Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

You can give out duchies and as long as you tick the "include lower titles" box it'll give them all of the counties and baronies under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Chriiisttt, the new beta patch has overdone it a little bit. They really didn't need the strong "not on the council" malus and seeing as the base state for now seems to be "all hate all the time" inheriting hateful maluses combined with short-reign (which seems to have been lessened?) means that you are extra hosed ON TOP of a discontent council that almost right away seeks your death.

I mean, how the hell does it even say who is a strong vassal? None of these fuckers are individually super strong, but they all seem to think that they're "strong vassals". If they're going to have literally every duke want to be on the council, there needs something more than just an advisor title.

Also:

Why does the Ibadi caliph have to be sayyid? It is literally impossible to get that trait as any of the starting Ibadi, barring some supremely game-y poo poo. The closest you can get is if you start as the dudes on the corner, swear fealty, conquest into Mecca/Medina then go independent. I suppose you could also engage in religious shenanigans; convert to a matrimarry faith, invite a sayyid, then get the kid in, probs simplest through going republican.

Also, for fucks sake, if they're going to keep in a tedious goddamn mechanic like diplomatic distance, they should at least let you filter the assholes you can't interact with away.

This is really frustrating because though the Kingdom of Ireland is now in control of a decent chunk of Scotland, most of Wales and parts of England, Ibadi is doing awful, which is pretty annoying as it's probably the most resurgent religion around right now.

Solemn Sloth posted:

So this is my first time playing through a decent chunk as a catholic power, and hence first time winning a crusade.

Demesne 146/13........

What's my best bet? I'm guessing allowing my steward to automatically do everything is a big mistake because he will no doubt gently caress it all up. Do I just spend the next thirty minutes manually organising baronies, counties and duchies in Andalusia? Also it costs me 300 gold per noble created so I guess I'm finding people to invite to court for all the county positions
Make a city the main holding in a place. Click on the castle, click the tiny icon for "making a vassal", then gift that vassal the holding. You can then either give that vassal the the county, then enough to make up a duchy by himself: This is cheaper. If you want to divide power a bit as well as shop around, repeat it for all the counties in the duchy, then give it to the one you like.

Also give every member of you dynasty a county at least. Gotta up that score!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Solemn Sloth posted:

What's my best bet? I'm guessing allowing my steward to automatically do everything is a big mistake because he will no doubt gently caress it all up.

This is correct, never ever do this and it's retarded that this "feature" was ever added to the game.

You can just assign all the titles in a de jure duchy to the new duke you're appointing and let him sort them out. Though if you're worried about having overpowerful vassal dukes you can take the time to hand out each county individually so that each duke only has one county of his own. They'll revoke the others over the next 10-20 years anyway but at least their ability to challenge you will be slowed while they're consolidating their own demesnes.

It's also a good chance to make sure every male dynasty member in the world is either holding a title or no worse than second in line to one. This does require a good deal of micromanaging slog, though, to ensure you don't accidentally set someone up to be only a couple "accidents" away from a tripledukedom and enough power to seriously challenge you for the throne.

Or if you're powerful enough to never have to give a poo poo what your vassals think of you, which since you just won a crusade you very well might be, you can just click the "include lower titles" box when handing out duchies, let the dukes sort out their own realms and be done in about 5 minutes. Just bear in mind you're going to have to defend against a jihad in about 3 years once all the Muslims' levies have refilled so you should be ready for that.

e: f;b on just about everything I said :argh:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 26, 2016

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
It's a child education event when you're a drunkard so might be a weird place to have a narcissistic moment

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is correct, never ever do this and it's retarded that this "feature" was ever added to the game.
It has one quasi-use now - if you're in a regency and aren't allowed to hand out titles without council approval, and if the council won't let you give them to who you choose (they never do, apparently), automatic allocation is better than holding on to them or giving them away against the council's wishes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also, for fucks sake, if they're going to keep in a tedious goddamn mechanic like diplomatic distance, they should at least let you filter the assholes you can't interact with away.

Seriously. This and a "will this character come to my court?" button (in the character finder; it exists when you're looking through lists of claimants to a title) have been obvious missing features since Day One and it's baffling that Paradox has never shown any interest in adding them. Of course I've never seen a mod for them either so maybe they're extraordinarily difficult to code in ways that I am not smart enough to understand.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

Seriously. This and a "will this character come to my court?" button (in the character finder; it exists when you're looking through lists of claimants to a title) have been obvious missing features since Day One and it's baffling that Paradox has never shown any interest in adding them. Of course I've never seen a mod for them either so maybe they're extraordinarily difficult to code in ways that I am not smart enough to understand.
Those aren't features which would be within the scope of normal moddability.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I mean, they can do it with plots, why not for claimants?

And yea, sometimes the differing systems don't operate well together, like how sometimes you can search for traits, sometimes not.

Also, there's no easy/simple way to save-edit right? I'm just going to have to give up on the stupid caliph title and any hopes of Ibadi being non-poo poo unless I decide to fab on Mecca/Medina.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

I mean, they can do it with plots, why not for claimants?
Because its hard coded for plots and not actually something you can mod

Although...

Strudel Man posted:

There is a hacky mod for "will accept invitation" - it uses a on pulse event to run the calculations for accept invitation and then adding/removing a trait depending on the result.

Might be able to do something similar for diplo distance using the is_within_diplo_range condition.

EDIT: https://github.com/gavelkind/invitation_traits
Look at all those if conditions!

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 26, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Also, there's no easy/simple way to save-edit right? I'm just going to have to give up on the stupid caliph title and any hopes of Ibadi being non-poo poo unless I decide to fab on Mecca/Medina.

If you're debating save editing to change something, just use the console. Much easier and it takes effect immediately.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Save editing is pretty easy, just make sure the save is uncompressed and notepad (or better yet, notepad++) can open it. I mostly use it to change characters' names when I notice some dynasty member born outside my court was given a stupid name (yes I'm picky about names okay shut up). Most everything else can be done with the console.

Assigning a Caliph title to a character prrrrrobably can be done via save file editing but it's probably complicated. I imagine the console could do it more easily.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Im in ironman, me and the console are old buddies at this point.

The save I opened just had gibberish though, that mean its compressed? Tbh, all Id do would be to give mychar sayyid, as that lets me form the title naturally.

Tbh, I can deffo see it as a possible event, so that non-sunni with a shotload of piety might form the title via event. Have it happen for king and above and it would help boost the various varieties if Islam.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ironman saves are automatically compressed and you can't edit the savefiles. If you're not in ironman you can uncheck a box to make it save uncompressed.

Throw off the shackles of cheevos! Learn to stop worrying and love to cheat.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Ironman saves are compressed and encrypted too iirc.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
There's a program somone made on the pdox forums for decoding Ironman saves.

Here it is, Ironmelt

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ehhhhh, if it's a hassle, I'm just gonna try and gently caress around to get it. Still a bit sore, because getting that 1000 piety meant that I had to run 4 simultaneous holy wars, while fighting off pretty much all the British Isles, only to then find out that it just means that I have a shitload of very marginal land.

I guess I'll just make the Empire of Mali instead, as consolation, before revoking my two vassals which last time ended up becoming the Jewish and West-African rival patricians. Though, I am still sorta tempted to do that; it's definitely tempting to have them hang around and possibly make a nuisance of themselves later...

Anyway, my problem with the console is that I think of all the cool exciting things I can do, like dividing all of the Arabian empire into different calpihs, turning India into a series of Zoroastrian merchant republics, having the Aztecs invade at game start or making all of Western Europe Finnish Pagan, while the cold tribal north is turned into the last haven of christianity.

Some of those were extra great when great holy wars triggered very quickly after you hosed around with religions. Fraticelli India vs Catholic Eurasia vs Reformed Finnish Pagans vs Yazidi Persians vs Zun Africa was all good stuff. It's just that then you just spent 3 hours getting all working, only to then realize you don't wanna play right now and end up doing something else. Thank gently caress for alt-tabbing.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Chief Savage Man posted:

If they have at least four and you exterminate their entire house, you'll get at least one. No telling which but that's the only way I've found thus far.

I thought that was one of the things the patch notes said they had fixed.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I've vassalized the Templars and Hospitalliers(I think it was them), is there any advantage to giving them more land?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Becoming Holy Roman Emperor overwrites all your other empire level titles. Working as intended?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Solemn Sloth posted:

I've vassalized the Templars and Hospitalliers(I think it was them), is there any advantage to giving them more land?

AFAIK, their hireable holy order army will get bigger the more land they have, and when they join wars they are a bigger help. At least when my Jomsvikings went on a conquering spree in the Baltics, they always offered to join everyone's defensive holy wars with a huge angry viking stack.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I mean, how the hell does it even say who is a strong vassal? None of these fuckers are individually super strong, but they all seem to think that they're "strong vassals". If they're going to have literally every duke want to be on the council, there needs something more than just an advisor title.

Also:

Why does the Ibadi caliph have to be sayyid? It is literally impossible to get that trait as any of the starting Ibadi, barring some supremely game-y poo poo. The closest you can get is if you start as the dudes on the corner, swear fealty, conquest into Mecca/Medina then go independent. I suppose you could also engage in religious shenanigans; convert to a matrimarry faith, invite a sayyid, then get the kid in, probs simplest through going republican.

I think it's just your X biggest vassals based on amount of territory they own, even if they own a pittance compared to you.

Maybe, just maybe, the Ibadi caliphate is intended to be difficult to form? If the Sayyid condition was easy then there would be no reason to ever bother with the territory conditions (though it was probably much easier when Ibadi was just a heresy and therefore easy to swap to). Take some time, build up a strong kingdom, and go for it. CKII covers a pretty long time period now, I wouldn't worry about running out! If you're really intent on forming the Ibadi caliphate right out of the gate, just use the Ruler Designer to create yourself a Sayyid character. Then boom, just grind up Piety and you've got the Ibadi caliphate with virtually no effort expended!

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Does anybody know if the Pope is able to create kingdom level titles and above?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Does anybody know if the Pope is able to create kingdom level titles and above?

No, Theocracies can't do that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jedit posted:

Becoming Holy Roman Emperor overwrites all your other empire level titles. Working as intended?

Why bother with any other Empire when you are Rome?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Why bother with any other Empire when you are Rome?

1.6 Prestige per month. :colbert:

druthers
Oct 12, 2012

Edison was a dick posted:

I thought that was one of the things the patch notes said they had fixed.

Not yet they haven't

Although the above is only partly down to "just keep stabbing", about 20 of the posts came from the Amalfi posts not getting wiped out when I took over the Byzantine empire.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

1.6 Prestige per month. :colbert:

always have one empire title, so all the kingdoms de jure drift into your gigantic blob imo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

always have one empire title, so all the kingdoms de jure drift into your gigantic blob imo.

Yeah, you're an emperor - you'll already be making GBS threads prestige (as if it mattered anyway). One title is all you need.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The king of Bavaria just called me into a war against someone named "King Wido the Gouty". I may never stop laughing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I think it's just your X biggest vassals based on amount of territory they own, even if they own a pittance compared to you.

Maybe, just maybe, the Ibadi caliphate is intended to be difficult to form? If the Sayyid condition was easy then there would be no reason to ever bother with the territory conditions (though it was probably much easier when Ibadi was just a heresy and therefore easy to swap to). Take some time, build up a strong kingdom, and go for it. CKII covers a pretty long time period now, I wouldn't worry about running out! If you're really intent on forming the Ibadi caliphate right out of the gate, just use the Ruler Designer to create yourself a Sayyid character. Then boom, just grind up Piety and you've got the Ibadi caliphate with virtually no effort expended!
It's an empire whenever I want to bother forming either Mali, Mauretania, Wales, Brittany or Galicia. It's not a matter of strength, so much as it is of distance. (Though if I formed a MR now I would probs be hosed; no matter what I do I can't seem to keep vassals happy and unless I just save a huge warchest or spend a while building up my shoddy lands, it's not gonna go well) I'm not even in diplorange with the Abbs (or their successors rather) anymore, after the capital went somewhere in Baluchistan. I mean, why not have the Mount Atlas holy site also be valid? It's hard enough to get Mirza and the 1000 piety, why did it have to be sayyid and not mirza?

It means that there's no natural way to form it if you're on the other side. It's the same with the Kharjiites; they have pretty much nothing to do with Damascus, Baghdad and Jerusalem, yet you have to control them to create the Caliphate. It's pretty sad when the only way to form it is so unnatural to the game otherwise.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The pope called a really weird crusade in my game:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

TjyvTompa posted:

The pope called a really weird crusade in my game:

By God, if it doesn't exist, I'll form the Kingdom of Prester John myself!!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Strudel Man posted:

Speaking of, it looks like it...still does?

:negative:

I'll have to see what happened there.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Main Paineframe posted:

Problem is that it's not just difficult, it's historically inaccurate. One of the doctrinal differences between the Ibadis and the other sects is that the Ibadis DON'T believe that the caliph has to be a descendant of Muhammad or from the Quraysh tribe, so requiring an Ibadi to have Sayyid in order to form the caliphate just seems wrong.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Speaking of, it looks like it...still does?

Certainly doesn't seem to be anything in there that stops it if the province is part of a norse empire. Which is odd, because I remember such a limitation existing in the past. Was it removed when the region code went in?

The empire prevents Norse breakup was a CK2+ thing, it was never part of the base game.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

EightDeer posted:

The empire prevents Norse breakup was a CK2+ thing, it was never part of the base game.

Nope, it was a base game thing.

The Changelog posted:

- Will not flip culture to Swedish, Danish or Norwegian culture if in a huge Norse empire

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Managing an empire is loving hard. Particularly if you are attempting to achieve anything other than "hold this poo poo together with chewing gum". I like it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Worst event in the game right here:

Thanks for ruining my wolf/demon Genghis Khan, Paradox :colbert:
good thing you can still save-scum to some extent in ironman

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Chickpea Roar posted:

Worst event in the game right here:

Thanks for ruining my wolf/demon Genghis Khan, Paradox :colbert:
good thing you can still save-scum to some extent in ironman

I got the Joan of Arc event during a period of unprecedented peacefulness in my realm. Nothing but a few small scale adventurer claims to pit her against, no decent claims to press :smith:. She educated both my son and grandson into Brilliant Strategists, so it wasn't a complete loss, but I wish she could've been there for a holy war or succession crisis or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why do I still have the sheik title as an Armenian miaphysite count

• Locked thread