Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Woolie Wool posted:

Gotcha. I knew BG had a reputation for total gently caress-you situations as I had read about how one of Pillars of Eternity's primary design decisions was removing most "hard counters" so you could be at a terrible disadvantage against an enemy you're not prepared for but not completely hopeless. Should I buy a second-hand AD&D monster manual?

As for classes, I was just going to play as a paladin...again. How easy is it to gently caress up with choices/actions playing a paladin? For the Kind Wayfarers paladin order in PoE, even with all dialogue hints turned on, I've been pretty good at maximizing the right dispositions and avoiding the wrong ones (basically "don't be a cock to people") but paladins in D&D have a reputation about them.

You don't need a monster manual, just keep separate saves so you can back track and if a particular enemy is loving you up hard core ask here for advice. The Monster Manual won't be close to accurate for a good chunk of the enemies you face due to the limitations of the engine.

Re: Paladins, don't kill innocents, in terms of dialog there aren't really any gotchas, the few ones that make you fall are very, very obviously evil. Be careful using area effects in places with civilians, someone getting caught in the crossfire might make you fall. If you don't get caught your god doesn't give a poo poo about stealing.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Woolie Wool posted:

As for classes, I was just going to play as a paladin...again. How easy is it to gently caress up with choices/actions playing a paladin? For the Kind Wayfarers paladin order in PoE, even with all dialogue hints turned on, I've been pretty good at maximizing the right dispositions and avoiding the wrong ones (basically "don't be a cock to people") but paladins in D&D have a reputation about them.
The entire D&D-based Infinity Engine line is extremely obvious/blatant in which choices are considered good or bad (except for Planescape I guess but even then it's pretty clear cut). You have absolutely nothing to worry about in that sense.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

Gotcha. I knew BG had a reputation for total gently caress-you situations as I had read about how one of Pillars of Eternity's primary design decisions was removing most "hard counters" so you could be at a terrible disadvantage against an enemy you're not prepared for but not completely hopeless. Should I buy a second-hand AD&D monster manual?

As for classes, I was just going to play as a paladin...again. How easy is it to gently caress up with choices/actions playing a paladin? For the Kind Wayfarers paladin order in PoE, even with all dialogue hints turned off, I've been pretty good at maximizing the right dispositions and avoiding the wrong ones (basically "don't be a cock to people") but paladins in D&D have a reputation about them.

E: hints off, not on.

Instead of paladin take the inquisitor subclass, it won't matter for BG1 but you will thank me in BG2.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Should I buy a second-hand AD&D monster manual?

You should absolutely buy copies of the 1st ED monster manuals, but only because they are some of the best bathroom reading out there. The BG games don't include most of the more absurd monsters, but if you like laughing while you poop, they are the best.

I mean, look at this silly bastard, he has a "hug" attack!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I want a Manbearpig boss fight.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You have to wait for the expansion pack for that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Laugh at the owlbears all you want but they way the mechanics of D&D/AD&D worked out, their hug could gently caress over epic level dickswingers. Always fun to turn them out against cocky dungeon crawlers

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The owlbear hug was incredibly dangerous in the Gold Box games. Don't insult the owlbear.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ah, Dan Simpson. Great at putting up text files of information, terrible at Baldur's Gate

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ah, Dan Simpson. Great at putting up text files of information, terrible at Baldur's Gate

I threw that one up because it's mostly information, not advice. AD&D has some weird and often counter-intuitive quirks, some basic understanding of those makes it easier to get along.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Siege of Dragonspear is coming out March 31th!

https://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-collectors-edition

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have read nothing about is Dragonspear thing. How is it looking? I honestly don't really find the Beamdog NCPs any worse then the OG ones, but I have no idea how to shoehorn a whole other game in between the BG games without over leveling the crap out of your party.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's an XP cap, and the expansion's only about Throne of Bhaal length. The UI improvements are either good or can be toggled off, and the content itself looks good, considering the legal and development restrictions they had.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It adds a new class to the game (Shaman) which I imagine will be available in the base game as well? Or is this a standalone game rather than a true expansion?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fong posted:

It adds a new class to the game (Shaman) which I imagine will be available in the base game as well? Or is this a standalone game rather than a true expansion?

Expansion, you have to buy it from the same place you bought your copy of the Enhanced Edition. The Shaman will be added to both EEs with the UI and other updates later this month.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol i was just checking the steam page out for both EE's and they have a full set of achievements of typical poo poo. there is a solo achievement though and one for speaking to all the loving candlekeep tutors at the start, haha. ah, i guess it's going to happen one day. glad i'm now wise enough to not give a side any which way.

some of the achievements look SoD related though, legacy of bhaal mode and story mode achievements. i can't see legacy of bhaal being worth a drat unless its a heart of fury mode for a imported level 7 npc or something. even then i'd rather take scs.

fully plan on spending hard earnt cash on this and complaining about everything, as is the way.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Finally! Great news, I really need that motivation right now to continue on and finish up my current ongoing blade w/ canon party playthrough of BG1EE (currently just arrived in BG and doing all the quests while exploring the city).

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
It seems that both Baldur's Gate I and II will get achievements!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Vichan posted:

It seems that both Baldur's Gate I and II will get achievements!

i wonder if they'll make up something i haven't done in the game already :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dyna Soar posted:

No magical items? :v:

(NO PROGRESS is being made on that, because it's on my laptop and I keep forgetting about it)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dyna Soar posted:

theres one for having neera, rasaad and dorn in the party at the same time.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Vikar Jerome posted:

theres one for having neera, rasaad and dorn in the party at the same time.

Self-Flagellant!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I hope they out in an Ironman achievement. Don't know quite how it'd work though

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fong posted:

I hope they out in an Ironman achievement. Don't know quite how it'd work though

there is none unless it's one of the hidden ones but judging from the names of the hidden ones it doesn't seem like it. they're all on steam for both EE's but not active yet until the new patch hits.

all the achievements are fairly standard boring poo poo plus story and character progression ones. there is a solo one though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kill kangaxx as a wizard slayer solo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

so im watching the last stream they did on the 4th of march and doing early game stuff and showing off some of the new patch features too, some seem cool, most seem stylish just for the sake of it. they say you can turn them all off though we'll see.

stuff so far: (i'll spoiler some SoD plot poo poo)
-Infravision only shows red character sprites when they are in the dark only, they are normal if they are in a light source.
the basement of the duchal palace actually has some usage in siege of dragonspear rather than just being a empty room with a FMV that played like in the original (pure guesswork here, but i think it was originally how you followed sarevok down to the undercity hence why that fmv plays)
the streets of baldur's gate are loving packed like an actual city, there are more characters on screen than i have ever seen in any IE game, they mentioned these were refugees from the plot of SoD, probably to explain why bg1 streets are empty compared.
-all characters and npcs now have a black highlight plus when you hover the mouse over them they get a blue outline.
-the green character circles are no longer circles, they are all oblong.
-lol pausing the game now makes the background go grayscale like timestop but not the characters.
-While in baldurs gate in SoD you get a new travel map to different locations of baldurs gate city, alot like how you would travel to little areas in athkatla rather than the whole thing, this is only for SoD most likely.
-Save games on the load menu now have your main character's name next to them if you run more than one character at any given time i guess.

Legacy of Bhaal mode is pretty much Heart of Fury from IWD and Paths of the Damned from PoE (in that all enemies compositions are different than normal game) and they seem to have their own version of SCS going on for the AI from what i can gather with how they are explaining it, but we'll see.

COOL NEW ITEM: you can get some glasses you can wear (they look like the glasses of identification) that let you see extra planar creatures who are randomly wandering around the map and then use the item to attempt to summon them into the prime world. i like that.

it's an hour and half long video so im still watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aPrnhaMa-0

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 10, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

so im watching the last stream they did on the 4th of march and doing early game stuff and showing off some of the new patch features too, some seem cool, most seem stylish just for the sake of it. they say you can turn them all off though we'll see.

stuff so far: (i'll spoiler some SoD plot poo poo)
Infravision only shows red character sprites when they are in the dark only, they are normal if they are in a light source.
the basement of the duchal palace actually has some usage in siege of dragonspear rather than just being a empty room with a FMV that played like in the original (pure guesswork here, but i think it was originally how you followed sarevok down to the undercity hence why that fmv plays)
the streets of baldur's gate are loving packed like an actual city, there are more characters on screen than i have ever seen in any IE game, they mentioned these were refugees from the plot of SoD, probably to explain why bg1 streets are empty compared.
all characters and npcs now have a black highlight plus when you hover the mouse over them they get a blue outline.
the green character circles are no longer circles, they are all oblong.
lol pausing the game now makes the background go grayscale like timestop but not the characters.
while in baldurs gate in SoD you get a new travel map to different locations of baldurs gate city, alot like how you would travel to little areas in athkatla rather than the whole thing, this is only for SoD most likely.

it's an hour and half long video so im still watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aPrnhaMa-0

Can you turn all this poo poo off if you don't want it?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Can you turn all this poo poo off if you don't want it?

yeah they keep saying so. i dont think you can turn of the big menu redesigns and go back to the old lovely EE blue & gold though but that poo poo has apparently made super easier to mod now so there's that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It looks like there's a map toggle that lets you highlight walkable areas too. Turns the map light blue and black with the blue bits walkable. That's desperately needed

I like the health bars too tbh

Also looks like a heavily updated and customizable party script thing. Looks like you can select or customise things like item use, spell use, prefer melee/ranged etc too (as in you can toggle them on or off)

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 10, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

yeah im liking some of these changes.

also i'm wrong on legacy of bhaal, that's just a heart of fury mode. the enemy compositions are different across all difficulty sliders, they showed off a room on easy with 4 skeletons, easy standard poo poo, then did the same room on Insane and there is a total clusterfuck of different skeletal types now including some weird skeletal bat thing. the room is full of poo poo. 40:08 in the video above.

level cap for SoD is around level 10 but they say bg2 will scale to the that level so it won't ruin the balance when you import.

new quest journal pops up is hoverable among the hud and you move it around and you can also search for stuff in the journal. looks neat.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 10, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the beta patches are out if you want to see the new ui features in bg1 and 2 ee.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/46832/the-betazoids-guide-to-the-beta-testing-galaxy-bg-ee-bgii-ee-2-0-edition

on steam you new the beta access codes (it's public but you still need a code for some reason)

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - aeK4fiexKuz4voav
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition - zee5Ahgegoh4Ohgh

edit: played around with it. new character record screen is poo poo, you now have to click through a bunch of menus to read any of it. the black outline and highlight stuff looks even worse in motion but you can turn these off and reload the game. launching old save games netted me a bunch of silly achievements instantly (lol there is one for killing the two dudes in candlekeep) and the world map in bg2 crashed the game, it is a beta after all. i have no opinion on the new journal. i guess it's easier to find poo poo now? not that it was hard in first place.

oh and they replaced the tooltip scroll with just a black textureless box for some reason. it's like the iwd one but with less charm.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 11, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I decided to import my Baldur's Gate II character into BG1 so I wouldn't have to reroll everything, and apparently if I actually continue like this (I just fired up the tutorial) I will start the game at level 8. :stare:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The only thing I want is someone to fix Ascensions for EE :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Smol posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an EE-compatible Ascension on the Beamdog forums.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Smol posted:

There's a beta release of an EE specific Ascension build on the beamdog forums somewhere. It was pretty stable.

E:fb.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Oh, nice! The original porting project wasn't going anywhere and I didn't know someone had started working on in. Gotta check if I still have my BG1EE F/M/T save somewhere, it might be time to move him to BG2!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I decided to import my Baldur's Gate II character into BG1 so I wouldn't have to reroll everything, and apparently if I actually continue like this (I just fired up the tutorial) I will start the game at level 8. :stare:

What were you expecting was going to happen when you imported a level 8 character into BG1? :v:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You could use that method to play as Abdel Adrian, the canon protagonist according to the novels and a recent adventure modu :commissar:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

You could use that method to play as Abdel Adrian, the canon protagonist according to the novels and a recent adventure modu :commissar:

There's no justification of Abdel Adrian's role necessary. He is the canon protagonist, as mentioned in the Grand History of the Realms. Abdel is the Bhaalspawn, plain and simple.

Also he was actually the main character of my first BG game to finish. Tales of the Sword Coast came with a pre generated version of the canon party (to explore the expansion content with.) As a 10 year old I was all too happy to take these leveled and geared characters to smash around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
abdel adrian is a disgusting gimp and it is my utmost wish that sarevok had strangled him as a child

or gorion

that'd work too