Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

cmykjester posted:

Yeah, I kind of made it a rule that I'm not going to buy a new model until the one I have is completed. I already have a steam backlog, I don't need a model backlog too.

I give you six months.

e: poo poo, new page. So, that Astaroth.

People have mentioned that it looks like an 00 side-MS, and that's one of the reasons I like it, but I realised that it's not the main reason. It's the blatant asymmetry of the suit. We don't have too many of those in Gundam as a series; normally it's only the equipment that differentiates left and right (until you get to some of the later UC designs that stand as much chance of getting a modern kit as the Jegan does an MG). Beyond hands — mainly in things like the Acguy and Gouf, but also in some of the Origin prototypes — the range of asymmetry is even smaller. But on this glorious bastard, the lower legs are entirely different, as are the arms. And, y'know, the small shield on the left hand has what looks like a 1/100 hand, which makes me think of the Gouf R35.

Definitely picking this one up.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

I give you six months.

People have mentioned that it looks like an 00 side-MS, and that's one of the reasons I like it, but I realised that it's not the main reason. It's the blatant asymmetry of the suit. We don't have too many of those in Gundam as a series; normally it's only the equipment that differentiates left and right (until you get to some of the later UC designs that stand as much chance of getting a modern kit as the Jegan does an MG). Beyond hands — mainly in things like the Acguy and Gouf, but also in some of the Origin prototypes — the range of asymmetry is even smaller. But on this glorious bastard, the lower legs are entirely different, as are the arms. And, y'know, the small shield on the left hand has what looks like a 1/100 hand, which makes me think of the Gouf R35.

I do believe that it has one Graze arm and one Spinner Rodi arm, which is, like, next-level junky crap. Do wish that they'd made the head or some other bit a touch more sleek and high-tech-looking, though, to emphasise the mighty, ancient war machine under all that scrapyard mess.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

I give you six months.

I love the asymmetry too, but the lower legs aren't that different.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Hey honeys.

I've started making a WEBSITE, where you can document your Gunpla collection, wishlist and photos of your Gunpla.
It's in ~extreme beta~, hence the Bootstrap look (and it's not very nice on mobile - yet). Even the name of it sucks, so suggestions are welcome.

Have a little look, sign up, log in, etc: https://my-gunpla.herokuapp.com/

The thing is that I haven't got round to adding every model kit yet, so you can add missing kits (of which there are loving loads) with the button up top right if you feel brave enough!
Thank u and goodnight

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble deciding which kit to do next as I've already done the best two mobile suits. Does a BIG ZAM gunpla kit exist or are they mass produced now?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kuvo posted:

I'm having trouble deciding which kit to do next as I've already done the best two mobile suits. Does a BIG ZAM gunpla kit exist or are they mass produced now?

Do a Zock! http://dalong.net/review/hg/h81/h81_p.htm

e:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 29, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kuvo posted:

there's a 1/400 kit but I think it's hard to find?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kuvo posted:

MG Wing Gundam TV version.

MG Gundam X is not better. Don't listen to blitzblast's inevitable lies. :colbert:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Gundam Double X is even better than Gundam X

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only good looking suit to come out of wing was the tallgeese and according to dalong there isnt a HG or RG version of it?

Was thinking about going with the HG Gouf because Ramba Ral is cool and its no zaku.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just get the MG Tallgeese I. It's good, and literally about as complex as an RG except at a bigger scale so it's easier to put together.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

get a model of the best mobile suit

<--

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Droyer posted:

get a model of the best mobile suit

<--

I can also support this. The Tallgeese is acceptable, I guess.

Still, I highly recommend picking one of the Zeon aquatic suits and falling in love with the aesthetics.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kibner posted:

Still, I highly recommend picking one of the Zeon aquatic suits and falling in love with the aesthetics.

Preferably the Z'gok-E or Hygogg, the only two good aquatic mobile suits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuvo posted:

What grade do you hanker for? That may help us help you.

In HG terms, you already have a Qubeley, so have you considered a modern reinterpretation? The G-Lucifer is a very good kit.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I wanted Ramba Rals Gouf, which one of these would be the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-MS-07B-Mobile-Gundam/dp/B00030EVDY
http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Nations-Origin-Prototype/dp/B010NCH26O
http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-MS-06b-Custom-Model/dp/B0041F084S (isnt this the 8th MS team version?)

Darth Walrus posted:

What grade do you hanker for? That may help us help you.

HG or RG is fine

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

the first one

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kuvo posted:

The only good looking suit to come out of wing was the tallgeese and according to dalong there isnt a HG or RG version of it?

Was thinking about going with the HG Gouf because Ramba Ral is cool and its no zaku.

There's only the MG Tallgeese, and while it's a great kit and mobile suit, I will fight you all day for saying it's the only good Wing suit.

You can't go wrong with either the new HG Gouf or even the HG Gouf R35 from Build Fighters if you want a cool variation built by Ramba Ral himself.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you can wait a bit, there's a HG Gouf Revive coming out which will be a new mould.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you can wait a bit, there's a HG Gouf Revive coming out which will be a new mould.

Yeah, that seems like the best bet. It's coming out next month, so you really won't have to wait long.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'll do that then, thanks for the help

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In other news, the web-exclusive EZ-SR FOX HOUND is... quite something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That is a reasonably cool head.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The 1/100 gusion rebake is very backheavy, which is unsurprising as it basically has the weight of another kit on its back.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Nobody mentioned how the V-fin looks like a cowboy hat.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kibner posted:

He should get this

Then do a Zock after because it comes with extra decals for one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is that supposed to be all three at the same time?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

Is that supposed to be all three at the same time?

Pretty sure that's it, yeah. I don't remember that gun though.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Finished my first kit, Char's Zaku Origin version. It was really enjoyable and looks cool as hell. I'm definitely going to continue the hobby, but I'm not sure what kit I'll do next. I want to someday do a MG Sinanju, but I want some more practice first.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Bandai sack up and give me a MG Zogok.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Finally have some actual parts ready to show off for the Qubeley Papillon Definitive Edition. It's taken a LOT of reworks to get to this point, including basically cannibalizing many parts from my old snapbuild Papillon, but everything's comin' up Milhouse!

There is un-evenness in the finish, mostly because basement. I'm going to have to build a clean room, or at least source a crappy old table that I can get a big plastic container for a protective shield as parts dry. It only shows at close inspection, at least.

After having painted the parts with Alclad gloss black base, Alclad chrome, and Auto-Air candy teal mixed for airbrushing, I tried handbrushing Model Masters Pearl Orange enamel with the intent of cleaning it up with lighter fluid. The handbrushing wasn't so great, and I saw some Japanese Papillon builder airbrush in the detail parts first. After doing some research on the process, I opted to paint the parts in the desired color and then mask. On the right is the pearl orange airbrushed. On the left, the masked part with some Mr. Masking Sol Neo to cover a small gap between the two stickers. Both parts got the airbrushed Pearl Orange enamel, then a coat of Future left to cure overnight. On the normal Qubeley Papillon, stickers provide the detail color on the feet, calf armor, wrists, and wing binders, etc. Here, they're masking off the painted parts. The stickers got applied gently to my jeans and to the tablecloth in order to de-tack a little bit.

The results after masking off the other foot and re-doing the entire candy-coating paint process? Astonishing. It was tough to line up the stickers, but they had de-tacked enough to be maneuvered VERY GENTLY AND CAREFULLY. After completing the painting and letting it dry for an hour or so, I very gently slid the point of a fresh Xacto blade under a sticker to lift it. The rest of it was just tweezers.

The binders are HUGELY better without handbrushing. It's not possible at my handbrush skill level to do it properly. Double the fact that over gloss topcoat, it's really tough to get enough coats neatly built up.

The face shows off the Pearl Orange nicely on the Kamina-style shades.

A 1mm microbrush (you gotta try these, they sell 'em at your local hobby shop) and Model Masters steel enamel did the detail on the mouth. The camera and eyes are Mr. Metallic Color green, applied with toothpicks for the eyes and microbrush for the camera.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
I could use some help here. I'm new to this thread so maybe this has been talked about before (apologies if it has!), but I was cleaning and moved the Grey Wolf Zeta my husband and I were working on and it got knocked off the table and a piece broke. We tried plastic cement but it didn't hold, and I was wondering if there was a better method since it's somewhat load-bearing. I saw a video where some dude repaired a piece by putting metal pins in it but I don't know if this piece is thick enough for that. Suggestions? Here's a pic of the piece in question:

Blackish Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 1, 2016

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I think your best chance for that is to use multiple applications of strong superglue, and let each application dry for about a day before applying another one.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
Is Krazy Glue a good one to use or should I use a real super glue?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackish Sheep posted:

I would use real super glue, especially if this part is load-bearing as you stated.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

While we are in advice corner. I keep loving up waterslide decals. I've seen people do just a quick dip or a soak before siding it off but neither method has worked for me advice? Tips?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cerepol posted:

While we are in advice corner. I keep loving up waterslide decals. I've seen people do just a quick dip or a soak before siding it off but neither method has worked for me advice? Tips?

Soak until it starts to curl.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Seen it before.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 1, 2016

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Finished my first kit, Char's Zaku Origin version. It was really enjoyable and looks cool as hell. I'm definitely going to continue the hobby, but I'm not sure what kit I'll do next. I want to someday do a MG Sinanju, but I want some more practice first.

The new Gundam RX-78-2 HG would be a good second kit to go with your Char. Those were my first kits and now I can't stop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Blackish Sheep posted:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, follow through with this advice. Super glue is the worst possible choice for a fix of this kind and will only net you a soon-to-be-broken-again part that's been further ruined by thick layers of CA crud.

What's called for here is a solid weld with quality (i.e. non-Testors) plastic cement (it shouldn't "not hold" if allowed to set and cure properly) and probably filling the part with epoxy putty over a brass rod insert. It's not an especially simple fix, but there aren't a whole lot of effective options here.

I would personally go ahead and reinforce the other side in the same way, that looks absurdly fragile for what it is.

edit: an alternate method would be to cut plastic strips to fit and layer them inside the part, basically filling up the U-shape to strengthen the spar... same as above but faster and less materials-intensive (and also, frankly, less strong.) Super Glue would be fine, in fact ideal to use for this method because you're joining wide flat surfaces instead of thin, stress-bearing edges... one way or another, though, just gluing the pieces back together isn't going to cut it.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 1, 2016