Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Echo came back in TSP which was definitely in the market research era, also I think they did enough interesting things with it for it to not be hated

oh right, of course how did i forget my fav goblin has echo in that set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Is this a new thing or has this been here?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh right, of course how did i forget my fav goblin has echo in that set

I know it's easy to guess Mogg War Marshall but I am gonna guess Stingscourger

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

stingscourger is planar chaos

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I just don't really see how you would describe Momir Vig as one of the iconic cards/characters from Magic Lore, especially not the one I would use to preview the Lore FTV.

But EDH is stupid and I don't play it so maybe Momir really is iconic outside of MTGO.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GonSmithe posted:

I just don't really see how you would describe Momir Vig as one of the iconic cards/characters from Magic Lore, especially not the one I would use to preview the Lore FTV.

But EDH is stupid and I don't play it so maybe Momir really is iconic outside of MTGO.

It's cool that you don't know poo poo and want to tell us all about how you don't know poo poo even when we try and help you know poo poo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It really sucks that people are such assholes to you when you're trying to be helpful Toshimo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
No really why would they go for Momir, a character who had all of three pages' worth of anything in the entire block if you include all the flavor text attributed to him on the cards and all the time devoted to him in the books, when they could have gone with actually interesting and fun characters like Teysa or Agrus Kos.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I guess that countdown was not there yesterday, so I assume its some kind of blowout on Shadows Over Innistrad - its slated to finish on Thursday.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Only 2 Eldrazi in the top 8 of the SCG Classic this weekend. And Jund won which is just amazing to me. I have no idea how that deck wins tournaments.

Because contrary to your beliefs sometimes a pile of the best cards in a format can win. Especially when the colors you are in can handle just about any Eldrazi threat.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yawgmoth posted:

No really why would they go for Momir, a character who had all of three pages' worth of anything in the entire block if you include all the flavor text attributed to him on the cards and all the time devoted to him in the books, when they could have gone with actually interesting and fun characters like Teysa or Agrus Kos.

Kos is trash unplayable, even in ~edh~. Teysa is less exciting since she's had more printings.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Megamorph is probably unpopular because of its similarity to morph and stupid name. If you're looking at the actual power level/design of the cards I think it's significantly better than morph, but it's just not new.

A lot of blame can be placed on Wizards marketing, especially with Manifest being weird and them selling the mechanic as a "proto-morph", in their own words. It built up player expectations pretty bad, and when DTK rolls around and the new world morph variant is just morph with a +1/+1 counter, players are bound to be disappointed. Like, they didn't even try to pretend Megamorph was an ingeniously-conceived mechanic during previews, so why should we get excited about it?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Toshimo posted:

It's cool that you don't know poo poo and want to tell us all about how you don't know poo poo even when we try and help you know poo poo.

Yeah, man, that's totally what's happening and I definitely didn't read every Magic book when I was kid, including the Ravnica ones. Momir has like 10 lines in the entire Dissension book. If they were going from any direction other than EDH it doesn't make sense. But I get it, it's for the EDH crowd. Cool.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Toshimo posted:

Kos is trash unplayable, even in ~edh~. Teysa is less exciting since she's had more printings.

Kos is mad playable in my Gisela EDH deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Zoness posted:

stingscourger is planar chaos

you're both right, i forgot Stingscourger was in Planar Chaos but it's my favorite goblin from the block

also "give red temporary bounce it fits so well" comment here

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

This will go great in my "Things That Go Great In My EDH Deck" EDH Deck.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Is it a weird non-Voltron build because there are a lot cheaper ways to give Gisela +2/+0

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Toshimo posted:

FTV: ~LORE~

1. Academy Ruins
  2. All Suns' Dawn
  3. Braids, Cabal Minion
  4. Catastrophe
  5. Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
  6. Griselbrand
  7. Jhoira of the Ghitu
  8. Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
  9. Mangara of Corondor
  10. Mirari
  11. Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
  12. Narset, Enlightened Master
  13. Saffi Eriksdotter
  14. Thassa, God of the Sea
  15. Zur, the Enchanter

:getin:

Mirari was in FtV: Relics. But that's otherwise a pretty good estimate of the box set. It's going to be FtV: Legends pt. II

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Star Man posted:

Mirari was in FtV: Relics. But that's otherwise a pretty good estimate of the box set. It's going to be FtV: Legends pt. II

Yeah. Forgot about that one.

It happens when loving SHITSHOW GATHERER REGULARLY OMITS ALTERNATE PRINTINGS AND PROMOS WHO THE gently caress CODED THIS DOGSHIT

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

FTV: ~LORE~

1. Academy Ruins
  2. All Suns' Dawn
  3. Braids, Cabal Minion
  4. Catastrophe
  5. Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
  6. Griselbrand
  7. Jhoira of the Ghitu
  8. Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
  9. Mangara of Corondor
  10. Mirari
  11. Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
  12. Narset, Enlightened Master
  13. Saffi Eriksdotter
  14. Thassa, God of the Sea
  15. Zur, the Enchanter

:getin:

Egregious exclusions:

Reki, the History of Kamigawa
Birchlore Rangers
Lorescale Coatl
Living Lore

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

It happens when loving SHITSHOW GATHERER REGULARLY OMITS ALTERNATE PRINTINGS AND PROMOS WHO THE gently caress CODED THIS DOGSHIT

Use magiccards.info, it us vastly superior than the gatherer.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Toshimo posted:

Haven't ratings/comments been broken on gatherer for over two years now?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

They're really running out of good ideas for FTV sets. :geno:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

FTV: Good Ideas

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Haven't ratings/comments been broken on gatherer for over two years now?

they're working on it man, they probably have to code a comment section for each individual card page

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
FTV: The Reserve List

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

i mean there really wasn't a lot of good space there for super cool ideas if you can't go against the reserve list

I think FTV:20 was the only one that was really cool, all the other ones are just like "here's some artifacts" or "hey you like angels right"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

odiv posted:

{Empty Set}

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

Is this a new thing or has this been here?

I'm glad to see that Spike Spiegel is still getting work

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Star Man posted:

Replace it with Legacy Weapon, problem solved

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

More like FTV: Bore am I right?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

odiv posted:

From the Vault: Force of Will, featuring not the iconic 3UU pitch counterspell but instead 15 cards from the Force of Will card game.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
I think it's likely that the From the Vault is gonna be about Tutors rather than Legends 2.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

FTV: Powerful and Flavorful Cards that Represent Story Moments is one of the best FTV ideas in my opinion.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013
Has anyone here tried this game yet? Because eh, ... that's a lot of money.

https://www.epiccardgame.com/worlds/

It's similar to Magic but a completely different mana system. It plays a little like Vintage, but creatures are actually good and you don't have to play Blue.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BJPaskoff posted:

FTV: Powerful and Flavorful Cards that Represent Story Moments is one of the best FTV ideas in my opinion.
Making it all the more hilarious that they literally made an effort to stop representing story moments on cards. Granted they seem to have walked that back a little and Deicide, Kozilek's Return, etc. are nifty cards even if Return's rarity is horseshit

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hellsau posted:

From the Vault: Force of Will, featuring not the iconic 3UU pitch counterspell but instead 15 cards from the Force of Will card game.
:eyepop: I'll...take 5. 6 if it comes with a kawaii kakkoii playmat. :3:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

DurdleDuck posted:

It's similar to Magic but a completely different mana system. It plays a little like Vintage, but creatures are actually good and you don't have to play Blue.

My friend played it, he said that they didn't really design power level to cost at all so games were stupid swingy.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

DurdleDuck posted:

I own it but I've only drafted it. It's fun, but I'm not a huge fan of the "mana" system. For those who haven't played it, all cards either cost 1 gold or 0 gold. 0 gold cards can be played for free, and you get 1 gold on each player's turn (so you'd usually play a creature on your turn for 1g, then an event for 1g on the opponent's turn). Since the power levels are so stratified it really becomes a game of who can get the most 2-for-1s out of their cards.

It's still enjoyable and easier to draft and play for non-Magic players than a cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

My friend played it, he said that they didn't really design power level to cost at all so games were stupid swingy.

That's odd, that's very different from my (admittedly limited) experience. Most reviews actually applaud the balance in the game. It does *look* swingy on first glance compared to Magic I guess.

muon posted:

Since the power levels are so stratified it really becomes a game of who can get the most 2-for-1s out of their cards.

That's more what I noticed: grinding out value and managing your relatively low life total seemed very important, but that didn't feel swingy, actually very skill intensive.

DurdleDuck fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 29, 2016

• Locked thread