Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People who stand right in front of the bench (when there is a bench at all, but that's another post) at a bus stop. Sit or stand, I really don't care, but if you're not going to use the bench, don't actively prevent other people from using it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Inspector 34 posted:

Why the hell do people feel the need to congregate right near doors? I get that once you go through you're officially leaving or parting ways or whatever, but come the gently caress on. Once the 1st or 2nd person has to squeeze by your little clique it's time to move out of the way or just go home.

I manage a small business and make trips to Costco for paper and toiletries about every other week. This group of customers last month blocked the god drat door while I was carrying in load after load of heavy boxes of poo poo and didn't even make a token effort to leave room for me. Every single time through the door it was "Excuse me" or "Sorry, can I get through here" and they would just stand there. I just wanted to scream at them Get The gently caress Out Of The Way!!!!! but of course they're customers and I try to treat them with whatever respect I can muster.

This was the entrance to my cube. I have to push past people to get to my desk. They'd shuffle a couple inches to the side to let me get to my chair then continued their conversation 2 feet behind me.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

This is from like a page back but if I'm walking around with my face in my phone I'm most likely trying to navigate. I'm poo poo at navigating so constantly having an updating map out is reassuring if I'm trying to get somewhere new. Granted I'm not wandering straight onto roads and I'm not randomly browsing the internet but there's at least that as a reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This happens on the bus a lot - they stand there, with room to move out of your way as you awkwardly push past them, but they just kind of stare at you. And they don't even move, either. You like, have to literally push them out of the way with your body to get to the doors, and they look kind of vaguely annoyed, and it's like...are you pod people?
It annoys the poo poo out of me when people do this. You'll get onto a tram/train where there's room for people to spread out a bit, only there's a bunch of people hanging around the doors, standing as close together as possible. What the gently caress is wrong with you? Do you enjoy being crushed? Are you deliberately making it difficult for other people to get on and off?

docbeard posted:

People who stand right in front of the bench (when there is a bench at all, but that's another post) at a bus stop. Sit or stand, I really don't care, but if you're not going to use the bench, don't actively prevent other people from using it either.
I don't see this so much at stops, but on crowded trains and trams there's often an empty seat that no one can get to because a couple of dickheads are standing in front of it. If you don't want the seat yourself at least get out of the way and let someone else have it. :argh:

Another one I see quite often is with trains specifically, you're waiting on the platform and as the train pulls in the announcement comes over the PA saying "Please do not board the train on platform <whatever>." Cue 90% of the people waiting there standing up and crowding around the doors of the train you were specifically told not to get on. Most of the time they're just getting the train ready before opening the doors, but it doesn't benefit you at all to be waiting right by them when that happens. It's hilarious though when the train is just stopping there temporarily and all the people who jumped the gun have to go and sit back down because it wasn't even the right train.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

cash crab posted:

It's especially irritating when they're coming at you in groups or pairs. I don't have the balls to just stand there either, I always step aside like a weiner.

The answer to walking on the sidewalk without being pushed off by triple-wide assholes is to:

a) Wear earbuds or headphones if possible
b) Look 10-30 degrees off the to the right as you walk. Don't - do not - try to look at the oncoming person in the face.

This is like a super-hero pedestrian outfit. Everyone will get out of your way - if only because they think all your senses are check-out and a crash is going to happen if they don't move.

Maybe one out of 20 times they'll be as checked-out as you and you'll collide, and then you look at them as blankly as possible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Places that fill their glasses with 70% ice, and 30% actual fluid. I drink a lot of water when I eat due to dysphagia issues, and I know it's done to save time standing there refilling it, but come on.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Places that fill their glasses with 70% ice, and 30% actual fluid. I drink a lot of water when I eat due to dysphagia issues, and I know it's done to save time standing there refilling it, but come on.

It might help to ask for 'light ice'? I do that when I grab an iced coffee at starbucks, but surely it'd translate over to restaurants well enough. Or 'easy on the ice', something to request more drink than filler in your cup.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It does, it's just that I don't always remember that the restaurant in question does it, or its a place I rarely go, etc.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Wedemeyer posted:

It might help to ask for 'light ice'? I do that when I grab an iced coffee at starbucks, but surely it'd translate over to restaurants well enough. Or 'easy on the ice', something to request more drink than filler in your cup.

I asked for no ice in starbucks because I wanted more tea, but they just put the same amount of tea and filled the rest with water.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

It always annoys me in pubs, because when I ask for a glass of water I don't think to say "no ice". If I wanted ice, I'd ask for ice. If I ask for a glass of water I expect to get exactly that. Why do they always assume I want ice?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

It always annoys me in pubs, because when I ask for a glass of water I don't think to say "no ice". If I wanted ice, I'd ask for ice. If I ask for a glass of water I expect to get exactly that. Why do they always assume I want ice?

I asked this to my girlfriend who is a bartender, and it's as I assumed: it's quicker to dump a bunch of ice into the cup and fill up the remainder than sit there and fill a full glass. Plus, most folks who order water (especially at a bar) usually wind up not drinking most of it anyway unless you're someone like me (and you, I guess).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It really ticks me off when you're sitting on the beach and someone either pops a tent up in front of you, or decides to put their stuff immediately next to you. There's plenty of room, just spread out and be considerate. It's not like I'm at Bondi on 26 Jan or something - there's *heaps* of space.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Thin Privilege posted:

I asked for no ice in starbucks because I wanted more tea, but they just put the same amount of tea and filled the rest with water.

At the coffee shop I worked, our iced tea was brewed super strong specifically so that when the ice was melting it would still taste good and not like watery poo poo, but it would be pretty gnarly to drink straight.

When I worked fast food I always hated people who ordered their soda with no ice, just because 99% of them were insufferable douchelords who only ordered it like that because they thought we were filling the cup with ice to rip them off. Like we were trying to scam them out of half a cent worth of soda, but they knew the ONE WEIRD TRICK THAT RONALD MCDONALD HATES. Like, I don't care if you don't want ice in your soda just don't be loving weird about it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

well why not posted:

It really ticks me off when you're sitting on the beach and someone either pops a tent up in front of you, or decides to put their stuff immediately next to you. There's plenty of room, just spread out and be considerate. It's not like I'm at Bondi on 26 Jan or something - there's *heaps* of space.

I've grown to feel the same way about bus/tram stops. There's no reason to stand like shoulder to shoulder with me, the tram is really long and there's plenty of empty sidewalk. When I first moved here I thought it was kind of strange that most people spread out so far but I've gotten accustomed to that buffer space.

e: and yeah, the only people I've heard of ordering no ice do it not because they dislike ice, they just want that extra sip or two of soda to get their money's worth. They are right that you get more soda, but I've never found it worth the hassle of turning my regular order into a custom one.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 09:42 on Feb 27, 2016

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I order without ice because I've never liked watered down soda.

Peeve: adults who act like toddlers when bad poo poo happens. When the game doesn't load, when your computer shuts down, when you can't find your keys or something, anything, is broken. The reaction for a sane adult is not to slam things around, scream curse words loudly, or throw things. Especially loving cell phones and computers. Yes, I understand it's frustrating as poo poo when your phone suddenly dies. When your cable box goes off. When you can't find a loving piece of mail. But that doesn't mean you revert back to screaming tantrum status, slam doors, and throw expensive loving pieces of equipment because you're angry. A guy at work does this. My own mom does it. And trying to point out to either of them that if they just stopped screaming, if they let the page load, or they kept their passwords written down somewhere safe, is a good way to start another screaming fit.

As for sitting right next to you, parking is the same. The entire lot has 100 open places, so Dumfuck McGee decides to pull in RIGHT next to you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I hate drinking water that is ice cold. I want to chug that poo poo down and have the water inside me asap. I'm not drinking it for the experience.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rolo posted:

I hate drinking water that is ice cold. I want to chug that poo poo down and have the water inside me asap. I'm not drinking it for the experience.

You clearly need a better water sommelier

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Stoatbringer posted:

My new pet peeve is this dude.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Oh no now there are even nerds about water

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LibreOffice keeps auto-correcting "themself" to "themselves", even after I removed it from the auto-correct list. :argh:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
The thing that I don't get about ordering a drink with no ice is that after 10-15 minutes, especially in summer, your drink is going to be all lukewarm and gross. I'll take a sip less of soda (or... just get a refill) if it means I can drink it for longer than a few minutes without losing one of the main refreshing qualities of a beverage.

I do realize this is just me and everyone has their own reasons for being on the ice/no ice side, but it's one of those things I just don't get.

Also this is from forever ago, but one of my new coworkers makes me walk right beside her whenever we go to another part of the office, even when it's a narrow hallway. And she walks slow, so I wind up hearing an 'ahem' behind us and just trying to smile apologetically at the person we were blocking as they go past. I hate that.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Stoatbringer posted:

Everyone in, and involved in the production of, this article is bad and needs to be spoken to sternly in a way that makes them realise these facts.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

cash crab posted:

Everyone in, and involved in the production of, this article is bad and needs to be spoken to sternly in a way that makes them realise these facts.
I'm not a particularly radical person, but it's the kind of thing that brings guillotines to mind.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If we're getting that mad at stupid people, save the guillotines for McCarthy and ilk, the anti-vax poo poo costs lives.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

AlphaKretin posted:

If we're getting that mad at stupid people, save the guillotines for McCarthy and ilk, the anti-vax poo poo costs lives.
Somehow, though, it doesn't reek of the same level of self-indulgent waste.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Stoatbringer posted:

:wtc:

I drink a lot of water. I like water, a lot. But this is some crazy poo poo. poo poo like Voss is expensive just because of the bottle, not because it's any better or worse than anything else.

(plus, he's entirely wrong, water should be borderline freezing.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Stoatbringer posted:

This inspired me to watch The Waterboy again.

Anyway I acknowledge some water is better than other water, but even the best water in the world is...just water. Out of all the things to be a pretentious snob about, water is the silliest thing. Anyone who pays 20 dollars for an "artisinal" bottle of water is insane.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I drink water from an empty reusable bottle of VOSS for work because the bottle is a good thick glass glass that's the perfect size for the cup holders in my car and the company vehicle I drive. Plus, something about drinking water from a glass bottle instead of a plastic one makes the water taste better (had a plastic bottle before that I could not get rid of that funky smell from mouth bacteria no matter how clean I got it that made the water gross to drink). Only cost me $2.50 at Walmart for the bottle, which I thought was a pretty good deal for a sturdy water bottle I could reuse. The water wasn't half-bad, either, but water's water to me, be it bottled, filtered, or tap.

I also drink water room temp or a little cool, not cold because I chug that poo poo and like having my teeth and esophagus not slowly die from frostbite.

You Are A Werewolf has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Feb 28, 2016

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

I drink water from an empty reusable bottle of VOSS for work because the bottle is a good thick glass glass that's the perfect size for the cup holders in my car and the company vehicle I drive. Plus, something about drinking water from a glass bottle instead of a plastic one makes the water taste better (had a plastic bottle before that I could not get rid of that funky smell from mouth bacteria no matter how clean I got it that made the water gross to drink). Only cost me $2.50 at Walmart for the bottle, which I thought was a pretty good deal for a sturdy water bottle I could reuse. The water wasn't half-bad, either, but water's water to me, be it bottled, filtered, or tap.

I also drink water room temp or a little cool, not cold because I chug that poo poo and like having my teeth and esophagus not slowly die from frostbite.

Ladies and gentlemen: The most boring thing on the Internet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think I need to get into this natural water business. Got plenty of fish tanks! A 50mL bottle can sell for....what, $10? Promised to be all natural with all natural flavors and no chemicals! *Note, natural flavor includes fish piss and poo poo.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Disgusting Coward posted:

Ladies and gentlemen: The most boring thing on the Internet.

People be talkin' about drinking water and poo poo. Water is water and this much is true:

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyway I acknowledge some water is better than other water, but even the best water in the world is...just water. Out of all the things to be a pretentious snob about, water is the silliest thing. Anyone who pays 20 dollars for an "artisinal" bottle of water is insane.

Sorry if I triggered you, bro.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean I can kind of understand the water stuff because drinking from a glacier stream on a hike is delicious and nothing like drinking tap water or whatever. But I don't think it needs a dedicated restaurant to charge the intelligentsia £20 a bottle :psyduck:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fools and their money and all that.

A peeve that is a little :3:

When my cat comes into the bathroom after I've taken a bath and then rubs her side on my legs, so I am now covered in damp cat hair. Thanks, idiot. Way to go

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

cash crab posted:

When my cat comes into the bathroom after I've taken a bath and then rubs her side on my legs, so I am now covered in damp cat hair. Thanks, idiot. Way to go

You're welcome, duder.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

cash crab posted:

I had a cat that would do this. Actually, she'd meow and scratch at the door while I was taking a bath too, then rub and fuss over me when I came out, murring and occasionally nipping my toes. I think she just wanted to get her cat smell all over me again.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Slime posted:

I had a cat that would do this. Actually, she'd meow and scratch at the door while I was taking a bath too, then rub and fuss over me when I came out, murring and occasionally nipping my toes. I think she just wanted to get her cat smell all over me again.

My cat is just an overprotective idiot. He'll bust into the bathroom if I don't make sure it's properly latched because if I'm in there by myself I may drown or somehow die while making GBS threads. But if he's in there staring at me like a doof I'm safe as houses.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cash crab posted:

So shut the door?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Tiggum posted:

So shut the door?

This is after, when I have opened the door so that I may leave. She has no schedule, she can wait for hours. Yes, it is my fault for not completely drying myself after my bath HOWEVER she is still an rear end in a top hat.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Useless online recipe reviews. I see this kind of thing a lot:

"Thick & Fluffy Pancake Recipe"

Reviewer: "Pancakes way too thick and fluffy. 1/5"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I'm the opposite. When I go out I want a glass full of ice and whatever poured through the cracks. That way it melts over time into delicious cold water instead of lukewarm flat soda with a layer of water on top. It's like a lovely self refilling glass of water, especially when the waiters end up loving off for 30 minutes and I can't get a refill.