Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
You say that ironically, but that is exactly what the movie will be about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Do I need to actually finally watch District 9? What if I already think Apartheid was a bad thing?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everblight posted:

Do I need to actually finally watch District 9? What if I already think Apartheid was a bad thing?

The guy with the Fury Road AV is wondering whether he should see a film even if he already agrees with its message

The answer is yes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I finally watched "The Assembly Cut That No Really, Fixes Alien 3" a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't, it's pretty much the same movie with some irrelevant plot details replaced. Same overall movie, same ridiculously bad creature effects that didn't even look good in 1992. This is still a movie that only total alien fanboys really have any interest in.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Everblight posted:

If you want to watch his only good movie then yes see it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oldpainless posted:

It's the fifth time he's made the same movie so you know he's got it down

This is so sad, because it's so true.

The guy really loves Johannesburg.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I finally watched "The Assembly Cut That No Really, Fixes Alien 3" a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't, it's pretty much the same movie with some irrelevant plot details replaced. Same overall movie, same ridiculously bad creature effects that didn't even look good in 1992. This is still a movie that only total alien fanboys really have any interest in.

While I don't agree with the overall sentiment of your post, the last sentence is pretty much dead on. I feel the assembly cut is a huge improvement over the theatrical (the expanded role of Golic in particular), but it's still a weird curiosity of a film that only really works if you know how tortured its production was and make allowances as appropriate.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but apparently Fincher once said that to do a director's cut of the film you'd need to burn the negative and start over. So if you feel that Alien 3's unsalvageable you're in good company.

e: just found a 1992 article from Premiere intercut with more recent quotes from Fincher about the film http://www.cinephiliabeyond.org/take-all-of-the-responsibility-because-youre-going-to-get-all-of-the-blame/

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 29, 2016

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Everblight posted:

District 9 is the reason why people keep funding Blomkamp movies, it's that good.

Disclosure: Chappie is great and if you don't like the movie it's probably cause you're a closet racist.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Everblight posted:

All space movies are just pirate movies with modern sensibilities and burial at sea is v.common hth

I like to imagine space truckers in the near future will treat space corpses as bugs on the windscreens.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Disclosure: Chappie is great and if you don't like the movie it's probably cause you're a closet racist.

Sorry about your terrible taste in movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tenzarin posted:

This is so sad, because it's so true.

The guy really loves Johannesburg.

This is the weirdest complaint. He made 2 movies set there, because it's his hometown.

Do you know how many Cronenberg movies are set in Toronto?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, look, it's not like it is New York or Philadelphia or an AMERICAN city. Setting something there requires justification because otherwise it's unacceptable.

Seriously, "director sets films in (location)" is a weird complaint because a ton of directors do it, generally there is a reason either personal or professional for it, and that isn't inherently a bad thing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I still want to live in the universe where Microsoft and the studios were able to make Blommkamp Halo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

McDowell posted:

I still want to live in the universe where Microsoft and the studios were able to make Blommkamp Halo.

I'd pop in to see what's up but I don't think I'd want to live there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is the weirdest complaint. He made 2 movies set there, because it's his hometown.

Do you know how many Cronenberg movies are set in Toronto?

How is this a complaint?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

How is this a complaint?

"It's so sad" generally isn't meant in a positive way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

"It's so sad" generally isn't meant in a positive way.

Good thing I didn't say "it's so sad", bro.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh brother.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lol, I thought Chappie was ok. Not even close to how good District 9 was. I didn't know his ratings dropped so fast. He may not even be a director for his turn to make an alien movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Lol, I thought Chappie was ok. Not even close to how good District 9 was. I didn't know his ratings dropped so fast. He may not even be a director for his turn to make an alien movie.

He's yet to make a movie that didn't make back twice its budget, so I think he'll continue to get work for quite a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Good thing I didn't say "it's so sad", bro.

"This is so sad" is not actually meaningfully any different, bro.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Chappie owned.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked Chappie a lot even if it had one scene too many where Ninja treats Chappie like poo poo and everyone'a angry at him but then two minutes later no one cares. I love everyone in that movie though. Hugh Jackman's security bro douchebag is like a textbook accurate depiction even down to his outfit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, I still need to see that. In our last apartment, we lived across the street from a Family Video and there was a Redbox at the gas station around the corner, so it was easy to rent new releases. Ever since we bought our house last year (and canceled cable last month, so no On Demand), the closest video store is 20 minutes away and the nearest Redbox is out in the boonies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Also Elysium is the best Star Wars movie in like three decades.

In any case, Alien 5 is apparently set in South Korean research facility.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
People keep complaining about the death of weird mid-budget films, yet when comes along they feel like they have to hate it if it isn't exactly what they want.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ImpAtom posted:

Well, look, it's not like it is New York or Philadelphia or an AMERICAN city. Setting something there requires justification because otherwise it's unacceptable.

Seriously, "director sets films in (location)" is a weird complaint because a ton of directors do it, generally there is a reason either personal or professional for it, and that isn't inherently a bad thing.

He could set every movie he makes for the rest of his life in Jburg (he won't and hasn't but whatever), you could watch all of them in a row, and you'd still probably watch more movies set in New York that year.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

People keep complaining about the death of weird mid-budget films, yet when comes along they feel like they have to hate it if it isn't exactly what they want.

Blomkamp gets backlash because (around the release of District 9) he was supposed to 'legitimize' nerd fiction.

The fact that he made an action-comedy satirizing Independence Day is perceived as a betrayal. Then he made a film satirizing Star Wars, and a film satirizing Short Circuit.... His films make fun of nerds incessantly, though most obviously with Jackman's character in Chappie.

Hence the nerd-media narrative around Alien 5.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Empty quote this forever. I think people forget that when a weird mid-budget film comes out, it being weird means by definition it's not going to be tailor made for you and that doesn't mean it's bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chappie's great because it felt original and fresh. I like Blomkamp's work because it feels so different from everything else. Which is why I'm down on him doing a regressive sequel to Aliens.

No amount of reading will change my mind. Blomkamp's the right dude for the job. But he needs someone else to write his script.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I would rather watch something made by people with something to say than Avengers 3 at this point.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A good writer and director could do something with Macross - there has been a 'Robotech' movie in production forever.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Everblight posted:

The weirdest thing about District 9 is that it's a film about how Apartheid was bad where the only black people in it are evil criminal voodoo cannibals.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Catfishenfuego posted:

The weirdest thing about District 9 is that it's a film about how Apartheid was bad where the only black people in it are evil criminal voodoo cannibals.

If you ignore like 6 other characters, this is a good point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I liked district 9, it was cute. It's nothing I'm going to think about as deeply as Alien, but it was some solid entertainment.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Snowman_McK posted:

If you ignore like 6 other characters, this is a good point.

By six do you mean 1? Because there's Wikus's assistant who has like three lines and gets called boy a bunch.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 1, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Catfishenfuego posted:

Don't be racist, the eating people thing to gain their powers is really big in Africa.

Check your privilege.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Catfishenfuego posted:

It's weird like how Alien is supposed to be about Grrrl Power but, the moment they put the woman in charge, she goes crazy and blows up the ship.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's weird like how Alien is supposed to be about Grrrl Power but, the moment they put the woman in charge, she goes crazy and blows up the ship.

It's the only way to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Catfishenfuego posted:

By six do you mean 1? Because there's Wikus's assistant who has like three lines and gets called boy a bunch.

Fine. There's 2. There's also the cop with the shotgun in the first act. Either way, the point you were trying to make isn't really there.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 1, 2016