Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Note that Cylance turn off live lookups for their competitors for those tests. I.e. intentionally cripple them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

feedmegin posted:

That seems a terrible idea if so because you have now told the company youre applying to the maximum they have to offer you.
If you absolutely have to tell someone like a recruiter how much you made at your last job, you never, ever tell them the truth.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

If you absolutely have to tell someone like a recruiter how much you made at your last job, you never, ever tell them the truth.

What you made + 10k a year for each year at the job.

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!

ratbert90 posted:

Interviewed a guy today who said he could do web programming. I asked him what IDE he uses and he replied VMware. :negative:

The bane of my existence of owning a tech company has been hiring people. We could open a whole thread of dumb rear end answers to interview questions and resumes.
One of my favorite was someone listed on their resume skills they are "Highly proficient in the following" in and in their they listed html 5, java, C#, C++, Python and a myriad of other skills. As I started asking questions to see what they knew and I started talking about something I was trying to get working in Python and their faced turned white, so I started asking about their programming experience and he says, "Well I put those on my resume because I know they are programming languages". Apparently that is the new standard for "Highly proficient in the following" It also turns out when he listed that he was A+ Certified and Networking + Certified he not only knew that those were certifications but had planned to take a class for them in the near future.

anyone have a good animated character for banging their head against the wall? if so insert here. ^^

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ratbert90 posted:

Interviewed a guy today who said he could do web programming. I asked him what IDE he uses and he replied VMware. :negative:
Because I'm a pedantic gently caress, I will point out that VMware does have at least one IDE in their portfolio:

https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-ide

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Foe Hammer posted:

anyone have a good animated character for banging their head against the wall? if so insert here. ^^

:bang:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Because I'm a pedantic gently caress, I will point out that VMware does have at least one IDE in their portfolio:

https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-ide

When I asked him what program he uses to code he replied with Pspad

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I never claimed to be insightful, only pedantic.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I always answer notepad as my ide of choice. It's never hurt me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

adorai posted:

I always answer notepad as my ide of choice. It's never hurt me.

Next time I'm interviewing for a linux admin job, I want to try this line out just to see what happens.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I program in Microsoft Word.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Next time I'm interviewing for a linux admin job, I want to try this line out just to see what happens.
In all seriousness, if it hurts, you didn't want to work there anyway.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I always write my code out with pencil and draft paper before I type a single character!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Psh, IDEs are for nerds. I use an ISE.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I always write my code out with pencil and draft paper before I type a single character!
Why automate like a fuckin' geek what you can just farm out to a bunch of Vietnamese kids by hand for pennies on the dollar?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

Why automate like a fuckin' geek what you can just farm out to a bunch of Vietnamese kids by hand for pennies on the dollar?

How are you supposed to provide white glove service if you're not actually touching everything?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

That whole story owned

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

feedmegin posted:

That seems a terrible idea if so because you have now told the company youre applying to the maximum they have to offer you.

The intent is to weed out the billion calls and emails from recruiters that you would never take because they aren't going to offer anything in the ballpark of what you would want to change jobs. It's also not a commitment to accept that number. If they offer the minimum and you feel it's too low for the work you're not obligated to take it.

People always act like naming a number early locks you in, but money is only one piece of total compensation and nothing prevents you from saying "based on what I've heard about the position and the other benefits I feel that number Y is actually a more appropriate salary."

I open any conversation with a recruiter with a minimum acceptable salary required for me to even discuss he job. It's a starting point, not a final number, and it keeps me from going through two or three rounds of interviews with a company only to find out that they are cheap as hell and are offering half of what I currently make.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Foe Hammer posted:

The bane of my existence of owning a tech company has been hiring people.

Some days the thought of hiring is all that stops me from firing someone

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

go3 posted:

Hiring is the worst.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Inspector_666 posted:

Psh, IDEs are for nerds. I use an ISE.

The PTVS and RTVS systems are pretty interesting to work with:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

We posted a new helpdesk position on thursday. I am awaiting the flood of candidates from HR that all have great soft skills and english degrees, having never used a computer beyond opening word.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

We posted a new helpdesk position on thursday. I am awaiting the flood of candidates from HR that all have great soft skills and english degrees, having never used a computer beyond opening word.
At my last job we literally just went to the local Apple store and asked who wanted a new job until we found someone

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AlternateAccount posted:

Right now I am leaning heavily toward switching to HP Elitebook 1020/1040s. Lighter, faster, cheaper, and better designed than their Lenovo counterparts we've been using. I don't think their dock is as nice, it requires you to slide the switch over to engage, but it costs a lot less. I'll probably wait for WiGig models to become a thing.

I used an SP3 for a long time and just recently switched to a 4. It's just too janky to give out for production use. I have constant issues with both machines undocking and re-docking and having it not come back from sleep. This has persisted across two machines and two docks and reinstalls. A lot of this might be Windows 10(for example, the MDP->DVI adapter that was plugged into the dock and worked fine for a long time is suddenly useless and required switching to HDMI instead. This happened on two separate machines for two different users.)
The SurfaceBook is heavy and goofy, I had high hopes but it's just a real letdown in person. And even at the top end model, the "discrete GPU" is just about worthless. If you want to get into teh "Surface" ecosystem, the SP4 is the better pick in every way.
Also, before you get excited about the Surface Pen, please go try an iPad Pro with a Pencil. It's not even comparable, Microsoft has a lot of work to do before the Surface is what it's advertised to be.

The problem for me primarily is that Windows is an absolutely terrible "touch" OS. They keep trying to shoehorn it, and it just doesn't work. Or at least it's always clear its shoehorned and never quite feels right.

A couple of my coworkers have had a problems with the keyboard too. I've never had the issue myself.

I can't really speak to the Microsoft vs Apple argument. The Pencil is much nicer, but we're a Windows only environment so iPads aren't even an option.

Vulture Culture posted:

At my last job we literally just went to the local Apple store and asked who wanted a new job until we found someone

I might steal this idea but sub Apple for BestBuy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

AlternateAccount posted:

I used an SP3 for a long time and just recently switched to a 4. It's just too janky to give out for production use. I have constant issues with both machines undocking and re-docking and having it not come back from sleep. This has persisted across two machines and two docks and reinstalls. A lot of this might be Windows 10(for example, the MDP->DVI adapter that was plugged into the dock and worked fine for a long time is suddenly useless and required switching to HDMI instead. This happened on two separate machines for two different users.)
The SurfaceBook is heavy and goofy, I had high hopes but it's just a real letdown in person. And even at the top end model, the "discrete GPU" is just about worthless. If you want to get into teh "Surface" ecosystem, the SP4 is the better pick in every way.
Also, before you get excited about the Surface Pen, please go try an iPad Pro with a Pencil. It's not even comparable, Microsoft has a lot of work to do before the Surface is what it's advertised to be.

The problem for me primarily is that Windows is an absolutely terrible "touch" OS. They keep trying to shoehorn it, and it just doesn't work. Or at least it's always clear its shoehorned and never quite feels right.

I've heard there's a some sort of sleep issue that hasn't been addressed with the Surface Pro 4 which is disappointing.

The Pen is cool but I don't think it's really comparable to the Apple counter-part. I'm buying a Surface so I'm able to draw diagrams, annotate various items not to give out 1,000+ different pressure points to draw artwork.

Windows 10 is interesting, a huge improvement over Windows 8 but there's still a lot left do be desired especially with UI Elements.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Tab8715 posted:

I've heard there's a some sort of sleep issue that hasn't been addressed with the Surface Pro 4 which is disappointing.

The Pen is cool but I don't think it's really comparable to the Apple counter-part. I'm buying a Surface so I'm able to draw diagrams, annotate various items not to give out 1,000+ different pressure points to draw artwork.

Windows 10 is interesting, a huge improvement over Windows 8 but there's still a lot left do be desired especially with UI Elements.

I've been one of our testers for the surface series (we rolled out 30 of them). The 3 was ok, had issues with the trackpad, keyboard and/or touchscreen becoming non-responsive from time to time, usually happened if you unclipped the keyboard part way. Also constant issues with the fans spinning and generating a lot of heat. Poor battery life when that was happening. Defo more stable on windows 8.1, stability issues got worse with windows 10.

Same issues with the SP4, heat/fan issues were far worse in that they happened almost constantly to more than 20% of our deployed surface 4s.

I've been on a surface book for two weeks now, and I have to say, they knocked it out of the park with this one. Screen is finally big enough to be a real daily driver, I haven't had a single usability issue other than at one point the OS couldn't turn the camera on to do facial recognition login. Keyboard/mouse have a good feel, docking/undocking works great. It does feel a touch too big to regularly use as a tablet, but from time to time it works just fine, especially with the pen, but truth be known, its a laptop now, and a damned good one.

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I might steal this idea but sub Apple for BestBuy.

Avoid the Apple & Best Buy in Tampa, FL we get PO'd people in daily where they messed something up

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrMoo posted:

The PTVS and RTVS systems are pretty interesting to work with:

:colbert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahaha. I was thinking the same thing.

We have a guy at work who does all his work as root on a dev box, and it always makes my skin crawl. I mean, I get it's a dev box and all, but that's such a poo poo habit to get into.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
But his password is C1sc0

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

If you're doing any kind of development with IIS you have to run Visual Studio as administrator to attach to the w3wp process for debugging. What do you expect developers to do, run Visual Studio as a normal user while not debugging, quit and run as administrator while debugging, and then quit and run as a normal user again when their debug session is over hundreds of times a day?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hiyoshi posted:

If you're doing any kind of development with IIS you have to run Visual Studio as administrator to attach to the w3wp process for debugging. What do you expect developers to do, run Visual Studio as a normal user while not debugging, quit and run as administrator while debugging, and then quit and run as a normal user again when their debug session is over hundreds of times a day?

a) :colbert:
b) :colbert: Did you look at the code they were running?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
It's like someone posted a selfie and we've spotted a HUGE dildo on a shelf behind them.

Just...nerdier.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I don't find Python devs to be THAT masturbatory, even the ones that insist on sticking with 2.7.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: I just logged into check, that appears to be a side effect of the sysprep image. This is a standard Reuters image made by Microsoft for some whacky reason and it provides a GUI for setting up basic accounts and features. The account is named reutadmin but the home directory and full name is Administrator. So go figure.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 28, 2016

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Docjowles posted:

Do you have any links to guides for shipping Windows event logs to ELK?

Phone posting so I don't have a good link, but Jessica Payne has done a few sessions/videos on WEF in the last 6 months, though with a security focus. If you're managing more than about 10k endpoints, set up a couple of log servers, put ALL of the log servers in the GPO, and use security filtering on the subscription definition so each endpoint's event stream shows up in one place.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

PCjr sidecar posted:

ELK stack. (Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana)

Happily using ELK for insider threat detection.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So I just got off the phone with Airwatch.
They just finished installing and setting up their program.

They installed 8.2 "because their 8.3 installer didn't work, and our support contract doesn't cover the upgrade."

Excuse me? This is going to be a fun loving Monday.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

<Airwatch being Airwatch>

I used to be a contract CE for them and they have been chucklefucks since the very beginning. This type of poo poo from them is never surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, Airwatch is pretty vile, and that's compared to the average enterprise software company.