Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
So that student who got detained a month ago? Turns out his crime was trying to steal a propaganda poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
NK should be elated a foreigner wanted a poster of the glory of Juche so drat much!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One wonders if he couldn't have asked for or purchased something similar. On the other hand, "juche thought" materials are contraband in South Korea, aren't they?

Edit: To clarify, I can easily believe he was arrested for trying to steal a poster. I do not for a second believe that Jesus and the CIA put him up to it.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 29, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

One wonders if he couldn't have asked for or purchased something similar. On the other hand, "juche thought" materials are contraband in South Korea, aren't they?

Edit: To clarify, I can easily believe he was arrested for trying to steal a poster. I do not for a second believe that Jesus and the CIA put him up to it.

According to the article, the poster was from the staff only area of the hotel. I guess I could see why someone would be interested in analyzing that but not in physical form, which is stupid. They'd have him take a picture. Stealing a poster is much more likely to be a result of him wanting a souvenir. Honestly, if that is the case I hope State lets him rot. It would send a strong signal to other would-be pot stirrers who travel abroad and then break the law.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cliff Racer posted:

According to the article, the poster was from the staff only area of the hotel. I guess I could see why someone would be interested in analyzing that but not in physical form, which is stupid. They'd have him take a picture. Stealing a poster is much more likely to be a result of him wanting a souvenir. Honestly, if that is the case I hope State lets him rot. It would send a strong signal to other would-be pot stirrers who travel abroad and then break the law.

"Petty thieves should be kidnapped and killed by dictatorships."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Since when was he kidnapped? He was arrested by the police while stealing something. If this happened in the United States, with him ripping down a mural at a park visitor center or something you could expect the law to be followed just as well. Why is it the state department's job to bail him out when he's not only not being treated harsher than an average citizen caught preforming the same crime would be, but is actually being treated much more nicely. He's definitely not going to be killed either, fwiw.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cliff Racer posted:

Since when was he kidnapped? He was arrested by the police while stealing something. If this happened in the United States, with him ripping down a mural at a park visitor center or something you could expect the law to be followed just as well. Why is it the state department's job to bail him out when he's not only not being treated harsher than an average citizen caught preforming the same crime would be, but is actually being treated much more nicely. He's definitely not going to be killed either, fwiw.

I am fully in favor of North Korea taking, and hopefully keeping, as many of our morons as possible.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Seconded. We also shouldn't give a drat about what best korea does internationally anymore. It is clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that everything the regime does is for blackmail. The best 'we' can do now is not care, treat them like eritrea or somalia, fire back when they provoke the south, and take a hell of a lot more care about the refugees. Because all that will be an order of magnitude cheaper than rebuild the north ddr-style, and likely not more expensive than the aid money they blackmail now. gently caress em. Bomb them. The North will fall into chaos, but even chaos is cheaper and on morally higher ground than the Kim dynasty.

TL/DR don't give Kim cash for blackmail, watch the regime fall, let the chosun land people sort out the resulting mess themselves, don't pay for reconstruction, take care of the refugees. Cheapest option.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 1, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cliff Racer posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

"Petty thieves should be kidnapped and killed by dictatorships."
What he did was stupid, not to mention disrespectful to the hotel staff. (Drunken idiots trespassing in their offices and homes is hardly a thumb in the eye of the regime.) But not "rot in prison for life" stupid. That said, I'm not eager to see the State department grant the regime any sort of concessions in exchange for his release.

Given that college students are going to be college students, my judgment is that organizations like the one that organized this young man's trip to North Korea really shouldn't take college students. It's irresponsible.

What's the future look like for NK's tourism industry in light of the proposed sanctions?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

gently caress em. Bomb them. The North will fall into chaos, but even chaos is cheaper and on morally higher ground than the Kim dynasty.
No it isn't

quote:

watch the regime fall, let the chosun land people sort out the resulting mess themselves, don't pay for reconstruction, take care of the refugees. Cheapest option.
No it isn't

Why do halfwit jingoists flock to this thread like hummingbirds to nectar?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Does the US and SK have a plan for Nork collapse? Please tell me the Pentagon or state department has some kind of a plan on file.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

What's the future look like for NK's tourism industry in light of the proposed sanctions?
Air Koryo is banned from making international flights and it looks like China is okay with that. Assuming that the DPRK isn't allowed to just rebrand it, the current system of flying into Pyongyang is hosed. As I alluded to earlier they'll have to take the train in or, more likely, busses.

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Does the US and SK have a plan for Nork collapse? Please tell me the Pentagon or state department has some kind of a plan on file.

Seoul has a whole "Reunification Ministry" that seems to try to do everything except prepare for reunification. That said the current, conservative, government is actually setting aside money for future reunification, which is something its predecessors did not do. Its nowhere near enough though, rebuilding North Korea will cost trillions and take a half-century (to say noting of its malnourished, under-educated and in many places probably literally brain damaged population.) As for military plans, yeah, of course they do. They don't make them publicly available though so all we can really do is speculate.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 1, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

They probably have something, it's probably super classified, and it probably basically amounts to "quietly support whichever warlord emerges victorious from the chaos while publicly condemning them".

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I don't think they'd allow any warlord to rise up. The country would get occupied pretty quick by several countries to manage refugees and migrants and minimize economic damage to the surrounding area.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not sure of any plans for post-collapse but there have been some estimations as to how many refugees such a thing would produce and how much it would cost SK to bring NK up to SK's standards. Not sure the exact numbers but I'm linking an article about it.

Basically nobody wants Korean unification and the only plans we have are that of defeating NK in a war.

http://www.dw.com/en/mafael-benefits-outweigh-costs-of-korean-reunification/a-17966172

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

If you really want to read what a clusterfuck it would be to conquer and rehabilitate North Korea, I suggest Bennett's RAND Corporation report. It's book length, but summarizes the problems with the country and scenarios that would likely happen under an occupation in the first 50 pages.
An excerpt regarding what Cliff Racer alluded to:

quote:

Starting in 1995, North Korea experienced a severe famine caused initially by floods but followed by drought in 1997. At least several hundred thousand people died of starvation and perhaps as many as 3 million or so.14 Starvation has continued, although at lower level, since that time. Overall, starvation has physically and mentally impaired a significant part of the North Korean workforce.

quote:

According to National Intelligence Council, Strategic Implications of Global Health, ICA 2008-10D, December 2008, p. 6:

Malnutrition-related cognitive disabilities among North Korean children and young people likely will impact future economic growth in that country regardless of when Pyongyang opens to the outside world or reunifies with the South. Nationwide malnutrition has compelled Pyongyang to lower minimum height and weight requirements for military service, and an estimated 17 to 29 percent of potential North Korean military conscripts between 2009 and 2013 will have cognitive deficiencies disqualifying them for service.
:aaa:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 1, 2016

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Yes. OPLAN 5027 has existed in various forms since the Korean War, and is the combined South Korean - US military response to a North Korean attack. The most recent plan in such an event, as of 1999, is to swiftly invade and occupy North Korea.

quote:

A senior US official was reported to have said: "When we're done, they will not be able to mount any military activity of any kind. We will kill them all." The goal of the revised plan was to "abolish North Korea as a functioning state, end the rule of its leader, Kim Jong Il, and reorganize the country under South Korean control."

This predates North Korean nuclear weapons, but presumably the US military already has plans for that (along with the long-threatened turning Seoul into a "sea of fire", which would be countered by aggressive counter-battery fire.) OPLAN 5027 isn't exactly a secret and North Korea shouts about it constantly.

OPLAN 5029 is a related plan that assumes a North Korean collapse without a direct attack on South Korea. It has considerably less direct work since South Korea very much does not want to annex the North (it would cost too much) and would prefer that it remain a theoretically independent Chinese puppet until it becomes something approaching a working state. However this isn't something most South Korean politicians like to state publicly.

This has been the most threatened war in the past 50 years, so there are definitely plans.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 1, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

I don't think they'd allow any warlord to rise up. The country would get occupied pretty quick by several countries to manage refugees and migrants and minimize economic damage to the surrounding area.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "collapse". Short of a massive popular revolution, I can't see the North Korean society degrading to the point of complete breakdown of the system. Even if the central government falls, there are plenty of regional power-holders and generals to take the reins of the system and declare themselves the next Supreme Leader, and it's more convenient for NK's neighbors to immediately recognize whoever ends up with the nukes as the new leader of the DPRK and give them a bit of aid to help them stabilize things, rather than invading and taking responsibility for the population. If the civil system of North Korea totally fails, there would be little choice but to take control and build a puppet government as fast as possible, but I don't consider a total disintegration of society like that to be as likely as one of the "as your new future dictator, congrats on overthrowing the old dictator, I will totally make things better and not abuse you, honest" events that South Korea is so familiar with.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
NK will collapse eventually, and I can see China and SK holding thier borders against refugees with lethal force while the country depopulates itself.

I dunno just seems depressing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

NK will collapse eventually, and I can see China and SK holding thier borders against refugees with lethal force while the country depopulates itself.

I dunno just seems depressing.

Welcome to Realpolitik, son.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I'm not sure you could have a popular revolution in NK. It seems too controlled and repressive for opposition groups to get organized. Maybe a military coup but even then, how do you convince your brainwashed grunts to suddenly march on Pyongyang and Dear Leader? eh I doubt it. Some political faction could probably switch things up though - leader suddenly died but on his deathbed he totally appointed a new guy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

I'm not sure you could have a popular revolution in NK. It seems too controlled and repressive for opposition groups to get organized. Maybe a military coup but even then, how do you convince your brainwashed grunts to suddenly march on Pyongyang and Dear Leader? eh I doubt it. Some political faction could probably switch things up though - leader suddenly died but on his deathbed he totally appointed a new guy.

Honestly, ideology doesn't matter much to the starving, unless it's along the lines of 'Kill this nerd and you'll have full bellies for the forseeable future'.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Honestly, ideology doesn't matter much to the starving, unless it's along the lines of 'Kill this nerd and you'll have full bellies for the forseeable future'.

Well then it would have happened during the last famine. Revolutions don't just happen out of the blue - it's usually preceded by a period of open dissatisfaction or unrest. I doubt people in NK can get to that point before they start getting deported to slave camps en masse.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

Well then it would have happened during the last famine. Revolutions don't just happen out of the blue - it's usually preceded by a period of open dissatisfaction or unrest. I doubt people in NK can get to that point before they start getting deported to slave camps en masse.

Counterpoint: Where do you think the foreign aid went to? The peasantry, the armed forces or the elites?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Main Paineframe posted:

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "collapse". Short of a massive popular revolution, I can't see the North Korean society degrading to the point of complete breakdown of the system. Even if the central government falls, there are plenty of regional power-holders and generals to take the reins of the system and declare themselves the next Supreme Leader, and it's more convenient for NK's neighbors to immediately recognize whoever ends up with the nukes as the new leader of the DPRK and give them a bit of aid to help them stabilize things, rather than invading and taking responsibility for the population. If the civil system of North Korea totally fails, there would be little choice but to take control and build a puppet government as fast as possible, but I don't consider a total disintegration of society like that to be as likely as one of the "as your new future dictator, congrats on overthrowing the old dictator, I will totally make things better and not abuse you, honest" events that South Korea is so familiar with.

Yeah. It's so hard to figure what happens. But there are even more options than that. Society doesn't have to collapse for people who routinely cross the border to figure out border controls are for some reason non exsistent anymore in a kind of parallel to the iron curtain (but not really). Whatever happens will probably be unique since the situation is unique. It's hard to imagine an extended hot war with the limited military stocks they have though.

WarpedNaba posted:

Counterpoint: Where do you think the foreign aid went to? The peasantry, the armed forces or the elites?

Why do you think stolen aid is going to cause a popular revolt? And the food situation is much better than the 90s.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There's already been a lot of signs that the regime is under a ton of strain, and KJU isn't his father.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

There's already been a lot of signs that the regime is under a ton of strain, and KJU isn't his father.

Have there? There have been signs that Kim Jong-Un's position is under strain, but that doesn't mean the regime itself is in danger - it just means that KJU himself is in danger of having some tragic accident, like falling down the stairs...into a hail of machinegun fire. Dictatorships run by weak dictators are usually more stable than they appear, because the system isn't overly dependent on a particular Supreme Leader, so it's quite easy for a military coup to kill the current one and swap in a new one at the slightest hint of trouble.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Anosmoman posted:

They wouldn't be marching on Dear Leader, they'd be marching FOR him, against his unworthy son who has been lead astray. The most likely coup to occur though, honestly, is also the most likely to have already occurred. That is, the OGD's directorate making KJU a puppet, with him unable to go against their wishes. Perhaps, at that point, a group of generals, pushed against the wall by the threat of additional purges, would attempt a sixties style "we have conquered the palace, that makes us king" coup but I doubt it, they'd have better luck running for the border and never coming back.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Why do you think stolen aid is going to cause a popular revolt? And the food situation is much better than the 90s.

You seem to think the masses control the power in NK. They do not, under any circumstances. This is not George Orwell's idealised dystopia, where the proles possess some magical sleeping power.

The two spheres that contain the most ability for a revolution or a coup in NK are indubitably the army/spec forces and the Elites in Pyongyang. Aside from the constant power playing, the main reason they will not revolt (successfully, there's a very high chance that the Fat Man has had an attempted coup by now from some rogue general) is that they are among the best fed and sheltered from the general horror that is North Korea.

Granted, that's an extremely low bar to clear (and it isn't very well cleared) but the fact remains: Those with the power to generate and sustain social unrest are quite clearly those who have the most to lose should they do so in this scenario.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

WarpedNaba posted:

You seem to think the masses control the power in NK. They do not, under any circumstances. This is not George Orwell's idealised dystopia, where the proles possess some magical sleeping power.

The two spheres that contain the most ability for a revolution or a coup in NK are indubitably the army/spec forces and the Elites in Pyongyang. Aside from the constant power playing, the main reason they will not revolt (successfully, there's a very high chance that the Fat Man has had an attempted coup by now from some rogue general) is that they are among the best fed and sheltered from the general horror that is North Korea.

Granted, that's an extremely low bar to clear (and it isn't very well cleared) but the fact remains: Those with the power to generate and sustain social unrest are quite clearly those who have the most to lose should they do so in this scenario.

I don't think there will ever be a popular revolt. So it's unclear why you are telling me this. I thought you were the one who was arguing for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Stupid question. but how has a plague/virus/whatever not almost destroyed north korea yet. I doubt they have good healthcare despite what their appologistes attest. I know famine related syndroms and diseies are rampant. I am just surprised their hasn't been a cholera epidemic.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Main Paineframe posted:

Have there? There have been signs that Kim Jong-Un's position is under strain, but that doesn't mean the regime itself is in danger - it just means that KJU himself is in danger of having some tragic accident, like falling down the stairs...into a hail of machinegun fire. Dictatorships run by weak dictators are usually more stable than they appear, because the system isn't overly dependent on a particular Supreme Leader, so it's quite easy for a military coup to kill the current one and swap in a new one at the slightest hint of trouble.

The Kim cult of personality is famous for a reason. He is the state. I don't think there's any real way to predict what would happen if there was a coup that attempted to place someone in power who wasn't a legitimate heir to the Kim dynasty. They might be able to contort some kind of working world view out of it, but there's an equally likely chance of becoming a failed state that requires international support to stabilize.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just because you're the divinely ordained god-king doesn't mean that you can't be a puppet in the hands of your generals and ministers. In a hypothetical palace coup the generals wouldn't even have to kill KJU, they'd just shoot some of their rivals and make it very clear to fat boy that he's next unless he does as they say.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Kim dynasty is also famously faked.

If KJU somehow falls onto a bunch of bullets, his replacement will quickly discover his Kim ancestry and the requisite three miracles.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The Kim cult of personality is famous for a reason. He is the state. I don't think there's any real way to predict what would happen if there was a coup that attempted to place someone in power who wasn't a legitimate heir to the Kim dynasty. They might be able to contort some kind of working world view out of it, but there's an equally likely chance of becoming a failed state that requires international support to stabilize.

The Kim family's big enough that there's no shortage of figureheads to choose from.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Historically, there has been no shortage of palace coups that claimed to act on behalf of the sovereign while keeping him under heavy guard.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Someone smart tell me whether I should be worried about North Korea readying nukes.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

CelestialScribe posted:

Someone smart tell me whether I should be worried about North Korea readying nukes.

Probably not worth the extra anxiety, unless you work for the State Department or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CelestialScribe posted:

Do you live in South Korea or China?

If not, the answer is "No". If you do, the answer is "Almost certainly not".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Remember everyone, North Korea isn't actually a monarchy. Kim Il Sung got his son installed as his successor after a decade of setting up the transfer. Kim Jong Il got his son in at the proverbial last minute in what might turn out to have been a failed transition. Its been father, son, grandson so far but if the next one isn't part of the family it won't be a violation of official ideology. The further off we get from the "god-like" Kim Il Sung the less being related to him matters. I'll go so far as to say that the next ruler of North Korea probably will not be a direct ancestor of KIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Stupid question. but how has a plague/virus/whatever not almost destroyed north korea yet. I doubt they have good healthcare despite what their appologistes attest. I know famine related syndroms and diseies are rampant. I am just surprised their hasn't been a cholera epidemic.

In seriousness? Look, cholera and other diseases like that don't just spontaneously generate themselves, you need to transfer the pathogens into the community somehow. Now consider this: most North Koreans can't travel far and wide even in their own country. It's expensive even if they get permission. And the people who do travel widely in that country? They're elites, with easily on par with the west medical care.

As a result it's hard to get widespread disease going on. Any outbreaks are likely to quickly die out by killing off the not that healthy already populations they've infected before they have a chance to really spread.