Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

John Oliver really is the true successor to Jon Stewart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
funny way to say Samantha bee

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i been on one date my entire life and it went pretty well so i am never going to date again so i have the best average ever

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Podima posted:

:yeah:

Also hello Pander, how was Japan?

Wish I could actually experience it for reals. Stuck on an Air Force Base most of the time in a very remote corner working pretty long days. It's tiring but a lot more rewarding than my last work and I'm learning stuff (exterior electrical distribution system analysis and design). Unfortunately leaves me with too little time to really keep up with fast moving threads like this one. I'm apparently 1000 posts behind since this one, yikes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Rarity posted:

By the way, who the hell goes straight to dinner for a first date? Just hit up a pub/bar and get a few drinks together imo :colbert:

Alternatively: bowling. Everyone loves bowling!

This is correct.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I hate bowling

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tommunist posted:

I hate bowling

Must be hard to find a 6lb ball that can fit your fingers.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
When I bowl I will only use the heaviest ball I can find, to demonstrate my strength

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
same with softball, if you aren't literally using the heaviest bat allowed by your league then just loving lmbo

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Someday they will make a bat so heavy I cannot swing it, until then...

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I hate people who split checks down the middle. Why would you do that?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Personally I always tip 20%, also Palestine, Abortion, Circumcision

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

I hate people who split checks down the middle. Why would you do that?

lol what? Why wouldn't you

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
In a big group of shared food fine, whatever.

When two people order their own food, just get separate bills why split down the middle?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just pay because I have a lot of money and a terrible personality, so it's a good way to get people to like me

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

In a big group of shared food fine, whatever.

When two people order their own food, just get separate bills why split down the middle?

Having worked in restaurants, I know that it is annoying to the wait staff to have to split checks, and I don't mind if I end up paying a couple bucks more than I might have otherwise to avoid hassling somebody, especially if I am out with someone that I will hang out with again, assuming sometimes my check might be more sometimes less

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not saying that you shouldn't split checks, do whatever. I was mostly commenting on lilmacs comment that just paying half works for a lot of people

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I am going to spend half my tax returns taking my girlfriend to a fancy hotel next week and taking her to Bern's Steakhouse.

If I have enough left over I am going to take her up on a hot air balloon and ask her to marry me.

Otherwise I'll save up and do the that last part later this year.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 27, 2020

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

EccoRaven posted:

risky. what if she says no?

She will not say no. We have been together for almost 7 years and I already have the ring bought waiting for the right time, she also knows that I have the ring already bought and hidden very well from her.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

on dates it breaks down entirely by gender of the date but I talked about that earlier.

Id say on a date it comes down to quality of the date. If date is bad lol if you think i'm paying for her anything besides what I personally consumed!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

I am going to spend half my tax returns taking my girlfriend to a fancy hotel next week and taking her to Bern's Steakhouse.

If I have enough left over I am going to take her up on a hot air balloon and ask her to marry me.

Otherwise I'll save up and do the that last part later this year.

I will give you 20 dollars if you offer her an onion ring instead of an engagement ring. 20 dollars cash money.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I will give you 20 dollars if you offer her an onion ring instead of an engagement ring. 20 dollars cash money.

I will give you an additional $20.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EccoRaven posted:

risky. what if she says no?

He has the rest of the balloon ride to change her mind.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like most people, by the time they're planning to ask the question, have a reasonable idea if the person will say yes or no.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 27, 2020

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:allears:

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if a sudden gust swipes the ring from your grip? Onion rings are much more viable since you can keep a bushel of them in your pocket.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I was gonna make that joke, Ecco, but then thought better of it.

Also when I was with my ex I paid when we started going out because she was a poor masters student and I had 2 jobs, and then after she got hired by the lab we split, and now we get lunch every month or so and she pays. Probably because she feels bad. That is my story about paying for meals.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

imgay posted:

What if a sudden gust swipes the ring from your grip? Onion rings are much more viable since you can keep a bushel of them in your pocket.

Imgay raises am important point. An onion ring is just sensible.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

imgay posted:

:yeah:

Also good luck CPig!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Why doesn't everybody just date somebody who is either from a wealthy family or very successful, I don't get it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I feel like most people, by the time they're planning to ask the question, have a reasonable idea if the person will say yes or no.

You would think this, and you would be sensible to assume as such, but nah.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Idris Elba is playing Roland in dark tower movie. Gonna be weird when the black girl in book 2 starts calling him honkey.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CCKeane posted:

Why doesn't everybody just date somebody who is either from a wealthy family or very successful, I don't get it.

:agreed: and if you are coming up short on those two fronts, find someone who has a relative that works somewhere you'd like free stuff from.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Guys this has nothing to do with dating, but my favourite complaint I get while TAing is someone bitching about their mark and saying "I worked really hard on it" or "I spent a lot of time on it" or "I wrote a lot" like that means anything. You didn't complete half of the required sections, I don't care that you spent hours making fancy colourful headngs.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

JakeP posted:

Having worked in restaurants, I know that it is annoying to the wait staff to have to split checks, and I don't mind if I end up paying a couple bucks more than I might have otherwise to avoid hassling somebody, especially if I am out with someone that I will hang out with again, assuming sometimes my check might be more sometimes less

I also have anecdotal evidence (four years as a server) that splitting by seat and splitting into equal bills are both, at any modern restaurant, devastatingly easy tasks. The idea that it's difficult to split by seat is a myth with the advent of modern POS machines: there's no reason to ever split equally among everyone. You pay for yourself.

The only time it's hassling someone is if you're at some old-timey place with an ancient cash register, and even then it's not that hard to do math if you're a server and math is like 25% of your job.

Also, perhaps there needs to be a differentiation made between splitting (which to me means equal no matter what you ordered) and separate (you pay for what you are).

TL;dr i have strong opinions about separate checks for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Guys this has nothing to do with dating, but my favourite complaint I get while TAing is someone bitching about their mark and saying "I worked really hard on it" or "I spent a lot of time on it" or "I wrote a lot" like that means anything. You didn't complete half of the required sections, I don't care that you spent hours making fancy colourful headngs.

Tell them that life is not fair