Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/iamgavinjames/status/704501924855308288

There has to be video of every single person on the right defending Mitt on TAX RETURNS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
i see a dude stepping back a half-step

so if that was a "shove" it was an extremely limp-wristed shove that probably could've been handled with a little bit less than a full on chokeslam

anyway this argument is dumb

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

What the gently caress is it with young Republicans and bow ties

ive been known to wear a bow tie, mainly because they upset people for no good reason

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

lol if you're so far gone you actually want to see trump as president

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Legit can't really tell what's going on in that .gif, too short, small and blurry, might be one of those "you see what you want to see" situations.

Venom Snake posted:

It's his plan to pivot to the center in the general. He will make a kickstarter and match every dollar. Crowdfunded fascism is the way of the future my friend.

I want to see the Trump Wall stretch goals and backer rewards. Top two donors get to be huge stone statues either side of the big, byootiful door. If it makes double the asked-for funds they'll build the Canada wall too.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whats a more retarded overaction: choke slamming a dude into a table because he lightly shoved you or building a great wall of china times 10 to keep people who don't exist out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It all makes sense now. Trump is the white Louis Farrakhan.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

There has to be video of every single person on the right defending Mitt on TAX RETURNS.

To be fair Mitt probably just avoided paying any taxes while Donald probably paid 0 and also disappeared some people.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Trump as the literal actual President would own so unbelievably hard.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quadrophrenic posted:

i see a dude stepping back a half-step

:rolleyes:

quadrophrenic posted:

so if that was a "shove" it was an extremely limp-wristed shove that probably could've been handled with a little bit less than a full on chokeslam

anyway this argument is dumb

Brannock posted:

Are you literally incapable of seeing rapid backwards movement?

I've already said in this thread that the SS agent vastly overreacted and crossed a serious boundary

Brannock posted:

The retaliation was way over the top

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

You better dig through those drawers man, ebay tells me that could be worth upwards of $10

holy poo poo either you guessed or you looked it up, nice

i bet i could make like 0.25 times that much selling the baseball cards that probably were in the same drawer

ebay doesnt seem to have prices for a high school quiz bowl championship ring though

man i forgot about that drawer. the dozen dollar drawer

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mitt Romney is the generic corporate villain of the week on captain planet and Donald Trump is literally cobra commander.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hahahaha that's wonderful

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

oystertoadfish posted:

once the next team playing on the softball field was short a player and i didnt have poo poo to do so i volunteered to fill in, turned out they were a bunch of secret service people, but i think the ones that work in offices in the dc area stopping counterfeit money?

anyway one of them gave me this secret service pin, and he seemed to think it was really cool of him to be giving me this great secret service thing so i was like 'oh thanks man' and i put it in a drawer and i have no idea where it is

thats my secret service story

It was pretty cool of him

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

"fascism is good" - all trump supporters, whether out loud or tacitly

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

It was pretty cool of him

they were all very nice, and i dont think i was sarcastic or goony about it, i would hope i acted very appropriately in response

edit: sarcastic or goony at the time. now im a sarcastic goon. nothing can save me now

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Diamond & Silk stumping for Trump and throwing major shade on David Duke, the KKK, the Media, and the Democratic party:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR93wQm-YDk

It's about UNITY folks, UNITY!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yeah

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Venom Snake posted:

Whats a more retarded overaction: choke slamming a dude into a table because he lightly shoved you or building a great wall of china times 10 to keep people who don't exist out.

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
To be fair: it's the Great Wall of China divided by ten, not times ten.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Christ how loving difficult is it for people to actually go after Trump on poo poo that isn't immediately falsifiable, there's hundreds of this stuff

Instead idiots elect to tackle "issues" that can be successfully argued down and makes their position look even more laughable than it immediately comes off as

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This trump kkk poo poo is such a work, he's on tape instantly disavowing him on Friday when he first heard, now he has rubio attacking racists in the southern states, which is gonna let him run up the score even more and on wednesday he gets to say "oh it was a bad mic and liberal media tricks, i said three days earlier that i disavow, can you believe these guys" and it will work because half his supporters will buy antimedia narratives and the other half think he's just playing the game and pretending to not like the KKK because of political correctness, and theyre glad he is a secret white supremacist

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find Trump there, staring out at you! - the Azhar Book, chapter 4, verse 3, line 7

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

oystertoadfish posted:

they were all very nice, and i dont think i was sarcastic or goony about it, i would hope i acted very appropriately in response

That's good!! I met some people who worked on LIGO and they gave me a NRAO pin, this is kind of like your story

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Montasque posted:

The GOP is not good at long term strategy it seems.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Montasque posted:

Diamond & Silk stumping for Trump and throwing major shade on David Duke, the KKK, the Media, and the Democratic party:

i want to tax these ladies more

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
you've really thrown a wrench into my trump-nailing efforts there brannock :argh:

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Out of all the leaders people could have picked to be their Duce, to show masculinity in the face of leftist PC millenial crybabies, they picked the orange man with a 180 degree combover who gets mad when you make fun of his stubby little fingers

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Fiction posted:

"fascism is good" - all trump supporters, whether out loud or tacitly

Nationalism is actually the antidote to globalist neoliberal hegemony, so, yes.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Maoist Pussy posted:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Montasque posted:

Are they employees of the Trump campaign? And are Diamond and Silk really their names?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

- a white person

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Maoist Pussy posted:

I'd consider voting for trump if Scalia was still alive and if I wasn't dating someone likely to be deported

Like yeah at least it wouldn't be boring

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brannock posted:

Christ how loving difficult is it for people to actually go after Trump on poo poo that isn't immediately falsifiable, there's hundreds of this stuff

Instead idiots elect to tackle "issues" that can be successfully argued down and makes their position look even more laughable than it immediately comes off as

You have been saying this for months and have yet to bring up one of these hundreds of things. Also you can attack Trump for literally anything because the dude is the textbook definition of an empty suit. His policy positions are so insane and mercurial he comes off like a magic 8 ball that pulls its answers from a twitter markov generator.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/704529177865752576

GOP intellectual class with the hottest takes this cycle.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maoist Pussy posted:

Do you have poo poo like those poetry magnets but of internet-communist buzzwords and every time you post you just throw a couple randos at your screen to help out?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/704529177865752576

GOP intellectual class with the hottest takes this cycle.

He's not wrong through?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Fiction posted:

- a white person

Are you trying to imply that black people are not Americans? Because you are wrong and you should be ashamed of it.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

So Donald is going to actually be immune to all attacks by November, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Why Republicans should brace for a contested convention

Republican commentators have dismissed concerns over a contested convention with a hand-waving reference to “winner-take-all” primaries later in the calendar. Like so much of the rest of Republican reasoning, that confidence is built on a set of factual assumptions not born out in the world around us.

These are the reasons we can anticipate a contest at the convention to select the nominee.

1) Few delegates will be assigned in a true, statewide, winner-take-all contest.

Only eight states, delivering less than 400 of the necessary 1247 delegates needed for a majority, will be awarded in a winner-take-all fashion. One of them, Ohio, is a likely win for Kasich who is otherwise a delegate laggard. He is unlikely to drop out before that March 15th primary.

2) The system is only designed to select a winner if one candidate can consistently top 50%.

Most of the states that commentators describe as “winner-take-all” are in fact proportional unless one candidate tops 50%. That list of about 12 states includes some big ones, like Texas (155) and New York (95). Something remarkable and unpredictable would have to happen in the five weeks or so for someone to reach 50% just about anywhere.

3) Trump has a hard ceiling somewhere in the mid-thirties. So does every other GOP candidate.

Pollsters have made clear that Trump’s support dries up beyond about a third of GOP voters in almost every state. What they haven’t mentioned is that practically every other candidate experiences a similar, fairly low ceiling.

Cruz may actually top out a bit lower than Trump. Pollsters point to voters’ generally favorable image of Rubio. However, that only extends to their view of him as a person, not as a candidate.

Once negative campaigning focuses in on Rubio, his embrace of immigration reform will translate into a hard cap. That cap is made worse by Rubio’s general weakness as a candidate. He may be less annoying than Cruz and less revolting than Trump, but he’s not very good at this. We have a deeply divided Republican primary electorate, creating strong incentives to stay in the race for candidates in the top four or five.

4) A vast majority of delegates are ‘soft-pledged,’ meaning they shed their attachment to their assigned candidate after a failed first ballot.

Here’s where the Republican ‘Red Wedding Scenario’ gets its energy. Most GOP delegates are only locked into their selection if there is a clear winner. Soft-committed delegates are basically only committed if the convention doesn’t matter. After a first failed ballot, serious, involved, committed members of the Republican Party – the kind of people who become convention delegates – are set free from the yahoos who voted in the primaries. They get to pick the winner.

In 100 out of 100 potential runs of that scenario, Donald Trump fails to win the nomination. In fact, there is reason to expect that the nominee would be someone who wasn’t even a candidate in the primaries.

5) There are no brokers.

Note the vital difference between a ‘contested’ and a ‘brokered’ convention. Decades ago, before primaries played such a prominent role, powerful interests in the parties negotiated the convention outcome. This was a vital service, as 2500 people who don’t know each other will often have difficulty organizing themselves toward a sensible outcome without the help of some leadership. In a scenario like we face this year, a dozen or so leading figures should be able to help mediate an outcome prior to the convention, at least limiting the convention delegates to two or three reasonably options.

There are no authoritative figures inside the party with the credibility and influence it takes to bring potential rivals together. It will be an unpredictable, bare-knuckles fight. There is a chance that a contest on the convention floor could extend beyond the convention, with more than one claimant insisting that he was the winner in a disputed outcome that lands in the courts.

6) And a note about Rule 40.

Some have pointed out that Rule 40 would bar consideration of any potential nominee who failed to win a majority of the delegates in at least 8 states. Rule 40 doesn’t matter because the party gets to make the rules more or less on the fly, within the constraints of what is politically possible. If primary results dictate that Rule 40 becomes a problem, then the party will simply change it at the start of the convention.

The real difficulty here is that we have no political structure in place to allow the Republican Party to select its nominee in a convention. Over the past seventy years or so our conventions have evolved from a real political process to a pep rally focused on marketing a nominee who, for all intents and purposes, was selected before anyone cast a primary ballot.

Forcing the convention to perform the complex task of selecting the party’s nominee for the White House is like taking sailboat down a Class 5 rapid. In some ways, this kind of catastrophic institutional challenge might be just the medicine we need. Maybe we will recognize the cost of building an entire political platform on fantasies. Perhaps out of the wreckage of Cleveland we can build something more credible. Evolutionary forces have a way of imposing discipline when we fail to do it ourselves.

• Locked thread