Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dexie posted:

Tauros was arguably one of the top five Pokemon in Gen I. It's almost heartbreaking seeing how far he's fallen. :(

My childhood gen 1 team was Arcanine, Sandslash, Gyarados, Mew, Mewtwo, and Articuno. Ran that 5th grade classroom. Being one of the only kids in the class who actually took the time to level everything to 100 helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I once beat a kid with 6 Mewtwos and he got so mad that he tried to forcefully yank the link cable from my Game Boy but failed and ended up dropping his and breaking it.:smug:

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Celebi giveaway's live now, by the way.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Classtoise posted:

I don't THINK you can trade to the X version from Red, Blue, or Yellow.

On top of that, you wouldn't be able to send him back :\ You can wirelessly trade between DSes to evolve it, and trade it back, if you both have a copy each of Red, Blue, or Yellow.

I was referring to only X and Y. I have haunter in my Y copy. She's had X. If I trade haunted to her, it'll change? Then she can just trade it back from her 3ds?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Just watched Pokemon Origins, and... eh, it was a thing, I guess. Not exactly something I'd watch again, the writing was mostly terrible but the fights were entertaining (aside from Red's obsession with Mega Punch/Kick) and all the nods to the game were fun as well. They certainly took a lot of liberties with the plot, but it's gen 1 Pokemon and there wasn't much to it in the first place so whatever. The ending fell kinda flat with the mega evolution stuff, though.

It's a shame they had to fit the whole thing into a couple of hours. Fast-forwarding through the badge collecting was a bit lovely, but trying to cram all the gym leader fights into the time they had wouldn't have worked any better so I didn't mind the different approach here.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

CJ posted:

I loving hate this motherfucking WRITING STYLE where the GOD drat AUTHOR acts like an edgy teenager.

Reminds me of this classic cringey post from reddit http://imgur.com/gallery/7mwNY9v

http://www.cookingcomically.com/

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was 16 years old when the Pokemon red/blue games came out, had a game boy, but never got into them. Saw it as childish bullshit. Been playing yellow lately since it hit the eshop after X/Y were my first games and man, this poo poo is adorable and awesome and I'm kicking myself for not getting into this series sooner.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
man it sure would be nice to have save states in a game like this... *sighs wistfully in the general direction of my 3ds*

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im glad of limited availability pokemon and when people get mad about it, my resolve to catch them all is strengthened

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I named my Pikachu Chiku and I don't know why.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zoo06 posted:

Give away? Where/how?
Nvm: found it

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 1, 2016

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

chaosapiant posted:

I was referring to only X and Y. I have haunter in my Y copy. She's had X. If I trade haunted to her, it'll change? Then she can just trade it back from her 3ds?

Oh, yeah, X to Y works just fine. Yeah, if you trade Haunter over he'll evolve into Gengar, and she can send him back. He won't have any of the trade benefits/penalties (he'll obey regardless of badges and levels, but only gain normal experience)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Give away? Where/how?

Mystery Gift in any gen 6 game (X/Y/OR/AS) on the main menu and select the receive from internet option.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

chaosapiant posted:

Question: Haunter transforms into Gengar only on a trade? What if I used my wife's own DS and copy of X, trade her my Haunter? Will it go-Gengar? Then I can just trade it back to my DS?

Step 1: Choose Charmander.
Step 2: Hightail it to Viridian Forest without fighting your rival on route 22. Get Charmander to level 12 or so.
Step 3: Get poisoned by a Weedle before the first trainer of the last straightaway in Viridian Forest.
Step 4: This is the hard one. Walk in front of said trainer on the same step the screen flashes to indicate poison damage. That's every 4 steps. This step also needs to be a wild encounter, which is only possible if that's a poison flash step. That can take like 20 tries.
Step 5: Faint from poison in battle. When you white out you'll see the exclamation mark of the trainer seeing you. It's kinda cool.
Step 6: Go fight your rival on route 22. Kill his Pidgey, then growl at his Squirtle 6 times. Might be difficult to survive that long, that's why potions exist. After 6 growls you can lose.
Step 7: Go back to Viridian Forest. First step in the menu will pop. Press start. Get attacked by Gengar.
Step 8: Catch that fucker.
Step 9: He's level 1. Put him in front, fight any wild encounter. Switch to Charmander, kill the encounter.

Bam. Level 100 Gengar. No trading required.

Ninja: Goddammit it's X go trade with your wife.

Non-ninja: Or put a Haunter up on GTS asking for a Haunter. That works surprisingly well.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 1, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chaosapiant posted:

Question: Haunter transforms into Gengar only on a trade? What if I used my wife's own DS and copy of X, trade her my Haunter? Will it go-Gengar? Then I can just trade it back to my DS?

Yeah, its not super complicated.

There are other trade evos that get more in depth (Having to trade two specific pokemon, having to trade while holding an item) but Gengar/Machamp/Golem/Alakazam are the OG just trade em crew.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

how are there more of these

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pokemon music is so good at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZITZXTW5oc

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

lmao

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Does anyone have that like 4 page list of all of the major bugs in Red/Blue? I'm sure its been post a ton recently, but I haven't found it

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Zoo06 posted:

Thanks to Twitch's marathon and the movie, I have never needed a Pokemon more. This anniversary is awesome. :neckbeard:

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Question. I don't have Pokemon Bank, but I think I am going to get it.

Can I do the following?

1) Start a new save file in Pokemon Omega Ruby.
2) Download the mythical Pokemon through Mystery Gift.
3) Upload said mythical Pokemon to Pokemon Bank.
4) Start a brand new save file on Pokemon Omega Ruby and do the entire process over again (go back to step 1)

Can I do this infinitely and get an entire box saved in Pokemon Bank of the give away Pokemon this way?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Spectacle Rock posted:

Question. I don't have Pokemon Bank, but I think I am going to get it.

Can I do the following?

1) Start a new save file in Pokemon Omega Ruby.
2) Download the mythical Pokemon through Mystery Gift.
3) Upload said mythical Pokemon to Pokemon Bank.
4) Start a brand new save file on Pokemon Omega Ruby and do the entire process over again (go back to step 1)

Can I do this infinitely and get an entire box saved in Pokemon Bank of the give away Pokemon this way?

I believe so, but why do you need that many Celebi? There was already a Celebi distribution this gen, so they're not as valuable for trading.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

The Glumslinger posted:

Does anyone have that like 4 page list of all of the major bugs in Red/Blue? I'm sure its been post a ton recently, but I haven't found it
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
To answer the question of hope and joy: It just bothers me for some reason when there is a Pokemon that cannot be obtained through normal means. So, if I can get 20 of them, of course I will. Back in the day you could get ONE Mew if you went to an event. Then, you had to be careful. There were no move tutors. If you let Mew forget Metronome or Transform it was gone forever. In short, I want to be able to raise multiple versions of event only legendary Pokemon. If I just had *one* Mew, and that was all I could get, I would just keep it in a box forever probably.

I feel better having more than one legendary. I feel if I have just one it has to stay in the box and just "be there."

So, I'll stockpile all the legendary event only Pokemon that I can. I guess it is also born out of how exclusive they used to be when I was a kid.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I finally found the post I was looking for:

quote:

Fun glitches from Red/Blue/Yellow that make the game EXCITING/nigh-unplayable:

• Leech Seed and Toxic went off the same damage calculator when they were stacked, making Leech Seed drain double the damage Toxic dealt and Toxic deal double the damage Leech Seed drained every time you reached the end of a turn.
  • Toxic turned into normal Poison if you switched out.
  • Critical Hits were based off of Speed, making fast sweepers do insane amounts of crits.
  • Instakill moves were also based off of Speed, making most of them totally useless because they were on slower dudes.
  • Due to a glitch, Focus Energy CUTS YOUR CRITICAL HIT RATE BY 75% instead of doubling it like it's SUPPOSED to do.
  • Criticals would ignore stat-ups from both parties rather than just the target. 3 Swords Dances would do more damage than a Critical, resulting in hilarious lucksacking scenarios.
  • Using Agility would completely negate the Speed loss from Paralysis. As in, Paralysis cuts your Speed in half, and Agility just gives you back your regular Speed stat and THEN doubles it. The same thing goes for Swords Dance/Burn.
  • If you were Frozen, you'd NEVER thaw unless somebody used a Fire move against you, or...
  • Haze would thaw out the enemy in addition to its intended effect.
  • You could use Counter on OHKO moves to instakill your enemies. You could also use Counter on a move that hit your Substitute.
  • Combine the previous Counter hilarity with the fact that it only works on Normal and Fighting attacks.
  • You had to save every time you wanted to switch Boxes.
  • EVERY attack in the game (except for Swift) had at least a 1/256 chance of missing.
  • Wrap, Bind, Fire Spin, and Clamp prevented the opponent from doing ANYTHING for 2-5 moves. Also, if you switched out while you were holding the enemy, they'll STILL be considered trapped during the switching turn.
  • Whirlwind and Roar didn't do anything in Versus. If the enemy stat-ups, you're hosed.
  • If you kill somebody with Hyper Beam you don't have to recharge.
  • You know how Rest restores status? You know how Burn lowers Attack and Paralysis lowers Speed? Well, if you use Rest, you get rid of the status, yeah, but your stats still stay lowered until you switch. There's a point where you just give up asking about these things.
  • Ghosts are immune to Struggle because the latter is Normal type instead of typeless.
  • If you hit with a super-effective move, the message that displays only reflects whether or not the move was super-effective against the enemy's SECOND type.
  • If you stat-upped too high your stat would roll over into hilariously low numbers.
  • Waking up from Sleep takes an entire turn all its own. Hope you like being put back to sleep, because you just announced to your enemy to do just that!
  • Substitutes don't protect you from Status. If somebody kills a Sub with Hyper Beam, they don't have to recharge. If somebody kills a Sub with Explosion or Selfdestruct, THEY DON'T DIE FROM USING IT.
  • If you use the move Substitute when you have exactly 25% HP left, you'll kill yourself.
  • Rage. Oh god, Rage. Damage from Rage increases, a level at a time, every time you take a hit. HOWEVER-- as soon as Rage connects, the user will stop obeying and be unable to use any other moves or switch out UNTIL IT DIES. Not just that, but it never loses any PP in Rage other than the initial 1. ON TOP OF THAT, if Rage ever misses, its accuracy becomes 1/256.
  • Mimic randomly mimics an enemy move. You can use this to have duplicate moves on your moveset.
  • Disable randomly disables an enemy move. It also builds the Rage counter.
  • If you use Bide, and the enemy uses a non-attacking move, it counts as if they used whatever they hit you with LAST TURN for Bide damage when you counter. This means that you can't always avoid getting countered by Bide.
  • Blizzard had 90% accuracy.
  • When a Pokémon's HP is 255 or 511 below its max HP, recovery moves will fail. Don't ask. Just don't.
  • Multi-hit moves use the same number for damage. If one hit criticals, they ALL will.
  • Alright, get this. Say if you use Fly or Dig and you go up high/dig underground-- but on the turn you're supposed to attack you fully paralyse or hit yourself due to confusion. You STAY IN HIGH/UNDERGROUND MODE UNTIL YOU SWITCH OUT OR USE THAT MOVE AGAIN. As in, the enemy will NEVER be able to hit you again unless they use Swift or you LET them hit you.
  • hahahahahahah the special stat

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

To answer the question of hope and joy: It just bothers me for some reason when there is a Pokemon that cannot be obtained through normal means. So, if I can get 20 of them, of course I will. Back in the day you could get ONE Mew if you went to an event. Then, you had to be careful. There were no move tutors. If you let Mew forget Metronome or Transform it was gone forever. In short, I want to be able to raise multiple versions of event only legendary Pokemon. If I just had *one* Mew, and that was all I could get, I would just keep it in a box forever probably.

I feel better having more than one legendary. I feel if I have just one it has to stay in the box and just "be there."

So, I'll stockpile all the legendary event only Pokemon that I can. I guess it is also born out of how exclusive they used to be when I was a kid.

chill out and catch some mons and go on adventures with them

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

this rules

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7Y_-uZmG4

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Looper posted:

man it sure would be nice to have save states in a game like this... *sighs wistfully in the general direction of my 3ds*

me? i think that's good, promoting honest game play values. thanks, nintendo!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

This channel is full of LIES. There is NO TRUTH IN THE WORLD.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That song was not good. That's my hot take.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

mandatory lesbian posted:

is there a list for the trainers and the special values? like say i want a bulbasaur, who would i have to fight to get that?

http://puu.sh/257S

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

mabels big day posted:

Ok so the way the safari zone works is dumb as hell. Throwing rocks at Tauros, Kangaskhan, and Scyther makes their flee rate nearly 100%, and their catch rates are impossibly low even without using bait. Someone kill me. I need to die.

You chose this. You knew what gen 1 was capable of

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker

Blhue posted:

You chose this. You knew what gen 1 was capable of

That's why you go to the area of the Safari Zone with the Pokemon you want, fly to Cinnabar Island or surf south to Seafoam, then swim up and down the coastline. Same pokemon, but nothing runs away.

I think. I haven't gotten far enough in the VC releases to do it again yet and it's been a while since I did it in the originals.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

The Glumslinger posted:

Looks like a list of FEATURES to me. Definitely not bugs.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

that ivy guy posted:

me? i think that's good, promoting honest game play values. thanks, nintendo!

Skipped Brock, taught my Rattata the Water Gun TM from Mt. Moon, went back and got my Boulder Badge. Honest gameplay values! :haw:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

What a stupidly toned post. Lol you own those underfunded and underworked developers working on a huge game on weak as poo poo hardware, nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

How Ingratiating! posted:

Skipped Brock, taught my Rattata the Water Gun TM from Mt. Moon, went back and got my Boulder Badge. Honest gameplay values! :haw:

I love Geodude's Gen 1 pompadour.

• Locked thread