Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Northrop changed from flathead screws to philips and is now charging us billions for the same plane we already own.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/breaking-news/2016/02/26/b-21-bomber-air-force-lrsb/80976160/

E: Maybe it's missing the decimal, it's actually the B-2.1

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I trust a computer more than the average pilot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think it's fair to say that given the thousands upon thousands of successful total non-event takeoffs completed on 320s daily, and the probably dozens or even hundreds of "ATC we need a minute to work out a computer problem here" completely reasonable and prudent delays taken by pilots, that this guy was decidedly not average.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

A computer is only as good as its operator.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Northrop changed from flathead screws to philips and is now charging us billions for the same plane we already own.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/breaking-news/2016/02/26/b-21-bomber-air-force-lrsb/80976160/

E: Maybe it's missing the decimal, it's actually the B-2.1

quote:

While there are no existing prototypes of the aircraft, the artist rendering unveiled Feb. 26 is based on the initial design concept

lol it's a render based on concept art.

There's a Greenlight/early-access joke in here but I'm not nearly clever enough to make it.

edit: There's a poll and "The Obama-er" and "John Cena" are choices but neither is anywhere close to winning.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 27, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, the initial design concept is "It's a B-2, but we get charge for it all over again!"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well, there are goofballs anywhere. But a commercial pilot at an airline isn't really average.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yeah, the initial design concept is "It's a B-2, but we get charge for it all over again!"

An embiggened Spirit, as it were.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shove the throttles to toga and go flying if you're going to ignore what it's telling you to do (retard)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Remember that talk earlier about that poor Ex-NASA engineer that takes Challenger personally? While he isn't totally out of his funk it seems like he had some helpful words lately.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...racle-happened/

quote:

Ebeling spoke to NPR for the 30th anniversary of the Challenger explosion last month. Remarkably, he had spoken anonymously to the same reporter three weeks after the explosion, but now he was ready to speak publicly. He sadly recalled the day and described his three decades of guilt.

“I think that was one of the mistakes that God made,” Ebeling told NPR. “He shouldn’t have picked me for the job. But next time I talk to him, I’m gonna ask him, ‘Why me? You picked a loser.’ ”

But listeners didn’t hear a loser. And they sent hundreds of e-mails and letters to NPR and directly to Ebeling telling him so, NPR first reported Thursday.

His daughter, reached at their Utah home, said she’s been reading him the letters. Engineering teachers said they use him as an example of good ethical practice. Professionals wrote that because of his example they are more vigilant in their jobs.

But there was one person that made him finally start to believe he wasn’t to blame.

Allan McDonald, who was Ebeling’s boss, reached out after the NPR interview aired to tell him that he had done everything he could have done to warn them, including calling Kennedy Space Center to try and stop the launch.

And a spokeswoman for NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden sent a statement commending courageous people like Ebeling who “speak up so that our astronauts can safely carry out their missions.”

“It’s wonderful, it’s like a miracle,” Kathy Ebeling said. “It’s starting to change his mind that he doesn’t feel so guilty, so that’s a miracle. Thirty years of guilt is long enough.”

He told NPR that his “burden,” while not totally gone, was “certainly reduced.”

Howard Berkes, the NPR reporter who has known him for three decades, wrote that “Ebeling is now more buoyant than at any time I’ve seen or talked to him in the past 30 years.”

“Dad, have these letters helped you in finding your peace?” Kathy Ebeling said she’s asked him. He told her, “yes.”

“He doesn’t have to die with this nagging guilt,” she said. “He can die free.”

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Remember that talk earlier about that poor Ex-NASA engineer that takes Challenger personally? While he isn't totally out of his funk it seems like he had some helpful words lately.

Dawwwww :3:

Good for him!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Thank god, because that original story was loving depressing. I can't imagine having that over my head for 30 years and trying to shoulder all the blame.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's really quite awesome that he's finally realizing that he actually did the right thing and that it was the people above him not listening that was the 'wrong', and not him.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

slidebite posted:

:unsmith:

The first article was a huge downer, I'm glad he's found some peace.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Tsuru posted:

Beating the skydivers to the ground is pretty awesome as well. Here is a Do-28 doing roughly the same:

(Caution: Sail ahead)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPGSzLhCKlc

View from outside the plane. Looks like the pilot does this a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1NEOwDwapk

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Linedance posted:

Pilot says go - no wait stop no too late go go go drat gently caress stop I mean stop gently caress, computer says retard.

I know the feeling though. You used to know how to do all of these things yourself, but then instead of making your own decisions, you start getting told what to do and when to do it 99.9% of the time, so you stop thinking for yourself and just start following the instructions, and then that one time the system breaks down you're totally lost. Of course I'm not a pilot, just a married man :haw:

Seriously though:

Alereon posted:

the captain's side stick was pushed forward (nose down) and back (nose up) two times reaching 16 degrees nose up and 16 degrees nose down maximum inputs, the aircraft's pitch and vertical acceleration followed the pitch inputs. In response to the next nose down input, as vertical acceleration reduced, the thrust levers were reduced

why would you pitch up and down like that? Total indecision?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Boomerjinks posted:

Signs that you'r an airplane nerd: Watching this video you want it to pan back to the Fokker Trimoter that's just idling in the foreground.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ardeem posted:

Signs that you'r an airplane nerd: Watching this video you want it to pan back to the Fokker Trimoter that's just idling in the foreground.

Sign you're a real airplane nerd: Knowing the difference between a Fokker Trimotor and a Ju-52.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Sign you're a real airplane nerd: Knowing the difference between a Fokker Trimotor and a Ju-52.

*Goes back, checks the low wings, hangs up his nerd cred in shame*

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Buttcoin purse posted:

why would you pitch up and down like that? Total indecision?
I'm assuming the same thing as pilot-induced oscillation:

quote:

Pilot-induced oscillations are sustained or uncontrollable oscillations resulting from efforts of the pilot to control the aircraft and occurs when the pilot of an aircraft inadvertently commands an often increasing series of corrections in opposite directions, each an attempt to cover the aircraft's reaction to the previous input with an overcorrection in the opposite direction. An aircraft in such a condition can appear to be "porpoising" switching between upward and downward directions. As such it is a coupling of the frequency of the pilot's inputs and the aircraft's own frequency.
So he saw the nose coming up faster than he wanted and pushed the stick forward too fast to try to stop it, and that caused the nose to drop faster than desired, repeat until the plane is crashed.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Alereon posted:

I'm assuming the same thing as pilot-induced oscillation:

Oh of course, thanks, that makes sense.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Boomerjinks posted:

Jumpplane and towplane pilots probably have a tendency to remove any unneeded meters from the landing pattern.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Boomerjinks posted:

That's smooth as hell

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Boomerjinks posted:

With one engine out no less... because why the gently caress not

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pretty sure that's just an optical effect from frame rate of the video.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

So it's NOT breaking the sound barrier:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-wildly-misunderstood-aeronautics-event-captured-in-this-photograph

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

holocaust bloopers posted:

That's smooth as hell

Some (some) of that's the aircraft. That's a Do 28. It's one of those planes specially designed to land on unimproved postage stamps and fly backwards if there's a strong enough headwind.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

So it's NOT breaking the sound barrier:
It is at least up against the sound barrier though, that's what generates the shockwaves causing the visible condensation. Seems like an overly nit-picky article, but typical of the quality you get from Atlas Obscura.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 28, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You can get the vapor at far below the sound barrier if it's humid enough. Probably not in a cone or during level flight, though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Godholio posted:

You can get the vapor at far below the sound barrier if it's humid enough. Probably not in a cone or during level flight, though.

This. If the aircraft is at or above the critical mach number for any surface (which can be as low as Mach 0.7), you could technically have this phenomenon occur.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Gotta love those wanky outwards-angled engines.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Saw this today...I really need to start on the road down my PPL :(

http://imgur.com/gallery/0ck7l

McDeth fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 29, 2016

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrChips posted:

This. If the aircraft is at or above the critical mach number for any surface (which can be as low as Mach 0.7), you could technically have this phenomenon occur.

It doesn't even need to be above the critical Mach number for any surface. The pressure just needs to be low enough to drop the temperature below the dewpoint, which is likelier to happen at high lift coefficients, i.e., low speeds. Which is why you'll see it happen to airliners on approach in humid days. Either as a cloud attached to the upper surface of the wing in the low pressure area, or in a persistent streak in the wake vortices off the wing tips, flap tips, etc.

https://youtu.be/dBjTnS-X8ik

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 29, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

vessbot posted:

It doesn't even need to be above the critical Mach number for any surface. The pressure just needs to be low enough to drop the temperature below the dewpoint, which is likelier to happen at high lift coefficients, i.e., low speeds. Which is why you'll see it happen to airliners on approach in humid days. Either as a cloud attached to the upper surface of the wing in the low pressure area, or in a persistent streak in the wake vortices off the wing tips, flap tips, etc.
We are specifically talking about the vapor cones that form during transonic flight though. The pressure differences are being formed by shockwaves rather than flow effects, which is why they look so well-defined.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The coolest part of watching the Blue Angels practice in Pensacola, FL was the insane humidity making for great vapor effects.

We were standing off the the right of show center and after each solo pass they'd bank and pull hard and the whole wing would just about turn white.

Fluid dynamics are insane.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Alereon posted:

We are specifically talking about the vapor cones that form during transonic flight though. The pressure differences are being formed by shockwaves rather than flow effects, which is why they look so well-defined.

You're right about the distinction, I thought the discussion was moving toward a generic catch all of low pressure condensation (and I still think that may have been happening before my post, depending on what exactly godholio meant in his post).

I will, however, pedantically note that what is popularly referred to as "vapor" is not vapor (invisible gas state of water, that is around us all the time everywhere) but rather condensation, tiny droplets of liquid water produced by cooling the vapor to its dewpoint, same as a cloud.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 29, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I also did not realize we were speaking strictly of cones.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Eric 'Winkle' Brown passed away recently, 97 years old. (He's Captain Eric Melrose Brown CBE, DSC, AFC, KCVSA, PhD Hon FRAeS, RN to you and me) He was known has Britain's greatest pilot. His achievements and experiences boggle the mind:

• A ride with Ernst Udet convinced him to become a pilot
  • He attended the 1936 Berlin Olympics and watched Hitler shake Jesse Owen's hand
  • He attended the 1938 Nuremberg rally (not as an eager supporter I might add)
  • He flew 487 types of aircraft, a world record unlikely ever to be surpassed
  • He had 2,271 carrier landings, a world record unlikely ever to be surpassed
  • He witnessed the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp
  • He personally interrogated Göring
  • The list goes on!

Set aside an hour to watch this doc where he tells his own story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe5ul37Q7g

Or on the BBC iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b045pbq2/britains-greatest-pilot-the-extraordinary-story-of-captain-winkle-brown

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 29, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I saw the news, didn't know there was a documentary - will certainly have a watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone ever been to Pima? I'm going to be in Tucson for vacation and I was planning to set aside a day for it.