Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

nsaP posted:

Hot Canadian Chick you have no idea how much pleasure I get from you buying a 250.

But I didn't... did you not get the memo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm always amused by seeing people in the UK having a whinge about rain when here in the American northwest we get roughly double the annual rainfall (the pacific coast, about a hundred miles west of me, gets roughly twice the annual rainfall of northern Scotland).

Harden up, lads.

Annual rainfall isn't what gets you. It's days of rainfall.

i.e., Sydney has over 1400mm of rain per year in some suburbs. Compare that to London's 500mm and you can tell the difference.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah, it's dreich almost all the time here, but it never really gets apocalyptic (except for the few times it did in the last few months/years :v:)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm always amused by seeing people in the UK having a whinge about rain when here in the American northwest we get roughly double the annual rainfall (the pacific coast, about a hundred miles west of me, gets roughly twice the annual rainfall of northern Scotland).

Harden up, lads.

Yeah but this isn't northern Scotland, it's London. The amount I pay in council tax should be buying me a better class of weather.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I don't think that's how it works hey.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish that's how it worked. Sweden would be a tropical paradise.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah but this isn't northern Scotland, it's London. The amount I pay in council tax should be buying me a better class of weather.

The Shard didn't go far enough. The gaudy London edifices of the future need to start extending above the clouds. Go up high enough and you can just drop your rubbish on Essex when the wind is favourable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
"Your ZRX would make a great cafe racer."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

"Your ZRX would make a great cafe racer."

So you're posting from jail as a result I assume?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Someone once told me that I needed to cafe my 03 naked SV with a big bullet fairing. I thought he was kidding, but unfortunately he was not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Somebody once told me the same thing about my '88 Hawk GT.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Speedo's broken :tizzy:

I'm sure it's probably just the cable, but uuuugghhh I don't need this

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coydog posted:

Someone once told me that I needed to cafe my 03 naked SV with a big bullet fairing. I thought he was kidding, but unfortunately he was not.

You should do it my wife did it it's pretty cool

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

You should do it my wife did it it's pretty cool

That is not an SV you are silly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Speedo
I don't need this

ftfy

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You can't ticket me, as the tape clearly shows, I was doing zero miles per hour the whole way home! :downsgun:

But for real, I don't need a thousand pound fine in addition to whatever it is I'd actually get pulled over for. Bike's grounded until I can take a proper look at it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coredump posted:

That is not an SV you are silly.

Nor is Sagebrush's Hawk GT tbqh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My Hawk GT is the best SV650 and also the best Monster there is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Whole riding career up until now: two punctures. Hornet 900 ownership: 5 punctures. :suicide:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You can't ride a hornet and not expect to get pricked.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Slavvy posted:

Whole riding career up until now: two punctures. Hornet 900 ownership: 5 punctures. :suicide:

They don't build footbridge like they used to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've never had a tire punctured, but I did have the valve stem just plain fall off my front tire one day. :v: The previous owner must have really hosed it up, because the tire still had plenty of tread and a recent date code.

Good thing it happened in the garage and not on the highway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

You can't ride a hornet and not expect to get pricked.

Ok, I chuckled.

I'm now rolling three plug repairs on my rear tyre. ~*poor life*~

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
The temp in the Northeast finally goes above 60F, bring on the squids! Saw a guy yesterday on a newish GSXR 750 who may have bought the bike yesterday and was riding for the first time ever. He was just really unsure of himself and kind of unpredictable speed wise. Merging onto the highway he must have looked over his shoulder 7 or 8 times before fully merging, then gunned it right up to 90 or so. He caught some traffic, slowed to probably 60 or so and went to change lanes but once again had to look over his shoulder half a dozen times before changing. There was nobody close to him. Then ramped it right back up to 90, slows for traffic, looks over his shoulder 50 times, moves into empty lane, throttle hard back to 90 mph, repeat. Then while in the far left lane he realized wayyy too late, oh poo poo, that is my exit! He gives up on all his shoulder looking just sticks is right hand out and cuts over 2 lanes, cuts off an SUV and gets onto the off ramp. I tell you I don't think he leaned the bike over 1 degree. He just kept slowing down until the bike would turn at the angle he was at and to top it all off he put his feet down while trying to slow down enough to make the turn. He's lucky the SUV guy didn't run the guy over because it was a close call to start with and on top of that he was slowing down so much to make the turn I'm surprised the SUV didn't ram into him. All in all the guy made it, and at least he was wearing a protective jacket, which is more than I can say for the majority of riders around where I live, but god drat I don't know if that jacket is going to be enough to save him riding like that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Speedo's broken :tizzy:

I'm sure it's probably just the cable, but uuuugghhh I don't need this

Update: it was indeed a rusted/snapped cable. Tenner to fix, no problem.

32 screws to get at the back of instrument cluster though :negative:

1) remove windscreen: 8 screws
2) remove left and right upper side panels: 4 screws
3) remove instrument cluster fairing: 2 screws
4) remove wing mirrors: 4 nuts
5) detach nose fairing from lower side panels: 14 screws :wtc:

why

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 11, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Our store just got "refreshed" and it's loving stupid. The fixtures look like they're made of cheap plastic, and the paint flakes off onto the gear. Everything's so cramped it's almost impossible to navigate between the racks. I somehow have less room for stuff.
It feels like the motorcycle store equivalent of Ross.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

why

And now you've learned that fairings are an evil only exceeded by half-assed 'cafe' conversions. Naked bike best bike. :black101:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

why

Is it a honda? Cause honda have a corporate policy wherein every part must interlock with at least two other parts in an implausible way.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Kawasaki.

At least replacement screws are obtainable, even if they're not a perfectly standard type; my honda has these weird m6 super flat panhead screws with an m8 shoulder, which are superficially identical to this type except for being slightly smaller in every dimension (except the thread, which is the same, so they'd fit in the nuts but then not actually be able to go flush with the fairings)

HotCanadianChick posted:

And now you've learned that fairings are an evil only exceeded by half-assed 'cafe' conversions. Naked bike best bike. :black101:

Nah. I bitch, but the masses of rivet-looking screws all over the front are half of what I like about the zzr600e. I just wish they were cosmetic is all. I've ridden naked bikes, and while I appreciate them aesthetically they're really not for me. Not being able to see the bike at all without looking down weirds me out.

I wish I could find it again, but there was this concept picture I saw once from a 70s cycle magazine or something of a fully faired race bike where the whole fairing kind of hinged up and forwards around the handlebars to allow quick access for maintenance. That'd be boss.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 13, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've ridden naked bikes, and while I appreciate them aesthetically they're really not for me. Not being able to see the bike at all without looking down weirds me out.

Huh. I really like this about my Hawk. When looking forward, all I can see is the top half of the gauge cluster, and it feels like flying.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Huh. I really like this about my Hawk. When looking forward, all I can see is the top half of the gauge cluster, and it feels like flying.

Same here. I used to love standing on the drz's pegs so I could lean out over the front of the bike. :allears: I felt like Leo in Titanic.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Sagebrush posted:

Likewise. It's the greatest feeling.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

VERTiG0 posted:

Likewise. It's the greatest feeling.

Ever try MDMA?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

No. 6 posted:

Ever try MDMA?

Ever try it while riding? :goatdrugs:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Chichevache posted:

When luxury cars try to race me I like to pull away one-handed while furiously masturbating in the direction of their vehicle. :jerkbag:

I would like to state for the record that when some white appliance car tried to race me off the line on the 500 this morning after I filtered forward, this technique worked magnificently and I heartily endorse it for amusing yourself, instead of becoming angry at some dumbass trying to kill you, and thusly becoming distracted and unfocused.

Really working to stay zen while riding and not dwelling on the transgressions of other motorists. Urban motorcycling is not the domain of the daydreamer.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Beach Bum posted:

Really working to stay zen while riding and not dwelling on the transgressions of other motorists. Urban motorcycling is not the domain of the daydreamer.

This is crucial. Riding angry is no good, and if all other drivers do is make you angry, get a dirt bike and hit the woods.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My favourite technique is using like 1/6th throttle for the first second or so, so you don't pull away from them immediately, then glance over and open the throttle fully. Bonus points if you time it for their first gear shift, double bonus points if your bike has a powervalve that opens around that time.

I think I've mentioned before the inverse rule of how poo poo the car that tries to race me is compared to how fast the bike I'm on appears to be. Not a huge amount of people tried to race me on the Shiver, loads used to try and race me on my RSV Mille.

On the Monster it's almost every loving light, and everything from moderately-nice BMWs to shitbox Nissans. The above technique is absolutely perfect on the Monster because it's already pretty loud when you're not really trying so people think that maybe they have a chance - I really need to get a UHD camera for the back to capture their expression when the powervalve opens.

(Also I have to stop saying "Prepare for LUDICROUS SPEED" to myself when I catch a Barry-ed out Fiesta creeping forward next to me out of the corner of my eye, that's the sort of poo poo that gets you in trouble)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a Barry-ed out Fiesta

A what

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I have no idea either but I think it's clear from context he means :rice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My favourite technique is using like 1/6th throttle for the first second or so, so you don't pull away from them immediately, then glance over and open the throttle fully.

I need more wheelie control for this. Tall bike is tippy