Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's one of the least visually dull ones, too. Bad minimalist posters are a modern plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fsmhunk posted:

I love the way he draws Thanos eyes.

Even though I like Thanos in all the Hickman stuff, the way he's drawn in those books is always so dull to me. In almost every single panel in Infinity Gauntlet he has this mad passion to him just waiting to be unleashed, it's the main thing that keeps him from just being a Darkseid clone, but in Infinity and Secret Wars he's closer to just being this stoic dour man mountain which isn't particularly evocative

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keep in mind Ron Lim penciled the back half of Infinity Gauntlet. As much as I love George Perez, I think Lim brought just a little more more to Thanos.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

redbackground posted:

Some talented fellow named George Caltsoudas has created posters for the first 15 episodes of B:TAS, and they are really well done (I think the Two-Face companion posters are quite nice.)

Part 1 (eps 1-9)

Part 2 (eps 10-15)

Sounds as if he's going to keep going, too.

These are great. However, I would really like to see something like his for S:TAS and Justice League, since those series never had title cards in the first place.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Lurdiak posted:

Those are really neat and the style is really good, it incorporates the noir deco look of the show perfectly. Unfortunately, minimalist posters have been ruined for me by people who make things like this:

:barf:

Didn't realize Pepsi was a sponsor of BvS:DoJ.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just noticed they even got the title of the movie wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The best part is they got the title wrong.

EDIT: Dammit!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Those are really neat and the style is really good, it incorporates the noir deco look of the show perfectly. Unfortunately, minimalist posters have been ruined for me by people who make things like this:

If you want to get more mad about minimalist posters, there are people on your side: http://www.fastcodesign.com/3043156/its-time-for-the-minimalist-poster-trend-to-die

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Good article. I confess I can't tell which one of these are anarchism and which is gender identity disorder...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

That's an interesting LOSS edit.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's an interesting LOSS edit.

:shittypop:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Just noticed they even got the title of the movie wrong.

considering it has the release date listed as "Summer 2015" and the logo they used to reveal the movie at the bottom I'm gonna say that was made shortly after it was announced and before they changed the name like 4 times.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Dario the Wop posted:

Good article. I confess I can't tell which one of these are anarchism and which is gender identity disorder...

I'm pretty sure the one in the top right is Snoopy's empty supper dish, at least.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

Oh I get it.

1. The Ring - Septic Tank Edition
2. That one tile that upsets my OCD
3. The laziest rave
4. Albino baboon running away in a snowstorm

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you haven't read the article and want the answers:

1. Raider of the Lost Ark
2. Anarchism
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Gender something

First one got me pretty mad because what the gently caress.

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't call most of those minimalist though. Nothing to Fear and Be a Clown would be the closest in my opinion.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

First one got me pretty mad because what the gently caress.

Is that the one where Indy runs from the boulder?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

Is that the one where Indy runs from the boulder?
That it is.

ChickenSuit posted:

I wouldn't call most of those minimalist though. Nothing to Fear and Be a Clown would be the closest in my opinion.
I wouldn't consider those posters minimalist either--there's a limited color palette, but otherwise, they're full illustrations.

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."

redbackground posted:

That it is.

I wouldn't consider those posters minimalist either--there's a limited color palette, but otherwise, they're full illustrations.

Yeah, I don't personally think they are either. Those two could be argued for though. They're mostly stripped of extraneous details which is the core of minimalist design.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Keep in mind Ron Lim penciled the back half of Infinity Gauntlet. As much as I love George Perez, I think Lim brought just a little more more to Thanos.

Thanos is one of my favorite characters period, and nobody draws a Thanos like Ron Lim.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

Thanos is one of my favorite characters period, and nobody draws a Thanos like Ron Lim.

I don't know who's responsible, but the Silver Surfer always looked mirror-shiny when Ron Lim was doing the art. I thought he had a great way of drawing the cosmic stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

prefect posted:

I don't know who's responsible, but the Silver Surfer always looked mirror-shiny when Ron Lim was doing the art. I thought he had a great way of drawing the cosmic stuff.

Ron Lim actually drew the shiny parts and the colorist just did a good job at not messing it up.

That's the original art for Silver Surfer #50 (which is basically Infinity Gauntlet #0)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dario the Wop posted:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Ron Lim's work is crazy-underrated. His characters' faces are expressive, his action is typically crisp and kinetic, he's an excellent storyteller who doesn't generally let the flash and spectacle interfere with the story. But you never hear about him as Really Fuckin' Good, likely because he was doing fairly conventional superhero work - it's just that he was doing that fairly conventional superhero work very well.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wish I could remember for sure, but didn't Comics Should Be Good once have a "Ron Lim Rule," that if Ron Lim couldn't draw your costume design, it wasn't any good?

Or am I thinking of a completely different artist?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Keromaru5 posted:

I wish I could remember for sure, but didn't Comics Should Be Good once have a "Ron Lim Rule," that if Ron Lim couldn't draw your costume design, it wasn't any good?

I googled his work and saw some of the most extraordinarily off-model, horrific Sonic the Hedgehog art imaginable.

so...if we extend that from costumes to character design, I think the rule holds.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 18, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo Sonic's eye :stonk:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I googled his work and saw some of the most extraordinarily off-model, horrific Sonic the Hedgehog art imaginable.

so...if we extend that from costumes to character design, I think the rule holds.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Keromaru5 posted:

You're thinking of Ron Frenz, who has an even more straightforward style than Lim. CSBG didn't invent that idea, it's one of those things that's been floating around comics for a while.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Benito Cereno posted:

You're thinking of Ron Frenz, who has an even more straightforward style than Lim. CSBG didn't invent that idea, it's one of those things that's been floating around comics for a while.

Thank you. I knew I was getting someone mixed up.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I actually super like this. Is that weird?

I agree with redbackground that they should be bigger and take up more of the poster. And I would make the dull beige maybe a stark white for contrast. But The actual image looks borderline iconic to me, pepsi or no.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Are they about to gently caress?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Always

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

From Batman: Odyssey, by Neal Adams.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Please tell me that's a deliberate homage to the Doom comic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

From Batman: Odyssey, by Neal Adams.

Odyssey is the one that every issue starts with a hairy shirtless batman explaining what's happening, isn't it?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Gann Jerrod posted:

Please tell me that's a deliberate homage to the Doom comic.

THANK YOU. I was wracking my brain to figure out why that looked so familiar to me...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I really love Medri's work

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Odyssey is the one that every issue starts with a hairy shirtless batman explaining what's happening, isn't it?

Nope.

He doesn't remain shirtless the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012