Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

StyleFresh posted:

ConcernedApe posted this on /r/stardewvalley a few hours ago, so patch incoming:

Nice.

Another question - do the normal villagers have heart events like the people you can marry? I know I got a cutscene with Pierre being threatened by the Joja prick after I had gotten two hearts with him, but I dunno if that was just a plot thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Make sure you plant many tree seeds guys. They don't actually grow in winter and you'll run out of wood to harvest around the map and in your yard. And wood/coal are a huge limiting factor in my experience when it comes to crafting equipment. I have 100+ of each type of nugget (300+ gold), 8 iridium, and I'm down to 1.2k wood, 8 coal with no trees anywhere except the hard woods that respawn every day. You can farm coal fast at around 40 in the mines, but that gets repetitive and pointless when you have more iron than you'll ever be able to use.

Specialty saplings do grow in winter, on the positive. I planted some fruit trees for spring during the winter and they grew like normal. You can also grow the winter wild seeds and turn the grape things into wine or jam or whatever.

While I'm here, I still haven't unlocked the sewers, been to the desert, or been friends with anyone. So I have many things left to do and I'm mostly using this play through as a learning experience I guess. I'm also going to plant 526 potato crops as soon as spring rolls around.

Crab pot fish count as fish for the fertilizer recipe. They also sell for pretty much nothing.

At fishing 5 if you pick trapper for fishing it raises the price of the pot instead of decreasing. Sort of. It makes the pot take 2 copper bars instead of 1 iron bar. I think it reduces the wood cost so it's a wash, but it takes the same time to farm 1 iron bar as it does 1 copper bar, and on the copper levels nothing of value is actually there or dropping besides copper while on the iron level you can get a decent amount of coal. I am pretty disappointed in that choice. Most of the choices seem to have one superior option.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 29, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Zoe posted:

I have this problem too. It was a bug that was supposedly fixed in the first patch but I still can't plant them. I was gonna clearcut my farm and plant new trees in neat little rows, too. :(

How much of a threat are crows btw? Planting extensive fields for the first time, and the amount of scarecrows I've been putting up is a little silly.

You have to plant tree seeds in untilled earth, this was messing me up for a month as well.

dmboogie posted:

Nice.

Another question - do the normal villagers have heart events like the people you can marry? I know I got a cutscene with Pierre being threatened by the Joja prick after I had gotten two hearts with him, but I dunno if that was just a plot thing.

I got the Joja scene with either no or one heart on Pierre, so I think that was just an event event.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Met posted:

Meteorite is the gold pick axe.

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What's the best way to keep my animals fed? I tried planting grass in their fenced in area but it seems to spread pretty slowly and they eat it faster than it spreads.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
How does one unlock the Community Center and how in the world do you find events, do you just stalk a npc after you get a heart or two all day until you stumble onto one?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I get the mines to open? Also I need a furnace

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

frank.club posted:

Play the game for more than an hour.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

GodFish posted:

You have to plant tree seeds in untilled earth, this was messing me up for a month as well.

I got the Joja scene with either no or one heart on Pierre, so I think that was just an event event.

There's a scene where the Joja guy hands out 50% coupons, and another where he threatens Pierre. The 50% coupon one is just flavor. The threatening one is a heart scene.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

frank.club posted:

The mines should open up on Day 5, and after you get in there you should be given the furnace blueprint on Day 6.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I had a scene where I met the hobo and we did stuff in his tent. It was fun.

Also, is there anything you can do with corn? It's kinda crap if you sell it by itself.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tired Moritz posted:

I had a scene where I met the hobo and we did stuff in his tent. It was fun.

Also, is there anything you can do with corn? It's kinda crap if you sell it by itself.
If you turn it into seeds you can sell it for more. You can also pickle it. Not sure what else you can do with it but I do agree it's a really underwhelming crop and me investing all my money into it is why I had a slow summer 1. At least near the end of the fall I started processing the corn into seeds so I have around 120 free seed packets for it to plant next year in the summer if I want. But there are no harvester robots in this game as far as I know, so I am not even sure if a crop with that low return is worth my time.

This is compounded by sprinkled crops being pre-watered so you can pick+plant at the same time if you pick while a seed packet is out on your hotbar. The fertilizer also doesn't go away between crops unless seasons change.

edit: vvv If tortillas count as artisan that's not bad with the +50% trait, but I don't know if they do. Corn is 50g? or something on itsown.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 29, 2016

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Turn it into tortillas. 75g per tortilla, so 2 crops makes your money back.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Khorne posted:

If you turn it into seeds you can sell it for more. You can also pickle it. Not sure what else you can do with it but I do agree it's a really underwhelming crop and me investing all my money into it is why I had a slow summer 1. At least near the end of the fall I started processing the corn into seeds so I have around 120 free seed packets for it to plant next year in the summer if I want. But there are no harvester robots in this game as far as I know, so I am not even sure if a crop with that low return is worth my time.

You don't really need slave gnomes in this one due to an interruptable picking animation and the ability to just hold the button down and harvest everything at once while you walk through

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eopia posted:

The mines should open up on Day 5, and after you get in there you should be given the furnace blueprint on Day 6.

I'm on day 22 lol. Where are the mines then?

E: nvm found em

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I was going to say open up your map with M and take a look around. Like there's a sweet wizard tower you might have missed too.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It's funny how anal people are about starting over/getting everything right the first time. I'm just trying to imagine people playing HM64 with basically no internet guides at the time, and everyone just loving everything up and never knowing what we missed.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

It's funny how anal people are about starting over/getting everything right the first time. I'm just trying to imagine people playing HM64 with basically no internet guides at the time, and everyone just loving everything up and never knowing what we missed.

There is also literally no reason to restart.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I think it's because people remember HM64 and the time limits and how easy it was to gently caress things up. ConcernedApe has been clear that there's no time limit, no hurry, and that it's impossible to gently caress anything up. But it's built in by now.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Tequila Sunrise posted:

A lot of knowledge transferred forward from HM snes.

There's also a difference between "oh I gave someone a gift they don't like" and "I've been permanently locked into a skill that changes the endgame entirely"

Each day in harvest moon 64 takes five minutes (until you get a greenhouse) , each day in this is ten to fifteen.

You can finish a whole 9 season run reasonably well in hm64 before most people will see the end of spring 2 in stardew or another modern farm game. So yeah, getting it right can be a little important if you have to wait 30 hours to see a season locked content thing again.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'm just trying to imagine people playing HM64 with basically no internet guides at the time, and everyone just loving everything up and never knowing what we missed.

This is actually a big part of what I'm loving about this. I pretty much never jump into a game day one, so it's been a lot of fun and a very different experience just figuring out things as I go along and watching everybody else do the same.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 14, 2017

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to be single for the dance :(

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Jesto posted:

Gave Haley flowers twice a week, gave her a present on her birthday, talked to her every time I saw her in town. 3 hearts with her.

Flower Festival, "Dance with me?"

"Ew, no."

:what: She's willing to let me in her bedroom but not dance? I get the feeling her 0 heart response is the same as her 3 heart response. That sucks.

That's what you get for picking the worst character in the game

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gibbo posted:

You don't really need slave gnomes in this one due to an interruptable picking animation and the ability to just hold the button down and harvest everything at once while you walk through

:aaaaa:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 14, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Seriously Marnie is never around to buy from, she's often in her house but usually staring at the loving microwave.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well when you're seeing the mayor on the sly you don't need to worry about being competent or present at your job! :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my god the kitchen upgrade is so expensive

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Thanks for answering my earlier question, went Fisher perk.

Now for a really idiotic question: is there a way to manually save? I've only seen the autosaves at the start of each day, but theres been a couple times I've wanted to shut down my PC w/o losing all my progress or prematurely ending the day. Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

was kind of disappointed you can't make corn jelly

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

frank.club posted:

Oh my god the kitchen upgrade is so expensive

Yep, that was petty great.

"Oh look, I have mail!"

quote:

Hi [PlayerName]!
Sorry I made fun of your lovely house. It is pretty poo poo though. Fortunately I can sell you some pretty neat stuff to make your house less lovely. Just bring me some money! And some wood! And some stone! And then we'll build you a Kitchen! That'd be pretty sweet, right!?

You can finally eat something isn't acorns, pinwheel seeds, and pinecones mashed together.

Seriously, I think bears eat that to stop themselves up for hibernation. That can't possibly be good for you.

Anyway, stop by soon! <3

Then you go to her house and it's 10,000 freaking bucks.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Jesto posted:

She's rich (I think?) and I need someone to bankroll my farm. Those coops aren't going to pay for themselves.

Have you been through Abigail's house yet? One room looks like its made out of gold.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

When you get a marriage candidate up to 8 hearts, Pierre starts selling a Bouquet in his shop that allows you to start dating. Seems they accept it at 8 hearts too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

Have you been through Abigail's house yet? One room looks like its made out of gold.

Yeah but Abi doesn't own any of that, it's her mother. She runs an exercise cult with the other mothers.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What's the loving point of the copper pickax if it won't even let me break the big rocks in my south yard or the weird rock blocking the side path at the mine entrance or the loving meteorite stuck in my field

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Just got a Neptune's Glaive from an anchovy fishing treasure in Spring, year 1.

Bwuh. Looks like this will last a while...

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How substantially does a coop increase profit

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
:lol: Did anybody pick this one

frank.club posted:

How substantially does a coop increase profit

Not very until you upgrade it a couple of times, and at that point you're so far in the hole it takes ages for the new animals to pull you back out of it.

Ducks are cute though so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Will my Hops survive the season change or does that kill literally everything. I should have planted way more than the 5 I did, they are like a super plant. Sprout every day and heal/energize a bunch so it's all you need to spelunk that day or sell them for a shitload.

Also can you both fertilize and water-retainer thing one plot or do you have to pick one

Also also it takes way to long to smelt ore. I ended up just putting an entire row of forges down to speed up the fires of industry

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 29, 2016