Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

don't forget to pick gender neutral nicknames for your non-nidoran and non-genderless pokemon, to avoid an awkward moment when sun & moon are released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

I spent an hour getting the psychic type early on in R/S

Abra in cerulean? He's really powerful if you can evolve him fast

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i've gotten to cinnabar and i've done nothing but dupe items with missingno. ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember crying as a child because I accidentally used my master ball on a Lv 5 magikarp

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Missignos can be encountered using the mew glitch, so you can do that in yellow too, fyi

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Missignos can be encountered using the mew glitch, so you can do that in yellow too, fyi

seems like a much bigger pain in the rear end though. you can encounter as many missingnos as you want at a time in red/blue but if you do that in yellow you'd have to do the trainer fly glitch over and over again.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah... its just some consolation if you got yellow like me

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how long until some Pokemon Autist makes some kind of internet relay that we can use for trading & battling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know people reverse engineered street pass so maybe it can happen with local wireless. God I hope so

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

As a Millennial I posted:

how long until some Pokemon Autist makes some kind of internet relay that we can use for trading & battling.

that guy would be a hero

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that guy will be a hero. it will happen. you cannot watch the agdq pokemon speedrun and not assume this

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I pray to Pokémon Autist every night for this to happen

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
after the reverse engineer on the Pokemon red cart to display twitch chat I believe anything is possible

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the question is whether you'll need to buy a special router and/or wifi expander to do it lol :pwn: https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/1k0g58/setting_up_a_streetpass_relay_at_home

oh you just need something you can change the mac address on. nbd

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

why does red blue and yellow etc cost like 15 dollars?

I'm sorry, are you complaining? You should be happy Ninty is rereleasing these game at all. Personally I think it should be $20 because it's the 20th anniversary. But I'd also pay upwards of ~$150-$200, because, well it's Nintendo! The memories they gave us as children should be worth literally all of the money to our names. #ShutUpAndTakeMyMoneyNinty

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

I'm sorry, are you complaining? You should be happy Ninty is rereleasing these game at all. Personally I think it should be $20 because it's the 20th anniversary. But I'd also pay upwards of ~$150-$200, because, well it's Nintendo! The memories they gave us as children should be worth literally all of the money to our names. #ShutUpAndTakeMyMoneyNinty

This.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i will pay a monthly weekly daily subscription fee for RBY online trading/battling

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Heads up everyone. I beat Brock (First gym leader). Hell, it wasn't even hard.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Heads up everyone. I beat Brock (First gym leader). Hell, it wasn't even hard.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

wow, money is tight in the beginning. lots of runs back and forth to the poké center after beating brock, can barely afford a potion or two. it's funny that metapod and kakuna never learn harden if you level up a caterpie or weedle.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Bolverkur posted:

wow, money is tight in the beginning. lots of runs back and forth to the poké center after beating brock, can barely afford a potion or two. it's funny that metapod and kakuna never learn harden if you level up a caterpie or weedle.

actually they do you just cant skip level 7 if they got too much experience and went from level 6 to 9 for instance... no harden

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

starbarry clock posted:

actually they do you just cant skip level 7 if they got too much experience and went from level 6 to 9 for instance... no harden

in gen 1 kakuna and metapod learn harden at lvl 1

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Bolverkur posted:

in gen 1 kakuna and metapod learn harden at lvl 1

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex/011.shtml
scroll down to yellow sorry you picked the wrong version

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

starbarry clock posted:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex/011.shtml
scroll down to yellow sorry you picked the wrong version

what a mean thing to say

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Bolverkur posted:

what a mean thing to say

the faggots doing construction outside my apartment are blasting the radio and im watching your avatar bounce to the intro to money
https://gifsound.com/?gif=fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/d5/dc/00188857.0007.gif&v=JkhX5W7JoWI&s=12

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 1, 2016

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i enjoy X but i put it down for a while and once I started again I forgot where to go. I am in that big city, and I think the last thing I did was go into some power plant in a desert that rocket or omega or whatever took over.

Also tell me more about the importance of speed in r/b/y. I don't use debuffs a ton, mostly to reduce defence, but why is cutting speed so helpful?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

In X if you beat the gym in Luminose I think you have to go north of out the city to progress. Towards a swamp, anyway.

And in Gen 1 critical hits are based off speed with higher meaning more, so cutting something's speed means it won't crit as much. It's not really important though, you can beat the game easily without worrying about it.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it's nice though that string shot is useful like that

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Aston posted:

In X if you beat the gym in Luminose I think you have to go north of out the city to progress. Towards a swamp, anyway.

And in Gen 1 critical hits are based off speed with higher meaning more, so cutting something's speed means it won't crit as much. It's not really important though, you can beat the game easily without worrying about it.

I'm pretty sure, not 100%, but crit rate is based on a Pokemon's base speed stat, not its current speed in battle. Paralyzing or lowering speed does not lower crit rate, and boosting speed does not boost it either. Also Focus Energy is glitched and will actually lower your crit rate.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aston posted:

the game is certainly able to be beat by a kid only doing offensive moves. I don't think I bothered worrying about buff/debuffs in Pokemon until sapphire

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

me, 10 years old, using growl for the first time: "why the hell (whispered) would i ever use a move that didn't make the hp go down"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

i enjoy X but i put it down for a while and once I started again I forgot where to go. I am in that big city, and I think the last thing I did was go into some power plant in a desert that rocket or omega or whatever took over.

Also tell me more about the importance of speed in r/b/y. I don't use debuffs a ton, mostly to reduce defence, but why is cutting speed so helpful?

As far as cutting stats go, its far more useful to buff yourself up, and even then that's mostly if you want to stomp the lovely AI, or if you're playing against a human being. If you heard cutting speed is helpful, that's probably talking about using paralysis in competitive, because most of the threatening offensive Pokemon in gen 1 like Alakazam and Starmie are a lot less scary if they're paralyzed.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Big fan of my fast Pikachu and Mankey scoring crits on everything at this point of the game

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I want a good postgame. I caught em all, give me something to do with em :\

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

me, 10 years old, using growl for the first time: "why the hell (whispered) would i ever use a move that didn't make the hp go down"

this but me, right now, today

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yellow was the first time I had to use things like growl to win a fight. You gotta sand attack that onyx, growl him down, and then tail whip him so pidgey can tackle him to death

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GameCube posted:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
GameCube

lmao

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GameCube posted:

Oh my loving god lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I am at the second Gym, just got Mew. Here is my current team:

Rasputin - lvl 11 Abra
Nemesis X - lvl 20 Bulbasaur
Havel - lvl 18 Geodude
Beyonce - lvl 16 Nidorina
Applepie - lvl 17 Butterfree
The Glitch - lvl 7 Mew

I really like psychic types so I will probably have both Kadabra and Mew in my team for a long time.

• Locked thread