Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I've found that I burn through pve much faster using the beam/frag combo on my vulture, even though it runs hot and I farm Xihe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Libluini posted:

You're right. Both the Cutter and the Corvette could need a nice upgrade to their FSDs, for one. I look at the Corvette and I think Frontier made it so heavy only because they noticed how people could wring silly jump ranges out of the Anaconda by ripping out parts. They really didn't want people using the Cutter and Corvette for exploration, it seems.

Hell, if they really want both ships to be so heavy, they could easily upgrade the armor a little bit, since both ships come with less armor than the cheaper and lighter Anaconda. This is really silly, it's like technology degraded after the Anaconda and now people in this universe can't build ships as strong and light like it anymore. :shepface:

The "lore" explanation is that after centuries of war and the outlawing of AI ship design capabilities are not as good as they used to be. Hence the most modern ships being boxes with engines.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JosephSkunk posted:

I've found that I burn through pve much faster using the beam/frag combo on my vulture, even though it runs hot and I farm Xihe.

Go to IX Chikan (I forgot how it's spelled just search "IX CH" in the navigation tab) there's a RES at planet 5, though the outpost there doesn't do repair/ream meaning you have to fly to the station in the system to repair.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
So I've been using this Eagle: http://coriolis.io/outfit/eagle/12C3E3C1C2B2C2C0p232300B4286a00.Iw1-EA==.Aw1-EA==?bn=CombatEagle Should I stay with it until I can go for a Cobra III or directly go to a Viper III ?

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I would say wait until you can comfortably afford (and outfit) a Cobra by virtue of it being more of a multi-role ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, but what kind of role will the Cutter have once they release the Panther Clipper?

Hey now, you know how this is going: We will know the ship's capabilities exactly 1 day before the Panther Clipper is added thanks to :frontear: roleplaying the Athenian Oracle

Until then, all we can do is assume there's a 50/50 chance of the Clipper either obliterating the Cutter or the Clipper being godawful poo poo.

Also I predict Frontier will be releasing another ship together with the Panther Clipper. It will be slow, heavily armed and very bad at exploration. :frontear: will call it the Explorator, just to rubb salt into our wounds.

Rhubarb94 posted:

The "lore" explanation is that after centuries of war and the outlawing of AI ship design capabilities are not as good as they used to be. Hence the most modern ships being boxes with engines.

Now that's interesting. Did this happen before or after the Anaconda was designed (29th century, I think)?

If the answer is "before", I from now on fully expect my Anaconda to go SkyNet at any given moment. :colbert:

Edit:

Also, is there a minor faction somewhere fighting against this unjust law? Because I would be down to help them create our new machine overlords fight against this oppression.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

More truly multipurpose ships worth a drat less than 20-57 million credits off the shelf, regardless of faction standings, would be swell. The Asp Explorer feels like it's too much of a target for it's price point if you want to go "And also combat" with it, but I'm sure plenty of people get good use out of it. Courier seems super sweet but cramped for internal space.

Cobra MK IV gives me the sense being deliberately mediocre due to it's "hope you bought stuff before February!" accessibility. But nothing else seems to come close to it's price point for internal slots, jump range, and the ability to shoot 4+ weapons relatively straight at the same time.

Hopefully if they do make something between the Imperial courier and Imperial clipper, it's actually good. Even if I haven't gotten around to Empire rank by then.

Totally agree. There seems to be an abundance of "bottom end" and "high end" ships with not a lot in between.

Feels a bit like there needs to be some more in the 30-40 million range and the 80-12 million range.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
If you have Horizons and haven't tried doing the following at least once, you really really REALLY should give it a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZr1kNDlZjs

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Libluini posted:

Now that's interesting. Did this happen before or after the Anaconda was designed (29th century, I think)?

If the answer is "before", I from now on fully expect my Anaconda to go SkyNet at any given moment. :colbert:

Edit:

Also, is there a minor faction somewhere fighting against this unjust law? Because I would be down to help them create our new machine overlords fight against this oppression.

New powerplay faction - the Culture

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

nightwisher posted:

If you have Horizons and haven't tried doing the following at least once, you really really REALLY should give it a try:

Say, for those with a Rift, do you get anything close to vertigo in these situations?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Say, for those with a Rift, do you get anything close to vertigo in these situations?

I got vertigo from disabling flight assist when using my normal monitor, I'm thinking I'd puke the bile in my stomach if I was using a vive or rift for it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

nightwisher posted:

Can't wait to try this in VR and vomit in my cornflakes.
June can't get here soon enough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is it worth it to kit out a Diamondback Explorer as a fighter or should I just load it up and use it as a space trucker. I've also not done a single bit of trading so I have no idea how to do it.

Edit: or should I load up a Viper MkIV or a Cobra MkIII for space trucking?

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 28, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

So I've been using this Eagle: http://coriolis.io/outfit/eagle/12C3E3C1C2B2C2C0p232300B4286a00.Iw1-EA==.Aw1-EA==?bn=CombatEagle Should I stay with it until I can go for a Cobra III or directly go to a Viper III ?

If you want to do a little bit of everything, cobra is a good bet. But I disagree with DonVincenzo that you have to sit in an eagle until you have 5 million to properly outfit one. You lose very little by treating yourself to The Viper Experience in the meantime, and it's a blast. Get in a viper while you continue to grind credits, and then when the time comes to fit out a new ship you'll have had a taste of something a little less agile than an eagle, which might inform whether you want to fly the cobra or DBS after the viper. A lot of people forget about it because it wasn't there when they were space poor, but if you just want to shootmans and not be a Mary Sue (you didn't specify so idk), the DBS trounces the cobra as your next stepping stone up to the Vulture

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Absolutely, it really screws with your head.

Also thanks for the advice to everyone that told me to get a Vulture, this thing is a complete murderboat compared to the Cobra III. No comparison.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Are the joysticks recommended in the OP still current?

I'm thinking about getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BitBasher posted:

Absolutely, it really screws with your head.

Also thanks for the advice to everyone that told me to get a Vulture, this thing is a complete murderboat compared to the Cobra III. No comparison.

Yeesh the vulture looks expensive, I can't wait to afford that one.

Choco Happy Ending
Mar 16, 2009

Mmmmfffppphggghhg

Super Dude posted:

I'm thinking about getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

That is a very good HOTAS for that price.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I wish Thrustmaster would make a step up from that with an updated T16000M and a throttle. It goes $40 HOTAS straight to $500 HOTAS.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

TomR posted:

I wish Thrustmaster would make a step up from that with an updated T16000M and a throttle. It goes $40 HOTAS straight to $500 HOTAS.

T16000M + CH Pro Throttle

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've been looking for a CH Pro Throttle to pair with my glorious joystick from the motherland for ages now, unfortunately you can buy three T16000ms in the UK for the price of one Throttle. The prices are fookin' ridiculous.

I'm seriously considering buying a cheap TFlight or something and ghettoing an analogue thumbstick onto it using an arduino. What could possibly go wrong?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeesh the vulture looks expensive, I can't wait to afford that one.

Buying at YI mart got me a Vulture for about 6 million and change total that murders the piss out of things despite being not remotely all the way upgraded. In fact the Power Distributor is my only A rated part, everything else is C or D and it absolutely demolishes things compared to my 100% fully modded all max A rating Cobra III. Just target power plants and apple core things.

Also, to go with talk immediately above, I feel this game is about a thousand times more fun with a joystick.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

I've been looking for a CH Pro Throttle to pair with my glorious joystick from the motherland for ages now, unfortunately you can buy three T16000ms in the UK for the price of one Throttle. The prices are fookin' ridiculous.

I'm seriously considering buying a cheap TFlight or something and ghettoing an analogue thumbstick onto it using an arduino. What could possibly go wrong?
I'm considering it as well, as otherwise the thing is pretty much perfect. I assume you've seen it but if not, here's a little guide: http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-a-little-two-analog-axis-thumb-joystick-to-you/

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is it worth it to kit out a Diamondback Explorer as a fighter or should I just load it up and use it as a space trucker. I've also not done a single bit of trading so I have no idea how to do it.

The DBE comes out slightly ahead of the viper for cargo capacity but has a significantly better jump range, but if you want to fight stuff you want the diamondback scout, the explorer is too fat to be a good combat ship.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Speaking of combat ships:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback/33A4D4A2D3A2A4C2a2a29290202000029296i2o.AwRj4yKA.AwgsGZkhGaQJkfMog===

I keep trying to make this work but I absolutely cannot reliably hit anything with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Am I losing my mind? Didn't there use to be a stand-alone entry in the steam library for "Horizons?" I haven't played for over a month and now I just have "Elite Dangerous" as an entry and it doesn't show installed.

e: It does show in program manager though. :wtc:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
They changed it to a DLC season pass bit a go due to feedback.

They got more of the same feedback afterwards, so :shrug:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

El Grillo posted:

I'm considering it as well, as otherwise the thing is pretty much perfect. I assume you've seen it but if not, here's a little guide: http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-a-little-two-analog-axis-thumb-joystick-to-you/
Yeah, I remember seeing that, it's what I had in mind. The only thing holding me back was for some reason I got the idea they'd used a glue gun, and I shouldn't be let near a glue gun ever.

On reading that though: "I used scotch double sided mounting tape which works really well, to stick it to the throttle stick on my hotas."

loving A. I have a new project.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Atrayonis posted:

They changed it to a DLC season pass bit a go due to feedback.

They got more of the same feedback afterwards, so :shrug:

So should I uninstall my horizons install from program manager and download the game from Steam again?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

slidebite posted:

So should I uninstall my horizons install from program manager and download the game from Steam again?

Only if it stop working. You might however have to re download next year once we go to season 3.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Yep, you have to re-download Elite: Dangerous. After starting the download, if you quit steam and then copy all of the files from your Horizons install into the Elite Dangerous directory you'll shorten the download substantially. You still need to download another 6 or 7 gigs on top of that though because you're forced to also re-download the 32-bit version of the base game and the demo as part of the full package.

aleksendr posted:

Only if it stop working. You might however have to re download next year once we go to season 3.

I think it officially stopped working for everybody with the most recent patch because the version of the launcher was changed the game as a whole was updated and you can't get the patch just for the standalone Horizons game.

timn fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 28, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e: ^^ OK thanks.

Not sure I understand, I don't even show a horizons entry in my library anymore, just the standard Elite Dangerous entry (As opposed to Elite Dangerous: Horizons) although Horizons does show installed in my program manager.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BitBasher posted:

Buying at YI mart got me a Vulture for about 6 million and change total that murders the piss out of things despite being not remotely all the way upgraded. In fact the Power Distributor is my only A rated part, everything else is C or D and it absolutely demolishes things compared to my 100% fully modded all max A rating Cobra III. Just target power plants and apple core things.

Also, to go with talk immediately above, I feel this game is about a thousand times more fun with a joystick.

Glad you are enjoying it. Once you get it fully kitted out with A-rated drives, and power plant it's (IMO) one of the best combat ships in the game. You can basically sit right in the blindspot of larger ships and melt their power plants.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

BitBasher posted:

You actually only need B grade thrusters, you will barely hit the actual optimal weight (which is half the stated optimal weight, :frontear: ) with a completely full A spec loadout but B grade thrusters - the only reason to go A grade is for more jump range.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you decide to do trading, I suggest starting with the Type-6, since you apparently already have enough money for the DBE, they're both similar in price.

Type-6

This fit gives you 80t cargo a jump range of 27+(empty)/~20(full) ly and it won't immediately burst like an egg if someone looks at it funny. Still, only do this if you really like trading, the Type-6 is only good for trading and exploring (the latter thanks to high jump range and lots of internals).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Type-6 is also deceptively quick in a straight line if you factor in boost (never not boost).

With good thrusters it can keep pace with (if not outright outrun) all but the fastest combat ships. Although once you've got going, stopping again isn't all that easy...

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Speaking of combat ships:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback/33A4D4A2D3A2A4C2a2a29290202000029296i2o.AwRj4yKA.AwgsGZkhGaQJkfMog===

I keep trying to make this work but I absolutely cannot reliably hit anything with it.

There's nothing wrong with fitting gimbals for pve if you're having trouble landing shots, the old faithful small beams + medium multis setup works wonders on the DBS.

For pvp, since it looks like you're stealthing with that fit, you could use small gimballed multis and medium PAs. I've seen that used on a stealth setup to tear apart a vulture right under outpost guns

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 28, 2016

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

The T-flight is probably a better hotas than anything saitek/madcatz offers, just for the QC issues with the x52 alone. As far as I'm concerned, it's the T-flight, CH, or Warthog or its bullshit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Libluini posted:

If you decide to do trading, I suggest starting with the Type-6, since you apparently already have enough money for the DBE, they're both similar in price.

Type-6

This fit gives you 80t cargo a jump range of 27+(empty)/~20(full) ly and it won't immediately burst like an egg if someone looks at it funny. Still, only do this if you really like trading, the Type-6 is only good for trading and exploring (the latter thanks to high jump range and lots of internals).

Ok cool I can reasonably afford that, so is the image in the OP still useful for rare trading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
If you're trying to boost your rep with an outposts factions, what would be the best commodity to dump there? Would it be the one with the lowest supply?

• Locked thread