Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nopantsjack posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/28/eu-referendum-stop-personal-attacks-on-anti-eu-tories-duncan-smith-tells-cameron IDS bitching about Cam being mean to him or some poo poo.

Traditionally the tories can't help but self-destruct over Europe so maybe Corbyn not doing anything will fall under that whole political adage of don't interrupt your opponent when he's digging his own grave.
I think theres some hope that basically Labour being in such a diablolical loving state will galvanise the tories into thinking that A: theres nothing standing in the way of the really nasty, nonsensical poo poo they want to do (which is arguably already going on) and B: now is the time to air all their dirty laundry and start stabbing eachother in the back over who is the most right wing nutbag of them all.

Honestly, I hope he keeps hitting them on their current policies around education, health, housing, and inequality. Keep the pressure on them about the things that matter whilst they keep the pressure on themselves about Europe. It seems like any discussion of Europe is going to piss off about half the population at the moment, so it seems wise to keep schtum.

Which is why of course every single journalist will ask him about it and nice guy that he is, he'll provide a thoughtful and reasoned answer that can easily be soundbited out to make him sound loving bonkers.

:smith:

E: second snype of the day, still going to point out that 83 years ago today Hindenburg passed the Reichstag Fire Decree on Hitler's advice and laid a major building block for Nazi Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

shrike82 posted:

Find it odd that Amazon Prime Now defaults to a 2-pound tip for deliveries.
I thought the point of a Prime sub was you got free next day deliveries?

That's a bit loving cheeky if you ask me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

shrike82 posted:

Find it odd that Amazon Prime Now defaults to a 2-pound tip for deliveries.

What the gently caress? I've not seen that.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Amazon Prime Now is the one-hour courier delivery service, not the next day shipping.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
no... not tip chat... why would you do this?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LemonDrizzle posted:

I don't, and have never heard of it being something that anyone would be expected to do.

I think the general rule is if you pay cash, you tip. So if you're getting pizza delivered you tip, if you're getting furniture delivered which you previously paid for, you don't. Stuff like Just Eat gets kind of muddy, though.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

CoolCab posted:

I think the general rule is if you pay cash, you tip. So if you're getting pizza delivered you tip, if you're getting furniture delivered which you previously paid for, you don't. Stuff like Just Eat gets kind of muddy, though.

somebody has not read his Orwell

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hoops posted:

Amazon Prime Now is the one-hour courier delivery service, not the next day shipping.
My mistake.

It'd still be better if they didn't sneak this additional charge in like that though. If the new service is untenable without the extra charge, just be up front about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I don't tip.

I put down zero as the tip in restaurants and then slip some cash to the waiter, because of places pulling poo poo like this.

Although it doesn't do much to stop other poo poo like this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I don't tip.

I put down zero as the tip in restaurants and then slip some cash to the waiter, because of places pulling poo poo like this.

Although it doesn't do much to stop other poo poo like this.

Well poo poo, I might have to start taking up the 0p tip to at least prevent the first situation.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

big scary monsters posted:

Would you tip a Trident captain after he fired his nukes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Yes, I'd row out to hand him the tip in person. The tip would be roast beef monster munches cut diagonally.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zephro posted:

Be rude not to IMO.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I'd happily tip his submarine.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They absolutely covered it up

And it now seems to appear that in a desperate drive to try and convince people that the senior management didn't cover it up, they are throwing anyone they can under the bus. Except for, you know, the dead guys that covered it up.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

This isn't about the power of positivity at all! :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How to live for FREE: quit your job and claim benefits. It's 100% viable and not at all stressful, we promise. (it's either that or an article about kyuponning) e/f;b vv while I was adding that proviso

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 28, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

How to live for FREE: quit your job and claim benefits. It's 100% viable and not at all stressful, we promise.

I bet you it's coupons

you have no loving idea how much people want to spread the American coupon shopping thing here

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

It sounds like the most pointless loving thing ever. Gloss news.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spangly A posted:

I bet you it's coupons

you have no loving idea how much people want to spread the American coupon shopping thing here

I think I do :v:

Isn't half the reason it works in America to do with their supermarkets generally not including "limit one per customer" clauses and also being forced to acknowledge couponners' freeman-esque rules lawyering by some piece of legislation or other?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ignorant people telling you stores about positive things in as few words as possible without trying to suggest one side might be right?

Well that's the news for me!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
e: nvm

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I think I do :v:

Isn't half the reason it works in America to do with their supermarkets generally not including "limit one per customer" clauses and also being forced to acknowledge couponners' freeman-esque rules lawyering by some piece of legislation or other?

I hate daytime tv and I pray others dont also watch coupon shows

it's always funny when they get one of the limit one per customer ones, they always fail to grasp it and end up hundreds of dollars out. Also it's always hoarders.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

I bet you it's coupons

I thought the coupon thing was dying out in the UK compared to the past due to loyalty cards and other systems.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TT we're going to need closure here

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the coupon thing was dying out in the UK compared to the past due to loyalty cards and other systems.

aren't loyalty cards also dead due to supermarkets using them to entrap customers before all slashing their value, accidentally dooming themselves to a slow death and replacement by Aldi?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How come Aldi and Lidl do so well here anyway? They pay better than other places as well. Is all their stuff made out of dead african orphans or something?

I mean from shopping in them they don't seem to waste as much time window dressing the shop, just shove pallets and bins of stuff out and let you buy it. Don't imagine that would account for the difference though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

How come Aldi and Lidl do so well here anyway? They pay better than other places as well. Is all their stuff made out of dead african orphans or something?

I mean from shopping in them they don't seem to waste as much time window dressing the shop, just shove pallets and bins of stuff out and let you buy it. Don't imagine that would account for the difference though.

How do the upper end of their payscale and profits allocated to shareholders compare with Tesco etc?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Spangly A posted:

I hate daytime tv and I pray others dont also watch coupon shows

it's always funny when they get one of the limit one per customer ones, they always fail to grasp it and end up hundreds of dollars out. Also it's always hoarders.

I like when the people spend most of their free time coupon collecting. They always seem to think they're somehow gaming the system, when they're actually working a second job that pays solely in Walmart scrip.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's very fast-paced work from what I heard when I applied to work there, they're constantly on the move. It's not that they're paying more for the same work, it's like they're condensing the work and the pay with it, which I imagine would get a lot more done in a day.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

OwlFancier posted:

Aldi and Lidl (German discounters in general) are the kings of process optimization. One often cited example is that Aldi only switched to barcode scanners after they forced their suppliers to print the barcode in such a way on the products that it will be scanned regardless of how it's dragged across the scanner, because only then it was faster than the cashiers doing it by tipping in the code by hand.

Another important factor is that they have very condensed range of products and squeeze their suppliers very hard and don't spend a lot of money on advertisement.

How do the upper end of their payscale and profits allocated to shareholders compare with Tesco etc?

Both Aldi and Lidl are not publicly traded but held by family trusts and especially Aldi is ridiculously secretive, so this kind of information is not publicly available, but they are paying their upper staff very competitive wages.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Dabir posted:

It's very fast-paced work from what I heard when I applied to work there, they're constantly on the move. It's not that they're paying more for the same work, it's like they're condensing the work and the pay with it, which I imagine would get a lot more done in a day.

friends that walked the aisles locally said it was about as many people running the whole show as Sainsburys had as "shelf restock technicians" at any one time, but also that not being called a loving shelf restock technician + higher pay made it a better job for them.

The common word is that a lot of their profitability comes from reducing waste through stock selection (the dumping of damaged/unsightly goods) and something about the way they import things, I'm guessing a tax examination would likely find them UnCorrect.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I always laugh at Co-op coupons - here's £2 off your next £20 shop - only valid for a week - after I've just spent £40 on a grocery run.

Even Tesco coupons replaced a mini-booklet of random coupons for stuff they feel you buy frequently with a smaller, more confined version where each set of coupons had like a ton of conditions attached (You can only use THIS coupon during this week!) and now they don't even bother anymore, they just give you a single coupon for some derisory sum like £3 each month.

I don't even know why I bother gathering Tesco points anymore.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Little late to the party but it just happened across my timeline

https://twitter.com/Stoviesplz/status/704059242513362944

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PiCroft posted:

I don't even know why I bother gathering Tesco points anymore.

Same reason anybody ever played cookie clicker.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

OwlFancier posted:

I looked into a job at an Aldi graduate scheme at some point in the past.

They do pay a lot of money, or so it seems. But the work conditions are ridiculous. They're very coy when asked about work hours, they just tell you that you will have to work until you've done everything you're supposed to. From talking to people who've done it, 60-70 hour weeks are the norm. On the graduate program they also expect you to travel between stores constantly - you're given a list of things you have to do at stores hours away, and if you drive at the speed limit you're too slow.

They burn through people really quickly, have massive turnover. That's how their business model works. They pay you the salary of 1.5 people to do the job of 2.5 people, spend minimal amounts on training so they don't really care about high turnover.

Not sure how it is on the lower rungs of the ladder than graduate scheme but I don't imagine it's much more relaxed. They staff the stores with very few people. It's why they can afford to pay those people more, and sell things cheaply. Next time you're in one, compare the number of employees you can see to the number at any other similarly sized store.

I suppose it does work out for some people, if someone is cut out for that kind of work. Many fewer people think they are than actually are.

That's one of the major things. The other things are they are extremely aggressive negotiators. They are very happy to dump suppliers at a moment's notice. They also don't care about the prestige or reputation of the suppliers - they do care about the products not being utter poo poo, but they only sell own-branded things, so they don't pay a markup to store a known brand.

They don't have many choices of things in their stores. As in, you want product A, you have one or two options, rather than five or six like most bigger stores.

Those savings really add up. They are excellent at logistics.

The Aldi owners are known for being ridiculously stingy. To the point where senior management sometimes pretend to use pencils when they visit because the old farts consider pens to be a frivolous expense.

If you want an example of a store that is doing well and treats its workers well, then John Lewis/Waitrose are good examples.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

If you want an example of a store that is doing well and treats its workers well, then John Lewis/Waitrose are good examples.

Except the ones that management has redefined as not actually working for them :ssh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When you make posts like this you're a pretty decent poster. Please stick to posts like this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

They burn through people really quickly, have massive turnover. That's how their business model works. They pay you the salary of 1.5 people to do the job of 2.5 people, spend minimal amounts on training so they don't really care about high turnover.

I work really near an aldi and i'm in it nearly every day and i'm not sure this is true. lots of the staff have been there for a long time. this could just be true for the aldi i work near

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

I work really near an aldi and i'm in it nearly every day and i'm not sure this is true. lots of the staff have been there for a long time. this could just be true for the aldi i work near

Sounds like the Aldi I know - staff have been there for many years, quite often, and for all I know will be there for years and years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Just a shame there aren't any in Swansea. Like, if the closest Waitrose wasn't over half an hour away maybe I'd try them out :v:.

• Locked thread