Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I work full time in an office and I am looking for sidework as a proofreader or editor. I have internships and experience working on my college paper as a copy editor and writer, but all of that was six years ago. Besides writing blurbs for internal Sharepoint websites and training documents at my job, my writing portfolio is nil.

Has anyone here worked with Babbletype as a proofreader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Re: Zerys chat: they didn't used to be bad IMO but it's really, really slim pickings these days. They lost some of the clients who put their better assignments up so I hardly even visit it anymore.

I kind of feel like the whole content mill writing scene is dying all over. Too bad. :(

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Pikestaff posted:

Re: Zerys chat: they didn't used to be bad IMO but it's really, really slim pickings these days. They lost some of the clients who put their better assignments up so I hardly even visit it anymore.

I kind of feel like the whole content mill writing scene is dying all over. Too bad. :(

I still find steady work here and there, I just have to hustle for it a little harder.

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got three stars on TB's writing test. How hard is it to pull that up to 4 stars? Should I just grind out whats available for three stars and it will get to 4 stars eventually?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

It takes months to get your star rating up because they grade your work super slowly. I only do work there if it is something I can whip up in 30 minutes or a subject I enjoy. Otherwise it is absolute hell trying to raise your score.

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fluffdaddy posted:

It takes months to get your star rating up because they grade your work super slowly. I only do work there if it is something I can whip up in 30 minutes or a subject I enjoy. Otherwise it is absolute hell trying to raise your score.

poo poo, should I just try and do Writer's Access then? I have the AP stylebook coming so I can take more time to refresh on writing articles and from what I understand it's easier to change your ratings there.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ghost crow posted:

poo poo, should I just try and do Writer's Access then? I have the AP stylebook coming so I can take more time to refresh on writing articles and from what I understand it's easier to change your ratings there.

yea, 4 star rates at WA are better than 5 star rates at TB

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Here, transcribe 20 minutes of random B roll at a big toy convention with 50 people moseying around.

And a talking Barbie house.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I'm currently taking the Leapforce exam. It's been 9 hours since I finished part 1, and I still have no word on receiving part 2. The whole thing is due in like 24 hours, and the e-mail told me I should only need to wait 4 hours tops to get my results. Anyone else been in this boat? I tried firing off an e-mail to the address sending out the exam instructions because I can't find a support e-mail anywhere either.

EDIT: D'oh, looks like they sent it to a different e-mail address. I didn't pass :P No info on why either.

Rebochan fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 21, 2016

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

thylacine posted:

Here, transcribe 20 minutes of random B roll at a big toy convention with 50 people moseying around.

And a talking Barbie house.

I'm going to bet that was paid at... $0.75/min

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I'm going to bet that was paid at... $0.75/min

You would be wrong!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
BARBIEHOUSE: No problem! Here's one dollar per minute!

14 hours later and it hasn't been sent back yet, fingers crossed.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

It's the weekend. They're gonna look at that poo poo Monday morning an hour before it's due then send you a panicked email or ten about it.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
The majority of my Barbie files looked like this: [INAUDIBLE] [going to?] the [banana store?] [OVERLAP]. I sent them out Thursday night/Friday morning, and they still haven't said anything, so maybe they're not being too picky on this one.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Been a lot of garbage work from DT at media prices lately. Hope they don't care that I'm not taking anything that isn't media at this point.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

ghost crow posted:

I got three stars on TB's writing test. How hard is it to pull that up to 4 stars? Should I just grind out whats available for three stars and it will get to 4 stars eventually?

If you didn't get in at 4 stars it's probably not worth your time except when nothing else is available. On a 4-star managed team you might make $10 - 12 for an article that took half-an-hour to write. If you're stuck taking 3-star open orders you'll be lucky to make $5 for a similar article.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Been a lot of garbage work from DT at media prices lately. Hope they don't care that I'm not taking anything that isn't media at this point.

What are "media prices"?

I finally got one of those medical podcasts that wasn't full of jargon, easy as pie.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

thylacine posted:

What are "media prices"?

I finally got one of those medical podcasts that wasn't full of jargon, easy as pie.

DT pays less for reality TV interviews than they do focus groups and other such garbage because the extra 15 to 25 cents hopefully will stop you from shooting yourself while listening to it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jake Snake posted:

The majority of my Barbie files looked like this: [INAUDIBLE] [going to?] the [banana store?] [OVERLAP]. I sent them out Thursday night/Friday morning, and they still haven't said anything, so maybe they're not being too picky on this one.

I thought I had seen it all, but holding a cell phone up and having someone on speaker phone "conduct" the interview was a new one for me.

Edit: Dudes walking around Antarctica, occasionally pointing out and explaining a science thing is pretty amazing though. I could do that poo poo forever.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 22, 2016

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

Jake Snake posted:

I was nervous the first time I did an 8 person focus group and had a poo poo load of [OVERLAP] and [INAUDIBLE], but I've yet to had anything sent back by QC since my first week. Last week I had a file where the last 15 minutes was a group of 4 people standing next to a loving helicopter talking about Game of Thrones. There was only a sentence or two I was able to make out without heavy use of [BACKGROUND NOISE] that never got sent back to me either. So far I think the QC department isn't going to bust your balls over atrocious audio that they probably can't even make out.

On a different note I've been working at DT for 4 months and I really enjoy this work a lot more than any other job I've had. I just learn so much random poo poo the hours kind of fly by when I'm in the zone. The only work I've rejected so far was a .75 cent per minute reality show daily with a lot of speakers 'cause I thought the rate was too low for the assignment.

thebandbeforetime
May 26, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

yea, 4 star rates at WA are better than 5 star rates at TB

Any advice for getting into WA or something similar? I work a regular 9-5 managing an office, but have tons of downtime. Last year I made about $4,000 on Clickworker in 6 months, but I'm pretty burnt out on that type of work. I have an MA in English and consider myself a fairly strong writer, at least academically. I got into Textbroker at 4 stars, and all the articles I wrote were graded at 4 stars, but had a hard time continuing since the low pay made me pretty apathetic.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought I had seen it all, but holding a cell phone up and having someone on speaker phone "conduct" the interview was a new one for me.

Edit: Dudes walking around Antarctica, occasionally pointing out and explaining a science thing is pretty amazing though. I could do that poo poo forever.

I love the Antarctica stuff so much, and it's such a nice break after all those trash garbage files from last week.

Killfast37 posted:

On a different note I've been working at DT for 4 months and I really enjoy this work a lot more than any other job I've had. I just learn so much random poo poo the hours kind of fly by when I'm in the zone. The only work I've rejected so far was a .75 cent per minute reality show daily with a lot of speakers 'cause I thought the rate was too low for the assignment.

I enjoy transcribing for the same reason, but I don't know how many more focus group files I can take. Like that stuff literally makes me sleepy. On the plus side I guess I've added dozens of nonsensical corporate buzzwords to my vocabulary, in case that ever comes in handy.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

thebandbeforetime posted:

Any advice for getting into WA or something similar? I work a regular 9-5 managing an office, but have tons of downtime. Last year I made about $4,000 on Clickworker in 6 months, but I'm pretty burnt out on that type of work. I have an MA in English and consider myself a fairly strong writer, at least academically. I got into Textbroker at 4 stars, and all the articles I wrote were graded at 4 stars, but had a hard time continuing since the low pay made me pretty apathetic.

Interested in this as well. I got into TB at 4 stars but got dunked to 3 for a clause construction an editor didn't like on an article asking me to not use semicolons or anything but commas and periods specifically. Since then I have found it is pretty much impossible to get 4 star status again, because you have to write above the level of the article you're being asked to write, which at the 3 star level are mostly garbage SEO blogs and apartment listings.

So anything else where I can get decent money to churn out bulk trash would be nice.

Also what is clickworker all about? I could use some mindless money grinding to supplement my academic writing.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

WA just requires a few writing samples and passing their test. It's fairly difficult but not if you have any background in writing.

They take some time to get back on applications but just fill it out and take your time on the test.

If you get accepted at 3 stars, it only takes a few decent rated articles to automatically bump you to 4. After that it's all about improving your portfolio.

thebandbeforetime
May 26, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

Interested in this as well. I got into TB at 4 stars but got dunked to 3 for a clause construction an editor didn't like on an article asking me to not use semicolons or anything but commas and periods specifically. Since then I have found it is pretty much impossible to get 4 star status again, because you have to write above the level of the article you're being asked to write, which at the 3 star level are mostly garbage SEO blogs and apartment listings.

So anything else where I can get decent money to churn out bulk trash would be nice.

Also what is clickworker all about? I could use some mindless money grinding to supplement my academic writing.

When I say Clickworker, I'm really referring to their UHRS access. Soul-crushing penny tasks on a platform that frequently has no worthwhile work. If you can work quickly and accurately, it can be lucrative. There were some jobs that would pay $20-30 / hour, but your mileage may vary on how fast you can complete each HIT. I can't bring myself to do it anymore since the work is so irregular and when jobs do come up they either don't pay enough, are broken or give me existential dread. Like I said though, I was able to make a few thousand off it, so it's legitimate work for decent pay, however, I'd honestly prefer to make less money writing than deal with click-brain at this point.

I took the WA test yesterday and did better than I had expected considering I was taking the test while my coworkers were arguing loudly with each other over some bullshit. Hoping WA inspires a little more motivation for me than Textbroker.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

So I've been looking into online moneymaking options again recently, and it seems like maybe everything is super awful nowadays? From like 2008-2010 I was able to make between 700-1200 dollars a month writing articles for Demand Studios, but I kinda moved away from it and then they went through a bunch of weird changes. I've done professional/published writing stuff since then on a more local freelance basis but its a lot more effort to find consistent jobs. However, all of the rates I see on textbroker and comparable sites seems really abysmally low. Did the market for on-demand content collapse, or what happened to it? Can I still get 15 bucks to write a 750 word article somewhere?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

You can make $15-18 on a 400 word article at Writers' Domain but I always had trouble snagging anything from them because they tend to put batches up at a couple of set times that everyone swarms. I'm also honestly not sure if they're open for new writers right now.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Basically, Google and the search engines started working hard to devalue content mill output in search results, because getting a result from say, the NIH is way more valuable to a user than getting a result written by some internet rando who read the NIH page and is chock full of ads. Essentially, it's really hard to find decent-paying writing work online unless you actually have legitimate credentials in whatever field you want to write for, and while you can still sometimes find places that will take 50 200 word articles about air conditioning, the pay's way less than it used to be.

Right now, it seems the best choice for a regular paycheck is transcription or search engine work.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

What's the current best gateway into search engine work?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think Appen is the most stable.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I just scheduled to retake the Leapforce exam. I'm still kind of floored I didn't get past the first part O_O Anyone else actually get through it and have any advice? I know I'll be reading through the guidelines yet again, but it's hard to know where my weakpoints were without them giving me any results.

thebandbeforetime
May 26, 2010
Got my WA application approved at 4 stars. Looks like work is slim to none :(. I'm going to assume it's one of those things you have to check constantly and snag jobs before someone else catches them?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

WA does a lot via casting call, where clients post assignments and you apply with why you would be a good fit and a pitch for the post, then they send you solos or add you to a love list, similar to textbroker's teams. Focus on buffing up your profile and applying for casting calls and it shouldn't be hard to find work.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea, when you are new it just takes time to build up your love lists and to snag steady work.

Also, the forums there are living proof that adults posting on a forum are just as awful as a bunch of teenagers on reddit, so feel free to ask your questions here to avoid those 50 year old spam monsters.

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

Rebochan posted:

I just scheduled to retake the Leapforce exam. I'm still kind of floored I didn't get past the first part O_O Anyone else actually get through it and have any advice? I know I'll be reading through the guidelines yet again, but it's hard to know where my weakpoints were without them giving me any results.

I’d say the key is allowing yourself time to work through that first part with the guidelines open so you can look stuff up as you go. It’s tedious but I had to do that to make sure I was remembering different sections of that guidelines doc properly.

That and not overthinking the answers — just imagine that you’re an “average” internet user, apply the guidelines literally, and move on. I hope that makes sense…I worked for Appen for 4 years, took a break, then took and passed the Leapforce exam in January. I learned early on with Appen that everything went better if I removed my own preferences/ideas from the rating process and simply applied the rules like they wanted.

I’m not sure how helpful that all is. It can be frustrating when you don’t get feedback on those tests. I resorted to allotting a couple hours to each test so I could look up every question in the guidelines if it came down to it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pikestaff posted:

You can make $15-18 on a 400 word article at Writers' Domain but I always had trouble snagging anything from them because they tend to put batches up at a couple of set times that everyone swarms. I'm also honestly not sure if they're open for new writers right now.

WD has not had open applications for US-English writers since Summer 2014. As for Feb 1st they were looking for European writers that have native (or near-native) level fluency of German and Dutch.

Is anybody else still working on Writer's Domain though? Conditions have gotten much worse over there recently. While you could depend on certain days to get a ton of work, it now only lasts for 3 hours instead of 9-10 hours on those days.

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:
That's sad to hear - I did pretty well in 2015 at WD and enjoyed the work a decent amount. It did seem like a bad sign when they started putting those weird rules in place about refreshing and whatnot. Maybe like they were a bit desperate to do something since the amount of work was drying up? I haven't done any work for them in 2016; got a non-self-employment part-time job.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So, OK.

I do LiveOps. Won't say which client directly, obviously, but I do the pharma client. I run away from the sales stuff, because I'm bad at that.

It's been 6 months, and while working at home is awesome...I've not had a real job in years outside call center survey stuff, I'd like one while I'm still young. How do I put this liveops stuff on resumes?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Goldfinch posted:

That's sad to hear - I did pretty well in 2015 at WD and enjoyed the work a decent amount. It did seem like a bad sign when they started putting those weird rules in place about refreshing and whatnot. Maybe like they were a bit desperate to do something since the amount of work was drying up? I haven't done any work for them in 2016; got a non-self-employment part-time job.

I can make it work and still write 100 there per month even with full time employment. Now that I got the format down it's stupid easy.

I am convinced that the refreshing rules were total BS from the sound of what other writers have said they have done without getting a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished the WA writing exam and scored above average. I just have to finish the industry/asset experience part. I've never written content mill stuff so I'm unsure what to put for those. Should I just whip up some writing samples in areas I'd like to write for? I don't have any actual writing experience for any of them so I don't know what to put for "experience summary".