Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Did anyone else watch John Oliver's episode on Trump that came out yesterday? I thought it did a really good job of going after Trumps stronger points and systematically showing them to be untrue. Plus he really went after Trumps ego at the end with the whole "drumpf" thing. I don't know that it will have any effect, but at least it was satisfying to have a media personality take a serious look at the guy and not try to pander to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lol ok sure NY Post, why not

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
But his seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeling guys!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

euphronius posted:

He also has to depress Hillarys turnout. Even if Trump gets em to the polls the Dems have more voters.

He's not focused on Hillary yet - he's focused on Super Tuesday and getting enough delegates to avoid getting ratfucked out of the nomination.

You'll see him walk all of this back the second he gets the nom.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Slate Action posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/704324162639290368

He's powering through depression right now, well on the way to acceptance.

Nate is pretty heavy into the booze for a Monday morning

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Korelle posted:

Also using the KKK against Trump in the general just gets countered with

It's not the same thing at all but w/e they love beating that Dixiecrat drum

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

euphronius posted:

Although I think trump has strong cross over appeal to "Reagan democrats" if hey even exist anymore.

They're just republicans these days

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Slate Action posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/704324162639290368

He's powering through depression right now, well on the way to acceptance.

I've never wanted to give someone a hug on the basis of a tweet before.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Korelle posted:

Also using the KKK against Trump in the general just gets countered with

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/704325602116050948

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Hahaha this is amazing

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

Those people would have gone out and voted him either way. There isn't a candidate nipping at his heels for the white supremacist vote.

Exactly. There is no way this helps him, and there is also no way that strongly disavowing Duke would have hurt him. Whatever the percentage of admitted white supremacists he counts as supporters (smaller that people here are claiming) would have either still voted for him or not voted at all. No way they would have gone out and voted for another republican because it turns out old Trump doesn't show enough white pride.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/michaelpix/status/704318660039409664

With haslam and alexander in the front row

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Ted Cruz and Carly Fiorina look like the bad guys from a bad kids movies. This is fact.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Coatlicue posted:

Did anyone else watch John Oliver's episode on Trump that came out yesterday? I thought it did a really good job of going after Trumps stronger points and systematically showing them to be untrue. Plus he really went after Trumps ego at the end with the whole "drumpf" thing. I don't know that it will have any effect, but at least it was satisfying to have a media personality take a serious look at the guy and not try to pander to him.

It was alright. Honestly I think John Oliver is much stronger when the show is doing more investigative journalism like a better version of Vice. For example I thought the abortion thing last week was more compelling

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

DaveWoo posted:

Don't worry, The Donald has an airtight explanation for why he said what he said:

Man trump is really Goddamn whiney. I watched the repubs debate for the first time last night and it's certainly amusing to see him and Rubio or whoever get into a quarrel but trump is hilariously incapable of taking what he dishes out and he looks like a big old baby.

I still thing Hilldog is going to moonwalk into the Whitehouse but what a weird election.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

Although I think trump has strong cross over appeal to "Reagan democrats" if hey even exist anymore.

I know a lot of these people from the Tri-state area and they really are narrow enough to vote for him. I'll be honest: It's concerning...even though anecdotal.

There's a certain tribal affinity that he evokes (even in me) that some can't put aside. It's just like Giuliani, who was an angry little man that is completely detestable...yet when I think back to the late ninties I can't help but smile that he went on SNL, in drag, and talked about "The Yankeeeees!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would love trump to go pro abortion during the general. It would be total chaos.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

This is peak George Will:

quote:

Donald Trump’s distinctive rhetorical style — think of a drunk with a bullhorn reading aloud James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake under water — poses an almost insuperable challenge to people whose painful duty is to try to extract clarity from his effusions. For example, last week, during a long stream of semi-consciousness in Fort Worth, this man who as president would nominate members of the federal judiciary vowed to “open up” libel laws to make it easier to sue — to intimidate and punish — people who write “negative” things. Well.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/432062/donald-trump-republican-party-2016-chris-christie

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Coatlicue posted:

He's said on so many occasions that he doesn't care about Trump, thinks it's stupid to talk about the election etc etc... and now he had a Trump story? Ha. I like LWT, but it's funny to see people eating crow, regardless of political affiliation.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I would love trump to go pro abortion during the general. It would be total chaos.

It is fun to think about how easily building a giant wall to keep non white people out can quickly be turned into a pro-labor anti neoliberal position

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It is amazing how fast Rubio went from Senor Agua Bottle to Rubot to drinkin' in the Park after Dark Florida Twink Magnet amateur standup comedian

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey guys Trump should be hitting his ceiling any day now

*has been literally blind for months, is wearing dark glasses*

I know I do a lot of lovely trolling about this but it really is hilarious. Like, two months in I could see "ha ha but where's the real candidate" (and was on board myself). But slowly and as a drip, poster after poster saw the polls going up, not down, and everyone stared in horror as they slowly realized the truth. The only thing left were pundits and pollsters alike both looking at the situation and desperately coming up with reasons it wasn't going to happen, even as it's increasingly clear that this train has no brakes.

Then, after they finally admit what's going on---the last to do so, by the way, despite their job literally being to predict this stuff---suddenly the narrative is "oh well we're in uncharted territory, the old rules don't apply :smug:"

Just admit it. You were so busy unskewing the obvious that you made a yooge mistake. It's okay, these things happen. :shobon:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Coatlicue posted:

It was pretty brutal, but I have a feeling that there aren't going to be any Trump supporters that see that and somehow break for Rubio or Cruz. Most of what he covered has been know to us for months.

The only part that fell flat was his self-finance campaign portion where he admits that Trump hasn't taken corporate contributions and has loaned his campaign money instead of gifting it. The argument falls flat when you realize that every other person running for president (besides Bernie Sanders) is rattling their tin cup for corporate donations, and that Trump taking $7mil in small donations from individuals is a drop in the bucket. Even if somehow Trump actually was worth the $10bil he claims, someone is still going to be sending him a few bucks here and there either for merchandise or just as a way to feel invested in his campaign.

for anyone who hasn't seen it yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

It is amazing how fast Rubio went from Senor Agua Bottle to Rubot to drinkin' in the Park after Dark Florida Twink Magnet amateur standup comedian

My favorite thing about new Marco is when he gets in a "sick burn" and smiles like a goofy little kid while looking at people like "amirite or what?!?!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Nastier Nate posted:

It was pretty brutal, but I have a feeling that there aren't going to be any Trump supporters that see that and somehow break for Rubio or Cruz. Most of what he covered has been know to us for months.

The only part that fell flat was his self-finance campaign portion where he admits that Trump hasn't taken corporate contributions and has loaned his campaign money instead of gifting it. The argument falls flat when you realize that every other person running for president (besides Bernie Sanders) is rattling their tin cup for corporate donations, and that Trump taking $7mil in small donations from individuals is a drop in the bucket. Even if somehow Trump actually was worth the $10bil he claims, someone is still going to be sending him a few bucks here and there either for merchandise or just as a way to feel invested in his campaign.

for anyone who hasn't seen it yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

There is no way GOP primary voters are watching John Oliver.

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx

Oh the pundits, these real geniuses, think they are so smart. These real geniuses like George Will with the little glasses. Take away the glasses, he looks like a dumb guy, I'm telling you.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i can't speak for other pundits, but while i never believed that trump would get the nom, it's not because i didn't think people would vote for him or he would self destruct. he's just such a bad GE candidate that i assumed the establishment would stop him before he got that far. clearly they are incapable of doing that. i never underestimated trump; i overestimated the competence of the RNC, which is probably a much stupider error.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Donald Trump posted:

Oh the pundits, these real geniuses, think they are so smart. These real geniuses like George Will with the little glasses. Take away the glasses, he looks like a dumb guy, I'm telling you.

Don, Relax.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I know this has been discussed but I still can't believe that we're at the point now where one candidate says his opponent pees in his pants with his small penis

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Freepers are saying Beck had a meltdown and called Jeff Sessions, a man he used to love, a sell out.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I know this has been discussed but I still can't believe that we're at the point now where one candidate says his opponent pees in his pants with his small penis

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
With all the legitimately terrible things that Trump says and does and wants and claims, why the hell is the media always focusing on stupid gotcha questions and wild hyperbole?

Is it just that they see the other stuff as alright, or that they don't think the public would care?

It's a huge part of what's fueling his rise, it makes him seem like a much better person than he actually is.

Every time I see it, there's a part of my brain that goes "this is so loving stupid, if they're trying to pull this poo poo maybe Trump isn't so bad" followed by "no, wait, actually he is really bad, everyone else being bad does not change that".

It's been that way as far back as the stupid "Mexico sending us criminals and rapists" comment too, which was already bad enough and everybody felt the need to attack Trump not for that, but for something even worse that he never actually said like "all immigrants are rapists/all Mexicans are rapists". It comes across as transparently desperate and patronizing when his detractors seem to have the utter inability to engage with him honestly, like they don't actually care what he says or what it means they are just looking for any possible opening to destroy him. The stuff he says is bad enough, and yet every time they make the argument instead about something for which Trump has plausible deniability because he never actually said that.

Do they not realize that this sort of bullshit only empowers him, or do they simply not care?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Montasque posted:

Freepers are saying Beck had a meltdown and called Jeff Sessions, a man he used to love, a sell out.

To have a meltdown don't you have to have been at one point not a blubbering moron?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Is it really that much of a stretch from the rhetoric of the GOP just in general? It's a party of batshit insane people.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

You just can't trust a man with 10 small penises for hands

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the kkk issue is going to disappear (unless Rubio gets even more delusional) after ST. there's just no "there" there. it might be used quietly through surrogates to drive minority turnout during the GE but if you think Hillary is going to run a national ad on it or accuse trump to his face you have no idea how political races work

it's actually damaged him more than I would have anticipated, but I assume it won't dent his enormous margin enough to matter on tuesday and it will be buried after that.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

With all the legitimately terrible things that Trump says and does and wants and claims, why the hell is the media always focusing on stupid gotcha questions and wild hyperbole?

Is it just that they see the other stuff as alright, or that they don't think the public would care?

It's a huge part of what's fueling his rise, it makes him seem like a much better person than he actually is.

Every time I see it, there's a part of my brain that goes "this is so loving stupid, if they're trying to pull this poo poo maybe Trump isn't so bad" followed by "no, wait, actually he is really bad, everyone else being bad does not change that".

It's been that way as far back as the stupid "Mexico sending us criminals and rapists" comment too, which was already bad enough and everybody felt the need to attack Trump not for that, but for something even worse that he never actually said like "all immigrants are rapists/all Mexicans are rapists". It comes across as transparently desperate and patronizing when his detractors seem to have the utter inability to engage with him honestly, like they don't actually care what he says or what it means they are just looking for any possible opening to destroy him. The stuff he says is bad enough, and yet every time they make the argument instead about something for which Trump has plausible deniability because he never actually said that.

Do they not realize that this sort of bullshit only empowers him, or do they simply not care?

The only thing more hilarious to me than Trump's destruction of the GOPe candidates is his continued ability to simultaneously enthrall and savagely own almost every single news media outlet

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

ratings

• Locked thread