Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Mack's an ex soldier turned highwayman that decided one day he wanted a job that doesn't involve killing. His old crew, whom he deserted, might track him down, either for revenge or for a little help.
He might also have a few capers/cons if the players swing that way, but he refuse to use any kind of violence.

Fin is a former nun from a convent dedicated to the God/Goddess of Arts. Given up as a child by her family to the order, she once snuck into the treasury and touched some kind of blessed item, which gave her incredible skill with any instrument, and the prettiest voice ever. She went on some kind of journey with the item, to spread the love of music around, and settled for a tavern for now. She however keep her divine voice for something greater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Where had you originally planned your players' attention to be? Make them involved in a thing that is either helping, or opposed to, that object of the plot you had planned.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Turtlicious posted:

Game: 13th Age

The Adventuring Party: 1 Character is really bad at being good, and is a Deva (Angel Person), 1 Character is really bad at being bad and is a Tiefling (Demon Person), 1 character has 8 intelligence, 10 wisdom, and needs a moral compass in his life. He also has a magic music box that is leaking blood, and is the ONLY son of an Undead in the Universe. The Deva & Tiefling act as his moral compass. Shenanigans ensue.

Problem: I made two semi-interesting NPC's who own a tavern / inn in the city. They are asking for information / want the plot to revolve around these people. I didn't do much story boarding, so I need some help figuring out cool backstory for them to pull out of these tight lipped NPC's. Mack owns the bar, and Fin works the stage. Mack is a man of few words, patient, a good listener, scarred to poo poo and scary. Fin is mute, plays instruments, and sometimes delivers food to the rooms. When Fin was asked her name, she flicked off the party. When Mack was asked Fin's name, he also flicked off the party, then shrugged, "that's all I get out of her... We call her fin, short for finger."

That's the entirety I have on these people, but the PC's want something to be there, and I want something to be there, so I'm going to need help generating plot hooks.

Fin is an ex-bard. That's why she knows her way around the stage. Why ex-bard? She seems pretty comfortable with a variety of instruments. Well, her voice was her real instrument until she lost it. You see, she had her tongue cut out by a noble she offended or was cursed to be mute by an evil witch or insert other reason. Singing, the only thing she loved in the world, was taken away from her. Making music is the only thing she was ever good at so now she makes her way through life fuddling around with instruments silently on stage at a backwater inn. Every night is a constant reminder of the thing she loves but can no longer do. You'd be pretty pissed at the world if that was your life, eh?

Seems like there's a few quests in there.

edit - Perhaps the bleeding music box is somehow connected? Maybe the power of Fin's tongue is what makes it produce such beautiful music. Maybe Fin recoils in horror if she ever sees it because she knows exactly what it is or who made it.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 22, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm gearing up a campaign for my local group, and I kind of remember there being something like a basic questionnaire that has been floating around. Can't remember if I saw it here or on the /r/rpg reddit, but it was some really basic things to ask players to tease out what they want to accomplish. Wondering if anyone here knows what I'm talking about?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
Two standbys for me have always been "What would tempt your character to become proactively involved in something?" and "What payoff would be enough to make your character risk life and limb in a dangerous situation?"

The other one is to ask the group: "How do you know each other? Why are you working together? What have you done together before game start? What, as a group, is your goal?"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Combine two of the above posts. Fin was the bard (possibly divinely inspired) who's tongue was cut out for perceived slights against some king. The king's wizard took the divinely powered tongue and did something relating to the bleeding music box. Meanwhile Mack was the royal guardsman who took pity on the innocent bard and betrayed his oath to the king by breaking her out. Perhaps he was a highwayman for a time while they were on the run before settling on these cover identities in some far enough away place.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iceclaw posted:

Mack's an ex soldier turned highwayman that decided one day he wanted a job that doesn't involve killing. His old crew, whom he deserted, might track him down, either for revenge or for a little help.
He might also have a few capers/cons if the players swing that way, but he refuse to use any kind of violence.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Combine two of the above posts. Fin was the bard (possibly divinely inspired) who's tongue was cut out for perceived slights against some king. The king's wizard took the divinely powered tongue and did something relating to the bleeding music box. Meanwhile Mack was the royal guardsman who took pity on the innocent bard and betrayed his oath to the king by breaking her out. Perhaps he was a highwayman for a time while they were on the run before settling on these cover identities in some far enough away place.

Yeah, definitely taking this one on. Which would also explain why the Bar Tender was nice to DumbRogue, but Mean to the two people taking advantage of DumbRogue. I really love it, and it's nice to have neat little backstories if the characters really want to pry.

Whybird posted:

Where had you originally planned your players' attention to be? Make them involved in a thing that is either helping, or opposed to, that object of the plot you had planned.

There are local fauna growing in size, becoming evil, and creating homes in places of power. Murlocks / Kobolds in mausoleums of wizards, Spiders growing in size and creating huge nests in temples, places of good getting corrupted. They're being warped by demons and dark magic. If they want to explore that, then eventually they'll find out that the demons are coming through rifts being created, (on accident,) by a Wizard who got his hands on an artifact far stronger then he anticipated. They'll eventually find the Wizard in a secluded area covered by summoned guards, fight through a huge mansion and find the wizard doesn't want to fight, and is very confused why these rude people are interrupting his research.

If they don't follow that, I'll just wing it and do what ever they want to do. It looks like they want to explore the whole Mack / Fin thing.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
My point is that you can do both!

Mack and Finn's old pub was destroyed after a bunch of the monstrously corrupted animals smashed up their hometown. Destitute, they were offered shelter by an abbey of strange monks: the monks give them food and water in exchange for them helping around the place and sharing the monks' kinda-odd rituals that didn't seem to correspond to any god they knew.

In time, the monks made them an offer: their faith wasn't widely accepted and they wanted to get the word out, but needed somewhere to operate out of. They offered Mack and Finn the money to open up a bar, if the monks let them use it as a safehouse.

In actuality, the monks are worshippers of the demons that are coming through the rifts (the demons use them when they need a human face to do diplomacy on their behalf) and they're using the basement as a place to hide out between missions. Finn and Mack have figured this out now, but they can't agree on whether to go to the authorities about it: Finn wants to, but Mack is afraid of retaliation from the monks and being implicated in their crimes.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Anyone have a good idea or slogan for an (Incan themed) Dwarven variant of the "Uncle Sam wants you!" recruitment campaign? It's a little background flavor detail I'd like to add but I keep having this mental block over it.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Soylent Pudding posted:

Anyone have a good idea or slogan for an (Incan themed) Dwarven variant of the "Uncle Sam wants you!" recruitment campaign? It's a little background flavor detail I'd like to add but I keep having this mental block over it.

men dwarves

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

If they don't follow that, I'll just wing it and do what ever they want to do. It looks like they want to explore the whole Mack / Fin thing.

Fin's voice has been magically stolen and is being used to sing the song that is letting the evil in

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AceClown posted:

Fin's voice has been magically stolen and is being used to sing the song that is letting the evil in
Combine that one with the music box. Her tongue could be used to sing that song, it's in the box, and some villain knows and is after the box now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually I got one about my own plot/character development. Some backstory in bullet points:

- I dropped all the regular D&D non-physical planes of existence in my setting and merged them all into a vaguely defined astral realm that can be anything we want
- The Kalashtar bard's unique feature is that she hears voices from the spirit realm. We've adapted the Kalashtar backstory so that the astral realm also serves as the home of dream creatures. We're also not exactly sticking to established Eberron lore.
- I've cleverly set things up so it's established that the bard is kind of the glue that holds the party together. Both for 4E's leader mechanics and because they all met saving her from Dreaming Dark guys, are joined in a telepathy circle now, etc.
- Her motivation for adventuring is that she's from a Kalashtar settlement and looking for the only known other settlement, maybe they know what's with the voices.

Most importantly: I've talked to the player and got her blessings on doing stuff with the character that's "a bit out there." I want to drop some major bombshell on the group here. Here's what I'm considering is going on behind the scenes and waiting in the future:

A long time ago, the Kalashtar from the settlement she's looking for went to kill a dangerous dragon*. However, that dragon had a boss, a more powerful dragon, who destroyed the settlement in revenge**. The Kalashtar managed to enter a state of meditation before destruction hit and their souls are now stuck in the spirit realm. Watching the boss dragon's plan unfold***, they decided to counteract it. The only thing they could do was create a dream or illusion that was so detailed it could think and act for itself, with the goal of gathering some people around it that would eventually become strong enough to defeat boss dragon. This shared dream would appear as a real person to anyone who met it, including itself - it would simply spring into existence, make up memories for its former life, and act independently, albeit guided by the Kalashtar souls' voices. It couldn't be aware that it wasn't a real person, or the evil Dreaming Dark spirits would find it.

The more astute of you will have figured out who that dream is and that there's not really another settlement. So, out there and plot-twisty enough, or should I drop some mushrooms and consider it some more? :v:

*The undead remains of which were the chapter boss for a past adventure.
**This also shut down a nearby Dwarven trade passage, which they're currently looking for.
***Pass himself off as the god who empowered the seven royal families and become secret ruler of basically the known civilized world. Kind of a biggie.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I swear to god I love Goons sometimes.

These plot ideas are all great and I'm planning to use all of them

I had a different question now, has anyone (in 13th age, or DND or the like,) broken a singular mega monster into a bunch of parts, and giving each part initiative / health / etc. So for example, you're fighting a Kraken, you have 8 "skirmisher" tentacles statted out to have the AC, HP, and initiative of a similar (or lower,) level monster. Then you have the Kraken Body which is a "brute" with a magic attack that has a recharge and a bite that's kind of weak, but can proc on anyone adjacent to a tentacle. It can move a certain distance from the Tentacle monsters.

Are there ideas out there for good ways to do that? I know it does effectively double / triple their attack, but if you do HP properly, and everything is statted as an on point equivalent level monster, can it still be balanced?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I swear to god I love Goons sometimes.

These plot ideas are all great and I'm planning to use all of them

I had a different question now, has anyone (in 13th age, or DND or the like,) broken a singular mega monster into a bunch of parts, and giving each part initiative / health / etc. So for example, you're fighting a Kraken, you have 8 "skirmisher" tentacles statted out to have the AC, HP, and initiative of a similar (or lower,) level monster. Then you have the Kraken Body which is a "brute" with a magic attack that has a recharge and a bite that's kind of weak, but can proc on anyone adjacent to a tentacle. It can move a certain distance from the Tentacle monsters.

Are there ideas out there for good ways to do that? I know it does effectively double / triple their attack, but if you do HP properly, and everything is statted as an on point equivalent level monster, can it still be balanced?

It's no different than an encounter with multiple monsters so as long as you're balancing the encounter around the idea that these are, for example, nine separate monsters and not one big one, you should be fine.

The only problem is that presumably if you defeat the 'trunk' of the monster, the whole thing dies. So you have to make sure that the players have a reason to want to attack the other parts or else they're just going to focus down the body, it's the most efficient course of action. Some kind of persistent defense boost based on the number of remaining parts might be a good idea; maybe the thing gets a bonus to defense for each remaining tentacle, or based on the number of remaining tentacles (1/3 for instance).

A DnD encounter with 9 monsters sounds both terrifying and tedious so you'd want to keep an eye on that too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

Yes, and in fact it will often be more balanced than a single large boss monster, because of the action economy.

Also don't feel like you're obliged to make it a "large" monster. It could be a man-sized Lich or whatever, because that's what the mechanics need for the narrative to fit (that it is a challenging fight against a significant enemy).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've done a couple multi-part big boss monsters in my 13A campaign: The Iron Lord's Sarcophagus, a waist-up giant golem guy and The final form of the Lich King as basically Andross.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many monsters do you run for a 4 or 5 man group?

I normally use 4 - 7 mooks and 3 - 4 regular monsters.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Depending on how the party's resources are doing, I generally went with the book's guidelines except treating the party size as between 2 PCs larger for a regular fight to twice as large for something hard. This is in five or six person party with great healing and a few tough characters (plus a few house rules that contributed to PC power), so I started with the book guidelines and gradually evolved them into what I used. I generally tried to limit fights to two or three "kinds" of monsters and just fit them into the budget, whether each kind a whole bunch of mooks, a handful of normal enemies of roughly the parties level, one or two large/huge guys, or one or two guys that are normal but 2-3 levels above the party. Mooks can deal a bunch of damage but bad initiative could also mean the sorcerer fries all of them before they get a turn so sometimes I'd have an encounter start a bit under my budget and then add a few PC's worth of mooks after a few turns passed. Things you add later in the encounter count as less in the budget by my reckoning since the PCs will have the Escalation Die on their side, plus whatever buffs/misc synergies they've got going.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mendrian posted:

The only problem is that presumably if you defeat the 'trunk' of the monster, the whole thing dies. So you have to make sure that the players have a reason to want to attack the other parts or else they're just going to focus down the body, it's the most efficient course of action. Some kind of persistent defense boost based on the number of remaining parts might be a good idea; maybe the thing gets a bonus to defense for each remaining tentacle, or based on the number of remaining tentacles (1/3 for instance).
Tentacles could intercept like fighters, and/or get a free attack on PCs who go for the body like 4E fighters.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Tentacles could intercept like fighters, and/or get a free attack on PCs who go for the body like 4E fighters.

You could also have some that cast healing spells, or a movement-themed one that throws melee fighters away or pulls ranged sorts and casters in so that others can beat on them.

Just make them annoying to the PCs /somehow/, even if they could theoretically tough it out, they'll get the message.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm stealing the hell out of this by the way, I always considered the kraken fight with tentacles as separate creatures a staple of RPGs. Even though we're currently in a subterranean passage and in fact just came off a short sea trip where nothing much happened. Kinda dropped the ball on that one, now that I think about it.

e: and we just came from a water-based dungeon where I didn't have an idea for an end boss too. What the hell.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 24, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Underwater Cisterns and Water Tables are known to have Fish and other wild life in the real world, I'm not sure why a drop into a larger drink could bring a larger fish...

(My favorite 4e moment was having players fight a squid in the UnderDark.)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That, or do the Hydra thing. The secondary heads/fighters are pretty easy to kill, and each kill each hurts a body a little, but both the body and heads have regeneration. The idea is to make the heads a constant source of trouble, making careful maneuvering important while you deal with the main body. It's also good to have a secondary method if you know and can leverage the weak point of the monster (for the hydra, some sort of head-stump killing, as usual).

I was in a D&D 3.5 party of four level 4's, and we managed to kill a fire hydra boss oddly simply. I had a fire resistance spell and tanked fire spit shots while wailing on the body (which did basically nothing), while my mage friend whittled down head HP until he could kill every head at once with an AoE spell, overriding the regen.

Given our lack of stump-withering abilities at the time, it turned into a bit of a puzzle boss.

Other things can work with the same formula- make a Painless Giant whose limbs have their own HP and have a fixed amount of regeneration distributed over all parts. The safest way to kill it is to disable the limbs and expose a critical area while the regen is focused on the damaged parts.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

So she's Tidus from Final Fantasy 10?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

... I GUESS SHE IS, ISN'T SHE

Eh, stealing from the best. For a certain definition of best. Hmm. Maybe I'll subtly probe my group and if anyone has played FFX I can do something like, they took this idea and put it into the body of some random washed-up musician. Actually that's closer to established Kalashtar lore anyway.

e: it's a pretty good thing these two approaches only differ in a small detail, so I can start dropping hints already.

e2: oh poo poo, I just realized that this whole idea solves a long-standing problem I had. The dwarven passage has been out of commission for centuries, and this is supposed to have happened with the destruction of the settlement. It always seemed weird that the bard would have heard about a settlement that had been gone for so long, so I always avoided setting a firm timeline, but if these are just her created memories - like, the dream spirit they made knows there used to be a settlement, but nothing about actual history, so it just makes up that it's heard of it in its youth...

drat I love when things come together like that. Wasn't even looking for a solution to that. Now I actually have to go ahead and establish that the timing doesn't make sense, so they'll have something to chew on until further revelations.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 25, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mendrian posted:

The only problem is that presumably if you defeat the 'trunk' of the monster, the whole thing dies.

this is a really simulationist problem. in a game where HP is not meat ponts it should mean it cant take "trunk" actions /loses a turn and maybe a bonus like having it's powers recharge a bit slower or maybe it can't recover anymore cause the wind was knocked out of it, oorr have all 5 parts share an HP bar

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elfgames posted:

this is a really simulationist problem. in a game where HP is not meat ponts it should mean it cant take "trunk" actions /loses a turn and maybe a bonus like having it's powers recharge a bit slower or maybe it can't recover anymore cause the wind was knocked out of it, oorr have all 5 parts share an HP bar

13th Age solves this quite nicely with Mooks, which are minions, but with group health. Each minion gets X% of HP from the group health, and die one at a time. You'd just make the beak of the kraken it's own mook, and if they break the beak / eye Then it doesn't get that magic attack anymore.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Elfgames posted:

It is a simulationist problem but those kinds of problems are on a sliding scale. Like players have expectations of what's going to happen when they kill stuff and I'd just want to follow through on that setup. But you're right, it's not like it's a requirement.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I'm going to run a one-shot tomorrow in the streamlined D6 system Lasers and Feelings (thanks to Dareon for mentioning this in the thread sometime way back). Asking as a beginner GM, does anyone see any major problems that may arise due to the mechanics?

vv e: Good enough, just as I hoped.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 27, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Zomborgon posted:

I'm going to run a one-shot tomorrow in the streamlined D6 system Lasers and Feelings (thanks to Dareon for mentioning this in the thread sometime way back). Asking as a beginner GM, does anyone see any major problems that may arise due to the mechanics?

There are no mechanics. Follow the rules and make the players feel cool.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My pathfinder campaign isn’t going well. I made a custom setting that doesn’t have the normal tropes of a D&D game and I’m finding it hard to make adventures/villains/engaging encounters. If I can, I’d like to try to sum up my campaign, what I’m trying to do, and what problems I’m having; I’d appreciate any advice you’d have. I don’t want to give up on this game, but I need some help both fleshing out the setting and finding a way to slowly reveal the origin/purpose of the game world.

The game is basically taking place in a version of ancient rome that’s a ghostly ruin populated by the recently dead brought here across the history of the ancient world.

The problems boil down into two main things:

The city's empty. Rome is divided into 14 districts and while I’ve tried to make about a faction per district both the city and the factions feel poorly defined. I’m having a problem where, after 14 or so play sessions, most of the “human” factions seem pretty much on board with helping the party, leaving only about a few ‘monster’ factions to oppose them. I wanted more politics/factionalism.

The setting is “mysterious” but I’m having trouble revealing the mystery; who made this city, why, how do they players get out of here / fix this

Ok, I’m going to have to dive into what the game is all about. I’ll separate these into quotes.

Text dump of setting/mechanics posted:

The main inspirations for the setting are Dark Souls, Wraith, Mordheim, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. When the game started I had the players pick a 3rd level character, a culture and social station loosely based on historical settings (I just name swapped stuff like Imperial Rome, Ancient Egypt, Vikings, etc). The players were all from various pseudo-historical “realistic” times and places - they didn’t come into the game world from a place where magic was ‘real’ (but then again they did because ancient people believed in magic, but you know, they didn’t come Grey Hawk into Ravenholm). The characters all remember dying or being in a situation where they could have died and then they ‘wake up’ in a strange place.

The setting is a ruined city based on the city of Rome and Constantinople; I cribbed a map of Rome, named it Constantius (founded by Valerian empress Constance), and made it a costal fortress city like Constantinople.

Here’s where the influences start: the City is ruined and empty like Mordheim, a dangerous urban wilderness filled with monsters. Like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. the players explore this dangerous place freeform, looking for treasure but also just trying to manage the various factions and figure out why they’re here. Oh yeah, you can’t leave the city because it’s surrounded on 3 sides by water and in both the water and the grey waste outside the city are just huge monsters that will kill you.

Also like in that game there are occasional storms called Maelstroms that, like the emissions in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., require everyone to hide inside. The Maelstroms, like resting at a bonfire in Dark Souls, also ‘resets’ the city. Monsters come back and the layout of the city changes: basic geographic concepts remain the same ex: building X is always due south a ways from landmark Y, but the particulars of the streets change. When the city resets it also repopulates the insentient monsters that occupy most of the city.

The only places that aren’t affected by Maelstroms are areas that have special fountains, which are pretty much the bonfires of Dark Souls. I also created a ‘humanity’ mechanic where humanity damage ticks up like subdual, except it only heals a hit dice a day spent resting at/near a fountain. Also, every day that you rest you have to ‘eat’ 1 cp per total HP you have, dissolving the coins in the fountain water and drinking it. The coins aren’t actually money, they’re “pathos” slugs (like in wraith, the currency in my game is pathos, objects imbued with/created by the humanity/emotions/soul of living people.) Every time your humanity damage reaches a multiple of your total HP it’s bad; 1st multiple is just you go pathos hungry and eat a bunch of coins, but after that it becomes level drain. Take too much humanity damage you go ‘ragged’, essentially the hollow of dark souls.

The game is basically about exploring the city, trying to figure out why it exists, and dealing with the “innate” monsters, the other “human” factions, and the “villain” factions.

Origin of the setting, “the mystery” posted:

I was dabbling with Plato and that’s where the idea of the ‘why and how’ of the setting came from. I didn’t start with this, I started with “I want a setting like Dark Souls” and came up with this explanation later. Some of it I’ve changed because I’m making a game world and not a summary of the Timeaus/the Republic, some of I’ve changed because I don’t know what I’m talking about. :v:

Ok so there was a “Demiurge”, a craftsman, who builds the world. The Demiurge creates everything, but he bases his work on the “forms” (perfect conceptual versions of things, emotions, actions) that exist above and beyond what the Demiurge makes. This Demiurge receives prompting from the thoughts that emanate out from a “GodHead”. The Godhead is immoral/inhuman/inscrutable, sort of like the way Yahweh gets portrayed when he rebukes Job, whereas the Demiurge is more of a personfied god-figure with hopes and fears, etc.

The Godhead makes the Demiurge build a world, build people, but also destroy them, recreate them, etc etc. This is the “real world” that we live in/the players came from.

So the Demiurge gets sick of doing this, the constant creation and destruction, and decides he doesn’t need the “forms” from which he makes the world and if he can just get the Godhead to shut up then the Demiurge can make a perfect, ideal, unchanging world, and he can stop the cycle of creation/destruction the Godhead keeps forcing on him/the world.

With that goal in mind, the Demiurge seals up the link between the material world he’s made and the godhead, allowing the Demiurge to create a perfect and changeless world without having to tear and down and start over again from prompting from the Godhead.

This all happens far in the past (or maybe it’s all taking place ‘outside of time’?) of the setting: The Demiurge basically goes back through time and takes all the things he liked best, his ‘greatest hits’, and makes a perfect utopia. It’s great for a while but the Godhead is basically a force of nature and it can’t be bottled up forever. At some point the Godhead is banging hard on the seal between it and the world, and the Demiurge decides he has to go seal it up more. He gathers his best children and leads them up into Heaven to seal up/stop the Godhead. It doesn’t really work, the Demiurge and his greatest children are destroyed, and the seal starts to leak.

At this point we’re in the ‘present day’ of the setting. The city is like a partly shaken etch-a-sketch, the thoughts of the Godhead come pouring out the seal, mix with the shattered souls of the Demiurge and his children, and come into the city through a tear in the sky as hurricanes full of lost souls. The Demiurge, which itself was also lesser than the Godhead, and by extension his children, are all hosed up from being broken apart/getting raged upon by the Godhead. So now the city is full of crazy angry ‘people’ that want to put the now pissed Demiurge back together so he can, I dunno, kick over his own sand castle and take his ball and go home. So the party doesn’t really know it, but the ‘non human’ factions that are loving with them are trying to put the Demiurge back together so he can go on a rampage or something, I dunno I literally just thought that up while writing all this out.

I figure the end of the game is going to be whether or not they want to:

1) Seal up the Godhead better, making a world that finally stops completely. Heat death?

2) Tear up the seal and let the Godhead’s thoughts pour through but without a Demiurge to shape its “desires”. Total Chaos? Thoughts without bodies?

3) Take the place of the Demiurge and go back to shaping the world? I guess this is the “hybrid” answer from ME3? Back to a ‘normal world’? Would this also be the end of magic?

I know those endings are a little overwrought/big picture, but my plan was to run a pathfinder game out to level 20 and (while I know there are epic levels beyond that) by the time you’re level 20 in pathfinder I’m ready to just wrap it all up and have you literally kill god or something.

Wayward Factions posted:

These are ‘normal’ people like the players. They died, came here, now they try to survive in the city and avoid going ragged.

WarDogs. Warriors - Medieval footmen. Live in the grand forum at the Palatine, tend to hire themselves out to other factions. These guys have been real buddy buddy with the party when they’re supposed to be neutral without being dicks. I need to work more to fracture the politics of the factions.

Scintillare. Priests - blind with bandaged eyes, holding unlit lanterns. Can see the fragments of the Demiurge that come down from heaven during Maelstroms. Live right next to the party and are pretty chill with them but are also a smaller group.

Sun Touched House - Explorers. Basically a group of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style characters, these are the people who first introduced the party to the game world. Has the most developed characters but the party doesn’t seem to give much of a poo poo about them, I think because 2/3rds of them are either worthless or untrustworthy. Also it’s a weak faction.

Tacitus. NPC sage. Trying to figure out what this world is all about, Lived in the Campus Martius which was overrun, moves around now.

Dextro. Orc assassin/mercenary. He was helping the charioteers fight the party earlier in the setting and though he was defeated the WarDogs convinced the players to give him a fair parley instead of just killing him. This is something I want more in the game: wayward factions that oppose the party and complicate the game world without it turning into total war.

Balda’s Huscarls. Warriors. Lived on the eastern shore and had the only boats. Hard drinking viking warriors that can make a mead that is a better version of fountain water. Most of them were killed or captured by the Scrivener, which I need to fix because I really did plan on the party using their mead.

Sheol Wanderers. Mages. Live along the Via Latta. They’re pretty sure this is the afterlife so why not make the best of it.

White Cloaks. Archers - English longbowman. Lived in the Campus Martius which got overrun. They got plot decimated and now mostly work for a party member who has the leadership feat.

Charioteers. Fighters - tattoos, bare chests, playing drums on the backs of Chariots. Live in the Piscina Publica near the party. The first enemy faction the party really dealt with. They’re basically a fantasy version of the Fury Road guys, they love to ride around on Chariots and kill people.

Zandi’s Arbalesters - Persian crossbowman. New Faction, I have them both being reasonable to the party and also allying with the Charioteers because I’m trying to keep the politics of the gameworld fractured instead of just having the party glob together.

Corca’ean. Warriors - celtic swordsmen. New faction, I have them looting an area near one of the villain factions so they can come back with some lore later.

Sons of Attica. Warriors - Hoplites. New faction, I have them looting an area near one of the villain factions so they can come back with some lore later.

Ashdonbal’s Children - Cannanite slingers. New faction, I have them looting an area near one of the villain factions so they can come back with some lore later.

Villain Factions posted:

These were groups or individuals that were present in the Utopian days of the setting and went crazy when the Demiurge was destroyed and his angry soul first started raining down in the Maelstroms

Pyre Priests. Necromancers. The original bad guys of the setting. They hang out at a light house on the edge of the city, burning a big mystical fire on the top. They throw people into the fire and burn away their body to make Pyre Infantry skeletons. The guard the gate that leads into Heaven where the seal is.

This is where Malestroms come from, out of the gate. The Pyre Priests are making skeletons like crazy (they can get hundreds of corpses from gaveyards every time the city resets) and sending them into the gate to try to stop things. These are the only undead of the game and though I haven’t really shown this to the players yet, undead don’t give a poo poo about Maelstroms because they’ve achieved, in a hosed up way, the “stasis” the Demiurge was looking for.

Mechanically they’re 3 liches leading about a 1,000 skeletons and a few hundred more specialized troops. As the party leveled they’ve gone from being unapproachably dangerous to “the party teleported to the roof to the tower and almost killed them all except I decided there could also be a demi lich poking around in heaven who came out to see what was wrong. The party hasn’t managed to destroy/find their phylacteries yet though so at least the liches keep coming back.

I like this guys a lot and the party enjoys hating them, but I need to make them….DO something. Like have them go around the city sticky their noseholes into things.

Scriveners. Artificers. These guys make golems and things to do their bidding. I’m dabling with Wind Waker style islands out beyond the city and that’s where these guys live. I thought it would be a good place to hide the Demiurge’s body while he gets reassembled. Whereas the Pyre Priests are ‘holding the line’ of trying to keep the godhead from just tearing the city apart, the Scriveners are going around looking for the pieces of the demiurge.

Mechanically they’re NPC mages and priests backed up by construct type monsters. I just made them so their monsters are much more in line with the 12 level party, which means I can use a lot less of them. Combine that with the Jewels Verne submarines they have and they’re good for sneaking around the game world looking into stuff.

Neutral Characters posted:

Silent Queen. Sorceress. I haven’t done anything with her yet, I just thought a mage in a tower loving with the characters would be good. So far I’m thinking she’s more of an observer who wants to swoop in at the last second and claim something. Maybe she thinks she can become the best Demiurge and is waiting around for the right time to steal the body from the Scriveners?

Claudius. A huge animated statue of Emperor Claudius. He’s in the game world but hasn’t done much yet. He doesn’t know who he really is why he’s alive, but he’s really strong and I figure he likes to project the weak. So far all the party knows about him is that he’s been fighting the Pyre Priests skeletons in the street and currently agitating for an alliance with various wayward factions to go kill the priests. I haven’t figure out why that is? Maybe Claudius has been around long enough to know what they’re up to? If so, why does he know it but others don’t? Why is there a ‘memory horizon’ in the setting (which is a thing I’ve brought up before in game but haven’t explained, either to the players or myself).

Macelar. A demon. The Butcher from Diablo 1. I made him because I wanted him, I don’t have a clue who he is. The party has heard of him but hasn’t met him. Maybe he’s a piece of the Demiurge that’s already up and running, ready to kill everything? Could be a clue for the party that the Demiurge is not a nice guy anymore.

Ok guys, so that’s most of what’s going on in the game world right now in terms of backstory and setting. Very quick briefing on what the party’s up to: They’ve met and helped many of the wayward factions, established a base form themselves, and fought the pyre priests to a stand still. They also got a boat, sailed out into the ocean, and met the scriveners. The boat had Demiurge artifacts in it’s hold (size gargantuan hand tools) that were stolen from the scriveners. The scriveners have come from their island fortress to the city looking for the artifacts but have been repulsed so far.

My game starts in a couple hours, I run it from 4pm-2amish every other Saturday. The party is planning on asking Tacitus what he knows about the Scriveners and giant tools. I’m thinking that’s going to turn into a general war council in which they try to convince people to fight the pyre priests. I don’t actually want the pyre priests out of the setting yet so I plan on strengthening them with the pathfinder monster Lead Skeleton which will be a joint project/gift from the Scriveners, which will be the first clue the party has that they work together.

What I’d like to do in the future, after I run this session, is flesh out the characters of the factions better, and the locations/bases where they live. I think I need to take my spreadsheet, which currently has a disorganized ‘character’ tab, and make 1 tab per faction and put the faction specific characters there.

As I said at the beginning which I really need help with two things: fleshing out the setting and helping reveal the background (and thus the overall goal of the gameworld). I know I just typed out a huge wall of text but if anyone could look over it I’d appreciate any advice or feedback they could give me. Just typing it out all out has given me some ideas and helped me clarify a few things.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Alright, so I need a "is this going to be fun to play" check. I'm not sure if the plot is too... railroady. The theory is that there's a big evil extra-dimensional creature called a World Eater.

The World Eater, as the name indicates eats the World. Not every world, just this one, in every timeline. You see the World Eater exists outside of time and space, it sits outside the timeline and sends in its tendrils, called The Organizer, The Provider and The Evil into the world it intends to eat to set up things. The World Eater's nature means that it can't just interact with a world normally. In order to be able to eat a world, it needs a specific thing to happen, that is, it needs a ritual. One of the requirements of the ritual is that heroes must succeed in stopping a great evil. An evil that could destroy the world. Which is what the Organizer, the Provider and The Evil have to set up, a great disaster that heroes must rise and prevent.

So all this leads up to the heroes facing down The Evil, on a suitably epic environment, like say inside a volcano that is being pumped into a world ending explosion, where the Evil reveals that, yes, they can defeat him, but if they do, the World Eater will eat the world. This bitter perfect despair is essential for the ritual to be complete. The Evil explains that this always happens, there are always heroes, and the heroes *always* stop him. Its simply the way things are. This explains why there have always been convenient threats following them around, because Evil has been making it so, to groom the heroes, maybe even helping them out from time to time. Sure, the heroes can refuse to fight, but then the world ends...

Regardless of what the heroes pick, they get to see the doom unfold, but seconds before they would die, or perhaps even after they're dead, they're snatched up by the elemental force that represents the World, this World. Its fighting back, it's weak from all the worlds that have been consumed, so all it can do is shunt the players back in time a year. That's all, and then the force is consumed by paradox. Now the heroes have to find a way to stop the final confrontation, some way to meddle in their own timeline, some way to stop the volcano and the confrontation. Its crucial, because the World Eater must eat, if they can cut it off here, avoid the ritual coming to a close, it will starve. Now, the PCs can just stop themseleves from fighting Evil. The volcano will explode and kill everyone and everything, but the World Eater will be stopped, but maybe there's a third road, a way to save everyone...

Good, bad, too railroady?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It sounds super cool and like something I'd want to play. From a random player's perspective, I don't think it sounds very railroady at all. Sounds like you got the big points you wanna hit laid out, its just a matter of using a light hand to guide the players that way, which could work pretty well with what you say about the Evil setting the heroes up to succeed. The only thing that makes me pause is when the players die and are whisked back in time. I have two suggestions: One is be completely straight forward with the players and be like "hey, you guys gotta die for plot reasons," but stress to them that they won't be losing out on anything. Another suggestion would be to maybe not necessarily "kill" them via mechanics, but via narrative, and quickly lead into the whole "being resurrected a year earlier" thing. You could even have them keep their current gears and experience via magickery.

But I am also less allergic to railroady games than others may be as long as whats happening is interesting/exciting and I'm having fun with whats going on so my ideas and thoughts on the matter may be completely wrong and bad.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
A typical Dear Abby letter is 180 words. You're at 3090. Please, please simplify your problem.

My general advice for worldbuilding is read the http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/gamemastering, especially The World section.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TheCog posted:

Good, bad, too railroady?
I too am down with railroady plots that are fun and I think this one sounds extremely cool. You'll want to think about what point this is in the whole campaign though - like, is it the halfway point and the actual final confrontation will take as long to play to as the game until now, or is it more the twist shortly before the ending and the whole year-in-the-past deal is more like the final dungeon? If it's a completely out of nowhere twist your players might expect to hit the finale soon.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

With respect to keeping the various factions interesting, it could be useful to keep in mind that, with Pathos being likely quite scarce, each of the various factions (friendly or not) needs to find their own source of income. Maybe they're individually okay with helping out the players, but is every one of them on board with helping all the other ones? Having one major ally means you have to divide your resources in half. For smaller factions, for whom hunger isn't as much of an issue, that might not be a big deal. What about having ten allies, though? What about the factions large enough that they need to have as much as they can?

In short, it might help to consider the individual needs of each faction, and just compare and contrast them with one another to find potential sources of conflict. If everyone got along with everyone else, there would only be one faction in the first place.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

My pathfinder campaign isn’t going well. I made a custom setting that doesn’t have the normal tropes of a D&D game and I’m finding it hard to make adventures/villains/engaging encounters. If I can, I’d like to try to sum up my campaign, what I’m trying to do, and what problems I’m having; I’d appreciate any advice you’d have. I don’t want to give up on this game, but I need some help both fleshing out the setting and finding a way to slowly reveal the origin/purpose of the game world.
Don't give up hope. You actually got some good things going here.

quote:

The problems boil down into two main things:

The city's empty. Rome is divided into 14 districts and while I’ve tried to make about a faction per district both the city and the factions feel poorly defined. I’m having a problem where, after 14 or so play sessions, most of the “human” factions seem pretty much on board with helping the party, leaving only about a few ‘monster’ factions to oppose them. I wanted more politics/factionalism.
First note: the human factions may all agree on the common goal with the players, but each faction may also have secondary goals based on ideology/greed/grudge/etc. Each faction may weigh the common goal as more or less important than their other goals. Perhaps some of your factions even have their own internal power struggles. It is these non-common goals that will be the source of conflict within the tenuous alliance with the players.

Another thing is that you have a good mechanic going in the Maelstrom. Having this baked-in reset button lets you not only respawn monsters but potentially shake up politics as such-and-such important person was unlucky enough to be caught in the open (perhaps a plot was involved!) and now the power structure of faction X is totally shaken up! Maybe the players need to make peace (the interest is in negotiating a compromise). Maybe the players need to pick sides (the interest is in their choice of faction - make it interesting grey area/moral-choice and not just obviously one faction being right).

quote:

The setting is “mysterious” but I’m having trouble revealing the mystery; who made this city, why, how do they players get out of here / fix this
If the players are not actively digging - i.e. they are less interested in the GUMSHOE than banging on monsters - just feed it to them. If they ARE interested, use the principles from investigative game design and make sure that wherever they are looking, well that just happens to be the spot of some important information!

quote:

Ok, I’m going to have to dive into what the game is all about. I’ll separate these into quotes.
This is all too much information. Unless they are furious note-takers, your players will forget most of what they learn about the world each session except for the broad strokes, so try to keep you own preparation in broad strokes and be prepared to reiterate important expository beats.

quote:

Ok guys, so that’s most of what’s going on in the game world right now in terms of backstory and setting. Very quick briefing on what the party’s up to: They’ve met and helped many of the wayward factions, established a base form themselves, and fought the pyre priests to a stand still. They also got a boat, sailed out into the ocean, and met the scriveners. The boat had Demiurge artifacts in it’s hold (size gargantuan hand tools) that were stolen from the scriveners. The scriveners have come from their island fortress to the city looking for the artifacts but have been repulsed so far.

My game starts in a couple hours, I run it from 4pm-2amish every other Saturday. The party is planning on asking Tacitus what he knows about the Scriveners and giant tools. I’m thinking that’s going to turn into a general war council in which they try to convince people to fight the pyre priests. I don’t actually want the pyre priests out of the setting yet so I plan on strengthening them with the pathfinder monster Lead Skeleton which will be a joint project/gift from the Scriveners, which will be the first clue the party has that they work together.
TMI. Just remember that your maelstroms give you a good excuse to not just respawn monsters but also spawn new tougher monsters.

quote:

What I’d like to do in the future, after I run this session, is flesh out the characters of the factions better, and the locations/bases where they live. I think I need to take my spreadsheet, which currently has a disorganized ‘character’ tab, and make 1 tab per faction and put the faction specific characters there.
All each faction needs is a collage that defines a group identity, goals, and personality and an NPC leader or two that represent the group to the players. Your players will not remember all the details so just give them (and yourself) the highlights. Only fill in details like what the interiors of their houses look like by improvising as needed in the moment.

quote:

As I said at the beginning which I really need help with two things: fleshing out the setting and helping reveal the background (and thus the overall goal of the gameworld). I know I just typed out a huge wall of text but if anyone could look over it I’d appreciate any advice or feedback they could give me. Just typing it out all out has given me some ideas and helped me clarify a few things.
As Golden Bee mentioned, take a look at Dungeon World's game mastering section. This is actually great RPG-independent advice for any campaign. You don't need to use strict Fronts and Steads as-written, but the idea of running the world as a simple state machine is great: have a high-level plot or two that is just defined by its consequences and beats of progression, have a few mid-level plots going on at all times that are defined by their consequences and a few beats of progression, define cities/factions with just a few important details, make up everything else as-needed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks for all your help guys; it's clear I've been trying to minutely track far too much 'behind the scenes' stuff. When I used to run games I mostly made things up on the spot and it seemed to work better than this.

I'm going to retool my game with a lot less overhead, working in broad strokes. I'm looking into that Dungeon World game. Me and my friends like 'rules heavy' games but as a GM tools the 'fronts' idea seems great; like how Cyberpunk has very complicated play rules but the GM has a "trick" for tracking organizations as though they were single characters.

My group is going to switch over to another GM for now, I and a few other players aren't happy with how the Pathfinder mechanics are treating the game world, but when I'm ready I'm going to try the setting again with a smaller scale game system and we'll see how it goes. Thanks again guys, I'm going to keep reading this thread and I'll let you know how it goes next time.

Also I couldn't get the link for Dungeon World's GM section to work, but I think this it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I designed a dungeon outline. Would love to hear how it sounds.

Setting: The old abandoned Dwarven mines.
Goal: Traverse the mines and reach the legendary lost Dwarven city. Also, prepare for a battle with some ancient evil that's supposed to be lurking there.

The mines have long been abandoned by any civilized race. They're mainly home to a colony of myconids, but a few other creatures have settled here as well - gargoyles, mimics, rust monsters and some unique creatures.
[The myconids are my foot soldiers, the bulk of every combat encounter. Simple and with distinctive attacks. There may even be three-way encounters with the myconids caring little whether they attack PCs or other nonmyconids, but being alien mushroom people they can't really be reasoned with. At least not right away...]

Entering the mining hub there's a combat right away. After that the area is free to explore. The party will soon find out that the tunnel to the city has collapsed, but there's a rail-mounted mining drill nearby. Few problems, though: it needs a power source for locomotion, a heat source for drilling, and there are frequent earthquakes that make driving any vehicle along the rails a dicey proposition. There are also three mining shafts. [Classic LucasArts setup.]

Shaft 1: closed off with huge warning signs. Rust monsters live here off the iron ore, which has made the walls unstable and prone to collapse. If the party fights their way through the monsters, they'll find the remains of a mining golem with an intact power source.
Shaft 2: home to a roper. If the party recognizes and talks to it, it will offer them a deal: free passage if they deliver the myconid colony mastermind, the only actually sentient member of the colony and also the tastiest. Whether they take the deal or fight it, past the roper there's a volcanic cave where thoqqua dwell - fire elemental worms that make an excellent heat source, if you can capture enough of them while they set the volcanic gasses down here on fire.
Shaft 3: at the bottom of this shaft lurks a bulette, responsible for the earthquakes. The party can also take a detour to find the myconid main colony here.

Notes:
- The mining golem could be reactivated if they carry its skeleton all the way to the city and find a new shell and alternative power source. It would be very helpful in battling the ancient evil.
- If the party takes out the roper, the myconid mastermind would be grateful and send a few soldiers with the party. Another edge in the battle vs. ancient evil.
- Actually that's a bit of a tricky one, cause this seems like it would pacify the myconids as a whole, but I don't want to redo my other encounter setups if they do this first. Maybe they're not all one colony?
- Need an additional on-the-way encounter for shaft 3.
- There will be old weapons and armor and stuff to find in the hub if the party loses any equipment to the rust monsters. There will also be nonmetallic equipment if they want to play it safe.
e: additional encounter could be something where nonmetallic equipment also helps. Something something magnets.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 6, 2016