Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Harold Stassen posted:

Syllables hurt head? Look it up.

drat white people loving it up for the noble cannibals

Today we salute forums poster savage Telsa Cola or "People-Eater" for actually defending cannibalism as a product of a functional, healthy society that DEFINITELY does not signify the total breakdown of social mores and agricultural/hunting-gathering processes :laugh:

why are you concerned with being eaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Prince Philip Movement

quote:

The Prince Philip Movement is a religious sect followed by the Kastom people around Yaohnanen village on the southern island of Tanna in Vanuatu. It is a cargo cult of the Yaohnanen tribe,[1][2] who believe that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the consort to Queen Elizabeth II, is a divine being.

Cargo Cults happen when poorer societies come into contact with richer ones, often during war time. The members of these societies often build their own airplanes or cargo out of whatever material is around in hopes of bringing back the real thing. I guess it's sadder than unnerving but the Prince Philip thing is taking it a step further.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cargo Cults in general are sad, but the Prince Phillip one comes off as more charmingly funny. They're able to get semi-regular contact with him and it's not like he's the center of their religious life, he's just the god who happens to be around on earth. I also find their reasoning especially funny. Queen Elizabeth is/was the most powerful woman in the world and everyone acted with extreme respect toward her, expect for Phillip who was his goofball self. So naturally someone able to act that casually around the most powerful woman in the world must be divine in some manner.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Philip is probably happy that, for once, somewhere, he's more famous than Princess Diana.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Terrible Opinions posted:

Cargo Cults in general are sad, but the Prince Phillip one comes off as more charmingly funny. They're able to get semi-regular contact with him and it's not like he's the center of their religious life, he's just the god who happens to be around on earth. I also find their reasoning especially funny. Queen Elizabeth is/was the most powerful woman in the world and everyone acted with extreme respect toward her, expect for Phillip who was his goofball self. So naturally someone able to act that casually around the most powerful woman in the world must be divine in some manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95zTiEqUXQI

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Harold Stassen posted:

Today we salute forums poster savage Telsa Cola or "People-Eater" for actually defending cannibalism as a product of a functional, healthy society that DEFINITELY does not signify the total breakdown of social mores and agricultural/hunting-gathering processes :laugh:
[/

[quote="Harold Stassen" post="456770832"]

You seem entirely too divested in calling societies that practice cannibalism "collapsing savages" despite literally everyone else showing you that you are incorrect. Sorry that your blanket definition of social mores does not apply to other cultures.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
quit talking about your vore fetishes you freakin sickos

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

You seem entirely too divested in calling societies that practice cannibalism "collapsing savages" despite literally everyone else showing you that you are incorrect. Sorry that your blanket definition of social mores does not apply to other cultures.

k savage enjoy eating humans, sorry for kinkshaming

Also look up divested :v:

and urrr literally noone showed I was incorrect...

atomicthumbs posted:

quit talking about your vore fetishes you freakin sickos

This. Stop defending it, man. Not the hill you wanna die on.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

fun hater posted:

why are you concerned with being eaten

Just spent the winter at Truckee Lake

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
"No dude see killing other dudes so you can slurp their marrow is super rad why you gotta be so WHITE about it?" - A moron.

Gonna show my privilege here and say that stopping people eating each other was a win for whitey.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

"No dude see killing other dudes so you can slurp their marrow is super rad why you gotta be so WHITE about it?" - A moron.

Gonna show my privilege here and say that stopping people eating each other was a win for whitey.

White Americans were still eating one another just a little over 100 years ago. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Just read a great article about this woman who got into recreating murder scenes which look like the most hosed up dollhouses possible. They were used to train detectives about evidence gathering in the mid Twentieth century.

quote:

C onvinced by criminological theory that crimes could be solved by detailed analysis of visual and material evidence, and drawing on her experiences creating miniatures, Frances Glessner Lee constructed a series of crime scene dioramas, which she called The Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death.

To create her miniature crime scenes, she often blended the details of several true stories, embellishing facts here and changing the details there. She researched her crimes using newspaper reports and interviews with policemen and morgue workers.

On a scale of one inch to one foot, she presented real-life suicides as accidental deaths, accidents as homicides and homicide, potentially, as suicides. She even used fictional deaths to help round out her arsenal.1

Material evidence at any given crime scene is overwhelming, but with the proper knowledge and techniques, investigators could be trained to identify and collect the evidence in a systematic fashion. She hoped her Nutshell Studies would help. The point was not to solve the crime in the model, but to observe and notice important details and potential evidence; facts that could affect the investigation.

The Case of the Hanging Farmer or The Barn, as it's called, is one of only six free-standing, 360 degree models.
She began construction on her first Nutshell in 1943. "The Case of the Hanging Farmer" took three months to assemble and was constructed from strips of weathered wood and old planks that had been removed from a one-hundred-year-old barn.2

Ralph Mosher, her full-time carpenter, built the cases, houses, apartments, doors, dressers, windows, floors and any wood work that was needed. Mrs. Lee managed the rest, including the dolls, which she often assembled from parts. She painted the faces herself, including the specific detail work to obtain the appropriate colors of decomposition.3

The detail in each model is astounding. The lights work, cabinets open to reveal actual linens, whisks whisk, and rolling pins roll. She famously knitted or sewed all the clothing each doll wears; a job so arduous, she could only knit several rows at a time in any given sitting. By hand, she painted, in painstaking detail, each label, sign, or calendar.

Wallpaper and art work was often carefully chosen to create a specific aesthetic environment for her little corpses.

"Many display a tawdry, middle-class decor, or show the marginal spaces society's disenfranchised might inhabit—seedy rooms, boarding houses—far from the surroundings of her own childhood. She disclosed the dark side of domesticity and its potentially delleterious effects: many victims were women led 'astray' from the cocoon-like security of the home—by men, misfortune, or their own unchecked desires."4
She and Ralph Moser constructed three models each year. Twenty are presumed to have been created, but only eighteen survive. Of these eighteen, eleven of the models depict female victims, all of whom died violently.

"On one hand, because the Nutshells depict the everyday isolation of women in the home and expose the violence there … they can be viewed as a precursor to the women's movement."

On the other, they can also be viewed as an interesting looking glass through which to view a rich woman's attitudes about gender stereotypes and American culture at the time in which she was building them. It is interesting to note that all the victims are Caucasian and the majority were depicted as living in depravity. Additionally, alcohol and/or drugs are prominent in many of the Nutshells.

Regardless of her intent, the Nutshells became a critical component to the Harvard Associates in Police Science (HAPS) seminars. Additionally, her work in training law enforcement left a mark on the field that can still be seen today.

http://www.deathindiorama.com/index.html

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Harold Stassen posted:

Well, if he does at least he won't go to waste.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Rondette posted:

Just read a great article about this woman who got into recreating murder scenes which look like the most hosed up dollhouses possible. They were used to train detectives about evidence gathering in the mid Twentieth century.

http://www.deathindiorama.com/index.html

Netflix had a documentary on this woman, or at least the crime scene diorama thing. As I recall, it was pretty good... Can't remember the name of it though :(

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Harold Stassen posted:

Just spent the winter at Truckee Lake

the difference between you and the donner party is that you dont get invited to parties

content: woman subjects boy to hour long ct scan for no apparent reason

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Holy christ. My 11 month old son got a head CT scan for a really bad sinus infection, and even just with that I feel bad knowing that it upped his chance of brain cancer. I don't want to even think about how I would feel if he had the equivalent of an hour's worth of CT scans.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

Netflix had a documentary on this woman, or at least the crime scene diorama thing. As I recall, it was pretty good... Can't remember the name of it though :(

Thanks for the heads up. It's on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTMqLHJRQdU

VVV I wanna MAKE em! I bet you could sell those to a good price. VVV

Rondette has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Feb 28, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I really want to play with those dioramas.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

fun hater posted:

the difference between you and the donner party is that you dont get invited to parties

:vince:

E: I guess I'm doing the thread a disservice by not posting the amazing Ric Burns PBS American Experience doc on the Donner Party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80CIt-4ScKE

Possibly the best documentary I've seen.

Harold Stassen has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Feb 28, 2016

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
For anybody who is interested in reading a great sociological field trip into either endo- or exophagic cannibalism, I can highly recommend Flesh and Blood: The History of the Cannibal Complex

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harold Stassen posted:

k savage enjoy eating humans, sorry for kinkshaming

Also look up divested :v:

and urrr literally noone showed I was incorrect...

How about the part where you asked for examples of other cultures that still practice cannibalism aside from new guinea cause you were sure there weren't any, and when given examples you completely ignored them

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

How about the part where you asked for examples of other cultures that still practice cannibalism aside from new guinea cause you were sure there weren't any, and when given examples you completely ignored them

None of them use humans as a primary food source, because they can't, which is my point. It would either signal the end of the society or cause it. But that distinction seems to be a :spergin: point of contention for some, if they make that allowance at all that cannibalism might actually not be a good thing. I don't even know why we're having this conversation honestly.

e: and not to get all eurocentric but when referring to a society or culture that usually means "the great nation of X" or "the populous and storied ____ culture" not a handful of weirdos living in the margins and outside the laws of an actual nation-state

Harold Stassen has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Feb 29, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Can we just end the argument and agree that we're all humanitarians deep down inside?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

how much dick and rear end do you have to eat before youre officially a cannibal
e: asking for a friend

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Can we just end the argument and agree that we're all humanitarians deep down inside?

You are what you eat, I guess.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Jesus Christ, how are both sides of this argument so goddamn annoying? Does anyone have any more crazy disappearances or kidnappings? Hell, even a sleep paralysis story would be a nice change at this point.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

fun hater posted:

content: woman subjects boy to hour long ct scan for no apparent reason

Would you entrust your child to Raven Knickerbocker of Mad River Hospital?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Geniasis posted:

Jesus Christ, how are both sides of this argument so goddamn annoying? Does anyone have any more crazy disappearances or kidnappings? Hell, even a sleep paralysis story would be a nice change at this point.

Chimeras/Human Chimeras

quote:

In 2002, Lydia Fairchild was denied public assistance in Washington state when DNA evidence showed that she was not related to her children. A lawyer for the prosecution heard of a human chimera in New England, Karen Keegan, and suggested the possibility to the defense, who were able to show that Fairchild, too, was a chimera with two sets of DNA.

Prions. PROtein InfectION. Causes Mad Cow Disease, scabbies in sheep, Kuru the Laughing Disease, and Fatal Familial Insomnia. They can be dormant in people for decades before rapidly killing you by creating holes in your brain (spongiform encephalopathy).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

djssniper posted:

Kind of reminds me the last photo of Robert F. Read
There's another I've seen but can't find that is similar, where a WWII photographer captures an incoming shell aboard a ship that is basically his last photo but I've never been able to refind it

Not *exactly* the same thing, but a really bad day at work nonetheless:

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013
I know a link to the article that this was based on was posted here but can't find it now. It's about a rape victim and how she ended up being charged with making a false statement and disbelieved by everyone in her life before the rapist was caught after assaulting numerous other women. Anyway, This American Life did a podcast on it that came out today. It's kind of infuriating, but a great listen.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/this-american-life/id201671138?mt=2&i=363853609

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bean_shadow posted:

Chimeras/Human Chimeras

Prions. PROtein InfectION. Causes Mad Cow Disease, scabbies in sheep, Kuru the Laughing Disease, and Fatal Familial Insomnia. They can be dormant in people for decades before rapidly killing you by creating holes in your brain (spongiform encephalopathy).

There's the good poo poo.

FFI is terrifying to think about even if it's ultra-rare. And of course it's the first thing I think about whenever I have insomnia because I'm paranoid like that.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Have 5000 odd words on Toilet Paper orientation

quote:

While many people consider this topic unimportant, some hold strong opinions on the matter. Advice columnist Ann Landers said that the subject was the most responded to (15,000 letters in 1986) and controversial issue in her column's history. Defenders of either position cite advantages ranging from aesthetics, hospitality, and cleanliness to paper conservation, the ease of detaching individual squares, and compatibility with a recreational vehicle or a cat. Some writers have proposed connections to age, sex, or political philosophy, and survey evidence has shown a correlation with socioeconomic status.[2] A generic answer is that it should hang the way the person doing the roll changing prefers.

Solutions range from compromise, to using separate dispensers or separate bathrooms entirely, or simply ignoring the issue altogether. One man advocates a plan under which his country will standardize on a single forced orientation, and at least one inventor hopes to popularize a new kind of toilet roll holder which swivels from one orientation to the other.[3]

Also someone is still maintaining the (x) number of creepy wiki articles for skimming.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Erghh posted:

Have 5000 odd words on Toilet Paper orientation

Also someone is still maintaining the (x) number of creepy wiki articles for skimming.

Some weird choices in there. Like String Theory isn't really that creepy, neither are sailing stones.

edit: and apparently just some random band's wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahavishnu_Orchestra

ranbo das has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Feb 29, 2016

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

ranbo das posted:

Some weird choices in there. Like String Theory isn't really that creepy, neither are sailing stones.

edit: and apparently just some random band's wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahavishnu_Orchestra

Those articles were submitted and edited by Charles Manson.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Danger posted:

You know, I honestly can't tell if you're loving with me or not.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Danger posted:

[citation needed]

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

ranbo das posted:

They've always been hit or miss. Here's an older one courtesy the archive. IIRC earlier threads did go into who was putting them together but can't recall specifics.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Danger posted:

Wiki itself did a study that showed that the most active editors of wikipedia were IP addresses located at the headquarters of major corporations policing their own articles. So Debeers had some intern scrupulously removing anything about blood diamonds or the artificial scarcity of diamonds, while Coca-Cola had people eliminating the time some bottling plant in south america hired mercenaries to kill workers trying to unionize. That's fairly unnerving.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Has Super Replicas been discussed before?

Jalopnik did this in-depth article about them in 2013 and then this followup in 2014

I can't even begin to describe how weird it is, its best to just read it for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Geniasis posted:

There's the good poo poo.

FFI is terrifying to think about even if it's ultra-rare. And of course it's the first thing I think about whenever I have insomnia because I'm paranoid like that.

The prion wiki finally makes sense for why I can't donate blood. I lived in the UK for 3 years when my dad was still active duty, and because of mad cow disease, I'm permanently ineligible to donate blood. Didn't know stuff like that could literally take years or decades to even show symptoms, which is a bit concerning :ohdear: