Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Hey golf thread, so this past summer my uncle gave me an old set of his clubs after I mentioned wanting to get into the game. They are a manufacturer I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, Warrior. I know literally nothing about them other than they seem to feel right (he is about my same height/build).

I am hoping to get a lesson or two once winter is over, but is there any general advice you guys could give me on where to start? Also what other equipment is absolutely necessary? Do I really need shoes starting out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

wisdomHNOX posted:

Hey golf thread, so this past summer my uncle gave me an old set of his clubs after I mentioned wanting to get into the game. They are a manufacturer I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, Warrior. I know literally nothing about them other than they seem to feel right (he is about my same height/build).

I am hoping to get a lesson or two once winter is over, but is there any general advice you guys could give me on where to start? Also what other equipment is absolutely necessary? Do I really need shoes starting out?

I wouldn't go out and spend hundreds of dollars right now. Take a few lessons, practice a bit, and see where the game takes you.

Practice from the hole backwards. Spend a lot of time chipping, pitching, and putting. Get decent at those and gradually work your way to longer clubs. You should be okay with regular shoes in the beginning. Remember to have fun in the beginning.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't played in 2 months. It's supposed to be mid-60s Sat-Tue but my swing feels awful with the 6 iron at home and I'm not sure playing would lead to anything but frustration.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just bought a set of Adams XTD irons on RockBottom because they were $170.

I don't need irons, I like the irons I use, I just can't pass up a golf deal.

Thank God I don't look at the BST on GolfWRX very often. Although I did buy a set of MP-32s from a guy for $100 on there and then immediately tried to play with them. Worst round of golf I've ever played but I'm sure the Rifle 6.5 shafts didn't help my 30 handicap game.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
but the tiny sweet spots help you focus and the rebar shafts keeps your tweaked out long driver level swing speed and atmospheric launch under control.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Everyone should be watching the Farmers. Weather is cray.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
:aaa: I live in La Jolla and a big tree a block away blew over. Shopping carts were moving all on their own! That's not supposed to happen. I don't even think they have the ability to remove trees in this city. They'll have to let it rot.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

sarehu posted:

:aaa: I live in La Jolla and a big tree a block away blew over. Shopping carts were moving all on their own! That's not supposed to happen. I don't even think they have the ability to remove trees in this city. They'll have to let it rot.

Dang dude, stay safe. I'm in east LA and it is windy as hell here.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Correction: two had fallen within a teeshot distance by then, both took out some parked cars. Another in a nearby park. Just now I had to detour around a third road blockage.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think, for now, that I have managed to talk myself out of getting new shoes when my current FootJoy Icons are still fine, even if a bit more creased than I'd like.

But you guyyys, the Adidas Boost looks so comfy!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I think, for now, that I have managed to talk myself out of getting new shoes when my current FootJoy Icons are still fine, even if a bit more creased than I'd like.

But you guyyys, the Adidas Boost looks so comfy!
And now I"m watching Rory and Oosthuizen in the Omega Dubai Desert Classic, and Louis wearing the FootJoy DryJoy Casuals I was considering are making me reconsider. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As you may know, my putting has gone to poo poo in the last 10 years. I know my stroke is still good when my eyes are closed, so I FINALLY got around to shooting POV (or close enough) video of my putting stroke while holing 6 footers with my eyes closed and it looks NOTHING like I would have expected.

I attempted to replicate the stroke with my eyes open and it seems to be working well.

I guess the moral of the story is to give everything a shot, no matter how silly it may seem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I need to play here one day:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
drat, that hole would suit my driver slice power-fade perfectly.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I need to play here one day:

I too would like to play golf in the magical land of Oz

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

slice power-fade

oh man hello new excuse positive spin phrase :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God I need to go to the Waste Management Open some time soon. Now they got goddamn robots hitting aces.

E: and its name is LDRIC. That's a fantastic nod.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Anyone have any recommendations on golf books? I have Ben Hogan's 5 lessons and whatever the other standard one that always get's recommended (I can't remember as I've misplaced it). I'd like something more on the history of golf and also something that goes into details on the Masters.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hogan had some good insights, but people always forget that he had a very unusual body shape: short torso and monkey long arms, so a lot of the positions he espouses aren't physically possible for normal golfers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gently caress yeah, the best putter in the world don't need no alignment bullshit on putts :metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ezU3PAl6s

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Jordan Spieth: Uh I just hit the ball in the hole. Keep it simple.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Hogan had some good insights, but people always forget that he had a very unusual body shape: short torso and monkey long arms, so a lot of the positions he espouses aren't physically possible for normal golfers.

Yeah but the chapter on grip blew my mind when I first read it!

When I asked 10 years or so ago that book and the other one I still can't find (pretty sure it was a black cover) were the go to. It seems like the consensus (and rightly so) is on getting lessons now. Speaking of which, I finally found and have dedicated myself to getting lessons. When last I posted in here I had started the process but canceled everything because my business started jamming.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book is a great read.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book is a great read.

Thanks for the recommendation, I just picked this up!

VVVVV cool thanks, that is now next on my list VVVVVVVVVV

Essential fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 7, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

An American Caddie in St. Andrews: Growing Up, Girls, and Looping on the Old Course by Oliver Horovitz is a really fun read too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ews%2Caps%2C209

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Are the pgatour radio and pgatour live (from the pgatour website) free? I typically watch the Masters Thur & Fri while at work from their website, but I've never watched any other tournaments online.

I'm asking because I was trying to find a decent golf podcast (any recommendations?) and realized I could just start watching/listening to tournaments almost every week, like the Pebble Beach Pro-Am this week.

Also, Harvey Penick's Little Red Book is indeed a nice read.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Essential posted:

Are the pgatour radio and pgatour live (from the pgatour website) free? I typically watch the Masters Thur & Fri while at work from their website, but I've never watched any other tournaments online.

I'm asking because I was trying to find a decent golf podcast (any recommendations?) and realized I could just start watching/listening to tournaments almost every week, like the Pebble Beach Pro-Am this week.

Also, Harvey Penick's Little Red Book is indeed a nice read.

PGA Tour Live is like 5 bucks a month, and you get featured group coverage all day long (2 groups in the morning, 2 in the afternoon), and then I think they simulcast on the weekend. Pretty sweet deal.

Edit: A word.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Kameh posted:

PGA Tour Live is like 5 bucks a month, and you get featured group coverage all day long (2 groups in the morning, 2 in the afternoon), and then I think they simulcast on the weekend. Pretty sweet deal.

Edit: A word.

Excellent! Yeah I'm going to sign up for that, I just didn't see anything obvious on the website. Probably need to create an account first...

Also, I ordered some Under Armour pants, shorts and belts that shipped today!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Essential posted:

Excellent! Yeah I'm going to sign up for that, I just didn't see anything obvious on the website. Probably need to create an account first...

Also, I ordered some Under Armour pants, shorts and belts that shipped today!
That Spieth endorsement money paying off!

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

That Spieth endorsement money paying off!

It's bound to make me play like him right? Right?!?

I DID buy some puma shirts that were on sale at golf galaxy over the weekend, but under armour did pretty well off me because of him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Essential posted:

It's bound to make me play like him right? Right?!?

Absolutely.

*throws out the TW brand shirt i got as a christmas gift from my dad*

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I haven't been on WRX for awhile, but how long until some of these sets start popping up?

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14727750/bob-parsons-pxg-clubs-going-5k-set-turning-heads-tour

Only $300 an iron!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

I haven't been on WRX for awhile, but how long until some of these sets start popping up?

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14727750/bob-parsons-pxg-clubs-going-5k-set-turning-heads-tour

Only $300 an iron!
There are at least a couple WRXers who have them.

Still holding out for these sexy bitches:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
They definitely are sexy. Thinking of replacing my 10 year old set of irons after this year's tax return. I've got rifle 5.0 shafts and they're pretty heavy, wonder what is available with similar specs but lighter. Might go for Titleist this time.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hahaha I love seeing pros lose their cool on TV. Smiley Kaufman comes up short on the par 3 15th, in the water, and breaks his iron over his leg. 30 seconds later Shane Lowry does the same thing and drops two crystal-clear F bombs, and I bust out laughing like I always do. It feels good knowing that these guys make awful swings and bad decisions just like everyone else.

It's almost 60 here in upstate NY today and I'm dying to do some chipping or something. Still can't walk normally from my surgery 3 months ago though. I'm optimistic that I'll be able to play in a month since I started physical therapy last week and am seeing good improvements already.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/nbc-apologizes-after-airing-irish-golfer-shane-lowrys-1761827129#_ga=1.80244311.1121530784.1444164810

Shane's outburst was awesome

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Hah yeah, saw it live.

Adam Scott might be my favorite swing to watch when it's going well (Ernie and Freddie would be up there too) and he seems to be putting fine with the shorter putter. Hope he keeps playing well--should be an exciting season with Spieth, Day, Rory and then maybe Dustin, Adam, Rickie, Bubba, etc. Lots of good golfers playing well these days, should be fun.

Played my first round of the season on Thurs. Just at a local place, short but tight, terrible conditions--really soggy almost casual water all over, but the greens were in decent shape. I was a little rusty 150 in, but drove the ball beautifully, only missed one fairway. Finished even on the front and one over on the back. 3 birdies, 4 bogeys. Can't complain overall, it was great to just get out and play.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

3rd hole of the day. 148 yds, stock 8i. Before the shot, I realized that I was doing something I can't do often enough: perfectly visualising the trajectory of the shot and stepping into it with complete confidence. As soon as I hit it, I knew it was only a question of how close it would be.

Banged off the bottom of the stick and stopped on the fringe. Always a 2 putt par. :sigh:

Kameh fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 29, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Haha love it.

Played Match Play against a scratch marker yesterday. Went down 4&3 after losing the first 3 holes. Didn't really do anything wrong, we were constantly squaring holes with pars and he managed to get a few birdies. I did however manage to win 1 hole... by sinking a 15 meter putt for birdie :D

I don't mind losing in those circumstances. I definitely see the difference between my 4 handicap and someone off 0. Consistency off the tee and never missing ~3 foot putts.

Kameh posted:

3rd hole of the day. 148 yds, stock 8i. Before the shot, I realized that I was doing something I can't do often enough: perfectly visualising the trajectory of the shot and stepping into it with complete confidence. As soon as I hit it, I knew it was only a question of how close it would be.

Banged off the bottom of the stick and stopped on the fringe. Always a 2 putt par. :sigh:

drat that's cruel. Have you had a hole-in-one before?

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

You and Sergio, the nearly men.