal, and you use the holes in its shell as ovens for baking and making pizza :3:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

chumbler posted:

I am reminded of unlocking the alternate costume for Trish in DMC4SE. You have to intentionally do poorly on the final boss, which is actually harder.
I just think if a game's gonna give out achievements based on reaching particular ranks (or difficulties), accomplishing something on the harder end of the scale should automatically qualify you for all the easier ones.

If there are three separate achievements for beating a game on Easy, Normal, and Hard, clearing it on the latter-most the first time around should automatically unlock the other two as well.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The liquor store had a big ol' sale this weekend, so now I have cognac and Cointreau for the the first time in a while. A whole world of classic cocktails has been reopened to me.

Nonsense

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

That's him! The only thing I could remember off the top of my head was that it had something to do with the Byzantines.

Obviously, of course, there's plenty of room to doubt which history is an accurate reflection of the court, whether one or the other might be embellished, but it makes me chuckle to think he might've kept separate records.

Byzantine history is such a cluster after Justinian. It's a miracle they lasted as long as they did with all the political in-fighting went down, though they did have a few considerable advantages, like Constantinople being virtually impregnable, some pretty advanced technology for the time, and their adversaries being pretty divided themselves.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

drunk pisting :yeah:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sylphid posted:

Byzantine history is such a cluster after Justinian. It's a miracle they lasted as long as they did with all the political in-fighting went down, though they did have a few considerable advantages, like Constantinople being virtually impregnable, some pretty advanced technology for the time, and their adversaries being pretty divided themselves.
A surprisingly large amount of recorded history could probably be condensed into the sentence "We had no idea what we were doing, but thankfully neither did they."

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
let's be real, if the turks did know what they were doing, then we would be speaking turkish right now

europeans were given an ungodly amount of miracles to continue existing, especially around the middle ages. i still don't know how the reconquista like, actually worked because by all rights the moors should've been the beginning of converting the whole continent to islam

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Anyone interested in Roman history could do a lot worse than reading Gibbon's classic Decline and Fall. It's not only a seminal work for historiography, Gibbon being pretty much the first historian to give his sources in such detail, but it's immensely well-written (Gibbon is particularly known for his dry wit and understatement, especially in his margin notes) and the scholarship of it largely holds up today, with exceptions given to some of his Enlightenment attitudes, his peculiar ideas about climate's effects on a people, and his hatred for organized Christianity. It's looong, but I absolutely adored all of it except perhaps some of the chapters on the history of the church and on happenings in non-Roman Europe during the early middle ages (necessary background stuff for much of the late Byzantine stuff, but a bit dull and tangential at times). It's easily one of my favorite histories, perhaps at the top of the list.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Gyra_Solune posted:

let's be real, if the turks did know what they were doing, then we would be speaking turkish right now

europeans were given an ungodly amount of miracles to continue existing, especially around the middle ages. i still don't know how the reconquista like, actually worked because by all rights the moors should've been the beginning of converting the whole continent to islam

They got turned back the once, and then decided it was more fun to fight each other than the infidel. Most of history's great conquerors seem to stop that way.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Anyone interested in Roman history could do a lot worse than reading Gibbon's classic Decline and Fall. It's not only a seminal work for historiography, Gibbon being pretty much the first historian to give his sources in such detail, but it's immensely well-written (Gibbon is particularly known for his dry wit and understatement, especially in his margin notes) and the scholarship of it largely holds up today, with exceptions given to some of his Enlightenment attitudes, his peculiar ideas about climate's effects on a people, and his hatred for organized Christianity. It's looong, but I absolutely adored all of it except perhaps some of the chapters on the history of the church and on happenings in non-Roman Europe during the early middle ages (necessary background stuff for much of the late Byzantine stuff, but a bit dull and tangential at times). It's easily one of my favorite histories, perhaps at the top of the list.

i'll definitely look into it, thanks!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

They got turned back the once, and then decided it was more fun to fight each other than the infidel. Most of history's great conquerors seem to stop that way.

i guess i know what not to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I went to a beer fest earlier and beat my previous record of different beers tried and it was good.

• Locked thread