Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ben Nevis posted:

So if you were going to "power up" a darker beer, something like Old Chub, is that still Campari or does it call for something else?

I like Old Chub with a little brandy. Save that Campari for your Yella Pils

edit: btw Oskar Blues is gonna do a special infused beer for us to put on draft at my restaurant :cool: really stoked , I didn't realize that's a thing they could do

goferchan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might have to try brandy next time I buy Old Chub. That's one of my favorite beers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I can't do it, I'm sure it's a great example of a scotch ale but I guess I just hate scotch ales. Everything else OB touches is gold though

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The beer thread said it's unusual in that it has more hops than most scotch ales. I have been meaning to pick up a pack of the Founders Dirty Bastard that they also recommended, but I never go to the giant stores in town anymore, and the one across the street doesn't carry it.

I actually haven't tried much else from OB, I tried and didn't like their Yella Pils. I need to try Ten Fiddy, and I think they had some other sort of dark beer. I might try their Pale Ale / IPA, but I'm really more of a dark beer guy. Ambers and reds are about the lightest I go. I'll drink an IPA if someone gives it to me, but it's not my thing. Although after last night, I have to think that an IPA might make a good Dog's Nose.

I went up to the brewpub in Lyons, CO before I was of drinking age. I remember the food being good, but back then I was on a seefood diet, so who knows. They've got a 15'x15' room off of the bar full of old arcade games that still only cost 25 cents per play. I've been meaning to go back up there. I was worried that the place got taken out by the giant flood that hit Lyons back in 2013, but I heard it's still there.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Gin in beer makes me understand why my first American ancestor was in debtor's prison before he became a rum runner. Jesus.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Campari is great with hard cider if you have some of that laying around. The lack of inherent bitterness kinda screams for something like Campari.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Luxardo for 27? Green chartreuse for 57??? Are these reasonable prices, I really want to make last words.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Luxardo for 27? Green chartreuse for 57??? Are these reasonable prices, I really want to make last words.

Ugh they're 35/67 respectively in NC, so I'd say yes. Guess it depends on where you're living but I don't see them being much cheaper

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

goferchan posted:

Ugh they're 35/67 respectively in NC, so I'd say yes. Guess it depends on where you're living but I don't see them being much cheaper

Decided to get campari and vermouth. Maybe I'll splurge on the chartreuse for my birthday or something. Boston area for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think I found my new "might as well enjoy global warming and drink on the porch on a February afternoon" drink and it's cocchi americano, mineral water, and regan's orange bitters on the rocks

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

silvergoose posted:

Decided to get campari and vermouth. Maybe I'll splurge on the chartreuse for my birthday or something. Boston area for me.

Those are very fair prices for the Boston area unfortunately. Totally worth it though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Horn posted:

Those are very fair prices for the Boston area unfortunately. Totally worth it though.

Yeah, I'm getting that. At least I can make negronis now and I'll get the last word ingredients some other time.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Campari is great with hard cider if you have some of that laying around. The lack of inherent bitterness kinda screams for something like Campari.

Crampy Ciders!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Aside from Aviations what are some good simple cocktails that call for Maraschino? I have a full bottle and although I don't hate it I'm not super fond of it right now either. Any good ones to ease me into it? Going straight up for it on the rocks or neat isn't going to do it for me.

Also loving the Campari. I'm almost out of my bottle although I have been having it with ice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ty for reminding me I need lemons for aviation

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

syntaxfunction posted:

Aside from Aviations what are some good simple cocktails that call for Maraschino? I have a full bottle and although I don't hate it I'm not super fond of it right now either. Any good ones to ease me into it? Going straight up for it on the rocks or neat isn't going to do it for me.

Also loving the Campari. I'm almost out of my bottle although I have been having it with ice.

Martinez!

2 oz. sweet vermouth
1 oz. gin
1/2 tsp - 1/4 oz. maraschino (to taste)
2 dashes bitters, dealer's choice (although lots of people seem to favor orange bitters, I've only ever had it with aromatic stuff)

Stir, coupe, lemon twist.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

A customer (who "hates vermouth") had me make weird manhattan variant with 2oz Templeton Rye .5oz Punt e Mes and .5oz Luxardo the other day and it sounded funky but I tried it later and it was great. Try throwing it in a Manhattan.

Also a Last Word is extremely simple and popular

edit: also Hemingway Daiquiris/Papa Dobles. I worked at a bar that had one on the menu with a really floral, grassy rhum agricole & I was in love with it. Honestly tho just experiment by subbing it in for the sweetening agent in other cocktails that you like. If you're substituting it for simple syrup, I would probably start with half as much Maraschino as you would simple and then work up from there. Sometimes it'll work better than others but it's worth trying out. poo poo, throw some in a cosmo, that honestly sounds dope to me

edit edit: whoa please don't think you need to drink it straight up or on the rocks , that sounds kinda vile

goferchan fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 27, 2016

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Hemingway daiquiris and last words.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tonedef131 posted:

Hemingway daiquiris and last words.

Precisely this.

And if you end up having Green Chartreuse you need to use up because you bought it for Last Words, just dump that stuff in hot chocolate. In fact, do that anyway because it's loving awesome.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you can find it, Boomska Cloosterbitter is a flavor halfway between green and yellow Chart (although a touch sweet) and is really cheap. I pay $17 a 750 bottle vs 48-52 for green chart. In cocktails it works just fine if you just mess with the ratios a touch.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If you can find it, Boomska Cloosterbitter is a flavor halfway between green and yellow Chart (although a touch sweet) and is really cheap. I pay $17 a 750 bottle vs 48-52 for green chart. In cocktails it works just fine if you just mess with the ratios a touch.

It is seriously great. Ask for it by name (and be prepared to spell it).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I drink Martinezes and Manhattens all the time but I don't think I've ever had Maraschino in one, I'll super have to try one. I do like a good Daiquiri too.

Green Chartreuse has always been up on my list but the cost of one bottle (AU$75 here, AU$60 for the Yellow) is a bit of an obstacle. I'm sure I'll love it, but it's just that upfront cost. Can anyone give me taste descriptors for it that aren't just "herbs"? Like, is it minty, or more like cilantro, or maybe celery or whatever? Spicy? I always see people talking about it but no-one seems to actual say what it tastes like relevant to actual things I may have tasted. I wouldn't even have a clue about where to find Boomska here.

On a related note, what's the deal with Pernod and Ricard? Pernod is absinthe-not-absinthe? Is it worth it? Ricard is described as "a slight 'sea-side' flavour is imparted by the salt spray that licks the barrels." which tells me absolutely nothing. Is it like the whole Aperol/Campari thing where they are both of the same flavour profile but one is sweeter/stronger/whatever?

And a final note, Vespers are tasty, tasty drinks.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

syntaxfunction posted:

I drink Martinezes and Manhattens all the time but I don't think I've ever had Maraschino in one, I'll super have to try one. I do like a good Daiquiri too.

Green Chartreuse has always been up on my list but the cost of one bottle (AU$75 here, AU$60 for the Yellow) is a bit of an obstacle. I'm sure I'll love it, but it's just that upfront cost. Can anyone give me taste descriptors for it that aren't just "herbs"? Like, is it minty, or more like cilantro, or maybe celery or whatever? Spicy? I always see people talking about it but no-one seems to actual say what it tastes like relevant to actual things I may have tasted. I wouldn't even have a clue about where to find Boomska here.

On a related note, what's the deal with Pernod and Ricard? Pernod is absinthe-not-absinthe? Is it worth it? Ricard is described as "a slight 'sea-side' flavour is imparted by the salt spray that licks the barrels." which tells me absolutely nothing. Is it like the whole Aperol/Campari thing where they are both of the same flavour profile but one is sweeter/stronger/whatever?

And a final note, Vespers are tasty, tasty drinks.

I can't describe the taste of Chartreuse, but it's good. Herbal/medicinal is kind of the only way I can put it. There isn't one single herb that seems to come out greatly

Pernod and Ricard taste of Anise and nothing else. I like it a lot, but there is nothing subtle about them. (Only had pernod once, but drink ricard and other cheap pastis regularly) To me they are all more or less the same

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So I officially got the promotion to bartender at the restaurant I work at, and I'm starting to stock up my home bar for experimentation purposes. I impulse-bought a bottle of Bonal when I was out yesterday because I've enjoyed it in cocktails, but now that it's staring me down I'm not really sure where to start with it. Outside of the obvious move of using it instead of sweet vermouth, does anyone have any further tips? And do I have to refrigerate it like vermouth or no?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My wife wants an absinthe serving kit (spoon, dripper, whatever else) for her birthday. Any recommendations?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Anyone got some recipes for Punt y Mes? It seems closer to Campari than any sweet vermouth, a bit like 2/3 of a Negroni in a bottle. So obviously it goes well with gin, but beyond that, my experimenting has been pretty inconclusive.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
My husband's 35th birthday is coming up and he wants to try a flight of tequilas. I'd like to pick up six small (750 mL) bottles so he hand his friends can have a bit on the rocks each. He's currently into aged tequilas but the last one he tried was aged in bourbon casks and he can't stand bourbon, so I'd need to steer clear of anything along those lines. A new or "middle-aged" (I don't know tequila terms) to throw into the mix would be nice for contrast. Currently, his favorite is the aged Herradura, and my price range is roughly $30-$40 a bottle. Suggestions? I already know to stay away from Tito's.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

pgroce posted:

Anyone got some recipes for Punt y Mes? It seems closer to Campari than any sweet vermouth, a bit like 2/3 of a Negroni in a bottle. So obviously it goes well with gin, but beyond that, my experimenting has been pretty inconclusive.

Go with a Redhook.

2oz Rye
.5oz Punt e Mes
.5oz Maraschino liqueur.

Stir with ice, strain into chilled glass.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

SIr_Lienad posted:

Go with a Redhook.

2oz Rye
.5oz Punt e Mes
.5oz Maraschino liqueur.

Interesting. I made a long drink with Punt and a fair bit of Maraschino in it this evening and it turned out well. Totally different proportions though: 1.5oz gin, 3oz Punt, 1oz Luxardo, then .5oz lemon and some soda. (It made way too much, but I mostly like the proportions. Might cut to 1oz gin, 2oz Punt, .75 Luxardo next time.)

I'll grab a new bottle of rye (:rip: Rittenhouse, in PA at least) and report back.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Chartreuse is what you imagine straight aromatic bitters would taste like, if straight aromatic butters tasted good.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Fart Car '97 posted:

aromatic butters

don't give me ideas, man

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SIr_Lienad posted:

Go with a Redhook.

2oz Rye
.5oz Punt e Mes
.5oz Maraschino liqueur.

Huh I just posted about this the other day and didn't know it actually had a name, thought it was just some customer's go-to-order. Of course it does though, everything has a name!

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Fart Car '97 posted:

Chartreuse is what you imagine straight aromatic bitters would taste like, if straight aromatic butters tasted good.

Angostura makes an amaro that's pretty drat good. There are also Trinidad sours where most of the booze comes from bitters and they're amazing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

LOL scrub rear end mothers what don't drink straight Ango shots to gently caress with your homies' COGS

E: a bad post

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So a long time ago I posted a thread about using centrifuges to clarify blood for culinary use, but my centrifuge didn't seem to be able to do the job (I suspect the butcher shop put in anti-coagulants) so I mothballed it for a year.

I recently got Dave Arnold's Liquid Intelligence cocktail book and since he uses centrifuges a lot I finally dusted mine off. It works great!

Blended banana with bourbon and a couple grams of pectin enzyme, ran them through the centrifuge for about 15 minutes. Drink was initially a little too strong but got better as the ice melted. The sweet flavors of banana and a clean texture without the papery/starchy flavors!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I've been having a blast with Liquid Intelligence. I have a proper carbonation rig and ISI, but otherwise none of the specialty equipment he covers. I'm thinking about picking up a centrifuge, LN2 dewar or chamber vac to further my experimentation. I'm only looking at like 120ml centrifuges though and it seems like that might be a lot of work for very little product, you think it's worth the trouble or should I just skip over that and keep my clarifications to gels?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Let's see... on Amazon a 90ml Champion centrifuge is $140, the 120ml centrifuge is $270. It would seem that your money would be better spent on getting two 90ml centrifuges.

Mine is 3oz capacity and pumps out 2.5 oz of product every 15 minutes which I think is enough for one stiff drink.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I was looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MO4YYKW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I2YAFP6Z03MJ12

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo that's a bargain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So what kind of cocktails can I make with blood? I assume I'll need Carpano Antica.