Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

DurdleDuck posted:

Has anyone here tried this game yet? Because eh, ... that's a lot of money.

https://www.epiccardgame.com/worlds/

It's similar to Magic but a completely different mana system. It plays a little like Vintage, but creatures are actually good and you don't have to play Blue.

I played the original version years ago and it was fun to do busted things for essentially 1 mana. It's basically Type 4, if you've ever played that format.

JerryLee posted:

Making it all the more hilarious that they literally made an effort to stop representing story moments on cards. Granted they seem to have walked that back a little and Deicide, Kozilek's Return, etc. are nifty cards even if Return's rarity is horseshit

They did, but they've completely reversed that because Magic players didn't know the story at all if they didn't read the site, and a good portion of players don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

DurdleDuck posted:

Has anyone here tried this game yet? Because eh, ... that's a lot of money.

https://www.epiccardgame.com/worlds/

It's similar to Magic but a completely different mana system. It plays a little like Vintage, but creatures are actually good and you don't have to play Blue.

Epic is kind of lame. Play Star Realms instead. It's by the same people, except it's better.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Jenx posted:

Epic is kind of lame. Play Star Realms instead. It's by the same people, except it's better.

That's a very different game though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

odiv posted:

FTV: Good Ideas
FTV: Bad Ideas

*reprints Chronicles in its entirety, but in foil*

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

DurdleDuck posted:

That's odd, that's very different from my (admittedly limited) experience. Most reviews actually applaud the balance in the game. It does *look* swingy on first glance compared to Magic I guess.

He didn't play it much (I don't think) so it may have just been a few bad experiences.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

Chronicles was a weird set for sure. I especially like how in addition to heavy hitters like Carrion Ants and Craw Giant, it also made sure we had access to Repentant Blacksmith and Spock, who aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

DurdleDuck posted:

That's a very different game though.

That's true, yes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Pussy Snorkel posted:

The event is a Modern 1k, with a Mox Ruby door prize. We're also randomly giving away a foil Tarmogoyf to someone who shares our event and likes our Facebook page before Thursday. You don't have to come to the event to win the goyf, either.

Snorkel's a straight shooter, my Goyf arrived today :dance:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Yawgmoth posted:

Sweet. Foil blood moons everywhere

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
ftv: stupid idiots. 15 blank foil cards

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
FTV: Vanilla
Featuring all-new full-frame foil art for such classics as Grizzly Bears, Leatherback Baloth, Savannah Lions, Hexplate Golem, Indomitable Ancients and Kobolds of Kher Keep.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Everblight posted:

Chronicles was a weird set for sure. I especially like how in addition to heavy hitters like Carrion Ants and Craw Giant, it also made sure we had access to Repentant Blacksmith and Spock, who aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

Hey, Repentant Blacksmith was an okay sideboard against Sligh/Geeba decks in the days before Freewind Falcon existed.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Snorkel's a straight shooter, my Goyf arrived today :dance:

That was you!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Chronicles was kind of a unique situation that wouldn't really happen today.

The first four expansions that came out in the first year or so of Magic all had print runs that didn't at all account for the skyrocketing popularity of the new game, so by the time Revised Edition and Ice Age came out, there were tons of new players who had lots of cards from those sets, but the first four expansion had this semi-mythical status and hardly anyone actually had any cards from them. So tons of cards from those sets became super-valuable "collector's items" based solely on their rarity and how cool they looked, rather than anything to do with how good they actually were as playable cards. This was before the Internet, before FNMs, before any kind of organized play or sanctioned tournaments were common at all. Hardly anyone played anything beyond kitchen table magic or casual tournaments among friends at this point. So cards like Dakkon Blackblade and the Elder Dragon Legends became quite valuable simply because they were rare and cool-looking.

Then Chronicles came along and just cratered the price of all the cards that turned out to not actually be good cards. Suddenly those dumb multicolor cards from Legends were all pretty worthless because everyone got a chance to play with them and realized they weren't actually good. There were a lot of people who had gotten into the game as a Collectable Thing more than as an actual card game, and they were pissed. There's exponentially fewer of those kind of people today, and there aren't really any cards left with that kind of complete scarcity propping them up without them actually being good cards.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am happy to see some goon on goon hot goyf action

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Chronicles was kind of a unique situation that wouldn't really happen today.

The first four expansions that came out in the first year or so of Magic all had print runs that didn't at all account for the skyrocketing popularity of the new game, so by the time Revised Edition and Ice Age came out, there were tons of new players who had lots of cards from those sets, but the first four expansion had this semi-mythical status and hardly anyone actually had any cards from them. So tons of cards from those sets became super-valuable "collector's items" based solely on their rarity and how cool they looked, rather than anything to do with how good they actually were as playable cards. This was before the Internet, before FNMs, before any kind of organized play or sanctioned tournaments were common at all. Hardly anyone played anything beyond kitchen table magic or casual tournaments among friends at this point. So cards like Dakkon Blackblade and the Elder Dragon Legends became quite valuable simply because they were rare and cool-looking.

Then Chronicles came along and just cratered the price of all the cards that turned out to not actually be good cards. Suddenly those dumb multicolor cards from Legends were all pretty worthless because everyone got a chance to play with them and realized they weren't actually good. There were a lot of people who had gotten into the game as a Collectable Thing more than as an actual card game, and they were pissed. There's exponentially fewer of those kind of people today, and there aren't really any cards left with that kind of complete scarcity propping them up without them actually being good cards.

Most of the original duals I pulled as a kid ended up traded for very played copies of Vaevictus Asmadi and poo poo. Then I sold the entire box for $20 to a kid on the bus because I am super loving smart.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

Most of the original duals I pulled as a kid ended up traded for very played copies of Vaevictus Asmadi and poo poo. Then I sold the entire box for $20 to a kid on the bus because I am super loving smart.

If you had spent that $20 on a gun, you'd have the $20 and the magic cards and also a gun.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I only got like 1 starter and a few boosters of Revised, so I don't think I ever even had any duals to foolishly trade way. My sweet rares that I never parted with and still have to this day were Demonic Tutor, Sol Ring (which I think was actually an uncommon) and Fork.

I remember laboriously trading to get my four-sets of Sengir Vampire and Control Magic.

I originally played between the two worst sets in Magic, Fallen Empires and Homelands, so when I got back into the game 16 years later, the only old cards I had that were still good and relevent were my beaten-up Revised Lightning Bolts.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did Chronicles have an over-inflated amount of demand like Fallen Empires? That's another funny story.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

Whoa. I bought some magic cards with my $20 lunch money saved over some time. Little box with a few duals in there. Didn't know about any of it but I liked the lands cuz they had the crazy colors. I forget what combo of lands were in there but I distinctly remember badlands cuz it looked so bland.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The one I could never get was Arcades Sabboth. I didn't want the lovely white bordered version so I kept holding out to get one of the ones from Legends. I had a grand plan of somehow trading for a Mirror Universe at the time since it was the most expensive card in Legends at the time and it just seemed so cool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zephirum posted:

Did Chronicles have an over-inflated amount of demand like Fallen Empires? That's another funny story.

Chronicles and Fallen Empires were both sets that you could still buy years later because they were massively over-printed and, well,...
http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=CHR%7CFEM

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I opened a badland and a vesuvan doppelganger from revised packs. Doppelganger and fork were the most expensive cards in the set at the time. I bought poo poo loads of chronicles so I need to dig them out and see how many blood moons I have/don't have. Chromium was my favourite elder Dragon because he was shiny, also I played storm seeker in all my decks because I though the art was the coolest poo poo.

Also, tonight my wife if away so I have spent it sorting my token and rules cards

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wish I still had my old copies of Inquest magazine. The card price lists from 1994/1995 would be interesting reading now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

Chronicles and Fallen Empires were both sets that you could still buy years later because they were massively over-printed and, well,...
http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=CHR%7CFEM

what plays Concordant Crossroads?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I was asking that same question about Ashnod's Altar and then I remembered that the answer is always EDH

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's one of the key cards in my Hastes Makes Wastes deck where I Awaken Wastes

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Entropic posted:

I wish I still had my old copies of Inquest magazine. The card price lists from 1994/1995 would be interesting reading now.

I just figured I'd look up a post of mine to a usenet group from 97 and see what I was selling poo poo for

quote:

Alpha / Beta / Unlimited (Unlimited unless noted)

$55 Chaos Orb
$10 Clone (Alpha)
$8 Control Magic (beta)
$20 Ice Storm
$10 Juggernaut (beta)
$10 Sinkhole

Arabian Nights

$65 Ali From Cairo
$3 Erg Raiders (small (1))
$5 Flying Men

Antiquities

$5 Jalum Tome
$10 Mishra’s Factory - Spring
$12 Mishra’s Factory - Winter
$30 Mishra’s Workshop
$3 Phyrexian Gremlins
$3 Primal Clay
$2 Sage of Lat-Nam
$5 Strip Mine EX-
$8 Strip Mine
$8 Tetravus

Revised Duals for $8

Shitloads of Legends staples for $5.

I think I made ~3k liquidating my collection cause I'd moved to college and there wasn't a local game store and the one in my hometown burned down so everyone moved on to playing Warhammer and I gave up and cashed out.

Oh well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Is it a weird non-Voltron build because there are a lot cheaper ways to give Gisela +2/+0

Every creature is legendary.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Angry Grimace posted:

The one I could never get was Arcades Sabboth. I didn't want the lovely white bordered version so I kept holding out to get one of the ones from Legends. I had a grand plan of somehow trading for a Mirror Universe at the time since it was the most expensive card in Legends at the time and it just seemed so cool.

Nobody ever wanted to trade their chromium at dream wizards and nobody ever sold one to the store so I was lucky enough to randomly find one in North Carolina while visiting my grandparents and bought it as soon as I saw it in the binder, like I pulled the card out and closed the binder because I couldn't believe how lucky I was.

The only other cards I would have done that for were chaos orb and icy manipulator but there was no way I could afford them at the time.

How was icy manipulator not on that money card list? poo poo was strait busted back in the day before real rules

:corsair:

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 1, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I had to switch to the GP. I can't listen to them anymore.

I also hate 4 color rally and can't wait for it to die.

I thought Rally was awesome when it first came out and made a budgety version of the d#eck because it played off a lot of interesting synergies between cards that were unplayable in any other circumstance. It got a bit obnoxious when it started taking up a huge portion of the meta. The novelty wore off and the games are too grindy to watch all the time.

Then Reflector Mage got printed and the deck became disgusting. The brutal tempo swing and clean answer to the deck's worst hosers were way more than Rally ever needed.

Fun moments in Rally Deck: Game 1 against someone who hasn't seen the deck before and elects not to block a Husk.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zoness posted:

yes he owns an esports team/organization now :suicide:

He sure does! :downs:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I love reflector mage

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

PleasantDirge posted:

How was icy manipulator not on that money card list? poo poo was strait busted back in the day before real rules

:corsair:

Reprinted in Ice Age.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Bugsy posted:

Reprinted in Ice Age.

Also the best card ever printed.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Reflector Mage is a good, cool card. Reflector Mage slotting directly into a deck that was already built around replaying ETB creatures over and over again and whose primary hate cards were creatures that needed to be on the battlefield and that was already at the top of the meta, on the other hand, is gross.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Time for viral marketing bs yay
http://hanweirchronicle.com/

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Voyager I posted:

Reflector Mage is a good, cool card. Reflector Mage slotting directly into a deck that was already built around replaying ETB creatures over and over again and whose primary hate cards were creatures that needed to be on the battlefield and that was already at the top of the meta, on the other hand, is gross.

I disagree, because it beats Abzan decks.

Also Rally is just a really cool deck in general.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Abzan runs Reflector Mage too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Moist Abzan?

• Locked thread