Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Little_Viking posted:

Not part of pronunciation chat, out of curiosity I picked up the mummy: the curse box set. I'm really digging the setting, and it really sorta blends a total fantasy element to CofD, and being a nerdy metalhead who liked khemri in warhammer and listening to Nile, really touched on my "ancient evil dead is metal as gently caress!" part of my brain.

Has anyone actually run this game? And if so, any ideas on how to blend the new 2nd edition rules into the game? I'm going to try to introduce this to my group once my WTF chronicle's completed, and I'd like to keep cultists using the CofD rules, just not sure how to bring the Mummy stuff over.

There's a few efforts over at the Onyx Path forums: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/mummy-the-curse/474927-mummy-the-curse-2e-conversion

Mummy has a lot of potential, and its sourcebooks are pretty good (even the one I wrote on!) - it's just unfortunate that it was the last first-edition game, and written with such a hard no-crossover stance that its treatment of ghosts is incompatible with all the other gamelines. Especially Geist.

It will probably get a second edition at some point, but we're talking years, here - beyond even "we know we're doing it, but haven't started it," which is where Hunter is. And Geist would almost certainly come before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

There's a few efforts over at the Onyx Path forums: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/mummy-the-curse/474927-mummy-the-curse-2e-conversion

Mummy has a lot of potential, and its sourcebooks are pretty good (even the one I wrote on!) - it's just unfortunate that it was the last first-edition game, and written with such a hard no-crossover stance that its treatment of ghosts is incompatible with all the other gamelines. Especially Geist.

It will probably get a second edition at some point, but we're talking years, here - beyond even "we know we're doing it, but haven't started it," which is where Hunter is. And Geist would almost certainly come before it.

Awesome! This will help a ton! I didn't have a ton of crossover in mind, I generally ST a CofD game as whatever splat we're playing as the "dominant" supernatural in the world, ie: the others exist, but in super small numbers, almost a guarantee to not ever be encountered. I really would only use the core CofD book, and maybe see how Angels/god machine stuff would interact with mummy at best. I may try to homebrew some conditions, and use the memory stat in that thread to get things working (and tweak the character creation to be more in line with core CofD, such as remove the extra cost for high 4-5 attributes in character creation, etc).

I can be patient for the new line, I mostly would like to run a game where I can explore the storyline a bit, as it's fantastic.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just off to go run my first game of Requiem, thanks for all the answers and advice guys.

One final noob question before I hopefully report back with fun results, Whats the consensus on using discipline powers on other players? Like if my Daeva tries to charm the Nosferatu or whatever.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

nopantsjack posted:

Just off to go run my first game of Requiem, thanks for all the answers and advice guys.

One final noob question before I hopefully report back with fun results, Whats the consensus on using discipline powers on other players? Like if my Daeva tries to charm the Nosferatu or whatever.
Same as any other instance of PVP. All players in the group need to consent to it well before the event that would theoretically call for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I will never forgive Mummy for bringing variable TNs back.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

nopantsjack posted:

This is a conversation you want to have with the players before the game starts.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Completely unrelated, but has Onxy Path ever looked into doing PDF versions without the fonts used for fluff? My GM has vision impairment and those fonts are impossible for him to read. There are ways around it but it's kinda time consuming to set up apparently.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Taking a break from my VTR campaign to eat food. So far so good, been going a little slow because the feeding scene I started things off with went rapidly crazy and ate up a whole load of time since they chose a nightclub as the location, I was concerned it was too short so this is good. As is the norm in my campaign my written fleshed out stuff burns through instantly and the players do their own thing in between.

Highlights include the Daeva constantly forgetting to take Awe off and having people follow her everywhere while shes trying to feed, accidentally draining a prettyboy who became a really annoying fledgeling, the Nosferatu deciding one of the bouncers was "on his list" and beaning him with a bottle, slashing his hamstring and finally injecting him with a syringe filled with air "to make it not suspicious" and the Gangrel using sherlock powers to identify who in the club had the raddest dog then leaving the club entirely to go Ghoul his great dane and ride back on its back in his Hamster form. We're a couple hours in and theres already been two new vampires sired and two ghouls, one of them some dude's dog.

e: oh gently caress and how can I forget the Gangrel trying to emulate his spiritual liege, Bear Grylls, to impress a bouncer by giving himself an enema in front of him, ending up with a bag of gross vitae that he traded to a ghoul for vampire drugs.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 27, 2016

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

nopantsjack posted:

and the Gangrel using sherlock powers to identify who in the club had the raddest dog then leaving the club entirely to go Ghoul his great dane and ride back on its back in his Hamster form.

That's loving amazing and I insist you make "dude who wants his rad dog back" a recurring antagonist.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

I Am Just a Box posted:

That's loving amazing and I insist you make "dude who wants his rad dog back" a recurring antagonist.

Insert picture of John Wick

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I Am Just a Box posted:

Twibbit posted:

Insert picture of John Wick

Holy poo poo we are dying with laughter. Yes, yes a thousand times yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Which one? :unsmigghh:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

First one, then t'other.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The first image I googled of John Wick was Keanu Reeves with a beard gritting his teeth, gripping the wheel of a car and looking incredibly determined to find his rad dog.

My players really did end up like vampires though, both the ladies in my group went from "oh lets be peaceful" at the start to admonishing other players for mercy and drinking the gently caress out of people. Also despite being mostly teetotal on the vampire crack that was the crux of the campaign and basically against them fundamentally I'm pretty sure they ended up running a drug ring of the stuff, strictly controlled by them of course.

The player I know likes combat and powergaming got almost immediately seduced by the dark side just as planned, and went from "not being sure about this vampire game" to roleplaying a horrible sadist to funnel himself exp and using his ghoul as a health potion to fuel his blood powers.

I'll post a proper write up of it later, they've already left me with a decent amount of consequences to use for the next session if we play again. Just wondering from lore-buffs, instead of handing over the recipe for the wonder drug the players basically told the Ordo Dracul to go gently caress themselves, I figure this is bad for them, how bad?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
At what point does it becomes the storytellers fault that players are dead at the end of an encounter? Most issues can be solved with liberal application of guns in HtV. But what about monsters that dont give a gently caress about bullets?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

At what point does it becomes the storytellers fault that players are dead at the end of an encounter? Most issues can be solved with liberal application of guns in HtV. But what about monsters that dont give a gently caress about bullets?

Vampires start all of their encounters dead.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

DJ Dizzy posted:

Part of the aspect I tried to really convey to my players during our Hunter sessions was "be like Batman," and don't just go rushing in guns blazing, since lots of stuff laughs at bullets in this game.

We never got far enough to really enact some plans, but a couple players were already starting to hoard various weapons and research tactics on certain monsters :unsmith:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm looking for players for a Demon PbP in a low-key setting hack after the apparent defeat of the God-Machine. You get to explore abandoned Infrastructure and fight embittered exiles while raising a Demon-Blooded kid! Check it out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766014

The genesis of this was me wondering whether you could emulate Steven Universe as a Demon/Heirs to Hell game. You have been warned... :gay:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I don't understand why people use the Spanish ll for Camarilla when it's a Latin word.

e: though I guess the fact that the clans all use modern-ish instead of ancient words for their names sort of ruins everything

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 28, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kai Tave posted:

Source, some random website, who knows how accurate it is.

I mean, we can't really talk etymologies since this is Something a Dude Made Up, but on it's face that is super dubious. It's another language from a different region that's spelled differently and assumes a certain pronunciation so it's at best circular. (Also, I don't speak Yiddish, but at least in German that is straight up bullshit.)

Like when I was researching this I also had such amazing possible guesses as "If you drink long enough at the word for 'dragonlike' (zmeesc) in Romanian it could kind of work and I guess that's like a dracula reference..." But then why isn't it called Zmeesc?

At the end of the day it's some letters a dude in the 90's thought looked cool and the only person who knows how to say it is him. Trying to hypothesize from real languages is worthless.

Now, I'm not saying that making up new words is bad. Certainly not and especially when it is used instead of Really lovely Real Words (e.g. Metis). But 1) Shockingly there are a lot of cool real words considering the ~6-7,000 languages currently spoken not even counting dead ones so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume we can dodge the racial slurs, and 2) if we are going to make up words, can they be more interesting than the stupid fantasy author method of button mashing a keyboard/adding random h's/gently caress'ing' s'uper'fluous' a'postr'ophes'''?

It's me. I get mad at RPG proper nouns.

Sorry.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Well, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_I_Tzimiskes was an actual dude, at least, so.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yes. You have pointed to a person with a similarly spelled name. From a different region, language and culture. Not even accounting for the fact that the it's how similar the romanization is from the Greek, not even what it's supposed to be.

I do not see the relevance at all.

It's a bullshit made up name that has gently caress all to do with any real language except (maybe) inspiration.

(But again not that that's bad except for being kind of lovely to real languages, see people being like Romanian, Yiddish, Hungarian same diff as sources. Cause those are totally the same thing.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yes, there's absolutely no possible relationship between "Eastern european vampires whose hat is being eastern european nobles." and "Eastern Roman Empire ruler whose name probably comes from an ethnic group that is a sizable eastern european minority, it'd be crazy to make that connection.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

nopantsjack posted:

Just wondering from lore-buffs, instead of handing over the recipe for the wonder drug the players basically told the Ordo Dracul to go gently caress themselves, I figure this is bad for them, how bad?

The Ordo tends to favor unscrupulous, opportunistic members with more curiosity than courtesy or ethics. They don't really like to start long, vicious fights, so I imagine one of the Dragons is probably going to wait until the coterie doesn't have its eyes on them and has their hands full with something else (which seems like it won't take long at this rate), and then either try to rob them blind or drive a hard bargain between handing over the drug or making things worse for themselves, whichever seems easier. Basically not a red alert on its own, but a great way to go from bad to worse. If the coterie needs a particular mystic doodad in the future, too, the Ordo are among the vampires most likely to be able to provide or explain it, and they'll delight in holding a grudge when they decide the price for cooperation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean, we can't really talk etymologies since this is Something a Dude Made Up, but on it's face that is super dubious. It's another language from a different region that's spelled differently and assumes a certain pronunciation so it's at best circular. (Also, I don't speak Yiddish, but at least in German that is straight up bullshit.)

Like when I was researching this I also had such amazing possible guesses as "If you drink long enough at the word for 'dragonlike' (zmeesc) in Romanian it could kind of work and I guess that's like a dracula reference..." But then why isn't it called Zmeesc?

At the end of the day it's some letters a dude in the 90's thought looked cool and the only person who knows how to say it is him. Trying to hypothesize from real languages is worthless.

Now, I'm not saying that making up new words is bad. Certainly not and especially when it is used instead of Really lovely Real Words (e.g. Metis). But 1) Shockingly there are a lot of cool real words considering the ~6-7,000 languages currently spoken not even counting dead ones so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume we can dodge the racial slurs, and 2) if we are going to make up words, can they be more interesting than the stupid fantasy author method of button mashing a keyboard/adding random h's/gently caress'ing' s'uper'fluous' a'postr'ophes'''?

It's me. I get mad at RPG proper nouns.

Sorry.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes. You have pointed to a person with a similarly spelled name. From a different region, language and culture. Not even accounting for the fact that the it's how similar the romanization is from the Greek, not even what it's supposed to be.

I do not see the relevance at all.

It's a bullshit made up name that has gently caress all to do with any real language except (maybe) inspiration.

(But again not that that's bad except for being kind of lovely to real languages, see people being like Romanian, Yiddish, Hungarian same diff as sources. Cause those are totally the same thing.)

Jesus dude, if Tzimisce gets you this riled up never read like 90% of all RPGs ever because there's way, way worse poo poo out there in the bullshit-made-up-words department than something that looks and sounds like it might have actually come from an earthly language. "It doesn't have anything to do with real language...except that it was maybe inspired by one, but that doesn't count because"

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Xiahou Dun posted:

No, sorry, we totally can talk about etymologies because these names were derived from real words in a lot of cases. Three weeks ago I asked Mark Rein-Hagen were "vaulderie" comes from (for a DA assignment) and he said it was a word from French Satanism. This was correct: https://books.google.ca/books?id=k-...0french&f=false

Ioannes Tscimisce (or whatever) is not an obscure figure, incidentally. He would also make a decent famous vampire because he had a short reign and sudden death.

Anyway, when you do something other than flip the table over you can get all sorts of neat ideas, even if it also highlights how Metis and Giovanni don't work.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

My favorite speculative interpretation is that Tzimiskes means "red boot", because then Ioannes Tzimiskes I survived to the modern day as a TV actor, known for his work on "The Red Shoe Diaries".

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Dammit Who? posted:

My favorite speculative interpretation is that Tzimiskes means "red boot", because then Ioannes Tzimiskes I survived to the modern day as a TV actor, known for his work on "The Red Shoe Diaries".

Turns out that in the NWOD, still the same vampire, he's just the one funding Task Force Valkyrie from behind the scenes.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
There's another new interview with Martin E(L?)ricsson.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Foglet posted:

There's another new interview with Martin E(L?)ricsson.

How many times in that interview are there leading questions to the effect of "VtR failed".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Once, and this time he managed not to eat his foot.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Eh. It's Harlequin/GothicWizard, rebooting his MMO speculative-fan-site and once more not mentioning very clearly that it IS just a fan site. He's always hated Requiem.

And at least four, with several other questions leading on to them.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

I particularly liked how Harlequin seems to have lost it when Ericsson said Gothic-Punk was dead, and that the "goth" look of the larps was more something brought to the games by the players, and not part of the setting.

And that is a fair analysis by Ericsson if you want to sell the LARP to a wider market that is not just a bunch of 30+ ageing goths (speak as someone who enjoys the alternative music clubs in the UK).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gritty. Realistic. Verisimilitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgFPIh5mvNc

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dr_ether posted:

How many times in that interview are there leading questions to the effect of "VtR failed".

Three in quick succession followed by a fourth later. Martin does a pretty good job of trying to keep him on Task but GothWiz really doesn't like being told he's wrong.

quote:

WoDN: You’ve let the fine folks of Onyx Path Publishing continue to develop Vampire the Requiem while White Wolf is taking direct control and have a hands on approach with Masquerade. Not trying to put any salt in the wounds of Requiem fans but a valid question is what brought about that decision? Do you feel VtM is simply more marketable, well known for the types of mediums you want to break into like a Netflix series or the like?

ME: It was a painful decision, especially since I’m a CofD fan and mostly collected that before I went to CCP. The details are complex but in the end it comes down to a mix of business sense and the strong artistic voice of Mark’s original creations.

WoDN: Speaking of OPP, there seems to be some concern that with the coming of VtM V4 the V20 line will cease as you try to push people to migrate to the V4 line. Could you clarify what your stance is on this and as of now what your plans are for the V20 vampire and related lines both now and after V4 comes out?

ME: To me 5 years of V20 is starting to look like a complete edition of Vampire. Werewolf and Mage have some way to go. We are involved in approval and adjusting some minor things to hint at what is to come and make V20 compatible with future changes. Onyx Path and old WW writers are most likely to be involved in future editions as well. The core design we will handle internally because it is such a fundamental part of the future development but for the future books we aim at having a wide variety of old and new authors and publishers do great work.

WoDN: Speaking of V4, I was excited for your comments on where you envision the new edition of Masquerade going. However, I and others are a quite concerned with your comment that ‘gothic-punk is dead’. While I think we mostly all agree a refresh of the rules, mechanics and moving time forward is a great idea (like what Shadowrun does with its editions) the gothic aesthetic is what makes VtM what it is. Taking away vampires in their modern gothic clothing, crumbling city cemeteries and gothic architecture of stone spires and gargoyles in the cities and replacing them with vampires wearing reversed baseball caps in sweat pants in cities made of nothing but bright glass and steel really kills the mood and atmosphere. While gothic may not be as mainstream in the real world as it was in the 90s it certainly isn’t ‘dead’ nor I feel should it be in V4. I was hoping you could clarify your comments and put to ease those of use that are quite concerned that the modernization you envision won’t gut the core atmosphere, setting of the game we so much enjoy.

ME: A bit of a provocative statement, yes. Let’s look closer. To us Gothic Punk is great as a sensibility. Extreme wealth contrasted with abject poverty, mean, grimy streets and clinical penthouses. Nihilism and religious fanaticism, human rights and social justice contrasted with populist racism, anti-normative values mixed with almost Victorian moralism. Our current age is gothic-punk through and through, no added gargoyles needed. That ”Underworld” look feels really dated and not very exciting.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time revisiting the origin of the vampire in gothic horror literature and studied how VTM kindred are actually portrayed in writing.

Two conclusions: 1) Gothic vampire stories rely on verisimilitude to work. Dracula, Varney and Carmilla are full of believable mundane details and are framed as true narratives for a reason. 2) Kindred in VTM very seldom belong to the Goth subculture and the ”Goth-Punk” aesthetics rarely enter the text in a meaningful manner. It’s more ”modern noir” if you look at it as written. Revised waged a minor war against ”trenchcoats and katanas”. The Goth in vampire is very much something the players bring in from other sources. Can we imagine vampires hunting the remnants of the goth-scene? Absolutely. Is goth the only and global vampire fashion trend in WoD? No. Never has been. But fear not, lovers of black fishnet, right now 90’s fashion is big and there are a lot of really cool dark subcultures out there for the kindred to attach themselves to, control and suck dry. Is WoD an alternate universe? Yes. Monsters are not real and the world is all in all a pretty nice place. That is not the angle we look at it when we write WoD though. Then we seek out the most fascinating, terrifying and darkly beautiful places and phenomenon and make them part of the setting. That’s our take on Gothic Punk. Just like any fictional work the WoD games take place in a fictional version of reality. And a world of sweat pants and reversed baseball caps is nothing to aim for neither in actual or fictional reality.

quote:

WoDN: There are some parts of the community losing their minds over a few comments you made in your interview at imagonem.org. Since it was posted you added a clarification to the interview which I feel should put everything to bed, but sadly did not. So allow me to ask you this as this seems to be the root of the issue, you say VtM by far outsells VtR. Was that an off the cuff remark or were you referencing factual data in that comment?

ME: Vampire: The Requiem is the one single WW book that has sold the most copies. But immediately after that there was a sharp decline in sales and the universe faded from public view with the new edition. This is definitely partially due to the state of the publishing industry at the moment, but that doesn't quite explain the failure to break through with the new setting. Attempts were made to do a broad launch, including media licensing, but never got off the ground. Trying to force the community to do a hard swicharoo to Requiem did not make WW any friends among the OWoD fanbase either. When CCP worked on the MMO they started with Requiem but had to switch back to Masquerade after spending years on developing the NWoD setting for the MMO, but being unable to make it work. The decision was not an easy one, but we like to believe it was a considered one based on all available data.

The nineties were an era where every RPG Setting and it's brother had a line of novels. You couldn't do that in 2005. I'm not sure if you can do that in 2016 but it looks like Paradox is going to try.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't understand why people use the Spanish ll for Camarilla when it's a Latin word.

Possibly because camarilla is the modern Spanish word for political pressure group, and derived from Latin only through adding a specifically spanish diminutive?
http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/camarilla
http://dle.rae.es/?id=6uO2VO

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
What's wrong with sweatpants and reversed baseball caps?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think it's a dogwhistle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kavak posted:

I think it's a dogwhistle.

Specifically,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I'm still just boggling at:

quote:

1) Gothic vampire stories rely on verisimilitude to work. Dracula, Varney and Carmilla are full of believable mundane details and are framed as true narratives for a reason.

Because it makes my head hurt and I do not think this man has ever actually read any gothic vampire fiction.