Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

- Want high MPG
- Don't care much about storage
- Plan for short commutes but may drive the car cross country when I get a new job
- Don't have a family
- Basic transportation is fine
- Spending $4,000 to $6,500 USED for less than 100,000 miles

Prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Used Corolla or Corolla platform cars like scions. 2nd gen Honda fits if you can find one in that price range.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Yes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah we meme on the prius a lot but it's basically tailored to the market you're in. You could probably go older than the years you said and still be fine, they're pretty much rock solid.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Enourmo posted:

How old is the battery?

if this was your headlights, that's plenty of time to kill your battery. You could get a jump, drive around for a while to let the alternator charge it up and hope for the best. but the thing is, car batteries aren't designed to be drained deep like that, so it does wear the chemical plates down inside and reduce the battery's service life.

if you can't get it to hold a charge, or if it cranks after you charge it but more slowly than it used to, go ahead and replace it, save yourself the hassle of getting stranded later.

Yeah it's 7 years old. It will be able to get boosted but sounds like I should replace it. Just wanted to double check.

I plan on driving across america next month in it anyways

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

lol internet. posted:

Yeah it's 7 years old. It will be able to get boosted but sounds like I should replace it. Just wanted to double check.

I plan on driving across america next month in it anyways

poo poo, even without it dying I'd replace a7 year old battery.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Can you get a prius under 100k for $4-6k? I know around between 100-200k miles is when the big battery replacement is coming up, which makes buying a high miles one a little hairy. My parents spent about 3k getting their camry hybrids batteries rebuilt by a third party vendor at around 140,000 miles. It was worth it, and the car was totally bulletproof otherwise, but it is something to consider.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I replaced my original battery after it finally died after13 years of service :patriot:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Klaus Kinski posted:

Recommended oil change is every other year and this one had a full service + oil change when I bought it :shrug:

Uh, http://www.toyota-tech.eu/MaintenanceSchedules/yaris/Final.pdf

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I am planning on buying a used car (from 2010 on) in the coming weeks/months. What would you guys say is the most reliable brand?

Get a Toyota Corolla with a 4-speed automatic.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So Corolla, Honda, or Pruis?
I'm not going to lie, I have always wanted an electric/hybrid. It's just that the $3,000 battery replacement turns me off of them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That's the Yaris, not Auris. I don't think they're the same platform, but I'm too lazy to figure out if they share drivetrain components.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Corolla, Honda, or Pruis?
I'm not going to lie, I have always wanted an electric/hybrid. It's just that the $3,000 battery replacement turns me off of them.

Guess how much I was quoted to replace my radiator/oil cooler/heater core because my engine block left the factory with casting sand inside.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Would an 02 Accord with the V6 have the exploding transmission syndrome? Helping a coworker buy a car and I've found a clean, one owner Accord with maintenance records.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If it's an automatic then yeah that's the year range and I believe they had issues throughout the generation.

If it's a unicorn manual transmission then those are not affected iirc.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Enourmo posted:

If it's an automatic then yeah that's the year range and I believe they had issues throughout the generation.

Yeah I've done some digging and it seems like it wouldn't be a great choice considering her last car was in the shop for transmission work for ages. No manual on the V6 IIRC, which is unfortunate.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Godholio posted:

Guess how much I was quoted to replace my radiator/oil cooler/heater core because my engine block left the factory with casting sand inside.

I know lovely things can happen to non-hybrids and whatnot, but things like that aren't the norm. The $3000 is a guaranteed expense.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

I know lovely things can happen to non-hybrids and whatnot, but things like that aren't the norm. The $3000 is a guaranteed expense.

When is that guaranteed expense supposed to hit? Because every vehicle is guaranteed to get hit by something at some point. Maybe it's a transmission failure, maybe it's a blown headgasket, maybe it's a plastic timing gear wearing out. But you also have to consider the operating costs over the life of the vehicle, and that battery saves you a lot over the course of ownership. I suspect it's not such a big hit when you actually compare it to an ICE-powered car.

And also, yes, when you're dumb enough to buy a Chrysler product this kind of expense IS the norm. Mine's a 2012 with 60k miles, and they're still churning out Pentastar engines with casting sand as we speak. And it only took about two years of production to stop building faulty bank-2 cylinder heads (I've got that issue, too). Fortunately the garbage clock spring is "only" $170 on amazon, and those things are trash across from the beginning of the current lineup across almost everything Chrysler makes. :sigh: Next time I'm buying a TJ.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

V6 didn't get a manual until the 2003 model year redesign - 02 is still the 98-02 generation.

Either way, the auto behind the V6 is definitely to be avoided until at least 2004.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just have a blanket rule of no god drat transverse v engines

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You don't like unbolting engine mounts and moving the engine a bit (GM) or removing the upper intake manifold (Toyota) to change spark plugs?

Next you're going to say you don't like inventing new ways to swear. :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I worked on ma friends ratty Mazda 6 3.0l and swore off of anything like it again :clint:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What are the advantages of manual vs automatic?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You feel cool as hell shifting a stick :whatup:

More control of your vehicle (passing people on highway, driving in snow), better mpg if you focus on improving it, cheaper to replace if/when something goes wrong.

Though these advantages aren't always 100% true.

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 28, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Godholio posted:

That's the Yaris, not Auris. I don't think they're the same platform, but I'm too lazy to figure out if they share drivetrain components.

It says Auris, right next to Yaris :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Control freaks like myself need the control of manual shifting!

If you know what you are doing, you can really get way more miles out of a manual, and a clutch replacement is not nearly as in depth as repairing whatever weird wizard parts are inside of auto boxes.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I got just robbed instead of robbed and carjacked in my manual civic, so there's that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How long does it take to learn how to drive stick?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It takes maybe an hour to learn the basics. A few days of regular driving to achieve some proficiency. And years to master all the nuance, if perfecting your craft is something you're interested in.

I took my first lessons on a manual, but drove an automatic after getting my license. I bought my first manual car a year ago and I'm still getting better with it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've been driving stick for 7+ years and I'm still improving things like rev matching downshifts. Agreed that the basics are there in about a week. Then you spend time on being smoother and using less throttle to get moving.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That said, a lot of the benefits (lighter weight, better MPG) have disappeared with new cars and their essentially computer controlled manual/automatic transmissions, where the automatic is actually a dry clutch manual with a computer doing the clutch and shifting for you. Despite what people, even here, will say, usually the computer does know best (for economy).

None of the above applies to slushboxes. The only thing a torque converter does well is make cars that should be dangerously underpowered actually drivable in the city. A torque converter is also a torque multiplier: this is how cars like the autostick beetle got away with only two gears. The first gear was higher than an actual first gear, but the torque converter multiplied torque so you didn't stall out at every light.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Am I overthinking seeing paper tags on a car that is for sale from a private seller in Texas? You only get the paper tags when you're waiting on a permanent plate, so it just seems odd that if you're selling the car, you don't have a real plate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Am I overthinking seeing paper tags on a car that is for sale from a private seller in Texas? You only get the paper tags when you're waiting on a permanent plate, so it just seems odd that if you're selling the car, you don't have a real plate.

You get a PPI? Can you physically inspect the title? Does the name match the sellers ID?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

None of the above applies to slushboxes. The only thing a torque converter does well is make cars that should be dangerously underpowered actually drivable in the city. A torque converter is also a torque multiplier: this is how cars like the autostick beetle got away with only two gears. The first gear was higher than an actual first gear, but the torque converter multiplied torque so you didn't stall out at every light.

There are more than a few cars out there now that, using variations on the traditional torque converter and planetary gear automatic, offer equal or better fuel mileage with the auto. Most of them now lock the torque converter up as often and as early as possible, while older cars only did it in the highest gear during cruise conditions. I suspect there are some extra tricks you can play with engine management when the same computer manages both the engine and transmission.

My Honda CRV will downshift on its own to maintain cruise speed on a long downhill grade by using engine braking. Kinda awesome, honestly.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So it used to be manual > auto for advantages but now auto has taken up all of manual's strengths?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So it used to be manual > auto for advantages but now auto has taken up all of manual's strengths?

Sorta. A lot of manuals get worse mileage on the highway because the final gear is lower or dated compared to a cvt or auto. Look at trucks that still have manuals. They're still running nv3500/n4500's and no 6th gear.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well, yes, except for the theft deterrence. Also the penis enhancement, but I thought that was an unspoken thing.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Autos can't see the road ahead and anticipate a gear change from a hill, turn or whatever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ozmiander posted:

It says Auris, right next to Yaris :)

For gently caress's sake. I looked at the filename and the sentence at the top of the page to double-check.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

You get a PPI? Can you physically inspect the title? Does the name match the sellers ID?

Yeah I'm helping a friend and telling them to do this, but seems weird to see in the pictures, and makes me want to avoid that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Autos can't see the road ahead and anticipate a gear change from a hill, turn or whatever.

I think it's only a matter of time until they do, even without full autonomy engaged.

You've also got to figure that the "cost" of an automatic shift is usually very low to none. It takes very little time for it to grab the tallest available gear compared to a manual, especially a manual being driven sedately. It might not be ideal in every scenario, but more often than not it probably ends up saving fuel by doing so.