Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Silento posted:

Or largely uncovered, if you're Nami.
________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Cloks posted:

He has a tendency to get tied up.

Maybe he likes it :wink:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cloks posted:

He has a tendency to get tied up.

I guess you could say he's chained up by his ties to people!!!!!

Good job Zep that was way better than your first attempt.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
All these attempts at puns seem pretty fishy to me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Read the last few chapters, weird that Zou owes allegiance to a mere daimyo of an isolationist country

Not that weird. This is One Piece. Pretty much everyone has a life-debt to everyone else because their ancestors were totally wonderful and badass to each other.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Also lol if you think Vivi aint making an appearance at Reverie as a representative and possibly now-ruler of one of the several kingdoms the Strawhats have saved.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crazyeyes posted:

Also lol if you think Vivi aint making an appearance at Reverie as a representative and possibly now-ruler of one of the several kingdoms the Strawhats have saved.

Yeah, that's pretty much how that will pay off.

I wonder if Oda planned out Vivi's role and relationship to the Straw Hats in this way that far ahead (ie since Alabasta)?

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Rodyle posted:

Read the last few chapters, weird that Zou owes allegiance to a mere daimyo of an isolationist country

I thought the same, had me thinking Wano is more powerful than the World Government lets on

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

All the places with Poneglyphs seem to be unallied with the World Government/Nobles. Even Alabasta while a part of the World Government had their King decline becoming a World Noble. And Fishman Island only recently joining them.

Kild fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 29, 2016

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Jinbei isn't technically a member yet, but there's no way it won't happen.

I'm still holding out hope that Oda is going for some kind of curveball twist just because he's stalling with Jinbei's joining so much, and also because Jinbei is ultimately a pretty boring motherfucker who doesn't really fit in with the rest of the crew

He'd be perfect as the leader of Luffy's fleet and occasional support character, but not much fun as a regular member

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Kild posted:

All the places with Poneglyphs seem to be unallied with the World Government/Nobles. Even Alabasta while a part of the World Government had their King decline becoming a World Noble. And Fishman Island only recently joining them.

that's because the world government probably destroyed any poneglyphs they had jurisdiction over right?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think you can destroy Poneglyphs iirc

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Star Platinum posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Oda is going for some kind of curveball twist just because he's stalling with Jinbei's joining so much, and also because Jinbei is ultimately a pretty boring motherfucker who doesn't really fit in with the rest of the crew

He'd be perfect as the leader of Luffy's fleet and occasional support character, but not much fun as a regular member

Given how long it generally takes Oda to cash in on plot threads, it doesn't feel to me like he's stalling. Especially given what we know about Big Mom, it totally makes sense that the knight of the sea would feel obligated to wrap his poo poo up with someone like her instead potentially dragging his companions into his mess.

I think he's a fun straight man who is completely unaware that he's a walking multi-layered pun. In that respect I think he'll fill the same sort of role Law does now once Law goes off and does his own thing, but with a layer of absurdity that Law would still shake his head at. It's gonna be great.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Space-Bird posted:

that's because the world government probably destroyed any poneglyphs they had jurisdiction over right?

They're indestructible.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You'd think they'd try tossing 'em to the ocean floor instead.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Why do you think Fishman Island has one?

Speaking of Fishmen had/have at least 2 of the 3 "weapons" in their position. Tom with Pluton and Shirahoshi.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Pureauthor posted:

Have we ever seen one move? They might just be really, really heavy so they decided it was easier to just forbid people to learn the language.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Man with Hat posted:

Have we ever seen one move? They might just be really, really heavy so they decided it was easier to just forbid people to learn the language.

The Skypiea one moved, so it is at least possible to move them (granted by moving the entire landmass they reside on).

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Star Platinum posted:

How is Oda stalling? It's literally been 3 weeks since the Strawhats left Fishman Island.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Kild posted:

Why do you think Fishman Island has one?

Speaking of Fishmen had/have at least 2 of the 3 "weapons" in their position. Tom with Pluton and Shirahoshi.

Think Tom designed/built Pluton after leaving Fishman Island and was already in Water7

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.

Dartonus posted:

The Skypiea one moved, so it is at least possible to move them (granted by moving the entire landmass they reside on).

Didn't Jinbe's sidestory have one that had been moved?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="456853675"]
How is Oda stalling? It's literally been 3 weeks since the Strawhats left Fishman Island.

You say that as if measuring time in the actual One Piece universe matters in the slightest.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crazyeyes posted:

Think Tom designed/built Pluton after leaving Fishman Island and was already in Water7

Pluton was built in Water 7 during the void century. Tom inherited the plans because he's a great shipwright not because he's a fishman.

Then he gave them to Franky who burned them so it's pretty much gone forever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

Pluton was built in Water 7 during the void century. Tom inherited the plans because he's a great shipwright not because he's a fishman.

Then he gave them to Franky who burned them so it's pretty much gone forever.

Unless you buy the theory that the Thousand Sunny is Franky's take on Pluton. Which is pretty plausible.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Darth Walrus posted:

Unless you buy the theory that the Thousand Sunny is Franky's take on Pluton. Which is pretty plausible.

Only if the meaning of the word plausible has been on a similar journey to "literally" since I last checked.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
All I know is it's gonna be awesome when Nekomamushi and Inusrashi and the other Zou people come to aid Luffy for Marineford 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Darth Walrus posted:

It does have a laser cannon in the figurehead....

But I'm not sure if that qualifies it as a threat to the world government. The only one of the ancient weapons that we've gotten a real look (Shirahoshi) can control sea kings, which obviously has the power to the global power structure. Being a really versatile/high tech ship w/laser cannon doesn't really seem to be in the same league.

Of course it could turn out to have some other crazy ability later on, and I'd be totally fine with that. It's just up in the air now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Darth Walrus posted:

Given what we know about Poseidon, the Ancient Weapons seem to involve ancient methods like calling on Sea Kings and whatnot. I could be wrong, though, and they actually did develop a hyper-beam robot destruction weapon (Film Z's use of Dyna-stones are supposed to be a pseudo-Ancient Weapon).

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Only if the meaning of the word plausible has been on a similar journey to "literally" since I last checked.

How is it not plausible?
Franky's passion is battleships.
Pluton is the ultimate battleship.
Franky has the blueprints for Pluton, passed down from his master.
Franky built the Thousand Sunny to be his masterpiece, after building many iterations of different battleships throughout his life.

It adds up imo.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The idea of Franky, whose dream was to design and build a great ship that could traverse the Grand Line would just straight steal stuff from the ancient weapon blueprints is a little suspect. First, he specifically chose to destroy the design rather than have fall into the wrong hands.

Next, the Thousand Sunny is a clear evolution of his previous Battle Franky designs in so many ways, he's either incorporated almost nothing of Pluton in the design, or it's an insane coincidence that he just so happened to have the exact same aesthetic design as a bunch of void century dudes from hundreds of years ago. Like, it's sure convenient that the ancient people of the void century designed a ship that happened to be powered entirely by barrels of cola and utilising powerful blasts of air as weapons and manoeuvring thrusters.

It just strikes me as a theory that only really scans if you apply the most basic, elementary level of "huh huh wouldn't this be totally aweshum" analysis to the story, and I have more faith in Oda as a storyteller than that.

Also, Franky specifically had to find Vegapunk's designs in order to improve himself over the timeskip. If he already had a bunch of weapons stolen from an ancient death machine why would he need to bother? The only other explanation is that Vegapunk, years ago before leaving his home island, managed to design stuff way better than things from the Void Century, and if that were the case then why would the World Government give two fucks about reclaiming the blueprints from Water Seven in the first place?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The idea of Franky, whose dream was to design and build a great ship that could traverse the Grand Line would just straight steal stuff from the ancient weapon blueprints is a little suspect. First, he specifically chose to destroy the design rather than have fall into the wrong hands.

Next, the Thousand Sunny is a clear evolution of his previous Battle Franky designs in so many ways, he's either incorporated almost nothing of Pluton in the design, or it's an insane coincidence that he just so happened to have the exact same aesthetic design as a bunch of void century dudes from hundreds of years ago. Like, it's sure convenient that the ancient people of the void century designed a ship that happened to be powered entirely by barrels of cola and utilising powerful blasts of air as weapons and manoeuvring thrusters.

It just strikes me as a theory that only really scans if you apply the most basic, elementary level of "huh huh wouldn't this be totally aweshum" analysis to the story, and I have more faith in Oda as a storyteller than that.

Also, Franky specifically had to find Vegapunk's designs in order to improve himself over the timeskip. If he already had a bunch of weapons stolen from an ancient death machine why would he need to bother? The only other explanation is that Vegapunk, years ago before leaving his home island, managed to design stuff way better than things from the Void Century, and if that were the case then why would the World Government give two fucks about reclaiming the blueprints from Water Seven in the first place?

I disagree, I think Franky had to have incorporated elements of Pluton (mainly the weapons) into the Thousand Sunny. He went as far as getting Adam wood to build the ship, he had to include weapons to match. Pluton still exists somewhere and the point of preserving the blueprints was originally so that a counter ship could be built. Just because the Sunny has a contemporary design doesn't mean that it's devoid of Pluton subsystems.

I also don't think Franky's application of Vegapunk's research on himself has anything to do with Pluton. The weapons used on Pluton are supposedly able to destroy an entire island; he couldn't just strap that onto his back. Those technologies have entirely different applications, the only common denominator is Franky's use of them. Pluton has giant death lasers, whereas Vegapunk created weapons that can be used by a single person (or cyborg). It's not a plot hole nor a piece of bad storytelling.

I think it would be a great reveal and entirely fitting of the Straw Hat's eventual status as Pirate King's crew that their ship has at least some of the firepower of an ancient weapon. It would add gravitas to them and make other pirates wary of fighting them despite having bigger ships.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Franky got to witness first hand how badly his creations can gently caress poo poo up in the wrong hands, and those were just his dinky prototype ships made from junk. He wouldn't be irresponsible enough to make anything nearly as powerful as Pluton, which was said to be capable of destroying an entire island in a single shot. Plus like Rohan said, the Sunny was designed to make it to the end of the Grand Line, not to be a warship. It's not even particularly big, Caribou's was about twice its size and Big Mom's ship completely dwarfed it. I could maybe buy that the main cannon is a watered-down version of some Pluton weapon, but not that the entire ship is somehow modeled after it.

Shoren posted:

I think it would be a great reveal and entirely fitting of the Straw Hat's eventual status as Pirate King's crew that their ship has at least some of the firepower of an ancient weapon. It would add gravitas to them and make other pirates wary of fighting them despite having bigger ships.

I on the other hand find that to be almost the complete opposite of what Luffy and the Strawhat crew is about. Pirate King status? Remember in Chapter 0 how Roger faced Shiki's massive fleet with a single average-sized ship and won? If any pirate crew is "fitting" to possess something based on an ancient weapon it's Blackbeard's, in fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if they somehow end up unearthing one of them.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
So your argument is that he wouldn't "steal" from the blueprints, when we've already seen him incorporate others' tech into his designs?

Or that it's a "coincidence" that technology that currently exists nowhere else in this world was used in a ship made by Franky, who has access to blueprints by the ancient mysterious tech kingdom? No one's said he copied their aesthetic for Sunny, as that's clearly a tribute to the Going Merry, but he would be dumb not to use supertech from an ancient weapon for the Pirate King's ship (he's going to need it), especially since he's been characterized as a reckless battleship buff ever since he appeared.

It is much more plausible to me that Franky studied and reverse-engineered ancient tech from Pluton through dozens of experiments that were the Battle Frankys, using whatever materials he could get his hands on (i. e. Cola), than him having come up with previously unheard of energy production means and weapons entirely on his own, all while refusing to use the super-secret ancient tech he already has access to, and that his master died for.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 29, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Given what we know about Poseidon, the Ancient Weapons seem to involve ancient methods like calling on Sea Kings and whatnot. I could be wrong, though, and they actually did develop a hyper-beam robot destruction weapon (Film Z's use of Dyna-stones are supposed to be a pseudo-Ancient Weapon).

Something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lN2auTVavw

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Spidder posted:

So your argument is that he wouldn't "steal" from the blueprints, when we've already seen him incorporate others' tech into his designs?

I mean, I'm arguing against the Sunny being Franky's take on Pluton, the idea of him including a certain aspect of the Pluton into the ship isn't as far fetched, but there's no evidence of that so far, because:

quote:

Or that it's a "coincidence" that technology that currently exists nowhere else in this world was used in a ship made by Franky, who has access to blueprints by the ancient mysterious tech kingdom?

No? There's nothing in the Thousand Sunny that isn't something Franky himself developed before ever getting to see the Pluton designs or an evolution of it. The Sunny contains absolutely zero technology that is something that currently exists nowhere else in the world.

quote:

It is much more plausible to me that Franky studied and reverse-engineered ancient tech from Pluton through dozens of experiments that were the Battle Frankys, using whatever materials he could get his hands on (i. e. Cola), than him having come up with previously unheard of energy production means and weapons entirely on his own. All the while refusing to use the super-secret ancient tech he already has access to, and that his master died for.

Not possible. Franky numbered every one of his Battle Frankies. the BF-35, which he used to destroy a Sea King, was designed before he ever even saw the Pluton blueprints. Days later he was smashed by a train and had to rebuild himself as the BF-36. He then never built another Battle Franky until remodling himself into the BF-37 and then building the Franky Shogun, both of which are explicitly based on old Vegapunk tech.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oda probably sperged out at all the unique designs for Davy Jone's crew

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Not possible. Franky numbered every one of his Battle Frankies. the BF-35, which he used to destroy a Sea King, was designed before he ever even saw the Pluton blueprints. Days later he was smashed by a train and had to rebuild himself as the BF-36. He then never built another Battle Franky until remodling himself into the BF-37 and then building the Franky Shogun, both of which are explicitly based on old Vegapunk tech.

Ah I see, so Cola tech is definitely his own, then. But beam tech sounds totally like something a superweapon should have... Franky's never been seen using it before getting the blueprints, either. Nor has anyone else for that matter, except for Vegapunk who probably has access to ancient tech, too.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 29, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The theory posted a while back said that each of the three weapons are named after three Gods that govern three distinct parts of the world:

Pluton - Pluto/Hades, God of the Underworld (also the only Roman derived name)

Poseidon - God of the Oceans

Uranus - God of the Skies

While Poseidon doesn't literally control the water, it does effectively control the sea by way of the Sea Kings. In the same respect, we can guess that Uranus and Pluton control the skies and earth respectively. So the best guess for what Pluton does is probably create some sort of earthquake*. This would thematically fit and would be in line with the stories of it being able to take out an island with a single shot.

*The God of Earthquakes in Greek mythos is actually also Poseidon, but it's a minor shift

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Shirahoshi supposedly being a superweapon was made a bit silly by rayleigh swimming through the ocean knocking all the sea kings out imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I thought Vegapunk's beams were from reverse-engineering how Kizaru's beams worked?