Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Octolady posted:

Judging by comments on batoto the next chapter is the last one, not sure if that's the case but I'd like it to have a satisfying ending rather than run for another few years

That's actually really disappointing. The author makes some good changes to the characters and ends it 4ight after, boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I managed to catch up on Akatsuki no Yona. A few thoughts:

* I wonder if Hak will gain dragon powers like the others.

* Zeno's backstory is sad. And I wonder if his body is resistant to poisons.

* I took a brief look at Korea's history and learned about the 3 Kingdoms. I wonder if Yona and the others will take control of Xing (Silla) and then conquer the other kingdoms.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
HAK is already absurdly powerful as is. So powerful that my phone automatically autocorrects his name to all caps. :v:

But really, I think it's great that he doesn't have mystical powers since he acts as the grounding element to Yona's journey. Well, technically that'd be Yoon, but whatever. Hak and Yona can continue to be cute together while Soo Won just goes away.

Zeno was definitely the most random dragon introduction (like how he shows up near the final episode of the anime lol), but his backstory definitely made me like him more. Dragon rankings would be Shinha + Ao > Zeno = Jaeha >>> Kija.

Sorry Kija, I like you and all, but I like the other dragons more...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's some lovely old school shoujo (from 1986!). its tagged as shoujo-ai, but not all of the 4 protagonists are gay. its rather more uncensored than many recent shoujo with open talk about sex and smoking

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nondevor posted:

Zeno was definitely the most random dragon introduction (like how he shows up near the final episode of the anime lol), but his backstory definitely made me like him more.

It was literally the last episode, so good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zeno's intro makes perfect sense once you find out what his deal is.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

speaking of yona

http://bato.to/reader#2aad3e1f9166534b

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yona is such a great MC. Cool as a cucumber.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't wait for Yona to destroy the fortress with her bare hands

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This Fujiyama chapter is the cutest

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Fujiyama-san-wa-Shishunki/Ch-058?id=265839

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Would you recommend Fujiyama?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would you recommend Fujiyama?

No, we keep posting about there being new chapters because we're secretly trying to trap you into reading bad manga.

It's exceedingly cute, well-written, and the art is very pretty.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would say the only caveat to add is that you're going to get the occasional fanservice panel; most of it comes from the boyfriend's POV so it at least makes some narrative sense (he's checking out his girl) but there have been a couple of scenes I skipped right past. I don't like when it goes there because the character being depicted is in middle school so it feels a bit skeevy. Mostly it's just cute kids being cute at their first relationship though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. The fanservice always feels out of place, which is unfortunate because it's a genuinely adorable romance series and the latest chapter was super touching. Also, literally super touching.

I looked up The Bride Was A Boy on baka-updates to see how long it was and I noticed that it's got a bunch of WORST THING EVER ratings on the score graph, which I think is hilarious and probably from people who are offended at the mere existence of something that is trying to educate people on how LGBT stuff works to a culture that has always treated it as a freakshow.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=114958

Also, speaking of, there's a bunch more chapters. Adorable and informative, as usual.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I don't like when it goes there because the character being depicted is in middle school so it feels a bit skeevy. Mostly it's just cute kids being cute at their first relationship though.

Yeah. Thankfully there's little enough of it and the manga is so cute that it's easier to overlook the occasional weird fixation on depicting 14 year old boobs for a page.

I do think that Kanba acting like he does towards Fujiyama is a big part of why the manga feels like it depicts a pretty realistic relationship between pretty realistic teenagers, but I also don't think there's any real reason why it actually needs to turn that into drawing boobs. :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Fujiyama-san is apparently over now, so I guess you won't have to cry about her boobies in your manga anymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At least it's not lesbians, right, darkgray? Ew. Just, ew. So loving weird

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A bunch of new chapters of I Can't Be a Princess just popped up and 17 is just faaaaaantastic

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-wa-Ohime-sama-ni-Narenai

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
bato.to has them up to 21, even: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/boku-wa-ohime-sama-ni-narenai-r16222

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Neato bandito

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Fujiyama-san is written from the perspective of a 14-year-old boy, so the male-gaze stuff is incredibly realistic. The reader experiences the same skeevy whoops-should-I-be-seeing-this feeling that Kanba does.

My main worry is that Kanba is finally going to go over the line with being too thoughtless or immature, and Fujiyama dumps him. So far so good, I guess.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mirage posted:

Fujiyama-san is written from the perspective of a 14-year-old boy, so the male-gaze stuff is incredibly realistic. The reader experiences the same skeevy whoops-should-I-be-seeing-this feeling that Kanba does.

yeah, that's why generally the only time it crossed the line for me was when he wasn't present. At that point it's purely for the reader and I'm not going to ogle a middle schooler undressing for her bath or whatever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As for that Fujiyama-san comic, I wish there was some sense of progress, though I guess it's just aiming to be more of a slice of life. I was reading it and it skipped from chapter 25 to chapter 50-something and I didn't even notice that I had skipped over 20 chapters. Do they ever stop hiding their relationship from everyone or even kiss? It's definitely still kind of cute, but I certainly wouldn't call it realistic; no teenage boy is going to be in a relationship for such a long time without trying to push the relationship in a more physical direction. I could see them being like this for maybe the first month or two, but it seems like close to a year is supposed to have passed, since they're now going into their third year and started dating before summer vacation of the previous year.

As for the male gaze stuff, I definitely think it is supposed to be titillating for the reader. Pretty much every chapter seems to have a quota of at least one "sexy" shot/scene.

Either way, I think Lovely Complex is a better example of this particular "genre."

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ehh, part of why I like it is that it's so uncomplicated. There's no sudden appearances of rivals who throw everything into a silly convoluted panic or any of that poo poo. Just two kids being cute. If you want progress, recent ones had some HARDCORE HUGGING ACTION in them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

As for that Fujiyama-san comic, I wish there was some sense of progress, though I guess it's just aiming to be more of a slice of life. I was reading it and it skipped from chapter 25 to chapter 50-something and I didn't even notice that I had skipped over 20 chapters. Do they ever stop hiding their relationship from everyone or even kiss? It's definitely still kind of cute, but I certainly wouldn't call it realistic; no teenage boy is going to be in a relationship for such a long time without trying to push the relationship in a more physical direction. I could see them being like this for maybe the first month or two, but it seems like close to a year is supposed to have passed, since they're now going into their third year and started dating before summer vacation of the previous year.

As for the male gaze stuff, I definitely think it is supposed to be titillating for the reader. Pretty much every chapter seems to have a quota of at least one "sexy" shot/scene.

Either way, I think Lovely Complex is a better example of this particular "genre."

These middle schoolers aren't having sex. WHY AREN'T THEY HAVING SEX??

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hitting the random button on Batoto can be fun, but also unpleasant if you don't at least glance at the comments after reading the summary.

quote:

Jesus. What the hell is it with Korean manhwa and horrifyingly abusive stalker assholes as romantic leads? It's not even as if they're "jerk with a heart of gold" types, it's literally just violent obsession being directly equated with passionate love. It's like there's this entire sub-genre of girls' manwha written for the sole purpose of glorifying abuse and pretending that a guy treating you worse than literal garbage just shows that he super-duper loves you. loving Twilight is better than this.
I'm so not reading any of that. There is a chance the person is overreacting but I'm not willing to risk it. :gonk:

What is up with all the possessive crap anyway? Maybe it's just me but I even got too uncomfortable trying to watch Boys Over Flowers so I had to abandon it. A lot of people have recommended it but I just couldn't take all that systematic bullying and that one guy treating the main character like a toy or something. The fact that all the guys were like twice her length didn't exactly help either. Why does my heart beat so fast when this tall stranger is looming over me with all the respect of someone looking at a piece of furniture? Gee it must be love. But to be fair I didn't watch many episodes and it was a while back so maybe my cynicism and memory is wrong.

A couple of months ago I was reading random button manga and a collection of short romantic stories turned up that I almost started reading until I saw the massive rant about how creepy they were. Apparently they were in sexual abuse = true love territory of creepy (your teacher molests you because he loves you). Who the heck enjoys reading that? On second thought, I really don't want to know.

Oh and I read some awful manga about two women being on the run because one of them murdered the extremely abusive husband of the other. The over the top ridiculous 90% of body completely covered with scars kind of abuse (unfortunately I read almost the whole thing before I managed to stop). Why is that a thing? I saw it in Ef - A Tale of Melodies as well.

Sorry for rambling but it's been bugging me for a while now.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
In Love Stage anime, Izumi is adorable and Ryouma is cute, but it was a little shallow and kinda forced as mentioned. And it had some of the...oddest ways of getting Izumi to realize he like Ryouma, to put it lightly.

While I did enjoy it enough even with looking past the squicky parts, I can't help but feel there's probably something out there without the squicky parts that is better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy, stuff is getting compoundingly more awkward in I Can't Be A Princess

Poil posted:

Hitting the random button on Batoto can be fun, but also unpleasant if you don't at least glance at the comments after reading the summary.
What series is that quote for? There's one that I was reading a while ago, I forget the exact name, but the main girl had orange-brown hair and it had a kinda sketchy art style, not super detailed, but she was going out with a dude who had a kinda hosed up upbringing and was a bit weird and possessive as an adult. They were going to college. It had a real creepy narcissistic stalker dude as well who got the poo poo beat out of him a couple times for being so a creeper. Haven't read it in like a year or so though.

edit: ah, right, it was Cheese In The Trap. Good series for a while but I can't speak to its quality lately.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kylra posted:

In Love Stage anime, Izumi is adorable and Ryouma is cute, but it was a little shallow and kinda forced as mentioned. And it had some of the...oddest ways of getting Izumi to realize he like Ryouma, to put it lightly.

While I did enjoy it enough even with looking past the squicky parts, I can't help but feel there's probably something out there without the squicky parts that is better.

For anime, very little. The selection is small to begin with and so much of it is just awful. Love Stage is one of the better ones tbh. The Kono Danshi series is about the only thing I can recommend without (much) reservation because IIRC none of those go past kissing and nothing is forced, but even one of those has a teacher x student relationship so there's still that. Seikimatsu Darling doesn't have anything like that in it that I can remember, it's pretty cute and worth watching but it's just 30 minutes so you aren't going to get much relationship development. Same for the Kono Danshi ovas; they're about the same length. There might be something really great out there that I haven't seen because I've not watched every BL anime ever made but just in my general experience trying to think of things that don't have any questionable scenes I'm not coming up with much.

If it's a big issue for you it's probably better to just stick to manga unfortunately.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Bride Was A Boy wrapped up. Great stuff, very informative for those who may not know much about what transitioning is, the obstacles and hurdles in the way, etc.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cool I was waiting for it to finish so I could read it on one go. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not like it's just manga and anime, 50 Shades is popular despite the central relationship being incredibly hosed up and abusive, some people just equate possessiveness with love for some reason.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Poil posted:

Oh and I read some awful manga about two women being on the run because one of them murdered the extremely abusive husband of the other. The over the top ridiculous 90% of body completely covered with scars kind of abuse (unfortunately I read almost the whole thing before I managed to stop). Why is that a thing? I saw it in Ef - A Tale of Melodies as well.

Ah, Gunjo. At least unlike most of your examples the abuse there was unequivocally shown to be a bad thing, and part of the reason the main character ended up in a marriage like that is because she had an abusive father growing up. I seem to remember her dad was responsible for most of those scars too? My problem was less that and more the fact that as it went on it got comically tragic, like how the other main character's ex just kinda randomly drowns in the tub after washing her hands off the whole mess and getting her life back in order. Horrible people making horrible decisions can make for an interesting story, but when horrible poo poo just kinda randomly happens for no real reason other than to make things worse it gets a bit hard to care.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 2, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

For anime, very little. The selection is small to begin with and so much of it is just awful. Love Stage is one of the better ones tbh. The Kono Danshi series is about the only thing I can recommend without (much) reservation because IIRC none of those go past kissing and nothing is forced, but even one of those has a teacher x student relationship so there's still that. Seikimatsu Darling doesn't have anything like that in it that I can remember, it's pretty cute and worth watching but it's just 30 minutes so you aren't going to get much relationship development. Same for the Kono Danshi ovas; they're about the same length. There might be something really great out there that I haven't seen because I've not watched every BL anime ever made but just in my general experience trying to think of things that don't have any questionable scenes I'm not coming up with much.

If it's a big issue for you it's probably better to just stick to manga unfortunately.
Why can't we just have cute guys doing cute things? Is that so hard?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Honto Yajuu should be an anime

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Kylra posted:

Free! And Free! Eternal Summer.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

K. Flaps posted:

Free! And Free! Eternal Summer.
I need to get around to this at some point really.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kylra posted:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

fujiyama-san is great and i love how one of these new chapters had a 5 page spread of a hug. i wonder if the mangaka lady has started on a new series or not since fujiyama is now done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gnossiennes posted:

Honto Yajuu should be an anime

:agreed: