Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
75% is far beyond any estimate I've heard (more like 25-50%). Still an insane fraction, easily enough to put them back a century or so.

And the anti-romani animus in Europe is absolutely shocking. I've had a few western European colleagues and it's stormfront level poo poo, and these are people with PhDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You dont have to look too far: See some of the Europol posters.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

ANIME AKBAR posted:

75% is far beyond any estimate I've heard (more like 25-50%). Still an insane fraction, easily enough to put them back a century or so.

And the anti-romani animus in Europe is absolutely shocking. I've had a few western European colleagues and it's stormfront level poo poo, and these are people with PhDs.

Yeah, I mean I've definitely seen anti-semitism here but hatred of Roma is essentially endemic in the majority of Europe. Otherwise intelligent and kind people have a massive blind spot when it comes to Roma and victim blaming about their situation is a constant. Any attempt to better their situation collapses almost immediately because the assumption by most, both at the level of common people and states, is that they are congenitally incapable of being anything other than 'stupid, primitive, sly and determined robbers and leeches'. It's hella depressing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avshalom posted:

the romani people were in the exact same situation and somehow we've all forgotten how that felt. about 75% of europe's romani people died in the holocaust.

note that this is worse than the about 66% of European Jews killed in the Holocaust.

(although most estimates give it at 25%)

still, significantly bad

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Uhm, actually, I think that you guys will find out that in fact no non-jews were murdered in the holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Etymology_and_use_of_the_term

:science:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Uhm, actually, I think that you guys will find out that in fact no non-jews were murdered in the holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Etymology_and_use_of_the_term

:science:

From that very link:

quote:

Some definitions of the Holocaust include the additional five million non-Jewish victims of Nazi mass murders, bringing the total to about eleven million.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
afaik the romani term for the holocaust is porajmos/devouring, someone please correct me if i'm wrong

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Harik posted:

More like "Everyone still loving hates the Roma but jews not so much." It's always astounding just how much Europe stereotypes and despises them.

In the West, broadly and generally speaking, this is true, but there's still a lot of societally ingrained anti-semitism in Eastern Europe.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Avshalom posted:

afaik the romani term for the holocaust is porajmos/devouring, someone please correct me if i'm wrong

Sounds right, though there are a bunch of ways to spell it.

If it were just unawareness or forgetfulness, that'd be one thing. But I fear it's much worse: a deliberate effort to intentionally forget it. I've been trying all day to type up an explanation for some of the reasons for it, but gently caress it. Ultimately, they all boil down the fact that surviving tragedy and enduring oppression don't necessarily make you a person who won't oppress others and will always treat others fairly. Even Holocaust survivors are still just as subject to base human desires and urges and inhumanity as anyone else.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i want to fill my farm with romani refugees living in harmony but i'm naked all the time which probably wouldn't gel with their cultural mores

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Avshalom posted:

i want to fill my farm with romani refugees living in harmony but i'm naked all the time which probably wouldn't gel with their cultural mores

You've got a good heart all the same.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Avshalom for mod.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think this is the best one I received yet so I gotta share:

"Truth be told I know a story about a guy just like you drat straight with almost exactly the same delusional and provocative posts and one day came a man wearing a ski mask after having investigated and found where that certain person lives and threw acid on his face and made him look like two face from batman, a real story or not? It's up to you! cause it is my duty to warn you from crazy people who lust for blood so that god have mercy something similar doesn't happen to you as well... get it!"

Of course I could file a complaint with the police but on the other hand becoming a comic book villain has its appeal. Thoughts?

The funny bit is that really I didn't even say much to this guy, he went on a rant comparing arabs to rats so people asked him if he came up with this comparison on his own or plagiarized Goebbels, so he went on a tirade about the differences between "us" and "the nazis" after which I congratulated him for being better than a nazi.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 25, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

delusional and provocative
Defiant. Which, you know... "Zeev, are we the baddies?" when people need to "defy" us.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
lol

quote:

An Israeli man was critically injured by gunfire meant to stop an assailant in a stabbing attack at the Gush Etzion Junction in the West Bank.

A Palestinian assailant on Wednesday morning stabbed the man, 23, who was then hit by bullets fired by an armed bystander attempting to thwart the attack. The assailant was also hit by the gunfire. Both were taken to a Jerusalem hospital.

I am shocked, just shocked that encouraging civilians to act as armed vigilantes and making active efforts to loosen gun regulations for that purpose led to collateral damage, injured innocents, and shooting the wrong person!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Main Paineframe posted:

lol

I am shocked, just shocked that encouraging civilians to act as armed vigilantes and making active efforts to loosen gun regulations for that purpose led to collateral damage, injured innocents, and shooting the wrong person!

Soldiers. "Security forces" also refers to soldiers.

Edit - you know what a really goddamned pertinent question to bring into the I/P discussion? Gun control.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Soldiers. "Security forces" also refers to soldiers.

Edit - you know what a really goddamned pertinent question to bring into the I/P discussion? Gun control.

The first article I saw said "armed bystanders", not "security forces". I've since seen more detailed reports saying that the shooters were soldiers, who killed the victim (a uniformed IDF soldier) while only wounding the attacker, but that's hardly any better!

When politicians are actively encouraging civilians to act as armed vigilantes and use guns to stop crime, while openly putting exemptions and loopholes into gun laws and policies so that certain demographics will have far greater access to guns, that's not a question of "gun control". That's setting up a loving race war in the goddamn streets of East Jerusalem. The massive expansion of security force presence by putting a bunch of soldiers on the streets, while slightly less ridiculous, wasn't a good idea either. When both policies were first announced, I predicted that putting a bunch more armed men on the streets to stop stabbings without specific training in dealing with civilian crime would be not only ineffective but also actively dangerous to innocent bystanders. Let's not forget that many of the deadliest attacks started by stabbing an armed Israeli and taking their gun. It's reactive garbage, not a coherent and sensible policy. "Stabbings are still happening? Give more people guns! That didn't work? Even more guns!!!"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

"A very large percentage of stabbing attacks was stopped by armed bystanders shooting the attacker? Guess that's the success we're going to reinforce".

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

I couldn't find that quote in anything but your post.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I am the cloud

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I am the waves

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I believe Ariel was a fundamentally honest man. He lied to the press because that's the politics game, but never to himself. He was sincere and what he believed in became a universal truth to him, an unshakable given, like gravity. He had a huge dick. It stretched for miles. Lily called it the serpent in Eden. Although the rest of him turned blond at twelve and grey at forty, his pubes were jet-black; they gathered into slender tendrils and every few days he'd lovingly braid them so they wouldn't get knotted. When he said that he'd realised at seventy-five that the Palestinian state had to exist for Israel to be as safe and secure as possible for the Jewish people, he was telling the truth. At thirty-five he'd thought the Jews were entitled to the entirety of the borders of what was then called Palestine, because the land of Palestine was like a strangler fig - a freestanding parasite, wrapped entirely around but independent of the corpse of the original tree that rots in its depths - and Israel could lay claim to whatever its ursurpers had claimed in its absence, its Biblical allotment of space and more. Then he was vengeful. More recently he was prudent and protective. Forty years is a long time. The common factor was that he was devoted to protecting any and all Jews within the bounds of Israel, Jewish people and their ancient Jewish genitalia, their scaled Jewish penises vibrantly striped like licorice allsorts, their Jewish assholes gently humming. My Jewish womb is crying out for rainfall. The crevice between my Jewish breasts is the colour of virgin sand after high tide and it glistens with a furious sweat. I am shaking my handsome derrière. In all of history there has never been a learned woman as curaveously geometric as I am as I dance rigidly before you. It is time. Let us have sex.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

May I collect your semi-occasional, radiant poetry, in order to better understand Ariel?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Collect it and spread it, comrade! He pleaded with me to deliver the truth and that's what I'm going to do.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Todah rabah!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
תודח רבח?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yes, looks like it.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D7%AA%D7%95%D7%93%D7%94_%D7%A8%D7%91%D7%94

I looked up "jewish thank you" on google.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Crowsbeak posted:

Seriosuly Avshalom this in general is beautiful. Actually speaking of the ROmani has there been ever an attempt to give them a homeland? (Maybe former Prussia after Law and Justice destroys Poland).

The Romani don't really identify with a homeland or any place they came from originally in their traditions. It doesn't mean they don't have one (all evidence points to North India) but that the idea isn't important in their culture or to an economic organization that works best with some degree of mobile sedentism.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The old testament (I've only read NABRE in a serious way) is alllll about getting the promised land. Now that Israel exists, and holds the promised land the old testament reads differently, as what it might read like before modern Israel was formed in '48. It now has a happy ending :)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol

though the old testament does have a lot of ethnic cleansing...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The parts in the old testament which are all about 'getting the promised land' and ethnic cleansing are basically three books from the pentateuch and the book of Joshua from prophets. The old testament is generally more about how the ancient Israelites repeatedly sinned against god who had to send prophets and judges to put them back on the right track and occasionally send foreign armies and natural disasters their way to punish them. It's also about how almost every single israelite monarch was either a lecher, an idolater or just plain incompetent.

And then there's Ecclesiastes which is just a good piece of literature.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
spoiler tag that poo poo man im still on book of numbers

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Numbers 31 I suppose?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
At an official state memorial service for Ariel Sharon, held to mark the second anniversary of his passing, Netanyahu criticized his Gaza withdrawal as a failure and complained that it contributed to terrorism...right in the middle of his memorial speech for Sharon.

quote:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attacked former prime minister Ariel Sharon's 2005 withdrawal from the Gaza Strip at a memorial ceremony marking two years since Sharon's death Monday evening at the Knesset.

Netanyahu, who quit Sharon's government to protest the withdrawal, said leaving the Gaza Strip did not achieve Sharon's goals of bringing about security and peace.

"In Gaza, we received a base for Hamas terror adjacent to our territory," Netanyahu said. "Unfortunately, transferring control over and responsibility for Gaza to the Palestinians not only did not set us on the path to peace, it enhanced the arming of terror organizations. Our obligation is to at least learn the necessary lessons from this episode."

On the other hand, at least he was there - most Likud members didn't even show up at the ceremony, in what is thought to be a deliberate show of disrespect.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
gently caress him!!! gently caress them!!!!!!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Ariel Sharon was a great man and he devoted his entire life to his work, which was always and forever the protection of the Jews! Netanyahu devoted his entire life to himself, to maximising and maintaining his own power by giving Israel what they thought they want (crushing oppression of the Palestinians) not what we as a people actually need (a secure but metropolitan sanctuary that can protect Jewish rights on an international scale) - but his overarching goal is maintaining his own luxurious life, he has no interest in other Jews as an endangered group and collection of cultures that need to be preserved. Ariel loves me even though he never met me and the land I'm living on now is completely unfamiliar to him (although it's still an arid sun-blasted endless plain that's really only good for goats and fat-tailed desert sheep, so he feels at least a little at home). Netanyahu loves Netanyahu. That's why Ariel has gone on in spirit form to continue spreading his message through me, and when Netanyahu dies his soul will crumble away to be reborn as an insignificant toadstool by the gates of our eternal kingdom when Moshiach returns. Ariel will rule as a king and I'll be one of his many wives, and he'll be one of my many husbands, and together we'll be polyps in a beautiful polysexual reef of great and accomplished Jews, which means I'll also be loving Leonard Cohen and King Solomon and Fredericka Mandelbaum and Vemie Holmgren and some of the Rothschilds.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Gotta say, Avshalom Theology needs a wider following.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I love you Ariel

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

At an official state memorial service for Ariel Sharon, held to mark the second anniversary of his passing, Netanyahu criticized his Gaza withdrawal as a failure and complained that it contributed to terrorism...right in the middle of his memorial speech for Sharon.

On the other hand, at least he was there - most Likud members didn't even show up at the ceremony, in what is thought to be a deliberate show of disrespect.

So lets say hypothetically Netenyahu dies or say the corruption stuff catches up to him in the next few years and we get a Jewish home or one of the more violent Likudniks. Would they try to re annex Gaza. (I know its insane. But then the Israel right isn't known for sanity). Also how influential are the "Temple Mount" people in Israel now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Gotta say, Avshalom Theology needs a wider following.

I agree entirely.

http://bookofariel.com/