Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

What makes the Sessions endorsement so important? Is he a huge deal to the far right?

Yeah, he's emblematic of Real Conservatism. Like a Ted Cruz who isn't (as) hated by his colleagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Just a heads up: a little bird told me that Dr. Ben Carson will be making a guest appearance in tonight's Fourth Annual On Cinema At The Cinema Oscars Special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydm7Z_I_8qE

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

What makes the Sessions endorsement so important? Is he a huge deal to the far right?

He is a top-5 Senator on just about every conservative site that scores them on their votes and positions, he's by far the #1 Senator on immigration, he's a multi-term guy who is well liked by his colleagues on both sides of the aisle, and Cruz namedrops him in almost every speech "standing side by side with Sessions" to beat the Gang of 8 bill.

Basically this endorsement is a fatal blow to whatever is left of the Cruz campaign and a major signal to other conservatives in Washington and in state governors offices that if Sessions believes Trump is a conservative who can be trusted, so can you. Very similar to how Christie was a signal to moderate GOP types.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kurt_Cobain posted:

This one been posted yet? I could watch it all day

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/703720841536622592

Quoting again just because.

Powercrazy posted:

That's my prediction. Trump creates the new GOP, but they look nothing like the existing one. Racism, religion, free-trade, zero/low taxes. No longer a thing. What do they become?

...I honestly don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being even grosser than the current GOP. Hopefully it'll get less votes and act as an excellent distraction until redistricting in 2020.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Prof. Lurker posted:

Marcos had some big rallies in Virginia over the weekend (~9000) and is getting some heavy media attention at the expense of Cruz. Plus there's a lack of polls since the debate where all hell broke loose.

Still hope he gets shutout Tuesday though. It would be entertaining.

According to google he's trending heavily in Virginia as well. Maybe he'll pull it out, we won't know until Tuesday night!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

uncurable mlady posted:

The reports out of SC seem to indicate that he had a ridiculously effective campaign there, so who knows. I'd honestly be willing to believe that people didn't take it seriously enough to really put in the time and see what was going on, or that the anecdotes about how much of a mess it was were leaked by Trump staff itself. I mean, Trump isn't exactly holding conference calls with his donors to talk up how great his organization and internals are, so how would we know what sort of organization was there?

I mean, I totally remember the Iowa story about the 9/11 truther for trump and poo poo but it really seems like Iowa was the exception, and he still managed a top-3 finish there.

Now that's something interesting to think about. Trump is a shrewd businessman and, no matter how much you think the market would have outperformed his 1999 inheritance or whatever, you don't get to become that rich without knowing how to screw people on deals. Feigning incompetence and disarray gets competitors to not take you seriously ...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Come Wednesday I expect to be posting some of my old quotes and :smug:ing pretty hard.

It's been tough being a guy predicting Trump since August and getting called a naive fool who is getting suckered by a flavor of a month for the past eight months, I deserve a day of gloating.

Also, yes, Hillary Clinton had better be taking this threat deadly seriously. This race is totally winnable for the Democrats, but only if they go negative hard and constantly from now until November.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
In my state/region, it always comes down to "who has the (R) after their name?" Nothing is going to touch Donald Trump in the Mountain West - good thing we don't have many electoral votes.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Joementum posted:

It was pointed out to me after I posted the article about Trump's SC ground game that the source for that report was a single Trump staffer who, ya know, might have reason to exaggerate.

I hadn't noticed that, hrm.

Well, gently caress it, who knows. Maybe Donald just proves that you can be a loud obnoxious rear end in a top hat and go far in politics.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
God, Rubio on some show this morning. What an assmunch. He was going on and on how Trump isn't a Republican, and he has tricked everyone, etc. The interviewer asked him since he isn't a Republican, does that mean he wont keep his pledge to vote for him when he wins the nomination? HE WONT BE NOMINATED. But will you? Because if he isn't a conservative, why would.. HE WONT BE NOMINATED.

loving lohl.

These interviewers better be replaying these HE ISNT A REPUBLICAN when Trump wins the nomination when Rubio is backing him looking like an insufferable rear end.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 18, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

trump's unfavorables were sky high within the GOP when he announced and he reversed them in the span of like two months, also his disapproval rate with the general public is barely higher than hillary's

unfavorables are not set in stone and it's dumb to act like pointing them out is some kind of masterstroke

His favorables with the electorate as a whole haven't improved and may have gone backwards though which is a concerning sign - he started with terrible favorable and has made them even worse to secure the GOP primary electorate.

Walking it back is going to be very hard. Of course if Trump is the nominee all things are unknown, but not exactly plausible.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Can't believe how much I want to see Trump win the primary, despite that fact that he's a demagogue and fascist. I like seeing the loathsome Republican establishment lose more than seeing one monster lose.

Rubio is especially unlikable... never been this pumped for a Super Tuesday....

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

CubsWoo posted:

He is a top-5 Senator on just about every conservative site that scores them on their votes and positions, he's by far the #1 Senator on immigration, he's a multi-term guy who is well liked by his colleagues on both sides of the aisle, and Cruz namedrops him in almost every speech "standing side by side with Sessions" to beat the Gang of 8 bill.

Basically this endorsement is a fatal blow to whatever is left of the Cruz campaign and a major signal to other conservatives in Washington and in state governors offices that if Sessions believes Trump is a conservative who can be trusted, so can you. Very similar to how Christie was a signal to moderate GOP types.

They create a fantastic range of endorsements, don't they? Very conservative senator from Alabama and moderate governor of New Jersey.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Philthy posted:

God, Rubio on some show this morning. What an assmunch. He was going on and on how Trump isn't a Republican, and he has tricked everyone, etc. The interviewer asked him since he isn't a Republican, does that mean he wont keep his pledge to vote for him when he wins the nomination? HE WONT BE NOMINATED. But will you? Because if he isn't a conservative, why would.. HE WONT BE NOMINATED.

loving lohl.

One thing I do like is that public perception has swung on Rubio ever since his programmers decided Rubio needed to go after Trump. Before Trump, he was your generic empty suit politician with the added benefit of being young and idealistic. Now he comes off as a nasty, petulant, whiny person. Trump's counterattacks aren't helping much either!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
personally I think America needs to go in the path of incremental regressive accelerationism

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
So, since the rules changes to bind more delegates after the Ron Paul shenanigans last cycle, does anyone have a count of how many unbound delegates are still in existence?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
WALL.

Wall.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Patter Song posted:

Come Wednesday I expect to be posting some of my old quotes and :smug:ing pretty hard.

It's been tough being a guy predicting Trump since August and getting called a naive fool who is getting suckered by a flavor of a month for the past eight months, I deserve a day of gloating.

Also, yes, Hillary Clinton had better be taking this threat deadly seriously. This race is totally winnable for the Democrats, but only if they go negative hard and constantly from now until November.

You've been consistent, Iowa shook my resolve in a bright golden future.

But, as this cycle has proven, anything can happen. For all we know Rubio wins Virginia, and Minnesota, Cruz takes Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansa, or Trump gets assassinated.

Anything can happen!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUJzj4DXHYE

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

H5N1 posted:

Okay, bitches, you can't say I haven't warned you or that the candidate hasn't either -- any injuries you sustain on Super Tuesday will be your own drat fault if you haven't buckled up...for Kasich!

I am not excited for this redux! campaign!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's not a dealbreaker/maker but it is one more nail in the coffin for Rubio. same for Christie

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CubsWoo posted:

So it neuters any argument about his conservativeness? drat that eradicates a major Rubio attack line too.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Patter Song posted:

this is not a good idea. races that are heavily negative on both sides depress turnout. she needs to have a strong, consistent positive message of how she will bring jobs back and create economic recovery.

one thing this primary has showed us is that there are a lot of people who are looking for an excuse not to vote for trump. over and over you see people saying "well, i don't agree with his comments about [insert topic] but he's the only one who can get us out of this." there's the core base that eats up all the poo poo he says about The Mexicans but that's, like, 25-30% of the republican party. as his "ceiling" climbs, we see a lot of people shrugging and saying "well, i don't like what he says about muslims, but i think he can bring back jobs." people who actually want to hear about how mexicans are ruining this country have been on the trump train from the start and the recent increases in support he's been getting reflect more "moderate" republicans jumping on, largely for economic reasons.

i mean, look at cruz and rubio. they so transparently don't have the answers and can't get us out of this that the only people supporting them are the ones who are really, truly too disgusted with trump to vote for him. i mean, at this point it's not like anyone hasn't heard of him or heard what he's saying. it's not like people who were super offended about the muslim ban when he floated it aren't offended now, they just see that there's no alternative to trump in their party.

negativity against trump will be targeted, narrow, and focused on driving/depressing turnout in key demographic areas. it will also largely come through proxies. hillary's "negativity" is likely to be straightforward questioning of trump's competence and honesty; there's ample evidence of his lack of both, and plenty of great material for the general.

it's great she's doing oppo research but if she's not focus grouping ads in ohio and pennsylvania now (i suspect she is, quietly, or will be soon) then she should be.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

That's my prediction. Trump creates the new GOP, but they look nothing like the existing one. Racism, religion, free-trade, zero/low taxes. No longer a thing. What do they become?

I don't think the ideological space for a right-wing populist party is nearly as small as you think, I think a party which supports welfare entitlements and protectionism while being generally nativist might be even more competitive than the current movement conservatism-based party. Thing is the donors and the ideologues who run the GOP won't be willing to turn it into such a party

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
This is the Best Thread. All my other subscribed threads are starting to grow weeds.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Not sure if Huffpost Pollster is a good source, but since it combines a bunch of polls and updates regularly I assume it's decent:

According to an update 3 hours ago, Trump has gone from 37% to 40% nationally!!! This might suggest the debate didn't have much of an impact, or if anything, a positive one for Trump.

Cruz is at 19.3% and Rubio is behind at 17.5%.

Carson/Kasich are neck and neck at 8%...

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

one thing this primary has showed us is that there are a lot of people who are looking for an excuse not to vote for trump. over and over you see people saying "well, i don't agree with his comments about [insert topic] but he's the only one who can get us out of this." there's the core base that eats up all the poo poo he says about The Mexicans but that's, like, 25-30% of the republican party. as his "ceiling" climbs, we see a lot of people shrugging and saying "well, i don't like what he says about muslims, but i think he can bring back jobs." people who actually want to hear about how mexicans are ruining this country have been on the trump train from the start and the recent increases in support he's been getting reflect more "moderate" republicans jumping on, largely for economic reasons.

There is one very major thing that Hillary can't possibly position herself as superior to Trump on, though -- coming into the government as an outsider specifically to scour corruption and backroom networking and the establishment clean from the marble walls. The Clintons are the establishment.

Look how thoroughly Trump destroyed and humiliated the Bush family. Jeb barely put up any resistance, and W and HW didn't even try to touch him.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

squidgee posted:

#punctuatedequilibirum

just fyi this did not go unappreciated

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Brannock posted:

There is one very major thing that Hillary can't possibly position herself as superior to Trump on, though -- coming into the government as an outsider specifically to scour corruption and backroom networking and the establishment clean from the marble walls. The Clintons are the establishment.

Look how thoroughly Trump destroyed and humiliated the Bush family. Jeb barely put up any resistance, and W and HW didn't even try to touch him.

I fully expect Trump to go full Occupy Wallstreet during the GE and everyone will be inexplicably amazed when a decent chunk of Sanders supporters cross over to Trump.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Yeah it's Kristol but confirming what people have been suggesting

https://www.twitter.com/BillKristol/status/704119893269082114

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Fister posted:

I fully expect Trump to go full Occupy Wallstreet during the GE and everyone will be inexplicably amazed when a decent chunk of Sanders supporters cross over to Trump.

Few people will be surprised by white racists crossing over to Trump.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

fishmech posted:

Few people will be surprised by white racists crossing over to Trump.

I don't think Bill and Hillary will endorse Trump that's absurd :smug:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Brannock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zohar posted:

Yeah it's Kristol but confirming what people have been suggesting

https://www.twitter.com/BillKristol/status/704119893269082114

I'm going to be busy Thursday and won't be able to watch. Glad to know I won't miss anything at the debate if it's just Rubio, Cruz, Carson, and Kasich arguing over who is the biggest loser.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I don't think Trump is a white supremacist

however I think some of his supporters are white supremacists, and many more harbor significant racist attitudes

you can now feel free to call me an annoying anti-racist-online or whatever

I think many ethnic minorities harbor sexist and homophobic attitudes. Do you think that minority voters should therefore be made pariahs and their concerns ignored?

I don't think so.

:cheeky:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

One thing I do like is that public perception has swung on Rubio ever since his programmers decided Rubio needed to go after Trump. Before Trump, he was your generic empty suit politician with the added benefit of being young and idealistic. Now he comes off as a nasty, petulant, whiny person. Trump's counterattacks aren't helping much either!

Not sure how Trump couldn't win it at this point. Screaming that everyones been tricked only pisses off those same supporters who have no reason to back you even if he gets caught owning 5,000 abortion clinics worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Philthy posted:

Not sure how Trump couldn't win it at this point. Screaming that everyones been tricked only pisses off those same supporters who have no reason to back you even if he gets caught owning 5,000 abortion clinics worldwide.

in that situation trump supporters wouldn't defect, they'd just be less likely to vote. campaigning is arguably more about depressing the other guy's turnout than turning them into your supporters

• Locked thread