Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

General question! If a heel never puts over a face, but remains entertaining in terms of promos and character and workrate, are they to you a good heel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

General question! If a heel never puts over a face, but remains entertaining in terms of promos and character and workrate, are they to you a good heel?

You're a good heel in a bad story.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Perry Normal posted:

You're a good heel in a bad story.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Gavok posted:

I'm thinking of writing a list article on the worst Wrestlemania moments ever. There are a lot of easy/big ones in there like Hogan winning the title at WM9, the Mr. T boxing match, 18 seconds, Goldberg/Lesnar, Brock landing on his head, Giant Gonzalez having a match, etc.

What are some of the less talked about dumb moments in Wrestlemania that stick out to you? Off the top of my head:

- The time when an interviewer noticed Mary Tyler Moore in the crowd and tried to interview her and it got super awkward as she tried to pretend she gave a poo poo about anything. WM6 I think.
- The endless WM7 segment about instant replay that was only shown in the original airing because of how bad it was.
- Hacksaw Jim Duggan's gigantic booger (note: may actually be one of the best Wrestlemania moments).
- John Morrison committing career suicide by refusing to hug Snooki.
- Rick Rude vs. Jake Roberts killing all of WM4's momentum in one fell swoop.

WMX's repeated segments with fake Bill Clinton treated as actual Bill Clinton.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Orton and Triple H having the main event of Wrestlemania 25 and having it be a pure stinky boring awful slogfest after Michaels/Undertaker was amazing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know where it comes from...so? It's a good finisher because he's saying "This is how we kick rear end in Jersey." Absolutely nothing about the fact that it's an album title makes it a good finisher.

The '68 Comeback Special, on the other hand...

Gavok posted:

Yeah, that was a very bad match by two guys who had had some very good matches.

It's weird that if you looked at Roberts' Meltzer snowflakes you'd think he must have been some mediocre 80s monster heel.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Yes, you can't tell a wrestler to go out there and be less interesting. Not their fault if everyone else involved isn't holding up their end. Unless the heel is refusing to actually play the heel and is deliberately getting himself over as a face; that's bad.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Perry Normal posted:

Hulk calling Yoko "the jap" at WM 9

I could probably just have an entry on early Wrestlemania Asian racism. There's "The Jap," Paul Orndorff (the face) taunting Mr. Fuji by stretching his own eyes sideways and that time Regis interviewed Tenryu by saying "Toyota! Honda! Godzilla!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I know where it comes from...so? It's a good finisher because he's saying "This is how we kick rear end in Jersey." Absolutely nothing about the fact that it's an album title makes it a good finisher.

you called it "Ashbury Park" :ssh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I noticed some other misspelled words in this thread; please make sure to respond to them all with corrective images and emoticons.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rotinaj posted:

Orton and Triple H having the main event of Wrestlemania 25 and having it be a pure stinky boring awful slogfest after Michaels/Undertaker was amazing.

Not only that, making a hugely personal grudge feud "title changes hands on a DQ" was a colossal heat-killing mistake on its own. That poo poo's No DQ all the day. Plus the finish was rushed for time and you can clearly hear the ref saying "one minute" before the end.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Gavok posted:

I could probably just have an entry on early Wrestlemania Asian racism. There's "The Jap," Paul Orndorff (the face) taunting Mr. Fuji by stretching his own eyes sideways and that time Regis interviewed Tenryu by saying "Toyota! Honda! Godzilla!"

Or the many, many times Monsoon would say "he Pearl Harbored him!" on commentary. Oh, that time on WM9 when they planted stereotypical Japanese tourists in the crowd to interview.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, you can't tell a wrestler to go out there and be less interesting. Not their fault if everyone else involved isn't holding up their end. Unless the heel is refusing to actually play the heel and is deliberately getting himself over as a face; that's bad.

Okay. Let's take it a bit further: should a heel put over a face, or at what point does a heel's overness cease to be interesting? I'm looking for the heel watermark; I think a heel can be super over, but there comes a point when a heel needs a face; a face needs a foil, every rose has its thorn.

Let's pick on Steph; recently, in the Age of Authority, she never puts over a face. Is she a good or bad heel? If the person she is involved with can't fight back, is the heel doing her job? She slaps Brie, Roman.

Is Steph doing a good job as a heel? She gets herself over, but she isn't making stars. She's getting the Authority over, but Roman isn't exactly super over as a face, and Brie is retiring.

I'd go even further and ask what Steph adds to RAW, but I'd become circular like,

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

when do NXT tickets at full sail usually go on sale?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

Or the many, many times Monsoon would say "he Pearl Harbored him!" on commentary. Oh, that time on WM9 when they planted stereotypical Japanese tourists in the crowd to interview.
Basically, there's a reason Mr. Fuji or Sonny Onoo won Meltzer's Worst Manager award for most of its history.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The voters were racist?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Okay. Let's take it a bit further: should a heel put over a face, or at what point does a heel's overness cease to be interesting? I'm looking for the heel watermark; I think a heel can be super over, but there comes a point when a heel needs a face; a face needs a foil, every rose has its thorn.

Let's pick on Steph; recently, in the Age of Authority, she never puts over a face. Is she a good or bad heel? If the person she is involved with can't fight back, is the heel doing her job? She slaps Brie, Roman.

Is Steph doing a good job as a heel? She gets herself over, but she isn't making stars. She's getting the Authority over, but Roman isn't exactly super over as a face, and Brie is retiring.

I'd go even further and ask what Steph adds to RAW, but I'd become circular like,

I go back to my original answer - she's a good heel in a bad story. It's just that in this case, the heel is the one who's actually writing the dumb story that doesn't get anyone over or use her heel heat for any useful purpose. The problem isn't Steph as a heel, per say, it's Steph/Vince/Trips as writers/bookers.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The prob is steph can't really get any kind of physical comeuppance which is like the basis of all professional wrestling. I think wrestling would be a lot more entertaining in someone beat the poo poo out of Steph in a segment. Let Brock give her a couple germans and you got yourself a lot of happy viewers.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They had their best shot at that at Wrestlemania when Steph beat Rock over the head with that very fact that no one could even touch her, so Rock got Ronda Rousey out of the crowd. And then Steph ran away and there was no particular payoff there either.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vickie threw her in a kiddie pool of poo poo

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Is Steph a good heel right now, or could she vanish off TV?

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

oldpainless posted:

The prob is steph can't really get any kind of physical comeuppance which is like the basis of all professional wrestling. I think wrestling would be a lot more entertaining in someone beat the poo poo out of Steph in a segment. Let Brock give her a couple germans and you got yourself a lot of happy viewers.

there's been plenty of heel managers who rarely got in any physical confrontation, because the point is that the person they manage gets both the heel heat and the actual physical comeuppance - Triple H getting his poo poo kicked in whenever he has a match, authority-sponsored guys like Orton and Sheamus getting theirs on a regular basis

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The time is right for a Weasel Suit Match. Only by forcible furry cosplay can the Authority receive their comeuppance.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

VileLL posted:

there's been plenty of heel managers who rarely got in any physical confrontation, because the point is that the person they manage gets both the heel heat and the actual physical comeuppance - Triple H getting his poo poo kicked in whenever he has a match, authority-sponsored guys like Orton and Sheamus getting theirs on a regular basis

I'll concede this is true but i think you're forgetting how much I like to see man on woman violence

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
The issue is that even when the Authority's people lose, they don't really care that much. Wrestling is a lot about theatrics and seeing a heel respond to their plan being foiled by going "Welp" is unsatisfying.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oldpainless posted:

OR, you know, don't have a meat golem beat her up and instead leave it to one of the women in the division they've been trying and failing to take seriously.

Sasha breaking the gently caress out of Stephanie would be amazing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Basically, there's a reason Mr. Fuji or Sonny Onoo won Meltzer's Worst Manager award for most of its history.

People were jealous that Sonny popularized the selfie.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

OR, you know, don't have a meat golem beat her up and instead leave it to one of the women in the division they've been trying and failing to take seriously.

Sasha breaking the gently caress out of Stephanie would be amazing.

Kharma should return and flick her head off, and kill her basically, making her blade, a total squash.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

People were jealous that Sonny popularized the selfie.

https://twitter.com/FO_VVerhei/status/702320223261601792

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't even really get the invention of the selfie thing cause people were taking pictures of themselves like that since handheld cameras and especially polaroids became widely available

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Don't worry folks. No one around here is any good but Steph will get her comeuppance from somebody who immediately leaves afterward, to make money for themselves and/or a company competing for a small portion of the same audience. That's right, I'm talking about Roller Derby star Roly Mary Mother of Quad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't even really get the invention of the selfie thing cause people were taking pictures of themselves like that since handheld cameras and especially polaroids became widely available

Ignore Vinny V for stealing my scoop. he jumped on the Nitro watching bandwagon very late. He didn't invent it, he popularized it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

I'm thinking of writing a list article on the worst Wrestlemania moments ever. There are a lot of easy/big ones in there like Hogan winning the title at WM9, the Mr. T boxing match, 18 seconds, Goldberg/Lesnar, Brock landing on his head, Giant Gonzalez having a match, etc.

What are some of the less talked about dumb moments in Wrestlemania that stick out to you? Off the top of my head:

- The time when an interviewer noticed Mary Tyler Moore in the crowd and tried to interview her and it got super awkward as she tried to pretend she gave a poo poo about anything. WM6 I think.
- The endless WM7 segment about instant replay that was only shown in the original airing because of how bad it was.
- Hacksaw Jim Duggan's gigantic booger (note: may actually be one of the best Wrestlemania moments).
- John Morrison committing career suicide by refusing to hug Snooki.

The Miller Lite Girls at WM19
Saliva & Limp Bizkit performing
Rey v Orton v Angle getting a ton of time cut off so they could run a lingerie pillow fight
WM11's opening video going over the illustrious history of celebrities at WM and focusing most of the show around it (That said there understandably wasn't a draw on the card anyway)
Roddy Piper and Morton Downey Jr.'s 3 hour segment

SG Bamboo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6XpVM5lBU

In the related videos to the KotR video, with both Shane and Kurt talking through the spots. Shows both times the glass didn't break, as well as the finish

This is really sick in the lens of 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

limp bizkit was good

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Does anyone remember which promotion had a match where there was a knife fight sequence that involved playing "Beat It" over the speakers while the wrestlers re-enacted that video scene?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mentioning WM11 reminds me of one thing that always irked me. Diesel vs. Michaels was an otherwise okay title match, but they completely hosed up the spot where Michaels was supposed to be slingshotted into the exposed turnbuckle. Instead, he landed on the second turnbuckle (which was padded) and it made Sid's appearance completely pointless since did absolutely nothing else.

Also, I'm counting Wrestlemania for NES as a terrible Wrestlemania moment based on technicality. Wrestlemania: The Album too.

(Who will survive?!)

Cory Lidle posted:

Does anyone remember which promotion had a match where there was a knife fight sequence that involved playing "Beat It" over the speakers while the wrestlers re-enacted that video scene?

AWS. It was Human Tornado vs. Scorpio Sky.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

sounds like something the osirian portal would've done

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Found it! I should've started on YouTube, Google wasn't very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMPw1ov_9KM

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gavok posted:

Wrestlemania: The Album too.

(Who will survive?!)

This actually reminds me of a question!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSbyk0VReyo&t=84s
Does anybody know what they were censoring here? It's a really odd cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Lady Naga posted:

This actually reminds me of a question!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSbyk0VReyo&t=84s
Does anybody know what they were censoring here? It's a really odd cut.

I listened a few times but probably WWF? EDIT: Wait do you mean audio or video cut?