Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

xtothez posted:

Unfortunately all the HQ units there are unique, so no one can use the standard CAD alongside that very strong formation. If there' isn't a special force org or the option to use Tyranid allies, it's going to be a very limited army until the codex drops.

Yeah the Formation is really a one-off but the Troops are super solid and just some Acolytes and the Trysst as an HQ would be a solid add to a Nids ground force. I agree whatever codex they might whip up will likely be better but it's a good start.

Also the Princelings get Hit and Run for +1pt over a standard Genestealer, which I'll take. Assault turn one, HnR away, recharge, etc. YUGE disruption ability for backfield units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
They also get stealth. I'm hoping they are BB with nids because a patriarch, and trysst in a pile of genestealers would be a fun little blob, especially if you can nab invis.
But I should know better than that.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Its gonna be come the apocalypse, duh.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They all the the tyranid faction symbol, so you can take Throng/HQs/etc right in the normal Tyranid CAD, unless I'm wrong.

Ghosar in a huge unit of hormies with a pair of venomthropes will be a fun unit to mess around with.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

LordAba posted:

They all the the tyranid faction symbol, so you can take Throng/HQs/etc right in the normal Tyranid CAD, unless I'm wrong.

Ghosar in a huge unit of hormies with a pair of venomthropes will be a fun unit to mess around with.

I'm going to email Games Workshop about this this evening. I'm also going to ask about the Telepathy powers and the BS0 stat.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Isn't the tyranid faction the double ripper and not a single ripper? The codex was before they had *picture of model with faction symbol above it* although the Baal book probably has it.

I bet your answer for the BS0 will be working as intended.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Maybe... I'll have to look it up once I get back to my rulebook.

That formation looks like it is 600 points on the nose. Not too bad.

Wish the Aberrant and the Primus had 1 more toughness.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I don't know about hosed up formations but I'll play the poo poo out of cults in Kill Team whenever I get my hands on the new models to go with my existing two hybrids.

Speaking of Kill Team, I played two rounds and watched one today as part of my groups' new campaign:

edit: I'll have to take a look at my hosting :v:

If you HAVE to play 40k, this is definitely the way to do it. The game between my Harlequins and the Ogryns was goddamn high stakes.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 29, 2016

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Hencoe posted:

Isn't the tyranid faction the double ripper and not a single ripper? The codex was before they had *picture of model with faction symbol above it* although the Baal book probably has it.

Yeah, Tyranid datasheets have a different symbol to Genecult ones.

Hencoe posted:

They also get stealth.

It'll be interesting if these become the new standard rules. In summary:

For 1ppm Stealers gain Hit & Run plus Stealth

For almost double points (60>115) the Broodlord/Patriarch gets:
IC / Fear / Fearless / Hit & Run / Stealth
ML2 with Telepathy
AP3 claws with Shred
2 free bonus S4 Rending attacks

It looks like they've given up on the concept of the Broodlord 'sergeant' and instead gone with a beefier HQ unit. Which is a shame because with this box I'll have 5 Broodlords lying around.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

xtothez posted:

ML2 with Telepathy
AP3 claws with Shred

It looks like they've given up on the concept of the Broodlord 'sergeant' and instead gone with a beefier HQ unit. Which is a shame because with this box I'll have 5 Broodlords lying around.

? Ally Tyranid in with Genestealers are your Troops. Hell, The Horror is a good path to assaulting at initiative for the Infiltrating Patriarch and Princelings.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

xtothez posted:

ML2 with Telepathy
AP3 claws with Shred

The problem is it makes genestealers even MORE expensive for a T4 5+ unit that still doesn't have grenades, although if they can get the trysst dude in there it will help even if they lose the fleet bonus. I've done it with a Prime but that's at a serious premium.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 29, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Patriarch Ghosar and the Purestrain Princelings is a good band name.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ghosar was the bad guy in the ghost busters, right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

LordAba posted:

Ghosar was the bad guy in the ghost busters, right?

That's Gozer. Ghosar is, apparently, a small area in India.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Soulfucker posted:

I don't know about hosed up formations but I'll play the poo poo out of cults in Kill Team whenever I get my hands on the new models to go with my existing two hybrids.

I would definitely build a cult for kill team.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The biggest problem with those genestealers is that they come in units of TWO. What are the odds that they both even survive overwatch? Those things are laughably bad.

Aberrants are way overcosted. 30 points a model for T4, 5+ and no shooting is terrible, even with 2 wounds and FNP. Bolters still rip through them like butter. Plus they're slow, so anything even half competent at close combat will cut through them pretty easily before they even swing.

Orthan is good. Ghosar is okay, but overpriced.

Faithful throng might be okay. But their big guns being both heavy, and 24" range means that if moving forward they snapfire, and not moving forward they are out of range. Id rather their special weapons be options, not requirements. Though it is nice to see Tyranids with something higher than strength 7 that is also AP2 (and not a Warp Charge 2 witchfire).

The acolytes are legit. I will spam the poo poo out of those units, and if able, put them in tyrannocites. But I'm still convinced that they'll be allies of convenience with Nids at best.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

They should be allies of convenience at best. The fluff is that genestealer cults are just disruption and get eaten by the hive fleet; not that they hitch rides in spore pods.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The units are super limited just because those are the models in the box; once they've got more options for the kits we'll see them in the rules. The two lovely little Genestealers that can run with the Patriarch are basically there to eat overwatch fire for him as far as I can tell. For the most part I actually like these rules, they seem pretty spot on for cultists. I'd love to fight this army.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Karandras posted:

They should be allies of convenience at best. The fluff is that genestealer cults are just disruption and get eaten by the hive fleet; not that they hitch rides in spore pods.

Maybe from a fluff point of view but neither army really has base functionality without being able to fully team up. Even with battle brothers they arguably make a very poor army.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Plus most of the interactions they could have (like say spore cloud) are specific to units from Codex: Tyranids. It couldnt work even if we wanted to.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Other than the general lack of cleanliness in the highlights, would a red wash make them look a bit smoother? Highlighting this darker armor red has been a bit more difficult to get right than highlighting yellow.

(Nothing on this guy is done, so any suggestions useful.)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey, SRM! I've got a kill team in the works, all old 3rd (I think 3rd? Maybe 4th?) edition metal space Marines with the 1991 Games Day marine as my Veteran. Still going to do them as Crimson Fists, but considering how old they are, I'm thinking of going Goblin Green on the base rims. Seeing as you're the resident OOP as gently caress expert, what do you think?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Broodlord, Magus, Acolytes are sweet-de ghosar.

I know Tyranids got an update not too long ago, but it'd be nice to re-combine and tweak all that stuff Space Wolf style (and not lovely Tau style)-de ghosar.
Mayve even make my first 40k dream, a warrior army, possible at long last-de ghosar.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Crosspost from the Oath thread:

Tankbustas!

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
They look badass. You forgot the silver around the leaping guy's mouth and teef though.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
It took this long, shamefully, but it finally occurred to me why formations are problematic: GW has a tough time writing decent rules on an individual model-level, then turns around and tries to poo poo out meta-rules to apply to multiple units.

All the same, I still don't mind them that much besides the free points formations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Knowing GW this is all we will get for GC. There will be no Mini-dex and no other kits even if they would sell because GW doesn't think that way.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

Knowing GW this is all we will get for GC. There will be no Mini-dex and no other kits even if they would sell because GW doesn't think that way.

A "Harlequins-style release" for GC later this year has been cited by the guy who told us this game was coming months ago. He also has a 100% record for posting rumours, so at this point I'm inclined to believe it's happening.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

xtothez posted:

A "Harlequins-style release" for GC later this year has been cited by the guy who told us this game was coming months ago. He also has a 100% record for posting rumours, so at this point I'm inclined to believe it's happening.

Until that time I'm totally okay with an entire army Formation that's Fearless, strong to Psychic powers, starts 18" away from the enemy, and gets Shrouded turn one. Not all the units are solid, but none of them are terrible either. Infiltrating the Neophyte Hybrids into ruins or other cover in the center of the board is a nice distraction/defense for vehicles that Tyranids simply didn't have before. For 600pts it adds a fun element that absolutely must be addressed to keep the pressure off the rest of the army.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
And I am now bleeding, thanks to modeling chaos. I dropped a piece onto the floor, and without thinking, pressed my toes down onto it hard to try and grab it to transfer it back to my hands, like I normally do with pieces I drop. The piece in question was the turbine top for the chaos Raptor kit, so I now have 8 tiny pinprick holes in my big toe from pressing down on it too hard. As if I didn't hate those spikes enough as it is.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

jadebullet posted:

And I am now bleeding, thanks to modeling chaos. I dropped a piece onto the floor, and without thinking, pressed my toes down onto it hard to try and grab it to transfer it back to my hands, like I normally do with pieces I drop. The piece in question was the turbine top for the chaos Raptor kit, so I now have 8 tiny pinprick holes in my big toe from pressing down on it too hard. As if I didn't hate those spikes enough as it is.

I assembled three of those for a Kill Team and that precise piece was exactly what convinced me never to make any more.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

jadebullet posted:

Until you shed blood for this hobby, you are not a true ham.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kilo147 posted:

Hey, SRM! I've got a kill team in the works, all old 3rd (I think 3rd? Maybe 4th?) edition metal space Marines with the 1991 Games Day marine as my Veteran. Still going to do them as Crimson Fists, but considering how old they are, I'm thinking of going Goblin Green on the base rims. Seeing as you're the resident OOP as gently caress expert, what do you think?

Hell yeah! I love it. Up through the start of 3rd there were still all Goblin Green bases, and up through most of 4th you were still seeing green base rims, so they'll look era-appropriate. As for paints, Warboss Green is the one I use for my bases but it's decidedly more saturated than the old Goblin Green. Coat D'Arms still makes old-style Goblin Green though, so I'd try to track that down for maximum authenticity.

jadebullet posted:

Just wait til you're checking line of sight for a unit on top of a Cities of Death building and you take one of those spire spikes to the temple. drat thing almost caught me in the eye.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

enri posted:

So... where's 40k at these days? How does it play compared to say 4th ed?

It's like Magic The Gathering: solid core rules, obnoxiously overpowered armies. I think 7th has what may be the best rules set, it's tainted by Codexes that are clogged with OP units, laundry lists of special rules, and Allies/Formations/Flyers makes the game a nightmare. They did nerf how much damage a flying monstrous creature can do when swooping over enemy models, down from D3 to just 3 1, but they did nothing to curb the glut of APC spam.

Edit: Jesus christ I can't numbers. Vector Strike is just one hit now.

Imperial Guard versus Orks remains, as far as I can tell, the most enjoyable matchup. I miss Armageddon. :(

xtothez posted:

So yeah, turn 1 infiltrated charges are a thing.

It says you may ATTEMPT, not that you actually can! :reject: :rolldice:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SRM posted:

Hell yeah! I love it. Up through the start of 3rd there were still all Goblin Green bases, and up through most of 4th you were still seeing green base rims, so they'll look era-appropriate. As for paints, Warboss Green is the one I use for my bases but it's decidedly more saturated than the old Goblin Green. Coat D'Arms still makes old-style Goblin Green though, so I'd try to track that down for maximum authenticity.

Not too worried about having the exact shade, Warboss will do. And they may be 2nd-3rd edition metals instead of 3rd to 4th. I can't remember that far back anymore. All I need are bolter arms, those sculpted tactical squad shoulders, and the Crimson Fists tactical and command squad upgrade kits. With any luck I'll be able to cast the fist from the command squad and put it on the two marines that already have shoulders, and do the same with random veteran shoulder designs. Holy hell, though. The shoulder pads have gotten loving giant since the early 90s.

Once all is said and done, I'll have about twenty or twenty-five marines, almost all scavenged from a friends abandoned minis.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

So that means full benefits from allying then, as Tyranids are Battle Brothers with themselves. However most useful abilities are specifically restricted (after the 7E FAQ) to Tyranid Faction only, so no tricks from Venomthropes or Tyrannocytes with Genecult units.

Aside from Telepathy and an infiltrating IC, what other combinations can we use?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

xtothez posted:

They'll come out in individual boxes at a ridiculous mark up so Internet sites will write editorials about how the box set is a "ridiculous value"

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

jadebullet posted:

I once tried to disassemble some second hand Dark Eldar I bought. You know, the models that are even spikier than chaos but thinner so they're easier to break. Had a bad time.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

I loving hate those spikes because they are coming out of the turbine blades instead of the outside rim. Whoever made those models doesn't know how turbines work. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows

• Locked thread