Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for an Excel question, but I'll start here:

If Mr Peck's solution isn't it, you might try the Excel question thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Max Peck posted:

What date should be displayed if I fill out the form on Saturday the 5th?

If it should display 2/26, =TODAY()-WEEKDAY(TODAY())-1
If it should display 3/4, =TODAY()-MOD(WEEKDAY(TODAY()),7)-1

It should be the 26th. The forms are due on the Friday when you're done being on-call, so someone shouldn't be filling it out on the 5th anyway. So whichever one would display the 26th when filled out on the 4th, which looks like the first one.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 29, 2016

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of a good free alternative to Fastone Capture, specifically it's desktop video capture capability? I would pony up the money, but it's for work and I doubt I'll get approval for the purchase cost.

I used the trial on some documentation, and it was the best of it's kind that I've used. Something call Cam Studio hasn't been updated since the 2000's, and it saves in some lovely old AVI format. I've also tried capturing with VLC, but it either crashes or doesn't actually capture anything.

Thanks

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Does OBS do what you need?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If it's to create documentation, the built in Problem Steps Recorder might be enough, maybe? No video though.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Risket posted:

Does anyone know of a good free alternative to Fastone Capture, specifically it's desktop video capture capability? I would pony up the money, but it's for work and I doubt I'll get approval for the purchase cost.

I used the trial on some documentation, and it was the best of it's kind that I've used. Something call Cam Studio hasn't been updated since the 2000's, and it saves in some lovely old AVI format. I've also tried capturing with VLC, but it either crashes or doesn't actually capture anything.

Thanks

Seconding OBS.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Thirding OBS. I used it to create training videos at my last job and it worked wonderfully.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
OBS looks awesome. I see there's two paths you could go down though. Is the studio version the new hotness or does nobody really use that yet?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I think OBS Studio is the main branch now but I dunno for sure. It probably won't matter much for simple recording.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Migishu posted:

Thirding OBS. I used it to create training videos at my last job and it worked wonderfully.
Can record individual windows, and uses H.264 for it's encoder ? Perfect, thank you! I'll give this a try today. I got really sick of using Can Studio to do the captures, then having to use Handbrake to encode the captures

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

If it's to create documentation, the built in Problem Steps Recorder might be enough, maybe? No video though.
Never knew about this, that would be helpful for documentation, could have used this yesterday. Unfortunately I need to record stuff going on in a VNC window, so this wouldn't be useful for that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I recently started using a Windows 10 machine and installed Office 2013. I'm having a problem where any Word documents that I download (.doc or .docx) will spit out this error when I try to open them-

(the crossed-out part is the .doc file's name)

This happens if I download the document to either C:\ or D:\ and try to open it from there, and only with Word docs (tested Excel sheets and PDFs too). However, if I download the file to external storage like a thumbdrive and open it there, it's fine. If I download the file to C:\ or D:\, move it external, and then try it open it there, it works. And if I download the file to an external drive and save it to my computer (either cut+paste or Save As), that file will open. Could it be because my OS on C:\, but Office on D:\? Is there some weird permission I haven't given myself?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 2, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Go to the file properties and Unblock it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks, is that something new to Office 2013/Windows 10? If that's something I need to do with all Word docs going forward (and only Word docs?) then that seems kind of annoying. Is there some option I can check off that automatically unblocks files in that manner?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
this might not have been in the right thread

emdash fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 2, 2016

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I was planning on setting up a dual boot config and adding Windows 10 on my Windows 7 (ultimate) laptop, so I went to shrink the partition, and the max size I can shrink is 8GB (which is far below the 20GB required), yet I have over 200GB of blank space. 8GB out of 200GB? What the hell. I know Windows 10 isn't great, but I have to learn it for my job.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ChocNitty posted:

I was planning on setting up a dual boot config and adding Windows 10 on my Windows 7 (ultimate) laptop, so I went to shrink the partition, and the max size I can shrink is 8GB (which is far below the 20GB required), yet I have over 200GB of blank space. 8GB out of 200GB? What the hell. I know Windows 10 isn't great, but I have to learn it for my job.

By default, Windows won't move files around in a partition to shrink it past where files currently are. As a result, you will need to use third party software to shrink it.

The most reliable way to do it is to get a linux live cd, and run gparted from it (nearly all of them have this), which will allow you to shrink the main partition much further.

Seperately, you can try running a defrag program like MyDefrag and make sure it's set to not only defragment but to move everything to the start of the partition as much as possible (the "data disk" and "system disk" presets in MyDefrag do this for instance). This may be able to move enough stuff to allow Windows to shrink the partition further, although even a single 1 kilobyte file that couldn't be moved could still hold things up.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 5, 2016

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

By default, Windows won't move files around in a partition to shrink it past where files currently are. As a result, you will need to use third party software to shrink it.

The most reliable way to do it is to get a linux live cd, and run gparted from it (nearly all of them have this), which will allow you to shrink the main partition much further.

Seperately, you can try running a defrag program like MyDefrag and make sure it's set to not only defragment but to move everything to the start of the partition as much as possible (the "data disk" and "system disk" presets in MyDefrag do this for instance). This may be able to move enough stuff to allow Windows to shrink the partition further, although even a single 1 kilobyte file that couldn't be moved could still hold things up.

Thank you. I'll try these options.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

It goes without saying, but take a backup of everything important (you have these already anyway, so there's no more work to do here, right?) before you touch any utility that screws around with your partitions

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The programs Unetbootin or LinuxLiveUSB will take a flash drive and install GPartEd Live on it, which is a tiny Linux distribution that only has GPartEd (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) and a minimal desktop environment. Might be preferable to downloading a full 650MB+ Linux distro.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is Exact Audio Copy still the state of the art in the exciting field of CD ripping?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Awesome, it worked. After the defrag it allowed me to shrink up to 80gb instead of 8.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

The Milkman posted:

Is Exact Audio Copy still the state of the art in the exciting field of CD ripping?

Foobar with accuraterip is good enough.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I just got a new laptop with Windows 10, and whenever a new track plays in Winamp, there's a pop-up with a really annoying tone that I want to go away. How do I get rid of it?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hadaka Apron posted:

I just got a new laptop with Windows 10, and whenever a new track plays in Winamp, there's a pop-up with a really annoying tone that I want to go away. How do I get rid of it?

Settings -> System -> Notifications should have Winamp listed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

syntaxfunction posted:

Settings -> System -> Notifications should have Winamp listed.

Is there any point in keeping these ninite installers for programs that have their own built in update mechanisms? Browsers, Notepad++ etc.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Quick question for a friend if anyone can help. We recently built his new PC and installed win 7 then did the free upgrade to Win 10. For one reason or another he needs to do a complete format/reinstall, can we go straight to windows 10 or do we need to go back through Win 7 > Win 10 like we did previously?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

100% Dundee posted:

Quick question for a friend if anyone can help. We recently built his new PC and installed win 7 then did the free upgrade to Win 10. For one reason or another he needs to do a complete format/reinstall, can we go straight to windows 10 or do we need to go back through Win 7 > Win 10 like we did previously?

Might as well double-check that Settings > Update > Activation says digital entitlement, but in such a case you can install straight to Windows 10. Two things to make sure of:

1) Use a current image. If you have any doubts that yours is version 1511 or later, make a fresh one with the Media Creation Tool. (If you use the link from not-Windows, it'll just give you the 1511 MSDN ISO. This is fine.) If you don't you might still be able to pull off #2 below but you'll just have to upgrade to 1511 inside Windows, which is about as big of a download and also a second 'install Windows' stage.

2) Since you did the free upgrade, don't enter a product key. It'll activate against your hardware configuration when it sees Internet for the first time.

NOTE THAT THIS ONLY APPLIES IF YOU NEED TO DO PARTITION OR OTHER DRIVE STUFF. If your partition structure is fine you can probably just Settings > Update > Recovery > Reset this PC.

Also note that standard "disconnect any drive internally that isn't Windows" protocol applies whether you're paving the system drive or just resetting the system. If you have only one drive inside the computer, you obviously don't need to do this.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 6, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Went over to his place today and found out it was malware/virus/etc type stuff from his little brother using the PC to stream all kinds of vietnamese TV show streams online. We did the last thing you mentioned, "Reset the PC", and it seems to be working just fine so far. Currently hes reinstalling everything and we'll see if anything else pops back up. Thanks much for the suggestions, I was not aware this was a feature in windows. I knew you could make backups and restore to those but I've never actually used that feature and I know he didn't make one.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 6, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm thinking I'll do that Windows 10 upgrade on Windows 7, got a question about disc space. I have 60GB SSD with Windows on it and some programs, most stuff I put on an ol' 1TB hard drive and two 500GB hard drives. After downloading the Windows update to get Windows 10 which is in a temp folder called $WINDOWS.~BT at 5.86 gigs, I have only 12.9 gigabytes free on this SSD. (edit: I see on the offical requirements its 20gb for 64 bit, hmm)

Will I have enough space to upgrade to Windows 10? Also after doing that, is there an easy way to remove my old Windows folder which is 25 gigs, or will Win10 need that Win7 Windows folder?

And one more question, if I do this upgrade then buy a bigger SSD, can I just pop in that new one and install Windows 10 on it smoothly somehow?

[edit:]

Well hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 and it was surprisingly smooth! And now I have 23 gigs free on that SSD when I had 13 free when I hit install, that's wizardry right there.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 7, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
After you get settled with Win10 and make sure everything is working/setup how you like, you can also go delete the Windows.old folder as well. At least I had one after doing my upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, that freed up another good couple of gigs. Usually its not too big but everything counts with a 60gb SSD I'd imagine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd just like to point out that you can get an excellent quality 240 GB SSD for your computer for ~$65 shipped now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016JREGAC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

You should consider replacing your 60 GB SSD with that, it makes it a lot easier to handle upgrades.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just a friendly reminder, go to best buy or amazon or whatever and get yourself a jump drive for not a whole lot of money, I think my sandisk 16gb was like 7 dollars, on that jump drive you should use the win 10 media creation tool to make an install jump drive.
Save this drive and remember where you have hidden it as it may become useful at some point in your life.

fishmech posted:

I'd just like to point out that you can get an excellent quality 240 GB SSD for your computer for ~$65 shipped now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016JREGAC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

You should consider replacing your 60 GB SSD with that, it makes it a lot easier to handle upgrades.

This is also solid advice, 60GB isn't much space to deal with unless you have JUST the system and not a whole lot else, My win 10 folder is nearly 20gb, (I haven't used disk cleanup yet to clean it out since installing around 3 weeks ago so results may vary)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Double post but it's been 12 hours

I'm looking for something to widgitize my GPU and CPU temps, I like to see the number and speccy does pretty well but I'm wondering if there's a good desktop widdget that works. I tried rainmeter but it it's pretty fiddly and even with fanspeed running in the background it's still not showing my temps.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for something to keep up with my tasks?

I use Google Tasks but I'm looking for something with maybe a bit more integration with the OS (global hotkeys, ideally).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any recommendations for something to keep up with my tasks?

I use Google Tasks but I'm looking for something with maybe a bit more integration with the OS (global hotkeys, ideally).
I like Todoist (the downloadable version, not the WinRT thing from the Store)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

I like Todoist (the downloadable version, not the WinRT thing from the Store)

Thanks! This looks exactly what I needed (the "Desktop" version is literally a wrapper for chrome and the website, though, but I'll give it a pass on the grounds that it adds global hotkeys).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Thanks! This looks exactly what I needed (the "Desktop" version is literally a wrapper for chrome and the website, though, but I'll give it a pass on the grounds that it adds global hotkeys).

Expect to see this more and more as there's now good tools like Electron for wrapping a website into a desktop app and more and more websites are built entirely on javascript making them even easier to wrap into a desktop app.

Personally, I think its a good thing, but I can see why people wouldn't like it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Thermopyle posted:

Expect to see this more and more as there's now good tools like Electron for wrapping a website into a desktop app and more and more websites are built entirely on javascript making them even easier to wrap into a desktop app.

Personally, I think its a good thing, but I can see why people wouldn't like it.

Imagine my disgust when I realized the Windows software client for the VoIP system at work was just Internet Explorer and Adobe Flash stuck inside a small window. I found that out when there was some Flash exploit on the loose and we disabled Flash company wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Wunderlist is my personal favorite.