Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kurieg posted:

I can't remember if the justice league cartoon did this, I do know Justice League: Doom did, and it had a pretty great exchange.

"With all that talk about unchecked power, you're still so arrogant you didn't bother to come up with a plan to stop yourself?"
"I do have a plan, it's called the Justice League."

It also has Superman tacitly approving of Batman's tactics while disapproving of his methods.

There's also this from DC Universe Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

mikemil828 posted:

Doesn't Scarecrow usually try to inject Batman with his fear toxin in these games rather than make him breathe it in? Not much point handicapping yourself with a gas mask when everyone is trying to stab you with an autoinjector.

Nope. Every time so far has involved Batman walking through an area, coughing and then suddenly hallucinations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

mikemil828 posted:

Doesn't Scarecrow usually try to inject Batman with his fear toxin in these games rather than make him breathe it in? Not much point handicapping yourself with a gas mask when everyone is trying to stab you with an autoinjector.

In Asylum it's 3-2 in favor of airborne gas over injection (and both injections happen in the same incident, immediately after a gassing). I forget how it goes in the other games. And even then, Scarecrow injecting Batman has a not-so-hidden advantage: either Scarecrow has to come in range of Batman's fists, or use a dart gun that can be evaded or blocked.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

With that outfit and that baseball bat she's basically Bad Girl from No More Heroes.

I miss the classic jester outfit.

Still, I like that her Detective Mode equivalent is Psycho Vision full of mental messages to herself.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

I don't know why ivy likes Harley...

In the animated series Joker kick out Harley for some reason or another and then she basically crash at Ivy's place for a few months. Since Harley basically was willing to help around the dump and do some girl's night out things she sort of grew on Ivy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ivy and Harley were like best friends in TAS.

Honestly, she's better for Harley than Joker.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Harley also tends to get somewhat saner whenever she's out from under the Joker's thumb; her befriending Ivy was actually healthy for her, criminal teamups notwithstanding.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I find it amusing that Harley's environmental takedown with the electrical panel isn't much different from Batman's (she throat-kicks them into it, he slams them face first into it). Definitely nonlethal there Bats :rolleyes:

And Ivy and Harley have a pretty interesting relationship. It doesn't get touched on much in these games - which is disappointing - but in the comics Ivy and Harley are everything from best friends to casual lovers, depending on the comic. Ivy has been portrayed a few times as being outright in love with her (Harley probably loves Ivy, but if pressed, she'll always put Joker first), though that doesn't mean that Ivy hasn't been known to hurt Harley. Ivy has, on occasion, been almost as abusive to Harley as Joker has.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CuwiKhons posted:

I find it amusing that Harley's environmental takedown with the electrical panel isn't much different from Batman's (she throat-kicks them into it, he slams them face first into it). Definitely nonlethal there Bats :rolleyes:

And Ivy and Harley have a pretty interesting relationship. It doesn't get touched on much in these games - which is disappointing - but in the comics Ivy and Harley are everything from best friends to casual lovers, depending on the comic. Ivy has been portrayed a few times as being outright in love with her (Harley probably loves Ivy, but if pressed, she'll always put Joker first), though that doesn't mean that Ivy hasn't been known to hurt Harley. Ivy has, on occasion, been almost as abusive to Harley as Joker has.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh hey, you made the thread. Good thing I checked the LP forum today.

Seeing that reminds me of this dumb comic I found last night that sounds exactly like something Harley would say. :allears:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CuwiKhons posted:

They're actually a couple in the current Harley comics (Harley's in NYC, I think, and has set up a squad of Harley-themed vigilantes) and Harley's most recent encounter with Joker ended with Harley pretty emphatically choosing Ivy over him.

Actual character growth in comic books!

Polaron fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 1, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've got a Poison Ivy question!

Does she start laughing to herself for no discernible reason because she's made out of leafy greens?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are these skins for the Batmobile unlockable and usable in the main game?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Poison Ivy already was a suspect for some late-game plot, given how easily she let herself get captured. That Harley mission set basically confirms it. So what's she going to do, turn the Gotham PD into an arboretum? Combine Scarecrow's fear gas with fertilizer?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Ivy's natural immunity to fear gas (and every other kind of poison) makes her an important part of Scarecrow's plans regardless of whether he even wants her to do anything for him at all. If she won't work with him, then she's a threat. Hence why she's locked up rather than Scarecrow going "oh you don't want to play? k well from one bioterrorist to another, have a nice night." If she's playing the long game then well, being in GCPD is a pretty good spot.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Waffleman_ posted:

Ivy and Harley were like best friends in TAS.

Honestly, she's better for Harley than Joker.

I seem to recall TAS pretty heavily hinted things were at least friends with benefits (as strongly as a kid's show could anyway) even in the episode that introduced the relationship between the two, considering there was at least one scene with the two of them basically wearing long shirts and nothing else. They definitely are a healthier relationship apart from the whole "evil criminals" both relationships have.

Also, just started messing with the additional DLC, and PC gets hosed over once again with Mad Hatter; whoever came up with the PC controls version of that hacking minigame deserved to have their balls kicked in (or else moved in different directions with VERY clumsy controls). Guess I'm waiting on the LP because I think it might be physically impossible to do the last one in that mission.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Poison Ivy already was a suspect for some late-game plot, given how easily she let herself get captured. That Harley mission set basically confirms it. So what's she going to do, turn the Gotham PD into an arboretum? Combine Scarecrow's fear gas with fertilizer?

I figured she was a bait to get Batman infected. This poo poo apparently has a trigger of some kind, so it seems to me that Scarecrow's plans so far are:

1. Get Batman to chase him down at his apartment, where he will 100% absolutely capture Poison Ivy, where she infects Batman through some manner. Bats is probably already pumped full of the stuff.

2. Evacuate Gotham in an effort to capitalize on killing Batman, while sending out a bunch of people who are already infected. One of his lines on the monitors is "Don't you wonder why I gave a warning?" which makes it pretty obvious he wants people out of the city. If we're dealing with something that's chemically activated like Oracle said, then it's going to be something Scarecrow wants to distribute as best he can nation-wide.

On an unrelated note to that, I absolutely hate Tara Strong as Harley Quinn. She gets a lot work because she's basically the female Yuri Lowenthal of voice-acting, but she can't do a cutesy voice without slipping into a stupid babyish nasally voice. It's especially bad because I had just rewatched Arkham Asylum that scruffy did a little bit ago, which featured the same actress as Batman: TAS, whereas Tara didn't get the role until Arkham City.

Seriously, jump around in the video for Asylum, where she gets nasally in places without going too squeaky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZmUTT6KKIA

And then listen to her voice at the end of the last video Scruffy just posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0__-VIyC6Qo&t=1238s

She can't turn off that super high pitched baby voice at all, and it doesn't help that it's what she does for basically every voice anyway.

It's just so, so bad when Asylum's Harley was so, so good, and even Assault on Arkham had a great Harley from what I can tell in the trailers. Why did it have to be her. :smith:

bawk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 1, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It specifically sounds like Tara Strong's Toot voice from Drawn Together. I don't really like this Harley. I saw someone make a good point that Deadpool is a very, very hard character to get right and should only be done if it's going to be bang on the money, and Harley Quinn is the same.

That said, good video, Scruffy! This game looks pretty rad, but I haven't gone next-gen yet.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Harley beating Nightwing in a straight fight... what?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

Harley beating Nightwing in a straight fight... what?

Really hurting for someone else they could've used in his place there, wow.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair he didn't look particularly beat up at the end there. He looked fully ready to go another 3 rounds but then Ivy dragged him off. So it's more Ivy solved the problem with bullshit plant powers rather than him outright losing to Quinn.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Everyone gets lucky sometime.

Maybe it should have been an incompetent Lockup she was fighting.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Speedball posted:

Maybe it should have been an incompetent Lockup she was fighting.

So... Lockup?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Harvey Bullock, maybe? I know he's not acrobatic or anything, but he's fought against criminals physically before, right? Or was that just in TAS?

citybeatnik posted:

They had to change one of the lines in that episode, since it seemed that Mark Hamill was incapable of saying "well haven't YOU two been a pair of busy beavers" without it being entirely too obvious what they were getting up to.

The innuendo in that line is priceless.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 1, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

MadDogMike posted:

I seem to recall TAS pretty heavily hinted things were at least friends with benefits (as strongly as a kid's show could anyway) even in the episode that introduced the relationship between the two, considering there was at least one scene with the two of them basically wearing long shirts and nothing else. They definitely are a healthier relationship apart from the whole "evil criminals" both relationships have.

They had to change one of the lines in that episode, since it seemed that Mark Hamill was incapable of saying "well haven't YOU two been a pair of busy beavers" without it being entirely too obvious what they were getting up to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't get it, what's so dirty about two friends taking up a whittling hobby together??

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I found the Harley/Ivy dynamic pretty uncomfortable and cringe-inducing, given that it came from Timm.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair he didn't look particularly beat up at the end there. He looked fully ready to go another 3 rounds but then Ivy dragged him off. So it's more Ivy solved the problem with bullshit plant powers rather than him outright losing to Quinn.

Yeah to me it looked like they went out of their way to work in a graceful loss by intervention even if Dick got slapped around hard in the actual fight. I think they went with a similar route in Origins with Shiva in that it seems like you can beat her silly in free flow but she's actually no worse for wear after.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Are these skins for the Batmobile unlockable and usable in the main game?

They don't have a tank mode, so not until you complete enough of the game that there is nothing left to fight in the Batmobile.

So no, not really.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The closest we get are paint jobs that make the bat-tank look kind of like them. Black paint and red stripes for example.

How great is it that the 66 racetrack looks like a stage?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The 89 track also has a bunch of cameras and other film equipment but the track is so dark it can be hard to see. I don't think it's spoilers to say that there is also a Dark Knight track (and Tumbler skin) which also has the move set motif.

There's also a Batman v Superman Batmobile skin, but the tracks that go along with it aren't themed to the movie.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8iRvQdSGA

Man, everything I see just make me like Ben Affleck as Batman more and more.

Also, a cameo from the best Batman: Lego Batman

Edit: Please tell me there's a themed racetrack for best Batman.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 1, 2016

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Kal-L posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8iRvQdSGA

Man, everything I see just make me like Ben Affleck as Batman more and more.

Also, a cameo from the best Batman: Lego Batman

Edit: Please tell me there's a themed racetrack for best Batman.

But we've already seen the '66 one. :confused:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Discendo Vox posted:

I found the Harley/Ivy dynamic pretty uncomfortable and cringe-inducing, given that it came from Timm.

on one hand, harley's character as written doesn't have room for anyone besides joker and ivy has always hated everyone without exception and so it kind of feels like the main motivation for it is boners.
on the other hand, looking at how loving cringe inducing grim and tough and gritty every rocksteady character has been (watch the loving calender man video last lp for god's sake), just ONE pair of villains taking a grittyness break to have one positive relationship is welcome, especially these two characters in particular.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I personally like the Harley/Ivy thing, along with the way she was portrayed in some of the more recent comics without Joker around, where she actually gets some positive relationships with other people. There was one where she visited someone in the hospital after they had kids? It might have been the injustice comic?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I personally like the Harley/Ivy thing, along with the way she was portrayed in some of the more recent comics without Joker around, where she actually gets some positive relationships with other people. There was one where she visited someone in the hospital after they had kids? It might have been the injustice comic?

Yeah that was Injustice Harley, she gets a lot of development because her Joker is dead and she mostly goes through the motions of being evil but stops fighting once she realizes that Black Canary is pregnant.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuramor posted:

But we've already seen the '66 one. :confused:

He said the best batman, so he didn't mean that one. I'm holding out hope he's right and we get more Animated Series Batman, the best one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'd say "Batman Beyond Batmobile" but that would just involve flying over the course ignoring obstacles because it's a loving jet.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Discendo Vox posted:

given that it came from Timm.

I must have missed something here, but why the problem with Timm?

I can't help but feel a sense of dread as to the answer, but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

mauman posted:

I must have missed something here, but why the problem with Timm?

I can't help but feel a sense of dread as to the answer, but I'm curious.

All I can think of is that the dude loves himself the cheesecake.

• Locked thread