Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

I'm not set on anything, but I thought half the fun of Oktoberfest would be being there for the start of the whole thing on Saturday? Everything is up in the air anyways because I'm still trying to save up enough to buy a new M4 by then and pick it up while I'm there. If I do that I'm kinda on BMWs schedule and then my Alps trip turns into a Nurburgring trip instead.

Saturday has the parade, which I've never seen but is supposed to be pretty cool. But I'd say the biggest fun of Oktoberfest is sitting in the tents and singing along with a couple thousand other people while making friends with other visitors from all around the world On the days before Oktoberfest the tents won't be open so you'd miss that. And then on that Saturday they'll be a total shitshow and unless you have a reserved seat already you run a very high risk of never being able to actually make it in to a tent. When they are at capacity they shut the doors and you can't get in.

On a Monday and Tuesday you'll actually be able to get in to the tents and you'd even be able to hop around to a couple of different ones (they all have different feels and different types of crowds) before settling in for the evening. During the week they are very sedate around lunchtime, you'll see lots of older couples and kids. Things start to ramp up in the afternoon. By 4 or so you have to wander around to find an open seat and by around 7 everything is totally full unless you get lucky and get to a table just as someone leaves. Things still go full bore in the evenings midweek. I took this video at around 7 on a Tuesday during my first visit in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-UfH4hi6Y

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Youll actually have thousands of italians and syrian refugees grabbing your rear end and raping your wife unless you know the good tents to go and how to get in. Good luck!

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

anne frank fanfic posted:

Youll actually have thousands of italians and syrian refugees grabbing your rear end and raping your wife unless you know the good tents to go and how to get in. Good luck!

The guys grabbing my wife's rear end were Irish but they were also buying us drinks so that made it ok right?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Arzakon posted:

The guys grabbing my wife's rear end were Irish but they were also buying us drinks so that made it ok right?

Depends, was the beer good and did your wife enjoy the extra attention? :)

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Zaepho posted:

Depends, was the beer good and did your wife enjoy the extra attention? :)

My reasoning is they were 14 euro Oktoberfest beers in a world where the exchange rate was 1.5-1 and we were poor newlyweds honeymooning in Europe by sleeping out of our cheap rental car. She acts like it was taking one for the team but I know the truth.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Woah biz travel goons, I'll also be at Oktoberfest. I'll be in Berlin directly before and then hopefully take the night train to Munich for the start. We're staying at an AirBnB pretty close the grounds. I think I might use my Hilton points in Berlin or Portugal but AirBnBs are so cheap...

BurgerKingBathroom posted:

Any lady business travelers out there who can give me recommendations on comfy dress shoes to wear with a business suit? Brands, styles, anything would be helpful.
I usually travel in dresses/skirts or non business clothes so I will bring a pair of flats and change after my meeting.

Pants are a bit tricker if you have them hemmed for heels. I'll wear heeled boots or comfy heels in that case.

I also have some cute oxfords and loafers that can work with both dresses, shorter pants, and jeans.

Boot brands: Clarks, Frye
Heels: Corso Como, Ann Taylor (really)!
Both: Cole Haan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
pretty sure I will also be in Munich for Oktoberfest

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
GOON MEET!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
how bad would it be on a scale of 1 - 5 Flyertalks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

2 reddits

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
4 Tumblrs, which if my chart is correct, 2.3 Flyertalks.

BurgerKingBathroom
Feb 1, 2015

taco show posted:

Woah biz travel goons, I'll also be at Oktoberfest. I'll be in Berlin directly before and then hopefully take the night train to Munich for the start. We're staying at an AirBnB pretty close the grounds. I think I might use my Hilton points in Berlin or Portugal but AirBnBs are so cheap...

I usually travel in dresses/skirts or non business clothes so I will bring a pair of flats and change after my meeting.

Pants are a bit tricker if you have them hemmed for heels. I'll wear heeled boots or comfy heels in that case.

I also have some cute oxfords and loafers that can work with both dresses, shorter pants, and jeans.

Boot brands: Clarks, Frye
Heels: Corso Como, Ann Taylor (really)!
Both: Cole Haan

Thank you! I've heard really good things about Cole Haan. The price isn't really in my range but I suppose it's worth it to invest in a good pair of dress shoes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If Munich Oktoberfest is a thing I'm tempted to fly over and meet up. Plus I haven't been to Munich, just Stuttgart and surrounding areas. Like everywhere in Germany, except Munich.

When people do talking about internet things, it won't be flyer talk bad, no one needs to brag about their mileage runs, or status - it's just strangers talking crap in person about that one post they found on flyertalk. Maybe some suit case talk and suit jokes.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How do I get a receipt for southwest wifi access? I want to expense it, but I haven't gotten an emailed receipt and I can't find it in my rapid rewards account.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Call southwest.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Seattle sky club has cup o' noodles available and that made me think of this thread.

And Vancouver is super fun. Wish I'd been there more than one night. I jumped around a lot rather than park somewhere for the whole evening. Gastown was cool but there were a couple of bars just west of the convention center, Tap & Barrel and Cactus Club, that were way more my style.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 29, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Heading to SFO for a conference in April. Corporate travel wants me to book a room on the other side of the bay to save $100/night on hotel. Nevermind rental car, parking, and/or other expenses (time*hourly salary) required to get to the financial district cost more than $100/night. I finally talked with someone with a brain and they approved the conference hotel.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Thank gently caress for that. Never mind the cost factor, commuting across the Bay Bridge every day would've destroyed your soul.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Noctone posted:

Thank gently caress for that. Never mind the cost factor, commuting across the Bay Bridge every day would've destroyed your soul.

And then there's parking, which would eat my soul.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Could you take BART in theory?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I remember once I went to a conference in SFO and my manager booked the conference hotel, he told me to book near the airport and take the BART.

So I got up, took the hotel shuttle to the airport BART, and got on the first train of the day. Of course it was late and he was mad at me. Never again not the conference hotel.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I remember once I went to a conference in SFO and my manager booked the conference hotel, he told me to book near the airport and take the BART.

So I got up, took the hotel shuttle to the airport BART, and got on the first train of the day. Of course it was late and he was mad at me. Never again not the conference hotel.

Generally a good idea, though sometimes I get one down the street if it's a bunch of long days and I need to get away from the scene for a while in the evenings. On the other hand, being able to ignore bathroom lines and use your own toilet is an advantage that can't be oversold.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Generally a good idea, though sometimes I get one down the street if it's a bunch of long days and I need to get away from the scene for a while in the evenings. On the other hand, being able to ignore bathroom lines and use your own toilet is an advantage that can't be oversold.

Haha, I was at a conference in SF just a month ago, and during one break on the first day there was some sort of grunting huffing monster in the next stall over from me that was shaking the walls so bad the door came undone, making the trip upstairs to my private terlet an easy choice.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I'm loving dying right now. Just got on a SWA flight and this fat troll lady with A01 spent like fifteen minutes bitching about pre-boards getting on before A-List and then proceeded to bitch at the flight attendant too when we got to the plane entrance. I mean she's kind of got a point (SAS, for example, does it the right way by reserving a certain number of front rows for higher class fares), but get a loving grip.

:qq: I have to sit in row 3 instead of row 1 :qq:

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

Noctone posted:

I'm loving dying right now. Just got on a SWA flight and this fat troll lady with A01 spent like fifteen minutes bitching about pre-boards getting on before A-List and then proceeded to bitch at the flight attendant too when we got to the plane entrance. I mean she's kind of got a point (SAS, for example, does it the right way by reserving a certain number of front rows for higher class fares), but get a loving grip.

:qq: I have to sit in row 3 instead of row 1 :qq:

At least 75% of the time I board a flight (Delta) someone makes a joke about how everyone boards Premium/Sky Priority and how it shouldn't be called "Zone 1," since it's the third zone. Yes, you are traveling on a Monday morning or Thursday night, everyone here is a frequent traveler.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I thought when the gate agent keys the mic to announce pre-boarding will start in 10 minutes, everyone was supposed to stand up and crowd the gate.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

FAILURE posted:

At least 75% of the time I board a flight (Delta) someone makes a joke about how everyone boards Premium/Sky Priority and how it shouldn't be called "Zone 1," since it's the third zone. Yes, you are traveling on a Monday morning or Thursday night, everyone here is a frequent traveler.

Yeah. What's extra amusing is that pre-board for SWA, as far as I know, is just people with disabilities and the occasional SWA/FAA employee, so her whinging basically amounts to "gently caress the disabled."

Guy Axlerod posted:

I thought when the gate agent keys the mic to announce pre-boarding will start in 10 minutes, everyone was supposed to stand up and crowd the gate.

I wonder what it is about America that creates this phenomenon. Virtually every other place in the world I've been to, people mostly handle short-haul flights like any other mode of public transportation and the boarding process is hella efficient and easy-going. People in America act like they're worried there somehow won't be room on the flight for them.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Noctone posted:

Yeah. What's extra amusing is that pre-board for SWA, as far as I know, is just people with disabilities and the occasional SWA/FAA employee, so her whinging basically amounts to "gently caress the disabled."

I wonder what it is about America that creates this phenomenon. Virtually every other place in the world I've been to, people mostly handle short-haul flights like any other mode of public transportation and the boarding process is hella efficient and easy-going. People in America act like they're worried there somehow won't be room on the flight for them.

Up until a few years ago boarding a Southwest flight was borderline anarchy. It was first come first serve. Some people would camp out in the boarding line but a lot of people would just lounge around in the gate area. Then the pre-board announcement would start and people would panic.

Sometimes I miss the good ol days of the Southwest Cattle Call

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I may also have a skewed perception, I suppose. On all but the rarest occasion it's impossible for me to fly without checking a bag, so I really don't give a poo poo about where I sit on the plane (just so long as I'm not stuck in a middle seat in between a couple of fatties) because even the last person off the plane is mostly likely to make it to baggage claim before the bags do. The main benefit for me in flying business class is a speedy trip through check-in and security screening.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I think the gate crowding thing started when the airlines started charging for bags. I don't know why Sky Priority people do it.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

TheWevel posted:

I think the gate crowding thing started when the airlines started charging for bags. I don't know why Sky Priority people do it.

If you're sitting in Economy Comfort, especially on an MD88/90, you might not be able to get your bag overhead near your seat if you're towards the back of Sky Priority on a flight with a lot of medallions. But you should still sit your rear end down until Premium is mostly boarded.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

ch3cooh posted:

Up until a few years ago boarding a Southwest flight was borderline anarchy. It was first come first serve. Some people would camp out in the boarding line but a lot of people would just lounge around in the gate area. Then the pre-board announcement would start and people would panic.

Sometimes I miss the good ol days of the Southwest Cattle Call

I always scoffed at the SW Cattle Call when I was flying with status. But, now that I'm one of the common folks again after many years, I find it odd that SWA is basically the only domestic airline that treats a person with any dignity. Honorable mention to Alaska Airlines in mostly treating people like humans, but that's basically it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
What I want to know is why in god's name anyone flies Frontier. gently caress that dumb loving piece of poo poo airline.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Noctone posted:

What I want to know is why in god's name anyone flies Frontier. gently caress that dumb loving piece of poo poo airline.

Same with Spirit. Just baffled at how the possibility of getting screwed is so high, yet there's still people who sound surprised when they inevitably have a horrific experience.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Noctone posted:

I'm totally bimodal on boarding. If I'm carrying on my rear end is going to be on as soon as I can so I can actually get overhead space near my seat instead of having to curse the assholes who take up a whole bin by themselves while I search for a spot 10 rows back. If I checked and all I have is a briefcase or backpack then gently caress it, I'm not getting on until just before the door closes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Noctone posted:

OH MAN LOOK AT THESE CHEAP TICKETS I CAN FLY TO VEGAS FOR $80

*goes to airport*
*pays $5 to print boarding pass*
*pays $50 to check bag*
*pays $20 to carry on bag*
*plane is three hours late taking off*
*pays $10 to drink coke on plane*
*pays $20 to eat lovely snack on plane because they're starving from late departure*

gently caress THAT NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN

You can sucker a lot of people once, plus there are a few people who will game it and probably legitimately come out ahead.

Every US carrier will be at least as terrible as Spirit and Frontier by 2020 and most will probably be worse.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That's the one advantage of crack of dawn flights, they open the door really early and people just trickle in as they get to the airport.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
If you're A1 that means you just paid a lot extra for your ticket so you can be first in line. A-List doesn't even start until A15.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Midjack posted:

Every US carrier will be at least as terrible as Spirit and Frontier by 2020 and most will probably be worse.

No, it'll be by 2017. http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2016/02/bottom-class

All y'all with corporate travel purchasers better get excuses together for not getting the cheapest fare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

nikosoft posted:

If you're A1 that means you just paid a lot extra for your ticket so you can be first in line. A-List doesn't even start until A15.

Sorry yeah I should have said Business Select, which is what we were. What really cracked me up is that I overheard her telling another lady that her company only ponies up for Anytime fares (which they get a discount on) and she pays $70 or so out of her own pocket to upgrade to Business Select. poo poo ain't even close to worth it.