Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
How does Trump win the white vote by more than Romney managed? Obama had taken over the Clinton mantle as the Devil, and a not insignificant part of the GOP thought he was a Kenyan Muslim. Romney didn't do nearly as much to alienate the white moderate vote as Trump has, but his share of the white vote was still insufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Had some fun yesterday amusing myself and others by coming up with Rubio jokes, so I might as well share them.

- Why did Rubio start attacking Trump so late in the race?
- Because he only shows up 30% of the time.

- Why does nobody want to go on vacation with Rubio?
- Because he always travels to the same place.

- Why did Rubio push for amnesty?
- To get tech support.

- Why did teachers never ask Rubio any questions?
- Because his answers were predictable.

- How did Rubio do?
- Like always.

- How does Rubio start his mornings?
- By booting up.

- Why does Rubio always have problems with the IRS?
- Because whenever he files his tax returns, he writes "It depends".

- Why does Rubio wear a suit?
- So that nobody would notice.

- Why didn't Rubio show up at work?
- Because the supercharger was closed.

- Why does Rubio sweat all the time?
- Because he has no fans.

Maybe you guys can come up with some new better ones.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a whole new world has opened up in front of me. WOAH.

People are following me? This is amazing. I take back all my past bashing of twittering.

This is revolutionary. WOW.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Can someone explain to me why Trump's 49% support in the new poll is somehow a big deal? Last time I checked, 49% of anything isn't a majority. That means 51% of Conservatives still hate his guts and will rally behind a saner candidate as soon as the field narrows.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Blattdorf posted:

Had some fun yesterday amusing myself and others by coming up with Rubio jokes, so I might as well share them.

- Why did Rubio start attacking Trump so late in the race?
- Because he only shows up 30% of the time.

- Why does nobody want to go on vacation with Rubio?
- Because he always travels to the same place.

- Why did Rubio push for amnesty?
- To get tech support.

- Why did teachers never ask Rubio any questions?
- Because his answers were predictable.

- How did Rubio do?
- Like always.

- How does Rubio start his mornings?
- By booting up.

- Why does Rubio always have problems with the IRS?
- Because whenever he files his tax returns, he writes "It depends".

- Why does Rubio wear a suit?
- So that nobody would notice.

- Why didn't Rubio show up at work?
- Because the supercharger was closed.

- Why does Rubio sweat all the time?
- Because he has no fans.

Maybe you guys can come up with some new better ones.

Totally unrelated, but are christmas crackers a thing in the US?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Narciss posted:

Can someone explain to me why Trump's 49% support in the new poll is somehow a big deal? Last time I checked, 49% of anything isn't a majority. That means 51% of Conservatives still hate his guts and will rally behind a saner candidate as soon as the field narrows.

Don't worry, I'm sure his ceiling is 49% and he will never get a majority.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Boosted_C5 posted:

People are following me? This is amazing. I take back all my past bashing of twittering.

If you want more you'll want to keep directing tweets @ specific people, because otherwise most people will have no easy way of finding you. There are lists of prominent politicians/pundits/reporters out there that you can google to make your task easier (which I have rifled through for my own personal list).

Perfectly Safe posted:

No, and I was very confused while watching QI once until they took them out.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
The scene: a cabin in the Canadian wilderness, inhabited by two peasants, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio. They host two traveling guests: a giant of a man, Ser Christie, and his ward, little Jon Kasich.

Cruz, Rubio, and their guests sit around a table for their evening meal. Cruz has little food to offer the travelers; /Pol/tards and Freepers have scourged the countryside, looting and haranguing the smallfolk. Cruz has long suspected that these criminals were in the employ of King Trump, but he dared not give voice to these concerns, especially not in front of his guests. Still, he bids little Rubio to serve Ser Christie and Jon.

After Rubio places two plates of poutine and two flagons of ale before the guests, Cruz bows his head and begins to pray. Ser Christie, who has little patience for religious folk, reaches for his food when Kasich nudges him under the table. Christie rolls his eyes but stays his hand, allowing Cruz to recite the ritual prayer.

"We thank the Seven scions of Conservatism for the food on our plates and the guests at our table. We thank the Father, Lord Reagan. We thank the Crone, Lady Thatcher. We thank the Smith, Lord Adam. We thank --"

"Yeah yeah. We thank all of 'em our throats haven't been cut yet. Let's eat." Christie begins noisily eating his meal.

"You'll have to excuse my friend," offers Kasich. "He's a veteran of the establishment wars, and... he has no manners."

Cruz seems to take no offense. "A veteran? We could use a man like you. The /pol/tards are getting bolder by the day. I'm afraid little Marco and I wouldn't be able to protect ourselves were they to attack our stead..."

Christie seemingly ignores the remark and downs his flagon of ale. "More," he barks. Little Marco dutifully refills the portly knight's vessel. "You have a bright future in public service," the little boy remarks cheerfully. Christie raises an eyebrow but says nothing.

Cruz continues: "Let me cut to the chase. We're vulnerable here. You seem like a good, strong fighter. One look at you and the cowards would run away. I can offer you donor cash to stay here and endorse us. Honest pay for honest work. What do you say?"

Kasich looks up at his companion expectantly. Christie hesitates, then replies: "I can stay until Super Tuesday."

The next morning, Kasich is awoken to the sound of screams coming from outside the cottage. He bolts outside, fearing a Freeper raid. Instead, he is horrified to see Ser Christie kicking the prostrate peasant Cruz. Marco stands to side side, screaming and helpless to protect the man. Christie gives Cruz one more kick to the ribs and slings a large bag of Donor Cash over his shoulder. He grabs Kasich forcefully by the hand and leads him away from the cottage, in the direction of the Trump House.

"You're the worst poo poo in the Fifty States," Kasich yells at his captor. Christie only laughs. "There's worse than me."

"You stole their Donor Cash! You said you would endorse them!"

"Those fools sheltered us, they make a nice poutine, and they'll both be dead come November. I just know the way things are. How many states does Trump have to win before you figure it out?"

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Perfectly Safe posted:

Wouldn't know, since I'm not from the US.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Perfectly Safe posted:

Nope.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

QuoProQuid posted:

Joe Lieberman endorsed John McCain in 2007.

Other than that, 1964 is the only case that springs to mind.

lieberman was independent at that time

baw fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 29, 2016

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Boosted_C5 posted:

goons pls post more good twitter users (ala @daveweigel) to "engage" with

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Narciss posted:

Because it's higher than it was before. it...keeps going up, you see. Not down. Or unchanging. Up. Keeps going up.

Shame. Missed opportunity.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boosted_C5 posted:

Twitter is both an inane collection of poo poo no one cares about and a platform for the democratization of access to and for influential/powerful people.

It's total poo poo and great. Just lol if you aren't one of Trump 6.45 million followers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

as halfway crooks posted:

theyve been getting a lot of attention lately for being #teamtrump, makes sense as safe issue (because non starter) to get "distance" with

Joe REALLY wants to keep himself in the story, doesn't he...

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Narciss posted:

49% in a 5 man race with a 33 point lead over #2 is no big deal i tell u what

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Narciss posted:

The idea that Trump will get 0% of that 51% is silly. I wonder what Trump's orthodox Jew Son in Law thinks about this KKK flap.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
In which Joe Scarborough is either so naive that he doesn't understand why Trump not disavowing the KKK helps him, or tries to pretend that he doesn't "get" racism to avoid backlash over supporting Trump:

http://youtu.be/sz7pONagF1Q

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

mcmagic posted:

The idea that Trump will get 0% of that 51% is silly. I wonder what Trump's orthodox Jew Son in Law thinks about this KKK flap.

Also according to that poll the race is Trump 49, Everyone Else Put Together 47

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Let's dispel with this notion that Narciss doesn't know what he's doing. Narciss knows exactly what he's doing.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

CubsWoo posted:

49% in a 5 man race with a 33 point lead over #2 is no big deal i tell u what

I'm just saying, it's nothing to write home about. Once you realize that this is only 49% of Republicans the idea of Trump ever coming close to the Presidency looks increasingly absurd. I put his odds at the nomination around 2% (in line with Nate Silver's predictions - check out his website '538', it's excellent) and I put the odds of him becoming POTUS somewhere between zilch and nada.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Trump: Trump

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Twitter is both an inane collection of poo poo no one cares about and a platform for the democratization of access to and for influential/powerful people.

It's total poo poo and great. Just lol if you aren't one of Trump 6.45 million followers.

No need to follow him I get all the highlights from the people I do follow anyways

Oh yeah boosted, Boniface is @mobute

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Narciss posted:

I'm just saying, it's nothing to write home about. Once you realize that this is only 49% of Republicans the idea of Trump ever coming close to the Presidency looks increasingly absurd. I put his odds at the nomination around 2% (in line with Nate Silver's predictions - check out his website '538', it's excellent) and I put the odds of him becoming POTUS somewhere between zilch and nada.

In a desperate attempt to keep sanity, the liberal mind struggles to find solace in an increasingly mad world

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Narciss posted:

There is no way Silver still has him at 2% for the nomination.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Narciss posted:

6/10, good effort on the troll, but you should have done this a week ago. It's a bit dated, even Nate's embraced the Trumpocalypse.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

squidgee posted:

In which Joe Scarborough is either so naive that he doesn't understand why Trump not disavowing the KKK helps him, or tries to pretend that he doesn't "get" racism to avoid backlash over supporting Trump:

http://youtu.be/sz7pONagF1Q

It doesn't help him. The people who either don't care, or are pro-KKK are already in his camp. Trump didn't need to worry about losing their support to another candidate. Trump should already be pivoting to win over the general electorate, and all he did was motivate some disaffected Democrats, while simultaneously making it more difficult for the party to coalesce behind him.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Disillusionist posted:

The scene: a cabin in the Canadian wilderness, inhabited by two peasants, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio. They host two traveling guests: a giant of a man, Ser Christie, and his ward, little Jon Kasich.

Cruz, Rubio, and their guests sit around a table for their evening meal. Cruz has little food to offer the travelers; /Pol/tards and Freepers have scourged the countryside, looting and haranguing the smallfolk. Cruz has long suspected that these criminals were in the employ of King Trump, but he dared not give voice to these concerns, especially not in front of his guests. Still, he bids little Rubio to serve Ser Christie and Jon.

After Rubio places two plates of poutine and two flagons of ale before the guests, Cruz bows his head and begins to pray. Ser Christie, who has little patience for religious folk, reaches for his food when Kasich nudges him under the table. Christie rolls his eyes but stays his hand, allowing Cruz to recite the ritual prayer.

"We thank the Seven scions of Conservatism for the food on our plates and the guests at our table. We thank the Father, Lord Reagan. We thank the Crone, Lady Thatcher. We thank the Smith, Lord Adam. We thank --"

"Yeah yeah. We thank all of 'em our throats haven't been cut yet. Let's eat." Christie begins noisily eating his meal.

"You'll have to excuse my friend," offers Kasich. "He's a veteran of the establishment wars, and... he has no manners."

Cruz seems to take no offense. "A veteran? We could use a man like you. The /pol/tards are getting bolder by the day. I'm afraid little Marco and I wouldn't be able to protect ourselves were they to attack our stead..."

Christie seemingly ignores the remark and downs his flagon of ale. "More," he barks. Little Marco dutifully refills the portly knight's vessel. "You have a bright future in public service," the little boy remarks cheerfully. Christie raises an eyebrow but says nothing.

Cruz continues: "Let me cut to the chase. We're vulnerable here. You seem like a good, strong fighter. One look at you and the cowards would run away. I can offer you donor cash to stay here and endorse us. Honest pay for honest work. What do you say?"

Kasich looks up at his companion expectantly. Christie hesitates, then replies: "I can stay until Super Tuesday."

The next morning, Kasich is awoken to the sound of screams coming from outside the cottage. He bolts outside, fearing a Freeper raid. Instead, he is horrified to see Ser Christie kicking the prostrate peasant Cruz. Marco stands to side side, screaming and helpless to protect the man. Christie gives Cruz one more kick to the ribs and slings a large bag of Donor Cash over his shoulder. He grabs Kasich forcefully by the hand and leads him away from the cottage, in the direction of the Trump House.

"You're the worst poo poo in the Fifty States," Kasich yells at his captor. Christie only laughs. "There's worse than me."

"Those fools sheltered us, they make a nice poutine, and they'll both be dead come November. I just know the way things are. How many states does Trump have to win before you figure it out?"

Nice

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Maoist Pussy posted:

Good fences make good neighbors.

Something there is that doesn’t love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/JRBoh/status/704303373055610880

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

mcmagic posted:

There is no way Silver still has him at 2% for the nomination.

Maybe not 2% anymore, but all of the negatives that plagued Trump from the outset are still there. His massive unfavorables, for example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/06/17/why-no-one-should-take-donald-trump-seriously-in-1-very-simple-chart/

quote:

Trump has a net negative 42 rating. As in 23 percent of Republicans had a favorable view of Trump while 65 percent(!) had an unfavorable one.

Now yes, I'll admit that Trump has *slightly* surpassed that 23% figure. It is a little worrying to me that he now polls over twice as well as his favorability rating. But mark my words, at some point Trump's big mouth will get the better of him and he'll go over the line. Should by some freak accident he make it to the general, these unfavorables will continue to plague him into the general; these numbers don't just change or go away. Once he goes up against a candidate with real charisma and little-to-no skeletons in her closet, he'll be crushed - and I'll be there to enjoy the spectacle.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I blacked out shortly after the Christie endorsement and this thread grew 50 pages in a few days. What did I miss?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

TyrantWD posted:

It doesn't help him. The people who either don't care, or are pro-KKK are already in his camp. Trump didn't need to worry about losing their support to another candidate. Trump should already be pivoting to win over the general electorate, and all he did was motivate some disaffected Democrats, while simultaneously making it more difficult for the party to coalescence behind him.

Of course it does - the foundation of Trump's support is racists and bigots, especially in the south, and he needs their votes on Super Tuesday.

For example, 20% of Trump supporters nationwide don't think that the Emancipation Proclamation was a good idea: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/upshot/measuring-donald-trumps-supporters-for-intolerance.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Disavowing the KKK would hurt turnout among those voters when he needs it the most. Dodging the question to avoid disavowing hate groups absolutely helps him get the nomination, even if it (hopefully) will bite him in the general.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 29, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

These and trumps a medieval general please me greatly.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Father Wendigo posted:

I blacked out shortly after the Christie endorsement and this thread grew 50 pages in a few days. What did I miss?

the demise of america

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've been meaning to say that I've been greatly enjoying Zippy's medieval vignettes, particularly Christie with his turkey leg. Keep up the good work! It's appreciated.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Narciss posted:

Maybe not 2% anymore, but all of the negatives that plagued Trump from the outset are still there. His massive unfavorables, for example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/06/17/why-no-one-should-take-donald-trump-seriously-in-1-very-simple-chart/

Now yes, I'll admit that Trump has *slightly* surpassed that 23% figure. It is a little worrying to me that he now polls over twice as well as his favorability rating. But mark my words, at some point Trump's big mouth will get the better of him and he'll go over the line. Should by some freak accident he make it to the general, these unfavorables will continue to plague him into the general; these numbers don't just change or go away. Once he goes up against a candidate with real charisma and little-to-no skeletons in her closet, he'll be crushed - and I'll be there to enjoy the spectacle.

How is a poll from June in any way relevant?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The long form parody post is a fine art that should be appreciated

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

mcmagic posted:

It's not the poll that's important, it's his favorability numbers. I keep seeing those referenced when people talk about how badly Trump would do in the general, are those not a reliable predictor or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

mcmagic posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure polling back then is still accurate. Trump's only leading Jeb! by 3 in Minnesota! It's gettable!

• Locked thread