Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Divorce him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, take that $6k and run.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Poor guy is probably thinking about all if the venti caramel frappacinos he could have been enjoying with his cut of that six grand.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

But why would he be mad unless he was deliberately not saving anything? It's just, they had a goal, they overspent so they couldn't meet the goal, she turns out to have money that would let them achieve the goal and offers it to him to use FOR the goal.

Did he even actually want to move or what?

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 27, 2016

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing because he thinks she LIED to him about HIS MONEY and HE IS IN CHARGE.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Thesaurus posted:

Poor guy is probably thinking about all if the venti caramel frappacinos he could have been enjoying with his cut of that six grand.

I truly think that's what he's pissed about. Not necessarily coffees, but that was $6k he could have blown on something else. He probably felt that he was denying himself some luxury due to not having enough money, and here was his wife squirreling away a large sum of cash. That bitch.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
He's probably an addict of some kind.

Also a piece of poo poo with an ego problem.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

cowofwar posted:

He's probably an addict of some kind.

Also a piece of poo poo with an ego problem.

Yeah he sounds like a little kid with zero fiscal responsibility, and is bitching at his wife because he's ashamed of how he is acting.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Last year at one point my wife told me that she'd managed to squirrel away $600 extra into our savings account and didn't want to tell me cause we might have ended up needing it. (She handles the finances and gives me, like, weekly briefings)

I was delighted and happy to have some more financial cushionI whined and moaned about HONESTY even though we had more money than I thought, with no real work on my part

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I can see him getting upset over her lying to him, and by extension not trusting him. I'm not saying he SHOULD be trusted, but it's not unreasonable to see how that would hurt someone's feelings rather than assuming he was raging over his lack of Starbucks. But he's still a loving moron either way :sever:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 27, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He's not mad that she felt she had to hide money from him. He's mad that she's right.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How is he supposed to justify never changing or improving without being broke as an excuse?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Something I've learned through life: if someone refers to real estate investing as "flipping" houses, it's a sure-fire sign that they're a foolish person who's addicted to get-rich-quick schemes and has never actually "flipped" a house before.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
House flipping is not easy and requires you to be a craftsman to make any money.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

Something I've learned through life: if someone refers to real estate investing as "flipping" houses, it's a sure-fire sign that they're a foolish person who's addicted to get-rich-quick schemes and has never actually "flipped" a house before.

This is the first time I've heard of someone buying and holding a house for 5 years as flipping. The annoying thing is the op has been deleted.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

NancyPants posted:

Divorce him.

Who knew it was a bad idea to get married as a literal child???

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Who knew it was a bad idea to get married as a literal child???

How could anyone possibly anticipate that kind of problem?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Children, you must know that the reason you don't have food is so that I could financially support a person who wants to put in place programs that provide for your needs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Here's a primer on the Australian real estate scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7M5RIXjY8

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
One more from today - My brother-in-law wants us to put our kids in daycare so we can loan him money

quote:

I'm currently a SAHM to our two kids, 4 and 2 y.o. females, while my husband works a full-time professional job. My husband and I decided on this together because we feel it is in the best interests of our children to be with a parent while they are young, and we are both happy with the agreement. The plan is for me to go back to work in 3 years, when our youngest can start kindergarten.

In the meantime, we are getting by fine on my husband's salary, but don't have a huge amount to spare each month after the bills are paid. We do have savings, but with the exception of a cushion we need in case my husband loses his job, these savings are in retirement funds or college accounts for our two girls and we can't access them without penalty.

My BIL, "Greg," is a 50-year-old manchild. Last year, he got laid off from his job. Even though he had been earning more than my husband for several years, he only had about $7500 in savings. The rest of it went to luxuries like a brand new car, a motor home, a fishing boat, a hot tub, hobby equipment, travel... You get the idea.

Greg decided after getting laid off that he was going to take a nice long break because he was "tired of working so hard." This was fine while he was self-supporting, but after about 6 months his savings was gone and he needed to start working again. Unfortunately, our economy sucks right now, and it hasn't been nearly as easy for Greg to find work as he thought. He's now out of money with no job in sight, and has started pestering my husband to lend him $2000 "or so" to tide him over.

My husband has been telling Greg no, but Greg is getting more and more persistent. After their last conversation, Greg got mad and sent my husband a text saying that we'd be able to afford to loan him the money if I got a job and we put the kids in daycare. What? We've worked hard and sacrificed to be in a position for me to stay home. We don't travel and don't have new cars or boats to play with. This is more important to us. I was infuriated.

Unfortunately, my husband hates conflict to the point where he wants to throw some money at Greg to get him to lay off. He tells me that he understands it would be hard for us financially, and that Greg is being unreasonable. But he also tells me that he doesn't want to deal with Greg being upset with him forever.

I've looked at our budget, and we could spare a little. Not $2000, but maybe $500. It would require tightening our belts a bit more but we could do it. The issue is I don't want to. I feel like Greg's text shows that he has no respect for us or our family, and that he's only in this situation because of his own terrible choices. If he needs cash, I think he should sell some of his crap and not ask us for it.

Am I being unreasonable?

tl;dr BIL wants us to lend him money because he's financially stupid. I don't want to because I don't think he respects our family.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sever

Greg's jugular.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
some people have no shame

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
The best response on Reddit is when somebody points out that Greg is saying that she, a stay-at-home mom who's been out of the workforce for five years, will be able to easily find a job that pays enough for child care and his expenses, while he, a man who's been unemployed for six months, can't find a job at all.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah, seriously the best tack is really to mock, belittle, and emasculate him for asking until he gets a job, quits asking, or severs.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Coca Koala posted:

The best response on Reddit is when somebody points out that Greg is saying that she, a stay-at-home mom who's been out of the workforce for five years, will be able to easily find a job that pays enough for child care and his expenses, while he, a man who's been unemployed for six months, can't find a job at all.

I was going to comment on this, but I still haven't gotten around the level of self entitlement it takes to think that someone else (a stay at home mom no less) should get a job so they could give you free money.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Giving money to Greg would be a terrible idea because he checks all the boxes for serial mooch. Give him a dollar and he'll be back again tomorrow asking for two.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like Greg is freaking out and has no one else to ask for help. It sucks when you're about to lose everything, even when it's entirely your own fault.

If his brother wants to help him, he should probably wait until after Greg has had his poo poo foreclosed on or repo'ed. Any money given now would just postpone the inevitable.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What job is she going to get that will even cover the cost of daycare for 2 little kids? That crap is expensive, lots of families have one parent stay home because they'd lose money after paying daycare.

They have an out of they can't tell Greg to gently caress off, which they should do.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Pay Greg to watch the kids (he's a manchild so this part should be easy), get a real job, welcome to the Republican party

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

Giving money to Greg would be a terrible idea because he checks all the boxes for serial mooch. Give him a dollar and he'll be back again tomorrow asking for two.

This is absolutely true. And there's no person who hates you more than the person you stopped giving money to. I've been there- you (stupidly) help someone with a cash-handout, and the moment you stop they treat you as if you killed their parents, or something.

Never again.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 28, 2016

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This guy is bad with everything:

quote:

Let me first state I haven't been contacted or penalized by the IRS yet. This is just a possibility if I don't act.
I am a US citizen who has lived abroad for the last 6 years. The first 4 years I was teaching English in Korea, making under USD 25,000 a year. I filed my returns every year in the US and paid my taxes in Korea. I was well under the foreign income limit to owe any US taxes. However, the IRS requires that all citizens living abroad report all foreign bank accounts if they cumulatively add up to over $10,000 annually. I never new about this and failed to file any FBARs these last 6 years. There is a penalty associated with not filing FBARs. I can file all of my late FBARs, but the company I found to help me do this wants $2,000-$3,000 USD.
I have a bigger problem, however. After 4 years of teaching English I decided I wanted to start my own business. I opened a Limited Company (and bank account) in Hong Kong. The company didn't really pan out and I spent all of my teaching savings trying to make it work. The company didn't make any money. In fact, we didn't even receive one incoming transaction into our bank account.
When I filed my 2014 tax return I didn't mention the existence of this company or file a 5471 as a shareholder (I had no idea this was required).
To my shock, opening a company outside of the US puts you in the big time tax penalty bracket if you fail to file that information. The penalty is $10,000 per shareholder (me and my American business partner) and are eligible for another $10,000 each every few months if we get notified by the IRS.
Naturally, I panicked and started calling tax attorneys to figure out how to fix this. I had to speak to about 5 or 6 until I could find one that had some experience with foreign company taxes and the IRS. It will cost me about $8,000 in attorney fees to amend my return with the correct forms, including a letter to the IRS to ask for a penalty abatement. I'm not even sure that is a guarantee I wont get penalized anyway. The FBAR stuff is completely separate and another 2-3K. I owe no taxes and I am still looking at a choice of ~$10,000 either IRS penalties or legal fees.
I'm not sure what to do exactly. I don't really have that kind of money to fix this problem. I haven't made any taxable money and all of a sudden I am looking at a bill that is close to half my annual income. I wanted to try to talk directly to someone at the IRS, but like most people, I am terrified of them. Now I am off the radar while I try to figure this out. I am worried that once I go in to try to fix this, I will get audited and hit with these penalties right away.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/483uk5/high_tax_penalties_but_no_taxes_owed_only/

Forgets FBARS, doesn't declare business, business goes belly up, doesn't even make money (literally $0 in), fined $10k. Starts freaking out and goes "off the radar" for ~$15k debt to IRS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I screwed up my FBARs for a couple of years (turns out you need to include things in the name of minor children if they don't have an SSN), fixing it was no big deal. He should call an IRS advice line, they're anonymous as I understand it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
IMO he could probably just not tell the IRS anything, and as long as he's not trying to get a tax writeoff or anything off the failed company, never have a problem.

Not that that's legal or anything, but I don't think he's in as much immediate hot water as he thinks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a risk I'd run, personally.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't think the IRS would ever find a foreign business set up with zero transactions.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If they did, the resources spent to notice it would far outstrip any penalty they'll recover from a free spirit type making 25 grand a year.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Aliquid posted:

I don't think the IRS would ever find a foreign business set up with zero transactions.

Yeah, the IRS has bigger fish to fry than pulling some CSI moves to track down a zero dollar business venture in Korea.

I do want the details on his failed business.... making zero transactions is pretty impressive.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This is just bizarre:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/riches-to-rags-a-family-made-homeless-from-a-credit-card-debt-20160226-gn4nc7.html

They clocked up 20k in debt, they could pay it off but didn't because one of them can't read and didn't understand the notices, then they got taken to court and forced into bankruptcy rather than the seizure and sale of their house (which would have easily paid off the debt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

froglet posted:

This is just bizarre:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/riches-to-rags-a-family-made-homeless-from-a-credit-card-debt-20160226-gn4nc7.html

They clocked up 20k in debt, they could pay it off but didn't because one of them can't read and didn't understand the notices, then they got taken to court and forced into bankruptcy rather than the seizure and sale of their house (which would have easily paid off the debt).

I thought you were sarcastically deriding the guy's ability to read, but no, he literally can't read at all. I'm kind of impressed he managed to run a (temporarily successful) business in Australia while being illiterate. But you'd think he'd let his wife be in charge of opening the mail.

• Locked thread