Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
So is this good or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Where the gently caress do you find Snow Yams?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Viral Warfare posted:

So is this good or not?

yes

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Go around tilling random dirt. The forest is a good spot and outside the carpenters house.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Crabtree posted:

I got some in the ice caves part of the mines as monster loot.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Neveth posted:

... I have to know how you got this scarecrow.

You can get this rarecrow at the fall festival. Bring a decent amount of cash. (Spoilerin' the rest since it explains the entire event.)

You have to buy it with 800 tickets. You can win 150-200~ tickets a pop by playing the fishing game they have for 50g and getting a decent score. There's a target shooting game but I was terrible at that. You'll also want to do this because there's a stardrop fruit for 2000 tickets. The prize for winning the grange display (9 items presented for quality/variety etc.) is 1000 tickets. So you'll want to attempt that first to save some time. I didn't since I wasn't sure if the event would end. It ends when you walk off the map.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm curious how far people are in the game, compared to how much real time they've played. I'm at Summer 21, Year 1 with 16 hours played. I've restarted after dying in the cave twice now. Yeah, it's a cheat, and I'm not one to always cheat out of death penalties, but the loss of cave levels can really kiss my rear end.

IAmTheRad posted:

In Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar, cooked food is stupidly profitable, and since you can only sell stuff once a week for full price, cooking is a great way to make some inexpensive ingredients into massive riches.

Grand Bazaar is my all-time favorite HM game, if we're not including nostalgia factor for the original or 64.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Revol posted:

I'm curious how far people are in the game, compared to how much real time they've played. I'm at Summer 21, Year 1 with 16 hours played. I've restarted after dying in the cave twice now. Yeah, it's a cheat, and I'm not one to always cheat out of death penalties, but the loss of cave levels can really kiss my rear end.

9 hours played, Summer 3, Year 1. I ended up sleeping through one day entirely because it was 3AM and I needed to sleep, but I had gotten a skill-up the night before.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Pro fishing tip: Sometimes the water in a river or ocean or wherever will be bubbling, try and aim your lure there and you will get hits much quicker than usual.

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 29, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This game :kimchi:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Apparently you can LOSE hearts with people. I'm already running around everywhere all the time, I have to talk to and give gifts to everyone every week, TOO?

:(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PhantomZero posted:

Pro fishing tip: In the rivers there will be bubbling water, try and aim your lure there and you will get hits much quicker than usual.

Those are great. Near instantaneous. I take off my bait and lure for those.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Btw, for those asking about when to plant a rare seed, I would suggest holding out till you get the greenhouse built honestly. Then it'll continuously fruit no matter the season.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Saxophone posted:

Apparently you can LOSE hearts with people. I'm already running around everywhere all the time, I have to talk to and give gifts to everyone every week, TOO?

The only way I've noticed to lose hearts thus far is by giving bad gifts, do they suffer from attrition too? In that case I'm never gonna loving get Shane past 0 hearts. :V

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Saxophone posted:

If the attrition is as bad as Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands, that will be bad. That was -100 FP a day you didn't talk to them. But if you talked to them every day it was +100 FP. Yes, one day can be made up for in the next day, but the bigger issue in Sunshine Islands was that you would need to talk to somebody 4 days in a row in order to give them a present. You miss talking to them on day 4, you need to talk to them for 4 more days in order to give them a gift to get a boost to their friendship points.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Fall 9th, Year 1, 17 hours played. Someone help me I can't stop. Also I have a weird glitch where my game won't launch in fullscreen; I have to mess with the options a bunch on startup.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

IAmTheRad posted:

If the attrition is as bad as Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands, that will be bad. That was -100 FP a day you didn't talk to them. But if you talked to them every day it was +100 FP. Yes, one day can be made up for in the next day, but the bigger issue in Sunshine Islands was that you would need to talk to somebody 4 days in a row in order to give them a present. You miss talking to them on day 4, you need to talk to them for 4 more days in order to give them a gift to get a boost to their friendship points.

Uh it was -100 FP at a 33% chance if you didn't talk with them that day.
:goonsay:
But yeah the friendship system in that game wasn't well thought out.

Anyway I'm the Prairie King, bow down to my arcading skillz. :smug:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

dmboogie posted:

The only way I've noticed to lose hearts thus far is by giving bad gifts, do they suffer from attrition too? In that case I'm never gonna loving get Shane past 0 hearts. :V

Oooo, I didn't consider that. It may very well be that I gave some bad gifts. I didn't realize that would cause a loss.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dmboogie posted:

What does Shane even like? He looks like some kind of cruster so I'm assuming loose change, and demo tapes of bands you've never heard of

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
It's the middle of summer and there was an explosion during the middle of the night but I have no idea where. help please.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

What does Shane even like? He looks like some kind of cruster so I'm assuming loose change, and demo tapes of bands you've never heard of

beer

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Leper Residue posted:

It's the middle of summer and there was an explosion during the middle of the night but I have no idea where. help please.

Look around your farm.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Linus is the best goon. Also can confirm there is friendship attrition; he was at 5 hearts as my first best friend. After the bait scene and sleeping the next day, he was only at 4.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Archenteron posted:

Look around your farm.

Wow, if you hadn't said that I never would have noticed the stupid thing.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

anyone figured out what the little different colored shrine things scattered about are?

and I can't find a single use for fiber

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 29, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Is Twitter the only way to contact the dev? I might take that goons advice and forward my "like/hate" UI suggestion but I don't use Twitter.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Mazz posted:

Is Twitter the only way to contact the dev? I might take that goons advice and forward my "like/hate" UI suggestion but I don't use Twitter.

He posts on the /r/stardewvalley subreddit sporadically.

I think he also posts in the Steam Stardew Valley support forum or whatever.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I restarted after realizing I accidentally went cat instead of dog and I rushed fishing too hard, unlocked the better rod by day five. Just after the egg festival, and I need to decide for my level 5 profession: Fisher (Fish worth 25% more) and Trapper (resources required to craft crab pots reduced). I haven't even tried using a crab pot yet, which should I take? Also, do I get to take the second one at level 10?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So am I to understand at level 5 for each skill you get to pick one of two specializations that give bonuses to it?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

What do these tiles look like?

The worms themselves always spawn in dirt/sand, come in a trio, black/dark brown, and animate themselves in an alternating slack/stiff.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 29, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
How long does it take to brew Pale Ale? I'm trying to figure out a good balance between hops and wheat.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

So am I to understand at level 5 for each skill you get to pick one of two specializations that give bonuses to it?

Correct.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

Linus is the best goon. Also can confirm there is friendship attrition; he was at 5 hearts as my first best friend. After the bait scene and sleeping the next day, he was only at 4.

No way. :( With the complicated schedules, how picky they are with gifts and now this.. I'm probably never going to make a single friend in this game.

...until modding of course.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I swear to god I clicked silo but this bitch built a well instead

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Carp are supposed to be in the lake, right? I've been having the goddamnedest time catching one, do they require any specific rod or bait?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I'm probably never going to make a single friend in this game.

Art imitates life

:smith:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Wait you're suppose to be able to choose a skill at 5? I didn't get to, it just gave me trapping at fishing 5.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

So can you get married in co-op with your multiplayer person or can you just pretend you're married and then both individually court someone

Because that sounds like great farm drama right there

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

LordSloth posted:

I restarted after realizing I accidentally went cat instead of dog and I rushed fishing too hard, unlocked the better rod by day five. Just after the egg festival, and I need to decide for my level 5 profession: Fisher (Fish worth 25% more) and Trapper (resources required to craft crab pots reduced). I haven't even tried using a crab pot yet, which should I take? Also, do I get to take the second one at level 10?

Here's how I thought it out.

Crab Pots are fairly cheap to make anyway, just asking 40 wood/2 iron. And by the time you want more then 1-2 Crab Pots, you should have so much wood/iron anyway, it won't matter.

Some fish though are preeeeety good to sell, and later on, you'll have fishing days, where you basically just don't want to go into the mine/deal with your farm, so it's a quick/free income boost. Also it applies to the coral/sea things on the beach, which are EASY loving MONEY, so again, free income.

During the Summer, if you go to the beach biweekly with that perk, you can easily make 10kish a week just off grabbing the corals. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just hit summer and all my crops turned brown. Is there no salvaging anything or am I going to have to salt the earth

also what season can I plant trees (maple seeds)?